closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple or Microsoft ?

Apple or Microsoft ?

For the last 23 or more years I have used Microsoft Windows and had a iPhone for 12 years or so and a ipad for 5 years which I only use when traveling so it hasent had much use but a couple of my kids and grand kids have Macbook's and I really like the look of them compared to the laptops I have had over the years, so slim and sleek and shiny.

I decided to buy a used one off the forum (MacBook Air) just to play with, lovely bit of kit.

Having now used it a little I still think I prefer windows but early days yet, am I missing something or is it just down to personnel preference ?

Personnel preference.

Both. I view a computer as a tool for running software. I use an M1 MacBook Air as my main personal computer, primarily because of Apple Photos. I have a Windows 10 desktop for gaming. At work I use a Windows 10 laptop. It runs the software I need for my job; Teams, Edge, Word, Excel, Outlook and the VPN software we use to connect to customer sites.

I think it's all personal preference?
    I prefer the Mac to any windows PC I have to use at work. However, I prefer my android phone to an iphone (which the rest of my family have).
    Rolex or Omega? AP or Patek? etc etc

Apple are good, just overpriced for the power of the machine.

I have been building my own windows PC`s for over 10 years and even a 7 year old could do it these days. I have seen harder Lego kits

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Both. I view a computer as a tool for running software. I use an M1 MacBook Air as my main personal computer, primarily because of Apple Photos. I have a Windows 10 desktop for gaming. At work I use a Windows 10 laptop. It runs the software I need for my job; Teams, Edge, Word, Excel, Outlook and the VPN software we use to connect to customer sites.
    I have been toying with buying Office 365 for the Mac because I use Word and Excel on my windows pc but can't decide if its worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I have been toying with buying Office 365 for the Mac because I use Word and Excel on my windows pc but can't decide if its worth buying.
    I would say it is, but I use it for work, you don’t have that problem 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    I used to use windows and various unix flavours (redhat, Solaris etc) at work and MacOS at home.

Now I am not working I exclusively use MacOS - no more internable windows patches. Also MacOS has Linux OS similarities via terminal so can get to sudo if necessary.

for me - MacOS.

Oh - the whole product stack is cool - and with the new M1 chip the whole is designed together and supported from one vendor. Take that as a positive or negative.

I don't have office on my personal laptop at all. I can get a licence for £10 through work but I'm happy with Google Sheets/Docs/Slides.

In terms of OS I use Mac for personal and Windows for work, both work well. If you already have a keyboard/mouse/screen the Mac mini is unbeatable for the price.

I have an Office365 family account. It include 1TB of OneDrive storage per user and 60 minutes of Skype calls to most locations in the world as well as access to the full Office suite on PC and Mac. It really is good value.

Master
    One thing I have noticed in ppt is that lack of the crop to shape function. Small but annoying issue.

I haven’t noticed any peculiar aspects in the other office tools though. However my life does seem to be spent in ppt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    I need to replace my iMac so was waiting for the new iMac model announced yesterday. I’m only a light user so the price of £1249 is a lot. I can pick up the M1 MacBook Air laptop for a lot less. My current iMac has served me well for many years. Realistically how many years could I reasonably expect the MacBook Air to last before needing to be replaced? I doubt it would leave my desk very often.
    I tend to have mine for 5-6 years, but then it’s more a desire for something newer or new requirements like bigger hd than the computer wearing out. And then there is still some residual value.

Given the quantum leap in performance and the low heat emission from M1 I think you can safely keep it until it’s deemed obsolete by apple (eg not compatible with new iOS) which tends to be around 8 years, unless you do things which requires fast hardware.

I will personally go for the new iMac and just bite the bullet in terms of added storage and ram, should last 5-10 years.
    Last edited by jonasy; 21st April 2021 at 09:36.

Blog Entries
    I need to replace my iMac so was waiting for the new iMac model announced yesterday. I’m only a light user so the price of £1249 is a lot. I can pick up the M1 MacBook Air laptop for a lot less. My current iMac has served me well for many years. Realistically how many years could I reasonably expect the MacBook Air to last before needing to be replaced? I doubt it would leave my desk very often.
    Hopefully the new M1 versions of the MacBook Air have solved the keyboard problems inherent with the earlier versions. My sister had to send her new M1 MacBook Air back for replacement as one of the USB-C ports was faulty.

Nevertheless I also have a new M1 MacBook Air and find it faultless.

The big diff between it and my iMac is of course it is completely integrated - so if any one thing breaks the whole thing goes (screen, folding hinge, keyboard, pad controller etc. Once you add 512GB version it takes it over £1000 so you may prefer an iMac if it’s deskbound? Depends what form factor you like.

I hope to replace my late 2012 iMac which still runs fine on just quad-core Intel i5 CPU - since I replace the HDD with and OWC SSD it is running quicker than new! But I fancy the new M1 based one.

Anyway - as said above it will probably last as long as it’s not obsolete - maybe 10years? The software will be it’s limiting factor
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd April 2021 at 16:40.

I use my MacBook exclusively as a windows laptop, but use iOS and 365 for Mac on my home office iMac.

Both options seem to work these days without too much of an issue.
    It's just a matter of time...

I still use my 2012 MacBook Air with the 27” Apple screen, does seem slow compared to my newish iPad Pro

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Hopefully the new M1 versions of the MacBook Air have solved the keyboard problems inherent with the earlier versions. My sister had to send her new M1 MacBook Air back for replacement as one of the USB-C ports was faulty.

Nevertheless I also have a new M1 MacBook Air and find it faultless.

The big diff between it and my iMac is of course it is completely integrated - so if any one thing breaks the whole thing goes (screen, folding hinge, keyboard, pad controller etc. Once you add 512GB version it takes it over £1000 so you may prefer an iMac if it’s deskbound? Depends what form factor you like.

I hope to replace my late 2012 iMac which still runs fine on just quad-core Intel i5 CPU - since I replace the HDD with and OWC SSD it is running quicker than new! But I fancy the new M1 based one.

Anyway - as said above it will probably last as long as it’s not obsolete - maybe 10years? The software will be it’s limiting factor

Early days yet, but talk of ssd longevity issues with the M1 soc, personally if I didn’t 100% need a new machine I’d hold out for the second gen chips.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ap...-in-some-cases

Alternative view:
    https://9to5mac.com/2021/03/11/m1-mac-ssd-wear/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Early days yet, but talk of ssd longevity issues with the M1 soc, personally if I didn’t 100% need a new machine I’d hold out for the second gen chips.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ap...-in-some-cases

Alternative view:
    https://9to5mac.com/2021/03/11/m1-mac-ssd-wear/
    This issue has moved on since those articles:

After this article originally posted in March, there have been further reports that would seem to indicate that a lot of the excess swapping is due to Rosetta 2, and even more specifically, browsers that aren’t optimized for M1 and using said translation layer. The evidence I’ve seen for this being the case it rather compelling, but not foolproof. Regardless, bug your favorite software vendor for an ARM/M1 release.
    https://www.macworld.com/article/338...-lifespan.html

switched to a Mac about 10 years ago and haven't looked back... my windows laptops were periodically breaking down (all sorts of random issues). And I've never had a problem with my MacBooks (3rd one now).