closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Elgin Pocket Watch

Craftsman

Elgin Pocket Watch

I'm slowly working through bits and pieces from my father's estate. Whilst ever-hopeful that I'll find an old Rolex he'd never mentioned, I have come across this Elgin watch, which I assume to have been his father's, rather than his.
    It's probably been in a drawer, untouched, for at least 50 years. Nevertheless, I couldn't help myself, and gave it a small wind - it started immediately!

I just had a quick Google, and can see I have to open it up to age it properly - which I don't fancy doing. I'd assume it's inter-war - my grandfather survived 1916-18 on the front line in the Gloucester Volunteer Artillery (a few decades back, we also found his .455 Gibbs revolver tucked behind his hot water tank, which caused quite a stir at the time!) and he then had a career in foodstuffs- I'm assuming he bought it sometime during that career.

I'm not emotionally-wedded to the watch -I'm quite sure both of them would rather I turned it into something useable for my brats; and am left wondering if it has value. It has no assay markings, so, presumably a brass / plated watch, so I'm assuming the answer is 'no', but would be delighted if someone says 'yes'!

I can see the chain is 9ct, on the kitchen scale it weighs approx 23g, which google tells me puts it at c300 scrap, but is it likely to have value beyond scrap weight?

.. and grateful for any other info/advice.

Case backs are usually fairly easy to remove on pocket watches many have a button to open them or a little clip. It would be nice to have a look at the movement.

In regards to value I really dont know, it appears to be in good condition but pocket watches dont really sell for a lot. Perhaps 1-200?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Case backs are usually fairly easy to remove on pocket watches many have a button to open them or a little clip. It would be nice to have a look at the movement.

In regards to value I really dont know, it appears to be in good condition but pocket watches dont really sell for a lot. Perhaps 1-200?
    Thanks - I'll have a proper look for a release of some sort. Yup, had a feeling it isn't likely to realise much 😕

Elgin Pocket Watch

It might well be filled gold rather than plated. Its still gold on top of a base metal but a step up in quality and resilience, because it is a lot thicker.

Its a nice looking watch and in lovely condition. The movement will be interesting to see. I dont think it is an Elgin watch. I think that the mark on the case says Illinois Watch Case Co., Elgin. Is that right? This company was a well respected case maker based in Elgin, but had no direct connection with Elgin Watch Company. The case would have been sold in a batch to a jeweller or manufacturer who would have cased up separately purchased movements.

https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Illinois-Watch-Case-Co
    Last edited by alfat33; 20th April 2021 at 19:41.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    It might well be filled gold rather than plated. Its still gold on top of a base metal but a step up in quality and resilience, because it is a lot thicker.

Its a nice looking watch and in lovely condition. The movement will be interesting to see.
    Thanks - not heard of filled gold before, I'll have a Google!

If I summon the courage to open it, I'll post pics 👍😊

Elgin Pocket Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    Thanks - not heard of filled gold before, I'll have a Google!

If I summon the courage to open it, I'll post pics 👍😊
    Not sure if you saw my full post, about the Illinois Watch Case Company.

I did a bit more digging. The trademark on the case shows this is an Elgin Giant case made by Illinois.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/guid...-watch-case-co

Scroll down a fair bit and you will come to the entry. Probably 10K gold filled although potentially solid gold so look carefully for a marking (eg 14K, 10 years, etc., not a UK style hallmark).
    Last edited by alfat33; 20th April 2021 at 19:56.

Craftsman

I did a bit more digging. The trademark on the case shows this is an Elgin Giant case made by Illinois.

Scroll down a fair bit and you will come to the entry. Probably 10K gold filled although potentially solid gold so look carefully for a marking (eg 14K, 10 years, etc., not a UK style hallmark).
    Apols, you're right, I didn't read it properly. I will now, though - very grateful!

Craftsman

This is amazing - I'm really glad I asked, and thank you! 😊

Looking through that the watch seems to have a combination of the marks:

Craftsman
    First close look prompted me to look closely at the marks I took to be fine scratches (at 6 o'clock on the zoomed out photo).

Craftsman
    I took a breath and worked out how to open the case back.

This is the text - would I be correct in thinking that it means the case has a form of gold filling?

Craftsman
    And a few pics of the movt

Well done, nice to see. The case is gold filled as you say, 20 Years means it is good quality gold filled. 10 Years is also quite common.

The markings you find are probably a job reference made by a watch maker when it was serviced. If you collect enough old watches you see loads of these. Pretty much impossible to decipher but nice to see anyway.

Now you just need to figure out the movement. Im not very good at recognising them but others on the forum are. You could also try this database: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...ranfft&0&2uswk . Not an easy task unless you have something to go on.

The serial number on the case might also allow you to date the watch if you can find a reference list for the Illinois company.

Master
    I have a Waltham pocket watch that is covered in filled gold. The gold is guaranteed for 20 years which, I was told, is better than average. The winding knob is back to the base metal but the rest of the watch is pretty good.

I bought a box of bits and bobs mainly because it had a novelty teapot in it which the wife fancied and the watch was down in the bottom. I paid 20 for the lot and this must have been 30 years ago.

Craftsman
    Well done, nice to see. The case is gold filled as you say, 20 Years means it is good quality gold filled. 10 Years is also quite common.

The markings you find are probably a job reference made by a watch maker when it was serviced. If you collect enough old watches you see loads of these. Pretty much impossible to decipher but nice to see anyway.

Now you just need to figure out the movement. Im not very good at recognising them but others on the forum are. You could also try this database: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...ranfft&0&2uswk . Not an easy task unless you have something to go on.

The serial number on the case might also allow you to date the watch if you can find a reference list for the Illinois company.
    It does seem odd (to me!)to have 'Swiss Made' on both the dial and movt, but no indication of maker.
    Quite striking to look at the movt - definitely has its own beauty.

I'll have a look for the Illinois date data, and a dig through the movt database

Thanks!😊😊

Blog Entries
    It looks like a nice watch. A quick search doesn't bring up the exact movement. Pity Brendan from webwatchmaker can't have a look, he might know.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It looks like a nice watch. A quick search doesn't bring up the exact movement. Pity Brendan from webwatchmaker can't have a look, he might know.
    Elgin are highly regarded because nearly all of their mechanisms were made in house. So the chances are it is an Elgin mechanism but you can't be entirely sure.

Yes Brendan would have given a definitive answer but sadly he is not here. Sometimes this place cuts off its nose to spite its face.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Elgin are highly regarded because nearly all of their mechanisms were made in house. So the chances are it is an Elgin mechanism but you can't be entirely sure.

Yes Brendan would have given a definitive answer but sadly he is not here. Sometimes this place cuts off its nose to spite its face.
    Mick, true enough about Elgin, but this isnt an Elgin watch.

Master
    The case is Elgin and filled gold was popular with them. As regards to the movement it could be that the original mechanism was discarded for whatever reason and a swiss movement dropped back in. That was quite a common practice in days of old.

Yes Brendan would have given a definitive answer but he is not here. He cut off his nose to spite his face. Oh and lives in a bedsit.
    FTFY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    FTFY
    Loosing Brendan was not beneficial for the forum. I would like to see him back. He would have answered this question dead easy.

The case is Elgin and filled gold was popular with them.
    The case isnt Elgin. It was made by Illinois Watch Case Company who were based in Elgin.

The case isnt Elgin. It was made by Illinois Watch Case Company who were based in Elgin.
    Does that make it an IWC?

/I'll get me coat

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Does that make it an IWC?

/I'll get me coat
    Same thing crossed my mind.

Loosing Brendan was not beneficial for the forum. I would like to see him back. He would have answered this question dead easy.
    I agree and disagree. Shame to have him gone but his behaviour gave Eddie no choice and it's an overall healthier forum without him. He would've been able to answer this though I'm sure.

Craftsman
    Sounds useful ; I'd like to ask him. Is he on any other forums?

Blog Entries
    Sounds useful ; I'd like to ask him. Is he on any other forums?
    https://www.webwatchmaker.co.uk

Craftsman
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk
    Did you find out any more?

Craftsman
    Did you find out any more?
    I haven't dropped him a line yet - I'll report back with any new info👍

I believe the watch is technically an Illinois watch, cased by the Illinois Watch Case Company, and powered by a "generic" Swiss-made movement.

The Illinois Watch Case Company of Springfield, IL:

Blog Entries
    I haven't dropped him a line yet - I'll report back with any new info

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I believe the watch is technically an Illinois watch, cased by the Illinois Watch Case Company, and powered by a "generic" Swiss-made movement.

PC. Perhaps you can help me convince MickP, Ive not done too well so far.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

I'm not fully grasping the nuance you're spelling out there - sorry - could you re-explain?