timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Man murdered for his Rolex

Man murdered for his Rolex

Tragic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...r-56803693.amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes tragic but it seems, reading it, it was more that he was just attacked and happened to be wearing a Rolex. Nowhere except in the headline does it state he was robbed for his Rolex. BBC doing its worst again.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Yes tragic but it seems, reading it, it was more that he was just attacked and happened to be wearing a Rolex. Nowhere except in the headline does it state he was robbed for his Rolex. BBC doing its worst again.
    Other news sources are available with the exact same story. His watch has never been found.

I'm guessing he wouldn't have been attacked had he not been wearing a watch. I don't think the BBC are at fault here. It's a shocking attack and would make me think twice about wearing a Submariner in Wigan. (Not that I ever plan on visiting Wigan mind you).

Nowhere except in the headline does it state he was robbed for his Rolex. BBC doing its worst again.
    Third paragraph:

“ Manchester Crown Court heard he had been drinking in a nearby pub with Lewis Peake, 29, who decided to steal the 18-carat watch he was wearing.”

Master
    Any excuse to trash the BBC....who seem to have offered a straightforward account of a horrid crime.
    In what way is that the ‘BBC doing its worst’?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Any excuse to trash the BBC....who seem to have offered a straightforward account of a horrid crime.
    In what way is that the ‘BBC doing its worst’?
    Calm down, its not the bear pit... :0(

Master
    Misread it, apologies. So I'm wrong about the Beeb this time.

Master
    Misread it, apologies. So I'm wrong about the Beeb this time.
    That’s a gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Calm down, its not the bear pit... :0(
    And yet we have to tolerate the BBC panning?

Reminds me of the "Come back soon, Boris, the country needs you" post that was fine, but people saying we were better off without him were 'bringing politics into the G&D"...

While Mr Bannister has admitted his error, he has rather "Pritti'd" it with "I was wrong about the Beeb this time".

M
    Last edited by snowman; 21st April 2021 at 18:50.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    As someone who worked in BBC News for thirty years, I can tell you that while not perfect , of course,
    people do try very hard. But the ‘truth’ is an endlessly evasive and slippery thing. That’s just how it is. Tricky........

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    As someone who worked in BBC News for thirty years, I can tell you that while not perfect , of course,
    people do try very hard. But the ‘truth’ is an endlessly evasive and slippery thing. That’s just how it is. Tricky........
    Have to agree having my partner work in this said environment. I know too well the standard the Beeb have for news. Which is much higher than other providers.

We will miss it once it’s gone like the NHS.

But like the NHS and easy target for many.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    The moral of the story is to really think about wearing something expensive in a pub and having it on display. It's a very sad state of affairs and in a perfect world, it shouldn't be a problem but we don't live in a perfect world.

Master
    It's a shocking story and does make you think twice about wearing an expensive watch out.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sad story indeed.

Unfortunately as the wealth divide increases, so will these types of crimes.

Lot more detail here - far from a random attack.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...x-court-hears/

Craftsman
    That’s shocking, scum

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    It's a shocking story and does make you think twice about wearing an expensive watch out.

Told a random male stranger in a pub - that he had just had the watch valued......................

I don't think the act of 'wearing' it- was the principle factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Lot more detail here - far from a random attack.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...x-court-hears/
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Told a random male stranger in a pub
    So many bizarre aspects to that story.

• Decides in the middle of a pandemic to travel to London in order to fly to Thailand.
    • Changes mind because of the quarantine period, but apparently did not think of this before setting out.
    • Upon arriving back in Wigan, decides "I wonder how much this watch I'm wearing is worth" and so heads straight to Goldsmiths before even bothering to drop off his suitcase
    • Next stop is the pub, where he promptly tells some stranger the value
    • Stranger then goes outside and tries to pay the first other randos he can find £100 to help him rob the first guy. Faiis.
    • Finally, successfully recruits some other youths who just got off a train from Liverpool, who predictably rob the pair of them and immediately head home, using the £100 robbery fee to pay for their taxi.
    • Having failed to steal the Rolex, stranger makes a point of returning to the scene to steal the suitcase.

🤔

Moral of the story - don't wear an expensive watch and tell random strangers how much its worth without expecting some consequences. No excuse though for their heinous actions - they should be jailed for life or worse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Moral of the story - don't wear an expensive watch and tell random strangers how much its worth without expecting some consequences. No excuse though for their heinous actions - they should be jailed for life or worse.
    Another moral - don’t go and sit in a church yard with a complete stranger and take drugs with them, after saying how much your watch is worth.

In an ideal world - one can go about one's life with the expectation that one won't be robbed, assaulted, or murdered.

In the real world - don't flaunt ostentatious symbols of wealth; don't engage in bouts of reality-altering substance abuse in the company of total strangers.

I would prefer to live in an ideal world, but have to recognise that I live in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    So many bizarre aspects to that story.

• Decides in the middle of a pandemic to travel to London in order to fly to Thailand.
    • Changes mind because of the quarantine period, but apparently did not think of this before setting out.
    • Upon arriving back in Wigan, decides "I wonder how much this watch I'm wearing is worth" and so heads straight to Goldsmiths before even bothering to drop off his suitcase
    • Next stop is the pub, where he promptly tells some stranger the value
    • Stranger then goes outside and tries to pay the first other randos he can find £100 to help him rob the first guy. Faiis.
    • Finally, successfully recruits some other youths who just got off a train from Liverpool, who predictably rob the pair of them and immediately head home, using the £100 robbery fee to pay for their taxi.
    • Having failed to steal the Rolex, stranger makes a point of returning to the scene to steal the suitcase.

He was all at sea after a relationship breaking down. And might just have been a naive, vulnerable character.

Sometimes life just throws the wrong people together at the wrong time.

The killers would likely have killed or caused serious injury to someone else, somewhere down the line, now they’ll end up in a cage where they belong. Callous scum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    He was all at sea after a relationship breaking down. And might just have been a naive, vulnerable character.

Sometimes life just throws the wrong people together at the wrong time.

The killers would likely have killed or caused serious injury to someone else, somewhere down the line, now they’ll end up in a cage where they belong. Callous scum.
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    In an ideal world - one can go about one's life with the expectation that one won't be robbed, assaulted, or murdered.

In the real world - don't flaunt ostentatious symbols of wealth; don't engage in bouts of reality-altering substance abuse in the company of total strangers.

I would prefer to live in an ideal world, but have to recognise that I live in the real world.
    I think you missed the life lesson about not drinking in Wetherspoons.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I think you missed the life lesson about not drinking in Wetherspoons.
    I do prefer real pubs, but have been known to enter JD's in an emergency, suitably de-blinged of course.

Craftsman
    Tragic waste of a life ,a very bizarre story there must be more to it than meets the eye .

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Great post.

Rolex Thugs Strike Again – Decision Time!
    https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/202...decision-time/
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Rolex Thugs Strike Again – Decision Time!
    https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/202...decision-time/
    The conclusion of that article being - carry a gun and shoot first OR don’t wear a Rolex?

Blog Entries

Reminds me of the series 'The Serpent'.

Bet a few ageing hippies watched that and breathed a sigh of relief.

(yes)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Another moral - don’t go and sit in a church yard with a complete stranger and take drugs with them, after saying how much your watch is worth.
    That's a lesson for us all, I feel.

Craftsman
    Just jumped in and read all the above.
    So sad in that it makes me feel nervous about wearing mine and I live in what some may class, Cambridge, as a decent area.

Journeyman
    Iv seen a lot of this though... people being targeted in central london for their watches. Its become easy pickings for scooter thiefs