closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PP, no papers, bad idea or reasonable deal?

Master

PP, no papers, bad idea or reasonable deal?

Hi all,

WF have a 5146G-010 for sale at the moment which caught my eye & has really got me thinking about a big consolidation.......... until i finally noticed it was Box but No Papers.

I feel i know the answer as i've never bought without before and can't 100% rule out selling in future, despite best intentions so would ask the collective view on how bad an idea that might be?

Alternatively at £24,950 i'm not convinced it's discounted enough for that? There's a UK private seller with papers on C24 at £25k, but the pictures imply it's a little 'used' although maybe the lighting is a bit unforgiving.

Would you take the risk ex papers?

Alex

Nope..

Craftsman
    Everything has a price right, the fact you are questioning this sounds like you should go with your gut.

You are buying from reliable source, not some dubious brick and mortar store.

Master
    It comes with a manufacturer warranty so there’s no issue about authenticity. Watchfinder will usually trim something off the price.

Master
    I guess I was more concerned about possible issues with resale if it came to it without them, versus authenticity which I was comfortable with due to warranty and WF themselves.

Master
    It looks like it has just been serviced by Patek as it references almost 2 years manufacturer warranty. Ask them if the service papers are included. If they are, and the price is right, then no problem at all. Even without the service papers, it’s all down to price. It’s just worth less than a full set but someone will always buy it for the right price.

Grand Master
    An ‘extract from the archives’ would bridge most of the gap in value of that piece
    RIAC

Master
    I think the rules have changed and it appears they won’t do the extract for watches built after 1989. Service papers are a good point.
    A call to WF tomorrow I think

- - - Updated - - -

I think the rules have changed and it appears they won’t do the extract for watches built after 1989. Service papers are a good point.
    A call to WF tomorrow I think

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    You are buying from reliable source, not some dubious brick and mortar store.
    Pardon ?

https://www.policeprofessional.com/n...k-for-support/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    It looks like it has just been serviced by Patek as it references almost 2 years manufacturer warranty. Ask them if the service papers are included. If they are, and the price is right, then no problem at all. Even without the service papers, it’s all down to price. It’s just worth less than a full set but someone will always buy it for the right price.
    I echo that. Also - consider how long you plan keeping the watch. Once you've have it serviced it will have 'papers' that way. I wonder how WF can say the length of service without the service papers being present? Consider if it is a decent price for a watch that is £30K+ at MRP and t has been recently serviced too (cost >£1K). Personally I'd want the service papers else you are just taking WF word.

I have the 5146J and will not leave my collection.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 19th April 2021 at 21:38.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    In their defence - this article was dated 2017. WF seem to be rather fastidious in having the original sales receipt in any quote these days. I guess they got stung hard by that crook.

Master
    That’s quite reassuring, so will definitely be speaking to them tomorrow.

Now have the tricky decisions on what has to go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
    That’s quite reassuring, so will definitely be speaking to them tomorrow.

Now have the tricky decisions on what has to go.
    If you don't mind a slightly older version - this is a cheaper price - rather tasty!

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%...66/item/146523

Master
    I like it, but prefer the sleeper in WG.

Too high for a no papers example. Plus, gold Patek’s should be Yellow or Rose :)

it appears they won’t do the extract for watches built after 1989.
    Very interesting. What’s the source for that please?

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Very interesting. What’s the source for that please?
    PP maybe?

https://www.patek.com/en/retail-serv...m-the-archives

Master
    Well that's unfortunate.... as i just went to call & someone else has obviously taken a view and it's gone.

Onwards & time to consider my options now.

Thanks all.

Journeyman
    Hi all,

WF have a 5146G-010 for sale at the moment which caught my eye & has really got me thinking about a big consolidation.......... until i finally noticed it was Box but No Papers.

I feel i know the answer as i've never bought without before and can't 100% rule out selling in future, despite best intentions so would ask the collective view on how bad an idea that might be?

Alternatively at £24,950 i'm not convinced it's discounted enough for that? There's a UK private seller with papers on C24 at £25k, but the pictures imply it's a little 'used' although maybe the lighting is a bit unforgiving.

Would you take the risk ex papers?

Alex
    I wudnt chance it. Would you buy a car with no log book?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk