closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you trust an autonomous car?

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    You do that every time you drive your car, if it's in any way modern. The engine, brakes, steering, handbrake, lights, etc are all controlled by computers. Using your brake pedal is no different to using a mouse and keyboard on your computer, it's just an instruction to a computer, which in-turn operates something mechanical.
    Yes, I appreciate that (to a degree, you overstate the computer control in some respects, few, if any, cars are steer by wire, for example), but you have the option to steer or turn the car off.

You still have some control (or input anyway), whereas truly autonomous vehicles won't have that, I'm sure, one day.

All the decision making will be machine controlled as well as the mechanics of driving.

At that point, they'll probably be safer than driving yourself, but that's a long way off yet.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 29th April 2021 at 07:56.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, do the tractors use just GPS or are there other sensors onboard as well, e.g. cameras, LiDAR, etc?
    Tractors are using GPS signals. Most accurate systems based on RTK. Some of the mounted/trailed equipment doing operations are using cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Longwool View Post
    Tractors are using GPS signals. Most accurate systems based on RTK. Some of the mounted/trailed equipment doing operations are using cameras
    Tractors don't do 70+ on motorways.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    93% of crashes on the UK roads are a result of human error. Remove that.......

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Yes, once the technology had been proven safe over billions of hours of actual use.

When, I say safe, I mean the chance on dying in a car accident from an autonomous car is no greater than a dying in a passenger plane
    Surely the tipping point is when the chance of dying in a car accident from an autonomous car is no greater than than that of dying in a human-driven car?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Surely the tipping point is when the chance of dying in a car accident from an autonomous car is no greater than than that of dying in a human-driven car?
    But whose figures would you believe, after the emissions scandals, certainly not the manufacturers or regulatory organisations.

There was a time not that long ago when it was seen as unlikely that a mainframe computer could beat a Chess Grandmaster. Now there are a few mobile apps which are almost unbeatable. It's difficult to imagine the future.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    There was a time not that long ago when it was seen as unlikely that a mainframe computer could beat a Chess Grandmaster. Now there are a few mobile apps which are almost unbeatable. It's difficult to imagine the future.
    This exactly