closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ever had a complete change of mind about a watch?

Ever had a complete change of mind about a watch?

First time I think this has happened to me. I used to hate the look of 70s watch cases - the ones that are big blocks of metal rather than standard case shapes. I used to think they look like unrefined lumps of stainless steel.

This changed a couple of months ago when I saw two SC adverts for the Speedmaster Mark 2 - one modern, one vintage. I really started to like the case, especially the contrast between sunburst brushing and polished edge. I decided I wanted one and couldn't decide between vintage and modern. In the end, I went for modern. I was a little hesitant because of size and weight but although it's my largest watch, it doesn't actually feel much heavier than my Globemaster and it is very comfortable thanks to the bracelet. I think this is my fourth Speedy (after previously owning and flipping two Moonwatch and one modern 1957 variant).

Anyway, wondered if anyone also had done a U-turn on a watch - disliked then liked it or the other way around?

Master
    I remember first being aware of the X-33 and thinking it was an ugly watch, then some time later - maybe a year or two -changing my mind like you. I've had two of them now..

Sort of.
    I was all over the 36mm Explorer until it came to the crunch of actually parting with the cash. Then I decided that beautiful though it may be I just couldn't live with a 36mm watch; too small.

But then I bought an EPSA-cased Rodania from Andy, and it hardly ever leaves my wrist. 36mm it may be but the Railmaster/Broadarrowishness make it so visible.
    Last edited by unclealec; 19th April 2021 at 09:41.

Master
    It took me 5 months of frantic research and loads of time to track down the Rolex Zenith Daytona P series 16520 that I really wanted. It was a mini obsession.

After a week I lost all interest in the thing, so it now lies in the safe like most Daytonas.

I have not bought another wrist watch since as I realised that I bought it purely for the sake of buying it and that is pathetic.

Craftsman
    I think it is easy to become addicted to the thrill of the chase, the anticipation as you eagerly await the arrival of the latest purchase, the excitement of the unboxing when it is all shiny and new. It can be difficult for the reality of the new watch on your wrist, day to day, to live up to all that expectation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I think it is easy to become addicted to the thrill of the chase, the anticipation as you eagerly await the arrival of the latest purchase, the excitement of the unboxing when it is all shiny and new. It can be difficult for the reality of the new watch on your wrist, day to day, to live up to all that expectation.
    Yes I agree with all of that and you can excuse anyone for doing it the once. However to keep on doing it just demonstrates complete and utter stupidity and I now run a mile from it.

On the other hand, a few weeks ago I bought a 14ct gold Omega pocket watch which I need for formal occasions. There is no love for it, it is purely a tool to tell the time and I wear it one day, put it away and wear it again when I need it. That is much more sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Yes, I think the "thrill of the chase" is certainly true and that the much sought after grail can easily become just another watch. Having flipped the number of watches I have over the years, I realise any of my current collection are likely to get flipped at some point. I tend to go mad for seeking out watches/changing the collection for a few months, then become happy and focus on other things for a while (up to a year or so) before deciding to switch the collection up again!

Master
    Used to laugh at Pams, they seemed ridiculous. Now thanks to the appreciation thread here I quite fancy a fiddy....372 maybe. Wife still thinks they are ridiculous though.

Craftsman
    Absolutely. For instance for years I hated Speedmasters of any sort, couldn’t stand them for some reason. I thought they looked cheap, old man ish, and the kind of thing worn in retirement homes.

5 years ago my wife took me out to our local AD and let me take my pick of a wedding watch. All completely up to me and no mention of budget. I went through my usual suspects (Planet Oceans, SMPs, ATs, even Rolex and Tudor) yet I somehow fell in love with probably the most unloved amongst speedy fans: the two register Speedy 9300. It’s been the most worn watch in my collection since and I’ve completely changed my mind about Speedies. So much so that I hope to be wearing some kind of speedy when I get to a retirement home ;-)

If all goes well I’m trading my Yachmaster against an Apollo 8 later this week, fingers crossed.

Example of the opposite: I lusted after the BB58 since it was first released but held on until they released more exciting colours. I managed to bag a BB58 blue at my local AD, got it home, hated it with a passion and returned it within hours. Oddly I keep lusting after one though - I think it’s more about owning the watch than liking it when it comes to BBs.
    Last edited by NickGaters; 19th April 2021 at 10:38.

Journeyman
    I dont think there is much wrong with enjoying the 'thrill of the chase' aspect of watch collecting. I enjoy the research, which is the start of the chase and the part I most enjoy, although I rarely carry it on to the purchase phase and I dont flip. However, if the chase means finding out about watches and buying/experiencing many of them before flipping, I just see that as one type of enjoyment from the watch hobby - provided of course it's not too costly.

On the topic of changing your mind on a watch, changing taste also plays a massive part. I've always loved watches and in my teens used to visit a jewellers on a weekly basis, just to gawp at a single watch in the window. Only recently (and nearly 40 years later) I tried to work out what that watch was. Turns out it was a Longines Capricorne - a 34mm gold capped quartz piece. What was I thinking.

When I first saw Ming watches I thought they look ridiculous - that's changed completely in the last few months... another month or so to go before my 27.01 gets delivered, very excited

Master
    I used to dislike the DJ. All shiny and worn by old men.

Now I have a lovely 16014, which I love. Maybe I am that old man now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It took me 5 months of frantic research and loads of time to track down the Rolex Zenith Daytona P series 16520 that I really wanted. It was a mini obsession.

After a week I lost all interest in the thing, so it now lies in the safe like most Daytonas.

I have not bought another wrist watch since as I realised that I bought it purely for the sake of buying it and that is pathetic.
    Sell it.

Speedmasters - I tried lots, and just couldn’t get in to them and ended up selling every single of of them over the years. Then started to really appreciate them.

Now I just have a couple, and will likely slim that down to one, the original Speedy Tuesday, and maybe the current Snoopy if I ever get the call ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I used to dislike the DJ. All shiny and worn by old men.

Now I have a lovely 16014, which I love. Maybe I am that old man now...
    A little similar. I loved the 16014, when I had one, but slightly too small for my oversized wrists. But since buying my DJII (Blue Dial) it’s one of my favourite watches, and I wear it far more than any Sub, SD, or Seamaster etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Grand Seikos. Wasn't particularly keen on them for ages but now I really like them.

Seiko Tunas. I never liked them, thought them oversized and ridiculous, and considered their fans to be delusional.

My SBBN025 is now one of my favourites.

Craftsman
    Dive watches. My first “proper” watch was a diver...but now I don’t particularly like anything with a bevel - it just looks too fussy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Seiko Tunas. I never liked them, thought them oversized and ridiculous, and considered their fans to be delusional.

My SBBN025 is now one of my favourites.
    I'm the same. I used to wonder why anybody sane would actually buy one! I'm addicted to them now and have been for years.

Always wanted a proper mechanical Swiss watch, but never been able to afford one due to working in low-paid vocational work, until two years ago I sold my small rental property and freed up a few grand. At the time I knew minus f-all about watches, so asked a few mates who were into them, one of whom is a watchmaker, and two names kept coming-up: Sinn and Damasko.

Took a look at their websites, and not only failed to comprehend their USPs, but found the watches lacking in "bling" and recognisability, I like them but they didn't scratch the itch I thought I had. So instead I bought a succession of watches from Fortis, Oris, O&W etc - most of which are now gone or headed eventually for the chopping-block, while I now own 2 Sinns and 4 Damaskos...

We live and learn.

When I think of the number of definite ‘keepers’ I’ve flipped over the years - yes I change my mind a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    First time I think this has happened to me. I used to hate the look of 70s watch cases - the ones that are big blocks of metal rather than standard case shapes. I used to think they look like unrefined lumps of stainless steel.

This changed a couple of months ago when I saw two SC adverts for the Speedmaster Mark 2 - one modern, one vintage. I really started to like the case, especially the contrast between sunburst brushing and polished edge. I decided I wanted one and couldn't decide between vintage and modern. In the end, I went for modern. I was a little hesitant because of size and weight but although it's my largest watch, it doesn't actually feel much heavier than my Globemaster and it is very comfortable thanks to the bracelet. I think this is my fourth Speedy (after previously owning and flipping two Moonwatch and one modern 1957 variant).

Anyway, wondered if anyone also had done a U-turn on a watch - disliked then liked it or the other way around?
    100% with you on the Speedy sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    What is it about Speedmasters? I wanted one for ages, saved up and finally bought one last year. After 6 months of ownership I’ve come to the opinion that although I like it and enjoy wearing it, I don’t enjoy wearing it *enough* to justify the hole in my bank balance.
    On the flip side, I bought a G Shock years ago because I needed a tough, virtually indestructible watch. I’d never been a fan of them but went out and picked one from the first shop I went in. From the off I thought it was a big plastic ugly lump. And I still do now, 8 years later but I would never part with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    A few years ago, I really wanted a Rolex GMT Pepsi and after a bit of hagling and a few purchases, I managed to get on the waitlist at a major high Street chain.

I am probably still on that list but my desire for that watch has long since passed, I was even in a position last year to buy the Tudor GMT Pepsi but instead chose the blue BB58.

Now I just see the Pepsi as pure bling. If I do ever get the call, I will just say, thanks but no thanks.

For me it was a Omega Planet Ocean 600.
    After quite a while wanting one but not really being able to afford one I bought a Seamaster 300 44mm chronograph and really liked it. After saving up some more I eventually sold the 300 and managed to buy the Planet Ocean 46mm with the then upgraded cal 9900.

I couldn't wait to get it on my wrist. After 1 week I hated it :-(

I just couldn't bond with it so moved it on and bought a Brightling Super Avenger Mk2.

Loved it :-)

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I did not like the 40mm Air King where I thought the design was generated from a spare parts bin. However, seeing photos online, I changed my mind. Then after ordering, I realised it looks even better in reality.

Ever had a complete change of mind about a watch?

Omega ploprof for me. Considered it hideous for years, but grew on me.

Craftsman
    Wouldn't touch a black dialled watch, Smiths W10 changed that and now own more black dials than white. Still not keen on indices, Rolex and Japanese watches. Does it mean I will end up with one of each?

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    Wouldn't touch a black dialled watch, Smiths W10 changed that and now own more black dials than white. Still not keen on indices, Rolex and Japanese watches. Does it mean I will end up with one of each?
    Only if you're very lucky.

If you're like most of us, you'll end up with ten of each...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did a deal in principle on an IWC 3231 in about 2011 over the phone and loved the look of it in pictures, but when I got to the AD I was really disappointed by the size of it. Way too big for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bremont,when I first became aware of the brand it was meh.A few years later and I own two.Best never to say never.

Master
    I had this was a Blancpain FF, I'd wanted one for a while and always admired the unique bezel, but when I finally got one after a few weeks on the wrist I just wasn't feeling it as much as I'd assumed.