closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: European Super league

European Super league

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/new...esty-launched/

This is a great idea - grab a shirt in protest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by damperman View Post
    I liked the banner,

Created by the poor
    Robbed by the rich

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Love the sentiment but factually incorrect. The FA was set up by toffs. Basically association football comes out of the attempt to codify the various strange games played with a ball at public schools. Football as we know it was one result, rugby was another.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Honestly, if UEFA stay strong in this stand-off I see exactly zero chance that the ESL will happen. And if it doesn't happen this time around, it will never happen.

The UEFA can kill this nonsense on Friday and will never have to look back. Lots of egg left on lots of faces, but hey this is football.
    I personally can't see the ESL getting off the ground and I hope it doesn't but, let's not paint UEFA as any kind of good guys in all this. Along with FIFA, they're one of the most corrupt organisations on the planet. Different pigs, different troughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    You and Chelsea were the teams who broke up the old cartel too…. Short memories
    The problem with City, and I’m not defending them here, is they are caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea.
    UEFA tried their damndest to have City over with FFPand there’s certainly no love lost there. The ‘history ‘ cartel in this country is equally as bad . Don’t forget there was a letter signed by 8 other PL teams(Leicester included) demanding City’s trophy haul being expunged and the club relegated before the verdict was out. I’m as annoyed as anyone but the hypocrisy being spouted by the PL and UEFA is astounding. They’ve been milking the situation for years and now the cash cow won’t be producing as much, they’re all up in arms. The very timing of the announcement, the day before UEFA s laughable expansion to the Chumps League is telling in itself.

I’m disappointed for the teams who were trying to infiltrate the cartel , Wolves, Everton, Villa etc. They’ve all been given huge investment and would’ve challenged sooner or later but this thing will see a stop to that. All the talk of kicking the six out ,as good as it sounds, would likely mean a huge drop in revenues almost immediately,the best players would leave and you’d be paying top dollar to watch a lower standard of football. Clubs wont drop prices to reflect this shit show.

There will have to be a compromise sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    I personally can't see the ESL getting off the ground and I hope it doesn't but, let's not paint UEFA as any kind of good guys in all this. Along with FIFA, they're one of the most corrupt organisations on the planet. Different pigs, different troughs.
    100% agree with you, they are pigs.

But I hope they will be the pigs that switch off the lights of the ESL.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    Love the sentiment but factually incorrect. The FA was set up by toffs. Basically association football comes out of the attempt to codify the various strange games played with a ball at public schools. Football as we know it was one result, rugby was another.
    Football has many Masonic links...
    The first rules of football were drawn up by the new Football Association at 6 meetings at the end of 1863 at the Freemasons’ Tavern on Great Queen Street in London, now the New Connaught Rooms next door to Freemasons’ Hall.

After the very first match under the new football governing rules way back in January 1864, a toast was drunk – how very Masonic in itself – to ‘success to football, irrespective of class or creed’.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    The problem with City, and I’m not defending them here, is they are caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea.
    UEFA tried their damndest to have City over with FFPand there’s certainly no love lost there. The ‘history ‘ cartel in this country is equally as bad . Don’t forget there was a letter signed by 8 other PL teams(Leicester included) demanding City’s trophy haul being expunged and the club relegated before the verdict was out. I’m as annoyed as anyone but the hypocrisy being spouted by the PL and UEFA is astounding. They’ve been milking the situation for years and now the cash cow won’t be producing as much, they’re all up in arms. The very timing of the announcement, the day before UEFA s laughable expansion to the Chumps League is telling in itself.

I’m disappointed for the teams who were trying to infiltrate the cartel , Wolves, Everton, Villa etc. They’ve all been given huge investment and would’ve challenged sooner or later but this thing will see a stop to that. All the talk of kicking the six out ,as good as it sounds, would likely mean a huge drop in revenues almost immediately,the best players would leave and you’d be paying top dollar to watch a lower standard of football. Clubs wont drop prices to reflect this shit show.

There will have to be a compromise sooner or later.
    I apologise on behalf of Leicester for signing the letter

How do you feel about Lee? Will you go and watch this sh#t show? I think most regular punters are up in arms about it….

Not having a home in the PL (a proven money spinning model) is not a great outcome for the #6 either…. People may well turn their back on the ESL and then where will they be? Leicester would have a problem with the huge drop in revenues…

If this goes much further there will be open revolt…. Feelings run deep in football…

I want players and managers to speak out too

It will hurt everyone eventually…

Craftsman
    You know it’s doomed when you manage to give UEFA and FIFA the moral high ground.

Master
    This has been bandied about in pubs and on football terraces for close to 20 years - ever since the Glazers started their slow but relentless take-over of MUFC.
    The "Americanisation" of football (not Soccer!) was probably an inevitable path which couldn't have been stopped, the desperate need to keep up with the Jones's drove the game to it. Don't peg Manchester City and Chelsea as the culprits either, the transfer fees might look obscene but wasn't that the case in 1979 when Nott's Forest made the first £1,000,000 signing? Same club, same season, paying Peter Shilton over a grand a week - they won the European Super League that year (and the next year!), which proves nothing other than to compete at the top you need to invest serious money.

I feel genuinely sick about all this Super League nonsense. It's a dirty, scummy, sordid affair where the owners of these clubs have huddled together and come up with a way they can play and keep ALL the revenue, not just what BskyB or UEFA throw their way. Unfortunately, as mentioned several times, the fans don't matter one bit. We are cattle to them, they KNOW the stadiums will be full with or without the die hard supporters, but even if the stands were empty the revenue will come from world-wide media coverage and sales from merchandise - billions of pounds (dollars) a year.
    Give this Super League a few months, maybe one season, and I predict we'll even have American style draft picks and trades built into the league, anything to bolster the status of players and SELL MORE MERCH.

If it happens, I'll boycott my club in a heartbeat. No ifs, no buts, no maybes, I'll abandon Manchester City "the brand" and support whichever club springs up in its place. And while I'm sure the financial propositions will look very juicy, I'll guarantee there will still be a core of players just as disgusted as we are with the situation who will stand firm and support the beautiful game of football. Not just that, If the owners and directors are this callous as to threaten the whole standing of English football then the players are going to be just as expendable. Anyone who isn't a household name and selling branded goods by the barrow-load will be on eggshells.

If this does fail (and I hope it does - spectacularly!) then maybe it's time for a body to step in and put some more regulations in place. Every year there is talk of wage caps, enforcing teams to field at least 5 English players, cutting team sizes... all of it. Maybe we actually need some of it to become more than talk!

I'm properly pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I apologise on behalf of Leicester for signing the letter

How do you feel about Lee? Will you go and watch this sh#t show? I think most regular punters are up in arms about it….

Not having a home in the PL (a proven money spinning model) is not a great outcome for the #6 either…. People may well turn their back on the ESL and then where will they be? Leicester would have a problem with the huge drop in revenues…

If this goes much further there will be open revolt…. Feelings run deep in football…

I want players and managers to speak out too

It will hurt everyone eventually…
    Gutted Ben
    It will stop all my association with City and that in itself is not an easy decision. Might have to spend my hard earned following the England cricket team .
    It seems obvious that the players and managers have had little notification of this too. You only had to listen to Milner and Bingo yesterday after the game to get that. I hope Guardiola is as equally scathing but I have my reservations knowing how cosy he is with Soriano and Berigistain on City’s board.
    The other issue is the fans. Our voices have been useless for years , these behemoths do no more than pay lip service to our feelings and thoughts . ‘Legacy fans’ indeed . They don’t need us in the stadium other than to create an atmosphere. The rich pickings are elsewhere.

This ESL is merely the beginning. There will be Draft Picks, I can almost guarantee the water breaks /advertising break will be the norm. The games will be played worldwide in Tokyo, New York etc etc . These Yanks are poison, more so than the oil money Sheikhs so hated by the average fan . As sevvy said before, our owners have pumped in billions , not just into the club but into the infrastructure of East Manchester and local communities .Someof the building projects they have planned are really ambitious but this goodwill could all be undone almost instantly. I’m still hopeful that Citywill have the guts to pull out .

There will be Draft Picks, I can almost guarantee the water breaks /advertising break will be the norm. The games will be played worldwide in Tokyo, New York etc etc
    Defo and they’ll ask why do we need two teams In Manchester or three in the North West and three in London, they’ll be amalgamations ‘Manchester Marvels’, ‘London Lions’, relocations ‘Shanghai Hotspur’. Look on the bright side Broadhurst Park is only 3 miles from the Etihad, you’ll be alright.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to admit I don't understand what's going on.

Assuming UEFA will switch off the lights on Friday, that must be the end of it? None of these clubs can survive on the concept to eternally playing the same 11 opponents every couple of weeks? The twelfth Liverpool - Barcelona match in a calendar year will just be met with complete disinterest by fans from anywhere except China?

What's the concept here, what am I missing? Why isn't this dead on arrival?

I have to admit I don't understand what's going on.

Assuming UEFA will switch off the lights on Friday, that must be the end of it? None of these clubs can survive on the concept to eternally playing the same 11 opponents every couple of weeks? The twelfth Liverpool - Barcelona match in a calendar year will just be met with complete disinterest by fans from anywhere except China?

What's the concept here, what am I missing? Why isn't this dead on arrival?
    Barcelona v Liverpool or Burnley v West Brom ?
    An ad executives wet dream .

Master
    I’d pick Burnley v West Brom in that scenario

Yes, I see that. And some of the local rivalries are also maintained.

But if you have a league with 12 (maybe 15 or 18) participants, how many times do you have to play against each other to make up for the calendar you are foregoing: league, cup, league cup, Champions League.

It will be eternally boring, same fixtures over and over again.

The government have announced that they’ll be putting in place legislation to block the introduction of a European Super league.

I’m sure our European neighbours will be eternally grateful for our decisive action to rescue them from this nightmare!

Craftsman
    I used to go and watch West Ham regularly and gave up going back in the 90’s when they launched the Hammers Bond scheme. I didn’t like the way that things we going, and that seemed a signal of the way forward and my expectations were pretty much what has happened. I stopped going then and have been back for a handful of games over the years. The game I really enjoyed has changed beyond all recognition.

This thing is a further development though, in establishing a closed shop these ‘top’ European clubs (bizarrely including Arsenal and Tottenham, just fancy that) are looking to create ring fenced wealth that will give them assured future power, which will absolutely be to the detriment of those clubs currently around them in the Premier League and with an even worse longer term impact to the Ipswich Towns, the Plymouth Argyles, the Forest Green Rovers etc.

What I find odd is the fans that claiming foul at this sudden betrayal. These are commercial businesses, plain and simple, and have been for years. Any relationship with the people or the community went long ago. These businesses are only interested in ‘fans’ as customers and when and where it suits their financial interests. To think anything else is just plain daft. You might as well dress in yellow and green and go and stand in Morrisons Car Park and cheer that on. ‘Come on you sales!’.

I choose not to pay for top level Football. I go and watch Dagenham & Redbridge now and then. Granted, I pay my TV licence. i watch match of the day maybe once or twice a year and I’d say that I’ve probably seen two games on TV over the last year despite the lockdown wall to wall showcase.
    Fortunately for me, I’ve still gotten a lot out of football as a sport. I’m still involved with my local Sunday club who are in their 50th year next year.

Anyway, folks getting misty eyed about commercial sporting entertainment products? Sorry I just don’t get it. Any ‘connection’ is all just in your mind I’m afraid.

It’s all over. Chelski out. Thought City would be first

But as if we didn’t already know these greedy mercenaries have shown their true faces and we all know for always

I’m still contemplating ditching my City season tickets which I have had for decades

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks like Chelsea are pulling out.... hope the others follow suit.

Master
    Sounds like Chelsea are withdrawing, Abramovich doesn't need the money, he'd rather have the respect and legacy than to join a small cash-grab gang just to bail out failing Real Madrid and Barca. If so City should follow.

I think City and Chelsea owners were reluctant to join as they are rich enough but they didn't want to be left out of a super league, even if it did mean they were helping to prop up the failing Spanish and Italian rival clubs, so they signed up, not quite as cynical as the other 4.
    Last edited by aksing; 20th April 2021 at 19:09.

It will be eternally boring, same fixtures over and over again.
    Like NBA then. Or NFL and Major League Baseball. Nadal and Djokovic have played each other nearly 60 times, yet still draw a crowd. I'm not saying this is a good thing, just that it happens in other highly lucrative sports, especially in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The government have announced that they’ll be putting in place legislation to block the introduction of a European Super league.

I’m sure our European neighbours will be eternally grateful for our decisive action to rescue them from this nightmare!
    This is nothing more than a “Boris saves football stunt..... look how fantastic I am”. Never going to happen from this charlatan.

Strong rumours emerging that Chelsea are on the verge of withdrawing. Petr Cech in amongst the fans outside the Bridge tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Like NBA then. Or NFL and Major League Baseball. Nadal and Djokovic have played each other nearly 60 times, yet still draw a crowd. I'm not saying this is a good thing, just that it happens in other highly lucrative sports, especially in the US.
    Nasal and Djokovic still had to play their way to the finals/semi finals in which they played each other though. It’s not like they continually got byes to the final.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It would be more like in the NFL or NBA, the 12 top teams were guaranteed playoff spots regardless of regular season performance, and then on top of that making all the other teams be unable to qualify for the playoffs no matter what, there would be uproar in the USA as well if this was the case. As for tennis as said before they have to win many matches to get to the final so it is all on merit.

Craftsman
    Fair play to Chelsea, first time I’ve ever had anything good to say about them!

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Sounds like Chelsea are withdrawing, Abramovich doesn't need the money, he'd rather have the respect and legacy than to join a small cash-grab gang just to bail out failing Real Madrid and Barca. If so City should follow.

I think City and Chelsea owners were reluctant to join as they are rich enough but they didn't want to be left out of a super league, even if it did mean they were helping to prop up the failing Spanish and Italian rival clubs, so they signed up, not quite as cynical as the other 4.
    Or Chelsea Pitch Owners (the fan group that own the freehold of the ground) have found something in the lease...

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    This is nothing more than a “Boris saves football stunt..... look how fantastic I am”. Never going to happen from this charlatan.
    Damned if he does and damned if he didn't

Well done Chelsea. I hope that City follow.
    Saw Peps presser before and I take back my previous comments. The bloke seems to get the football fan and was quite scathing in his view of this league .

Chelsea have just realised that by pulling out they will qualify for the champions league

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Well done Chelsea. I hope that City follow.
    Saw Peps presser before and I take back my previous comments. The bloke seems to get the football fan and was quite scathing in his view of this league .
    Yay . City too

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Doesn't he have bigger things to worry about. Still Football is popular so it's an open goal for the lad Bunter.

Said all 12 clubs are to make statements tonight, sounds like it's fallen apart!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Not really. He’s just an opportunist who sees an opportunity to appeal to millions.

He had no problem dishing out billions to Tory cronies on COVID contracts when handing the NHS the money (who could have done a much better job) would have been a PR coup. Self interest, nothing more.

Blog Entries
    Or Chelsea Pitch Owners (the fan group that own the freehold of the ground) have found something in the lease...
    Rubbish

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post

Is the respect / legacy not tarnished now, after being willing participants just a few hours ago?

Or are the tinted spectacles particularly dark blue?

(Comparing the wealth of Abramovic to the Shiekh (!) hasn’t gone unnoticed either but we’ll leave that for now)

If you signed up, you signed up, but no doubt we’ll be fed a load of crap in the next few day of how “we did it under duress”

All as guilty are each other in my view, though my gut instinct is the Glazers and Perez are the instigators
    Last edited by demonloop; 20th April 2021 at 19:43.

As I said at post #3; never gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Rubbish
    Well they were certainly very interested at any ESL developments. They own the name 'Chelsea Football Club' as well as the ground so arguably any proposal would need the CPO to be on board. Which I assume they weren't. I imagine as a long-standing CFC season ticket holder you'd know more than I would.

https://twitter.com/pitchowners/stat...482703873?s=20
    Last edited by sweeney; 20th April 2021 at 19:54.

Master
    Spurs will refuse to budge and just become a 1 team super league, and still fail to win it

Chelsea and Manchester City are pulling out of the Super League quicker than John Terry when he heard Wayne Bridge arrive home

Anyway. It's now been cancelled apparently.

https://talksport.com/football/86886...lsea-man-city/
    Last edited by sweeney; 20th April 2021 at 19:54.

Well done Chelsea and City. Hopefully United will do the decent thing too.

Ed Woodward resigned just been on the radio after failed ESL attempt essentially

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1stof View Post
    Ed Woodward resigned just been on the radio after failed ESL attempt essentially

If true, every cloud :-)

Glazers in damage limitation mode no doubt, they’ll blame Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Chr1stof View Post

A money man at the top table of both United and UEFA tells you all you need to know about the state of the game .

European Super league

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Literally broke a few mins ago but yeah seems 100%. Apparently was going to be leaving at the end of the year anyway (if you believe that) but notice was brought forward given the ESL problems. Will stay until the end of the year an update just said, but it’s officially out there now.

Last edited by Chr1stof; 20th April 2021 at 20:03.

Blog Entries
    Well they were certainly very interested at any ESL developments. They own the name 'Chelsea Football Club' as well as the ground so arguably any proposal would need the CPO to be on board. Which I assume they weren't. I imagine as a long-standing CFC season ticket holder you'd know more than I would.

https://twitter.com/pitchowners/stat...482703873?s=20
    Sorry, didn't mean to be so curt earlier. Loads of activity from all angles at the moment as I'm sure is the case for many of us. The CPO remit is to protect the ground from being sold for non-football purposes and to keep Chelsea Football Club playing there. They have no say in footballing decisions beyond that sadly, otherwise they could have stopped us from signing Kepa.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Absolutely- they will claim they knew nothing about it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A money man at the top table of both United and UEFA tells you all you need to know about the state of the game .
    I guess it’s the gamble he took. Get the ESL through and you’re set in perpetuity, the risk being it doesn’t work out and you’re done for.

A good old fashioned coup isn’t it. You win or die trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Chelsea have just realised that by pulling out they will qualify for the champions league

LOLZ

The talk is also that Andrea Agnelli is set to resign his position at Juventus and mounting pressure on Florentino Pérez from Real Madrid to do the same.