closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super league

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Funny, this is all over the news and the government are getting involved “ for the fans” yet when sky did the deal with F1 no one could give a toss, now we pay three times as much as all the other countries to watch live F1
    Looks like they are going to make a bigger effort on this - than investigating and taking to task, the corruption in government.

WTF is this country coming to??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That is the one thing the owners are not worried about. the "heritage" fans are a demanding inconvenience, best ignored. They are looking at future fans in Asia (mainly) that will be grateful for the spectacle offered, all the "magic names" European clubs playing just for them. They'd get 10 times the domestic audience in Shanghai alone.
    I think they carry more weight then can be ignored, a scenario where fans are disenchanted/disengaged with some of the biggest football clubs isn't likely to yield a desirable or sustainable product even if there are financially rewarding markets abroad. We'll see but I foresee a compromise with UEFA and some long term fallout for the greedy ones.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    ....how long through the sheer repetitive nature of the same teams playing each other will it get too boring ? .
    It doesn’t seem to bother Scottish football fans.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    buh dum tss, quality!

European Super league

Well on the bright side our thoroughbreds won’t have to play teams like AFC Spartak Podgorica 1946 in some East European **** hole. (Montenegro is wonderful, but Podgorica ain’t)

On a serious note, the threat of relegation can add real spice, I’ll never forget the drama of when my hero Denis Law sunk United. The next season, Doc’s Red Army in Division 2 was brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 19th April 2021 at 22:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Inevitable outcome tbh and don’t see why anyone is remotely surprised. The game has been about money for years now and this for me is one another reason not watch anymore. Of course you’ll always get the die hards who will shout that they won’t be watching etc but we all know they will .One thing that hopefully comes out of this is that other clubs in the lower leagues will come on and the space from the 6 clubs will naturally have to be filled.
    I'm not sure that's true.
    I think plenty of fans will not tune in for this.
    I'd have.zero interest in watching these teams in a carved up league.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I’m a casual fan. I never understood why there’s an expectation to be a die hard fan to enjoy football. It’s different for other sport, you can enjoy athletics once every four years, watch tennis in July for two weeks and there’s no issue.

So for me I love it when the best players and teams go up against each other, there’s no hiding. So if it meant more of this I’m all for it. I’d prefer to see Liverpool play Barca twice a year than maybe twice a decade.
    I'm also a casual fan, I haven't been to a football match since the early '90s. But there's a romance and a tradition in the EFL and the Premier League, in so far as it's the modern incarnation of the old First Division, that goes back centuries. Leicester clawing their way up from the third tier in 2009 to become league champions seven years later, for example. Clubs near the bottom of the various tiers groping for survival. The little clubs playing the giants and sometimes beating them.

The Champions League too at least has the distinction that it's hard to get into.

Admittedly the conceit that any club in the pyramid could climb to the top has been worn a bit thin in the last 20 years or so by the money pumped very selectively into the game by foreign plutocrats. But even so this European Super League idea just seems so cynical and joyless to me. Football is an entertainment industry and if there's really a demand for a closed shop league of wealthy clubs then fair enough. But it really seems cynical and joyless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    From the "This is Anfield" Website

The Kop will be stripped of its banners and flags as Liverpool’s supporters’ groups unite against the club’s hierarchy putting “financial greed above the integrity of the game.”

On Twitter, they wrote: “We, along with other groups involved in flags, will be removing our flags from The Kop.

“We feel we can no longer give our support to a club which puts financial greed above integrity of the game.”
    About as impactful as:
    https://youtu.be/26uo2AJHD40

The money is in Asia and match day tourist/ one off/ occasional fans outspend us season ticket holders on match days by a considerable amount (membership fee that is open all, ticket full price + booking fee, programme, shirt n stuff shop, eat/ drink in the ground) so I'm sure they'll respond with *meh* see yah, don't let the overpriced hotdog hit you on the way out. The atmosphere has now been taped and practiced during lockdown, loyal regular fans customers are overrated.

Form is temporary, class is a memory

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I'm not sure that's true.
    I think plenty of fans will not tune in for this.
    I'd have.zero interest in watching these teams in a carved up league.
    They won’t care, plenty as you said might not but the die hards will always.

Master
    Shares rose significantly in theses clubs today. Well explained on R4 that no relegation means a steady income stream.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I was brought up watching 2nd Division Scottish football. Every 2nd weekend was a mini adventure to somewhere different in Scotland. The joy of travelling to Forfar and fed Bridies that fed you for a week. The occasional foray into England to visit Berwick (the closest we got to European football), the culture shock of traveling through Coatbridge, suffering hypothermia standing on the terraces of Arbroath during winter with a howling North Sea in your face and my favourite, my father (unwittingly) blagging our way into Hampden board room at half time during a game.

So your right, it never bothered me in the slightest, however an American TV audience watching FC Liverpool Koppites v FC Tottenham Cockerels for the 4th time in 3 months will have a little less patience.
    Last edited by zippy; 19th April 2021 at 19:19.

Blog Entries
    As I've stated earlier, I'm totally opposed to the ESL idea as a supporter of Chelsea for 50 years and a home and away season ticket holder for over 20 years but, when the president of an organisation as corrupt as UEFA critises such plans for being 'greedy', the biscuit has well and truly been taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    About as impactful as:
    https://youtu.be/26uo2AJHD40

The money is in Asia and match day tourist/ one off/ occasional fans outspend us season ticket holders on match days by a considerable amount (membership fee that is open all, ticket full price + booking fee, programme, shirt n stuff shop, eat/ drink in the ground) so I'm sure they'll respond with *meh* see yah, don't let the overpriced hotdog hit you on the way out. The atmosphere has now been taped and practiced during lockdown, loyal regular fans customers are overrated.

Form is temporary, class is a memory
    I didnt say it would have any effect I was just responding to someone about what fan groups may say. This is nothing new the whole premier league sky was just a big money pot now they have moved on (Or are trying to move on) to another one. I lost count of the amount of times at a match "fans" would be asking for directions as they have never set foot in the city never mind the ground before so football tourism is nothing new. Also with many teams these days there is a massive waiting list for tickets so if people do give up their tickets its not like they are not going to sell, there are plenty of kids growing up in major cities in England who have never set foot in the stadium of their local team because they have long since been priced out of it. Lets not forget, clubs up and down the country are flogging kids kits at £45 - £55 a go every year not to mention the several change kits.

I remember years ago a friend of mine went over to see Barcelona, no issues getting a ticket because he was from the UK so a "Tourist" Much more likely to buy a t shirt, cuddly toy and all the rest of the junk sold at club gift shops.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    when the president of an organisation as corrupt as UEFA critises such plans for being 'greedy', the biscuit has well and truly been taken.
    😂 100%

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    As I've stated earlier, I'm totally opposed to the ESL idea as a supporter of Chelsea for 50 years and a home and away season ticket holder for over 20 years but, when the president of an organisation as corrupt as UEFA critises such plans for being 'greedy', the biscuit has well and truly been taken.
    Exactly. There’s been a lot of faux angst from various quarters today (some of Sky sports coverage has been particularly nauseating - wonder why?), but Micah Richards this evening was the first pundit I heard calling out UEFA - they do bugger all to combat racism in European football, but this triggers horror and threats of banning teams and players? Come on...

Klopp also reminding us that plans to expand the Champions League and forcing teams to play in the World Club Cup is all about money, nothing else. The problem for UEFA/FIFA here is not the plan, but who gets to keep the money.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    The problem for UEFA/FIFA here is not the plan, but who gets to keep the money.
    Exactly this, new pig on the block wants to stick its nose in the trough other pigs call for a ban.

Master
    Football used to be free on BBC and ITV until the premier league kicked in and we had sky sports subscriptions. Remember they tried to have the Italian league on Chanel 5 and even that was scooped up.

Remember the big argument being that “It’s free on ITV” because they had paid advertising? So what’s the excuse for gouging supporters on BT and Sky?

Champions league and Europa league on BT everything else on Sky and it’s treated like a privilege to have a cup final and a couple of England games on BBC and ITV.
    My memory is slightly different. When I was growing up Match of the Day was just that - highlights of one match. It wasn’t until Sky came along and shook things up that anyone had any idea it would be possible to have cameras at every match (of course the tech is now much cheaper). I’m pretty sure the BBC shows more live football now than it did 30 years ago. European football has been lost to terrestrial, but having said that match highlights are (currently) on YouTube.

Not saying I’m happy with the situation. As a sports fan I would prefer a much larger selection of free to air sport, but that’s for Government to enforce, and they have time and again been noisy but toothless.

This will be set up like NFL games, with fan parks and pre match festivities to rake in the £££. Expect players to be on a million quid a week too like NFL players. That will ease the pain of not playing for England vs Albania in a qualifier.

Still hate the idea.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Well on the bright side our thoroughbreds won’t have to play teams like AFC Spartak Podgorica 1946 in some East European shit hole. (Montenegro is wonderful, but Podgorica ain’t)

On a serious note, the threat of relegation can add real spice, I’ll never forget the drama of when my hero Denis Law sunk United. The next season, Doc’s Red Army in Division 2 was brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    The best European away games I've been to are always to the East European 5hit holes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
     100%
    200% hypocrites

Craftsman

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    The majority of fans/ and football association's will object to this, however the you tube interview above gives clear insight into the thinking of what's happening in the minds of the football owner's. If we allow this to happen, what will the next stage be ? The 'franchise' of Liverpool/ Man Utd , Real Madrid or Barcelona moved to America ? It may seem far fetched, however top tier American sport is littered with the moonlight flit's from their host city to another location where the owners calculated they could make more money.

The other thing is that it's all good saying every week Liverpool or Man Utd will play Real Madrid or Barcelona , how long through the sheer repetitive nature of the same teams playing each other will it get too boring ? That's one of the current big advantages of the top leagues, due to the number of teams in the respective leagues, no two weeks are the same.
    The 'franchise' of Liverpool/ Man Utd - there would be civil war up North

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    This will be set up like NFL games, with fan parks and pre match festivities to rake in the £££. Expect players to be on a million quid a week too like NFL players. That will ease the pain of not playing for England vs Albania in a qualifier.

Still hate the idea.
    And here in lies the problem for the rest of football. Who can name an American Football team outside of the NFL or a Basketball team outside of the NBA. These franchises are so big that there’s no room for anything else.

I can see a Euro Super League being part of a World League, where the winners of each conference have a play off and the winner of that has an final with Lady Gaga performing at half time and they’ll call it a Super Ball. Beckham will have already signed up for the ambassador role.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    And here in lies the problem for the rest of football. Who can name an American Football team outside of the NFL or a Basketball team outside of the NBA. These franchises are so big that there’s no room for anything else.
    Difference is there's a lot more than 6 NFL teams and there'll still be room for other top clubs in England. Those in Leeds, Leicester or wherever will still support those teams as Championship (and lower league) fans do now. Here in UK, maybe we can't name other US clubs but I'm sure those there can.

I'm not in favour of the move though!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Still hate the idea.
    So not much different than the premier league/champions league

I wonder what The Wealdstone Raider thinks about this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m not sure if it’s as big an issue as described.

If it’s an “intertoto” type competition when what’s the problem?

Ultimately, it all boils down to money. The rich do as they please.

Joe punter can put a stop to this by boycotting football. That would be thoroughly marvellous.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    My memory is slightly different. When I was growing up Match of the Day was just that - highlights of one match. It wasn’t until Sky came along and shook things up that anyone had any idea it would be possible to have cameras at every match (of course the tech is now much cheaper). I’m pretty sure the BBC shows more live football now than it did 30 years ago. European football has been lost to terrestrial, but having said that match highlights are (currently) on YouTube.

Not saying I’m happy with the situation. As a sports fan I would prefer a much larger selection of free to air sport, but that’s for Government to enforce, and they have time and again been noisy but toothless.

You're basically right, there was about 20 live matches a season on TV prior to the premier League and sky. European football was just finals, I'd be amazed if more football wasn't available free to air today than back then.

Over 25 years I've had a season ticket at arsenal, been going even longer. Think today might just be the day we break up, I've no interest watching us play the same teams over and over with little realistic chance of success and no threat of failure. I'm sure losing a legacy fan will leave the club distraught....

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post

The clubs still want to play in their national leagues, which will likely provide a significant advantage over the rest with the increased income/spending power/squad size and quality. Like what we see now but even worse; the clubs left behind lose their revenue streams due to the diminished value of the European leagues they’ll be competing in.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post

Because it gives another £300m plus whatever additional TV revenues to a small group of already very rich clubs... they've already said that this 'competition' would take precedence over the Premier League, cue weakened teams and a massively a devalued league and cup. The Champions League / Europa League would be untenable.

It's a long way from being an Intertoto Cup.

Bring it on I say. Kick them out of the PL, and maybe there’ll be room for North End at last!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    Bring it on I say. Kick them out of the PL, and maybe there’ll be room for North End at last!
    They'd have to take a lot more than 6 teams away
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Exactly this, new pig on the block wants to stick its nose in the trough other pigs call for a ban.
    Wonderfully put.

As a lifelong Liverpool fan I’m as gutted about this as anybody else, but not surprised. Since the birth of the Premier League you could see it happening, but hoped it wouldn’t. European cup becomes Champions League. Uefa cup becomes Europa League. English 2nd division becomes Championship. Play off games for third place and promotion meaning the sixth place team can be promoted instead of the third place team? We just lapped it up, doubled/tripled our spend to watch all the games, and some people got rich.

I suspect it won’t happen, not yet, as UEFA and the Premier League have too much to lose so concessions will be made. It’s not a good look though.

Class 😂

Master
    I have just finished watching The English Game on Netflix which was about the first footballers paid to play for a team.

It was about teams in the North of England taking on the old boy's network in the South.

This was in the 1870s so really the game hasn't changed that much over the last 150 years it is still about who has the most money.

I don't like the new proposals but some will.

Master
    Just imagine the six being kicked out of PL & all cups, Leicester win again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Ultimately, it all boils down to money. The rich do as they please.

Joe punter can put a stop to this by boycotting football. That would be thoroughly marvellous.
    or could buy the club themselves but that would mean raising the money. Thats not going to happen. Expect the clubs to offshore their admin stuff (if they havent already) if the Govt start making noises.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Just imagine the six being kicked out of PL & all cups, Leicester win again

Assuming that the results between all clubs and the six are expunged then by my fag packet calculations, West Ham would be top by 9 points, Leicester second and Leeds third...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    They'd have to take a lot more than 6 teams away
    Bit harsh!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

What really disappoints me, as a City fan, is the trouble City went through with FFP and the fight with UEFA. The fact that UEFA are already thinking of revamping FFP rules gives other clubs owners hope of investing more and thus pushing into CL.

Now we’ve jumped into bed with those idiots who didn’t want us there in the first place. Mansour has spent a fortune regenerating the area and is so well regarded by the fans (more than can be said for Kroenke & Glasers) but one action has undone, for many, all the good.

While Bayern and Dortmund have said that they are not going to join into the Super league, I am hearing that Schalke 04 is very interested.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    What really disappoints me, as a City fan, is the trouble City went through with FFP and the fight with UEFA. The fact that UEFA are already thinking of revamping FFP rules gives other clubs owners hope of investing more and thus pushing into CL.

Now we’ve jumped into bed with those idiots who didn’t want us there in the first place. Mansour has spent a fortune regenerating the area and is so well regarded by the fans (more than can be said for Kroenke & Glasers) but one action has undone, for many, all the good.
    You and Chelsea were the teams who broke up the old cartel too…. Short memories

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post

I have to agree with this.

I thought this whole Super league was a ploy to keep out 'new money', but I guess the others have thought the horse had already bolted with City?

Strange for City wanting involvement, but FOMO is maybe playing a part too.

It’s easy to see the motives for some clubs:
    Real & Barca - much needed money to repay debt
    Man Utd & Spurs as above plus regularly playing against the big boys, something you don’t get in Europa League.
    Arsenal - no more Thursday night EL games.
    Juve - despite winning league they haven’t won CL in ages and the Agnelli’s want to be relevant.

I think that the national/supranational associations will use their registration & licensing rules to delay (and possibly halt) the ESL. If the 'breakaway' teams want to continue to compete domestically, the EPL/FA could make it it very difficult for them.

Players registered by a club to a national association are only permitted to play in 'recognised' matches & competitions. It's the same with clubs: if you're a member of the FA (for example), you can only take part in FA approved fixtures.

What if the EPL/FA/UEFA refuse to recognise the ESL? Where does the ESL go?

(As an aside, agents must be rubbing their hands even more than usual at the potential possibilities the ESL offers. We all love agents, don't we?)
    Last edited by jwg663; 20th April 2021 at 11:25. Reason: Expansions...
    ______

​Jim.

Honestly, if UEFA stay strong in this stand-off I see exactly zero chance that the ESL will happen. And if it doesn't happen this time around, it will never happen.

The UEFA can kill this nonsense on Friday and will never have to look back. Lots of egg left on lots of faces, but hey this is football.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Lots of egg left on lots of faces, but hey this is football.
    I've been saying this since news broke: if it doesn't get off the ground, all the clubs involved are tarnished