closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It's going to happen: selling my Porsche 914. But what should I buy instead.

Blog Entries

It's going to happen: selling my Porsche 914. But what should I buy instead.

I took my Porsche to a friend's place. He's a retired car painter and has tons of experience detailing a car. After that, the car will be for sale. Exactly 6 yrs of ownership.

I want something else. And a few threads here have pushed me to the point that I've decided that the car has to go. On my (short)list:
    • BMW E10 / 02 series - but not the versions with the injection
    • Ford Mustang Coupe first series (around '65)
    • Rover P5B Coupé- but all I have seen are rusty barges.
    • VW type 3 - very rare nowadays, looking for one that can be 'slammed' I prefer the Fastback or Variant (station wagon)
    • Alfa Giulia - the classic one, not the modern version. But I am afraid that the driving position is very 'iffy'.
    • Saab 96. Yes, another one. Somehow, this car keeps luring me in.

I don't want to invest new money. The money from the Porsche should cover the purchase price of the new car. My wife would kill me if I spend more - and she's right this time.

Last edited by thieuster; 18th April 2021 at 21:52.

It's going to happen: selling my Porsche 914. But what should I buy instead.

I know you have access to facilities Menno but I was always told to buy the best example of the chosen car.
    So if you know how much you’re likely to get for your Porsche, you can probably eliminate a few in your list for not making the cut in terms of condition.
    Then, out of the remaining ones you can choose the Saab
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I know you have access to facilities Menno but I was always told to buy the best example of the chosen car.
    So if you know how much you’re likely to get for your Porsche, you can probably eliminate a few in your list for not making the cut in terms of condition.
    Then, out of the remaining ones you can choose the Saab
    Restoring or extensively repairing a car is not what I have in mind. Those non-billable hours are expensive for my private wallet. So I am totally with you to buy the best car money can buy. Porsche prices are all over the place: between 18K and 34K is what I've found after a quick search on Dutch websites. My car's paint isn't great. But on the other hand, it's a European specs 2.0 ltr engine. In that configuration only sold for less than 2 yrs. My asking price will be in the middle of the 18 - 34 range: 25K.

I've seen a beautiful 1967 Saab 96. the first year with the V4 engine but with the looks of the final 2 stroke version! Painted grill, round headlights. Still, that car needs work as well: re-ported cylinder heads and led-free fuel adjustment and electronic ignition for some extra hp. I even like the beige 60s colour!!!

Or... even more quirky... A Saab Sonett III. I've owned one. Started the restoration but sold it before it was finished. This one looks good! Tear off those ugly US style bumpers and it looks a lot better!

Menno, surely the Sonett would give more individuality value no ?
    Whilst I owned a 96 in 1985 (before 3 x 99's and a 900 Turbo) I've never even seen a Sonett (probably not many at all in the UK)

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Or... even more quirky... A Saab Sonett III. I've owned one. Started the restoration but sold it before it was finished. This one looks good! Tear off those ugly US style bumpers and it looks a lot better!

I've never seen that before, and that is a fantastic looking car. Cheers

Another vote for the Sonnet but I've been thinking of getting a Rover P5B Coupe as well, I love the look of them.

Master
    Of that list it would be the 02 or the type 3 if it was me funding the project.

Plus I’d consider a 99 or early 900 turbo if in budget.

The sonett 3 is a nice car but I don't think it was very good. It really depends on what you expect from your classic car.

Blog Entries
    Technically it's not better or worse than any other Saab 96. It's 100% a 96 under the (plastic...) skin. The body is bolted to the rolling tub. Without the body, the car can drive. Disadvantage of the Sonett is it's size: it's a small car. I'm 6ft and the car fits like a glove. And it is noisy.

The size does not only make it cramped, but under the bonnet, it's even worse. The clutch and brake cylinder are way down in the engine compartment. Every modern-day Sonett owner has installed an inspection hatch in the inner wing, behind the LH front wheel! There's a guy in the US who has designed flip-front hinges, so that you open the complete front end, like a Jag E-type or Triumph TR. That makes working on the car a lot easier. If (a big if) I would buy another Sonett, I certainly would invest in a flip-front modification.

The car's name has nothing to do with a poem. It was name So Nett ('how beautiful') when Saab's design department had built a Series 1 as a try-out. The 3 series are nothing alike. All look very different.

Some additional pics of the car that's for sale:

Frankly I'd keep the 914 without hesitation - gorgeous thing.
    So clever my foot fell off.

2002 would be my choice from your selection, how much are you hoping for the 914? If we had a guide price we might come up with something you haven't thought about..

Blog Entries
    Asking price is 25K euros. That's just below the middle of what's for sale here: between 18K and 34K. We'll see. Some are sold in a day, others take a longer time.

Look no further than a Mk1 MX-5!
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    I spotted a S2000 this afternoon. I hadn't thought about that.

I spotted a S2000 this afternoon. I hadn't thought about that.
    Not a classic yet, or is it?

An S800 (convertible, you'd probably not fit in the coupe) would be more of an interesting classic, and more in tune with your budget

• Ford Mustang Coupe first series (around '65)

How about a 1965 Restomod with a 408ci Stroker engine?

I'm looking to sell but it may be too pricey - you know it makes sense though!

[IMG]D3939933-F30F-4F09-8F05-E346BE07E002 by Simon C, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by Simon C, on Flickr[/IMG]

I love the 914, but if i was in the market with similar funds I would be looking at:
    1987 Toyota Corolla GT Coupe Twin Cam.
    1984 Toyota Supra 2.8i.
    Nissan 240Z/260Z.
    1969 Lotus Elan
    Original Mini Cooper S
    Series 1 Lotus Elise.
    997 Porsche 911
    981 Porsche Boxster 2.7

Restoring or extensively repairing a car is not what I have in mind. Those non-billable hours are expensive for my private wallet. So I am totally with you to buy the best car money can buy. Porsche prices are all over the place: between 18K and 34K is what I've found after a quick search on Dutch websites. My car's paint isn't great. But on the other hand, it's a European specs 2.0 ltr engine. In that configuration only sold for less than 2 yrs. My asking price will be in the middle of the 18 - 34 range: 25K.

I've seen a beautiful 1967 Saab 96. the first year with the V4 engine but with the looks of the final 2 stroke version! Painted grill, round headlights. Still, that car needs work as well: re-ported cylinder heads and led-free fuel adjustment and electronic ignition for some extra hp. I even like the beige 60s colour!!!

Not even aware of that model... lovely.
    I can see Datsun 260z coupe, and also a bit of Alfa Romeo GTV/GTV6

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I love the 914, but if i was in the market with similar funds I would be looking at:
    1987 Toyota Corolla GT Coupe Twin Cam.
    1984 Toyota Supra 2.8i.
    Nissan 240Z/260Z.
    1969 Lotus Elan
    Original Mini Cooper S
    Series 1 Lotus Elise.
    997 Porsche 911
    981 Porsche Boxster 2.7
    Ha! I love this list. The Toyota's are interesting. I'd never thought about that. Elan is too expensive here. That would be the 80s (90s?) Elan for me. Or better; Isuzu...

My mum's cousin owned a classic car garage in Glasgow, the car I loved the most was a surprise to teenage me, a Volvo 1800/ Gorgeous thing, have wanted one ever since.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    My mum's cousin owned a classic car garage in Glasgow, the car I loved the most was a surprise to teenage me, a Volvo 1800/ Gorgeous thing, have wanted one ever since.
    Indeed - and rendered especially cool by Roger Moore at the wheel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Indeed - and rendered especially cool by Roger Moore at the wheel.
    10 yrs ago we did a full resto on a 1800S. Red. It must have been the quickest resto in history. The car was bought as a non-runner from a dealer in the North. The original Texan car looked awful but after a trip to the blaster, we discovered that the only metal part it needed was the plinth/shelf under the battery! Plain sailing from there on. Biggest challenge was replacing the dials in the dashboard. The plastic 'crystals' had more or less melted in the Texan sun.

M.

A really nice rally replica Volvo Amazon?

Blog Entries
    SOLD it!

The ad was up on Saturday (national marketplace website called Marktplaats) and the buyer(-to-be) came round at noon today. The price is absolutely right. Nearly the asking price. I have to consider the costs I had: e.g. repainting the steel wheels, fresh MoT, repairing a piece of carpet at the driver's side and the costs of the ad. But, I'm happy with it!

Next stop: starting to look for something else... But I'll take my time. Later this week I'll make an appointment to have a look at the red Sonett. Just to get it out of my head.

At the same time: keep the ideas flowing. Max to spend is around 20K euros. That leaves some contingency money for unexpected repairs etc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Menno there have been a few nice Rover P5B,s go through auction houses in the UK of late, a couple were absolute beauties, if space was not a problem there would be one in my garage.

Menno, you might raise a smile at this video, my favourite car guy YouTuber has just ‘revived’ a Sonnet 3 . Sadly he didn’t do his usual of getting it running where it was parked and drive it home, which is what he usually does, but it’s a fun watch all the same.

https://youtu.be/SxqQiWejfBw
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Menno, you might raise a smile at this video, my favourite car guy YouTuber has just ‘revived’ a Sonnet 3 . Sadly he didn’t do his usual of getting it running where it was parked and drive it home, which is what he usually does, but it’s a fun watch all the same.

https://youtu.be/SxqQiWejfBw
    I had a quick look. I will give it a full view later this weekend. So far, thanks for the heads-up

Karman Ghia and pump up the engine a bit. Some are doing Porsche or Subaru engine swaps, but I think redoing the VW engine will work better

DON

Blog Entries
    Mechanical jewelry! I like the T34 Karmann Ghia model

Last edited by thieuster; 2nd May 2021 at 15:30.