closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car “clocks” and can they be made into desk clocks?

Car “clocks” and can they be made into desk clocks?

A good friend of mine is soon to be 50
    He has the telephone number salary a d wants fir pretty much nothing - so a gift is a tough one.

He works for JLR

Loves his Jags and RR etc

Got me thinking - could a clock from a dash be made into a working desk clock for example? Do firms do this?
    The clocks seem avail on eBay for reasonable money from various models - but to have it mounted and looking gift worthy and working?

Am I piddling in the wind or are there tinkerers that have done it or that could help? Happy to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes I've seen quite a few at craft fairs. There are loads on eBay as well, roughly about £50.

A clock from a dash can certainly be made into a working desk clock. Straightforward if it is originally a mechanical clock, if powered by the car electrics then you need to have a 12v supply to feed it. I think the mechanical 12v clocks probably draw too much current for adding a domestic appliance battery, but perhaps a car quartz clock could accept batteries in series up to 12v?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    It is probably way more than you are willing to spend, but Bremont have a new range of Jaguar tie-in watches. Each purchase includes a rally timer:

The rally timer integrates two mechanical instruments, a stopwatch with a tachymeter on the left, as well as a clock with sub-seconds on the right. Both are mounted on a beautiful engine-turned back-plate, which can be displayed on an elegant desktop stand or can be fitted into a customer’s car.
    You also get a Jaguar Classic driving experience.

More here: https://www.bremont.com/collections/bremont-jaguar.

I got this one from a MB but I hven't made a case for it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    It is probably way more than you are willing to spend, but Bremont have a new range of Jaguar tie-in watches. Each purchase includes a rally timer:

You also get a Jaguar Classic driving experience.

More here: https://www.bremont.com/collections/bremont-jaguar.
    You’re right with your guess.....

Keep the ideas flowing though Thankyou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure one could do something amazing with this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJ...-/174591950403

Edit. The front should of course be covered by the classic jag walnut decor

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    I’m sure one could do something amazing with this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJ...-/174591950403

Edit. The front should of course be covered by the classic jag walnut decor
    And the back hidden to cover the "made in China" sticker ;-)

What would likely be possible would be dismantling it and replacing the movement with a battery clock movement. I've been doing that to a few of the clocks in the house and using the MSF auto-setting movements for about a £10 or £11
    Last edited by Gyp; 18th April 2021 at 20:24.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As a curve ball, and something I’ve always fancied myself, is having the rear bench seat of an old Jag made into a sofa.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That sent me looking for the Ron Arad 'Rover' chairs. A bit out of my price bracket...
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    And the back hidden to cover the "made in China" sticker ;-)

What would likely be possible would be dismantling it and replacing the movement with a battery clock movement. I've been doing that to a few of the clocks in the house and using the MSF auto-setting movements for about a £10 or £11
    I would have thought you could just run it off a 12v DC PSU you can buy - some of them even have solder on connectors that come with them ?

I adapted some household objects into lights with my girlfriend and we used motorcycle side light holds with LED bulbs and a 12v DC PSU. Just don't buy cheap as some of the 12v ones only deliver about 10v - OK for the lights but not for a clock I would think.