closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ladies Size Orient Kamasu/Diver or Equivalent?

Journeyman

Ladies Size Orient Kamasu/Diver or Equivalent?

Hi All,

Just looking for a decent quality diver for my wife. I naively thought I’d pick up an Orient Kamasu in a smaller size, but can’t find any Orient divers in less than about a 42mm - do they exist?

She tried wearing my Omega Seamaster, which is approx 40mm, for a morning but we both agreed it looked a bit too chunky for her, so...

If not, is there a decent make doing this at Orient type prices? Really wanted that type of look, definitely with high water resistance and sapphire Crystal (or able to be modded easily to one)?

Thanks in advance.

What about a Seiko SKX013 - it's automatic and the case size is 38mm.

Here it is next to it's bigger brother the SKX007

There's always Vostok for bargain bin prices. This 33mm Amphibia with 100m WR can be yours for a measly £35:

If you're not in too much of a hurry, why not save-up for a Breitling Superocean 36 - heck of a lot more £ but also a much nicer watch, and available used for £1500-2K in plenty of different dial options:

etc...

Craftsman
    Perhaps one of Eddie's Baby Dreadnoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Perhaps one of Eddie's Baby Dreadnoughts?
    Good shout, "Baby Willard" too

---

Davosa Ternos Medium at 36mm is also well worth a look - proper well-specced diver with sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel in plenty of colours, not just 2tone...

Journeyman
    First of all, apologies to all who replied as I've not been getting email notifications of posts on the thread so just found all these. Must be a setting, but I can't see what as I'm subscribed and instant email is turned on in my settings...

In any case, thanks for some great suggestions!

I like the Seiko, but isn't that one discontinued now? If Seiko had a newer model (and ideally with a central, rather than offset crown) I'd take a serious look at that.

The Breitlings are nice, but TBH at that price used I'd just go for a mid-size Omega Seamaster, I think.

Davosa Ternos look great, but again, a little pricey and I'd probably spring a little more for a used Omega.

I don't like the dreadnought styling much, but actually do like some of the other, more simple military styles, unfortunately they are only 100m water resistant (which also rules out the Vostok) - I think a minimum of 200m for this watch (ideally 300m) as we're very active and swim a lot.

Any other suggestions very welcome as I hadn't considered any of these!

Journeyman
    Hm... in fact though, can you get an Omega mid-size in an automatic, or are they quartz only...?

In which case the Davosa in blue looks very good.

I had hoped to spend about half that, though, if I'm honest - one of the attractions of the Orient is that it's under £300 in the UK now, amazing really, if they did a mid-size I'd be all over it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's a very nice looking Armida on SC at the moment https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Swiss-ETA-MINT!

(no connection with the seller!)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    There's a very nice looking Armida on SC at the moment https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Swiss-ETA-MINT!

(no connection with the seller!)
    Thanks, that does look nice!

Not personally heard of the brand - are they any good (and long-term serviceable)?

Journeyman
    In fact, having looked at Armida, I've found a potential option I didn't know existed; a 300m water resistant "dress" watch (without numbered, rotating bezel) which doesn't look like a diver, but has the swimability and sapphire glass -

https://www.armidawatches.com/collec...6mm/c/36153424

In fact, if they came with a white face that would be a slam-dunk, but they only seem to do black...

Interesting manufacturer, though, I'm tempted by an A9 GMT myself (I know, I know... start looking for my wife, find another watch for me ).

Seriously, though, great recommendation thanks - would still be interested if anyone knows whether these are long-term servicable, etc.

Long Island Watch. He has some interesting watches generally, and some ladies divers.

No affiliation, but he offers reasonable shipping, might have to suffer the duty though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Screenplayer View Post
    In fact, having looked at Armida, I've found a potential option I didn't know existed; a 300m water resistant "dress" watch (without numbered, rotating bezel) which doesn't look like a diver, but has the swimability and sapphire glass -

https://www.armidawatches.com/collec...6mm/c/36153424

In fact, if they came with a white face that would be a slam-dunk, but they only seem to do black...

Interesting manufacturer, though, I'm tempted by an A9 GMT myself (I know, I know... start looking for my wife, find another watch for me ).

Seriously, though, great recommendation thanks - would still be interested if anyone knows whether these are long-term servicable, etc.
    Glad the brand was of interest. I haven't had one myself, but they pop up here every so often. I can't see why there would be any problem with long term servicing as they have an ETA movement.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    Long Island Watch. He has some interesting watches generally, and some ladies divers.

No affiliation, but he offers reasonable shipping, might have to suffer the duty though.

Thanks I’ll check them out.

Journeyman
    Glad the brand was of interest. I haven't had one myself, but they pop up here every so often. I can't see why there would be any problem with long term servicing as they have an ETA movement.
    Yes very much like the brand combination of styling, functionality and pricing - very interesting to me. In fact, have emailed them to find out more info.

Understood re: the ETA movement - are things like seals universal, then, and available to all watchmakers/repairers?

Master
    Blog Entries
    are things like seals universal, then, and available to all watchmakers/repairers?
    I was actually going to put a caveat that I didn't know about these aspects of servicing - hopefully someone better informed than me can answer....

Journeyman
    I was actually going to put a caveat that I didn't know about these aspects of servicing - hopefully someone better informed than me can answer....
    Thanks, yes that would be useful to know in general, in fact.

Serica's 4512 is worth a look, neat, compact, robust and has different dials and crown positions to choose from -

New 5303 diver is even nicer (imo), but triple your budget and a smidge too big at 39mm:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Serica's 4512 is worth a look, neat, compact, robust and has different dials and crown positions to choose from -

New 5303 diver is even nicer (imo), but triple your budget and a smidge too big at 39mm:

The diver is spectacular, thanks for making me aware of these. Yes outside my budget for this but will consider the brand in future.

The same question as above - are these 3rd party serviceable in the future? In terms of things like movement and seals, etc.? Is it all relatively generic stuff? Sounds silly, but you never know how long smaller brands will be around (although I wish them all success).

The same question as above - are these 3rd party serviceable in the future? In terms of things like movement and seals, etc.? Is it all relatively generic stuff? Sounds silly, but you never know how long smaller brands will be around (although I wish them all success).
    In 99/100 cases the movements are 100% mainstream models - Miyota, Seiko, ETA, Sellita, &c. At most, they may be wholly in-house but nonetheless based on out-of-patent mainstream designs in which generic parts will fit.

Provided you service your watch regularly, and don't wantonly abuse it, it will probably outlast you without this ever being an issue.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    In 99/100 cases the movements are 100% mainstream models - Miyota, Seiko, ETA, Sellita, &c. At most, they may be wholly in-house but nonetheless based on out-of-patent mainstream designs in which generic parts will fit.
    Understood on the movements.

Does anyone know about seals in this regard?

I don't like the dreadnought styling much
    I thought this watch was for your wife? What does she like? Has she seen the Dreadnought?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I thought this watch was for your wife? What does she like? Has she seen the Dreadnought?
    We generally ‘get’ each other’s taste in things pretty well. It’s not a surprise gift, though, so she’s seen the watches - she disliked the dreadnought.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Thanks, that is nice. I think it's a quartz, though not an auto?

Journeyman
    OK so had a chat this morning and it seems that since she saw the Armida A6, she would really like a similar watch with a white face. It turns out this is because she was once given, and loved the look of, a cheap imitation Rolex Explorer - which looks nigh-on identical to me as the A6.

I emailed Armida and was told they have some new face colours coming on the new version, but not white, which is a shame as I like the look of the brand. Are any other brands doing what I assume is a sort of Explorer 'homage' (under a different name) with white face/sapphire/water resist?

Master
    Thanks, that is nice. I think it's a quartz, though not an auto?
    Ah, apologies must have missed that

Journeyman
    Hm. One solution might be a second-hand Longines Explorer, some of which come with all the requirements we need...

Craftsman
    Hi Chap, Our host Eddie (Timefactors)does a white faced Everest, Very similar to the Armida. I believe they are out of stock presently but a WTB might turn one up! Cheers, John B4

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Hi Chap, Our host Eddie (Timefactors)does a white faced Everest, Very similar to the Armida. I believe they are out of stock presently but a WTB might turn one up! Cheers, John B4
    That's nice. We really would like 300m (or at very least 200m) water resistance, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Ah, apologies must have missed that
    No worries, it was a good suggestion, thanks!

Do you need 300m of water resistance for swimming? Just wondering if you're doing yourself a disservice by hunting for something you may not need.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hattori Hanzo View Post
    Do you need 300m of water resistance for swimming? Just wondering if you're doing yourself a disservice by hunting for something you may not need.
    I thought the same - the ISO standard for a diving watch is 100m or greater. It would be a shame to miss out on a watch you really liked for a depth rating that wasn't actually necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving...tal%20darkness.

Having used a watch rated at 100m for recreational diving to 25m a 300m dive watch for swimming seems a wee bit of overkill, just my 2d worth.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.