closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Long shot: Any Eastbourne residents/experts?

Long shot: Any Eastbourne residents/experts?

We're hoping to get away to the coast for a few days in the next phase of lockdown release where pubs and restaurants can serve outside only.
    We're looking at an AirBNB in the Sovereign Harbour area of Eastbourne.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of any of the restaurants or pubs either in the harbour area or within walking distance?

I did try Tripadvisor but the top-rated place seems to be a party some guy held on his driveway last summer - all his mates gave him 5*
    We have broad tastes and will eat almost anything tasty. We particularly like Thai food so 'Thai Marina' is on our list whether that's a table there or a takeaway/delivery to the AirBNB.

Also, where is the best fish and chips? Either for table service on a restaurant terrace or out or paper sat on a harbour wall - we're not fussed.

There’s not much within walking distance but three of our favourite restaurants are in Sovereign harbour.

The Thai Marina is excellent (have the spare ribs as a starter!), the Ganges is one of the best Indian restaurants around (we generally have the set meal for two) and Simply Italian is good too, although the other Italian directly underneath Ganges is OK too.

There’s a chip shop on the harbour too, either eat in or takeaway but we get ours from the chip shop in Pevensey Bay and sometimes just go and eat them
    on the beach with a couple of beers from the convenience store next door.

For breakfast, try the custom cafe on the A259 towards Bexhill.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 5th April 2021 at 11:53.

Thanks.

We may have a reservation for the Ganges. I've reserved online (OpenTable) and am waiting for a confirmation.
    Fish and Chips on Pevensey Beach sounds good too.

It's an area of the UK we don't know well so looking to do some exploring and Mrs MCH loves the sea. She grew up close enough to the coast in Holland to cycle to the beach on the way home from school. Where we live now (on the edge of the Peak District) is great in many regards but she does miss the sea.

I agree with all of these. In addition, ‘4 Seasons’ is my go-to destination at the mid-point of a Hasting-Eastbourne-Hastings cycle blast for simple fayre and refuelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There’s not much within walking distance but three of our favourite restaurants are in Sovereign harbour.

The Thai Marina is excellent (have the spare ribs as a starter!), the Ganges is one of the best Indian restaurants around (we generally have the set meal for two) and Simply Italian is good too, although the other Italian directly underneath Ganges is OK too.

There’s a chip shop on the harbour too, either eat in or takeaway but we get ours from the chip shop in Pevensey Bay and sometimes just go and eat them
    on the beach with a couple of beers from the convenience store next door.

For breakfast, try the custom cafe on the A259 towards Bexhill.

If you make it to Hastings - Goatledge is a great place for a fish finger sarnie on the beach in St Leonards.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Fish and Chips on Pevensey Beach sounds good too.
    A bit of a naff beach bar at Pevensey, but it has fantastic views along the coast to Hastings, and is a great way to spend a couple of hours with a couple of pints if it is sunny.

The cycle along the coast from Pevensey to Hastings in amazing and mostly flat.

A must do walk over Beachy Head from Eastbourne to Birling Gap, then cutting inland to the lovely village of East Dean for a pub lunch. You can then take the number 12 bus back from East Dean to Eastbourne. If there is only one thing you do in the area, do this walk. It is spectacular.

Also can’t beat a couple of pints on the terrace deck of Bistro Pierre. A lovely spot with a nice raised deck overlooking the Channel.

The best views of Seven Sisters and Beachy Head are from the other side of Cuckmere Haven. Park in the South Hill barn car park and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The best views of Seven Sisters and Beachy Head are from the other side of Cuckmere Haven. Park in the South Hill barn car park and go from there.

If you head here, then it’s well worth a short drive up into Alfriston a lovely village with a few decent watering holes, assuming they’ve all survived.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    If you head here, then it’s well worth a short drive up into Alfriston a lovely village with a few decent watering holes, assuming they’ve all survived.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    The wife and I can (or could) often be found sitting outside the little tea room on the square enjoying a cream tea!

Thanks all for the further suggestions.
    I'm pretty sure we've seen that view of the Seven Sisters. The one and only time we've been to that part of the UK was when Mrs MCH's sister worked for a short time in Seaford. We visited for the weekend and went for a walk to Seaford Head.

Yes, that view is from the Seaford side and the best view IMHO.

As always though, with these things on your doorstep, you seldom bother with them. It was only meeting up for a walk with out daughter, her boyfriend and their very boisterous dog, that took us up there for the first time in the thirteen years we’ve lived down here!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 6th April 2021 at 18:30.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. We had a very pleasant time and will go back and enjoy the area at some point.

Our reservation at the Ganges got cancelled - they phoned me to tell me that they'd confirmed it by mistake and that, as they didn't have any outdoor seating we wouldn't be able to eat there but they were doing 20% off collection orders so we had that one evening. Delicious.

We also ate at the Thai Marina one evening (and had the spare ribs, Dave) which was similarly delicious. My only problem was eating outside. This was on our first evening there (Tues). We had planned (or so I thought) to go for a wander round, see what's what and maybe book for another evening but Mrs MCH had already decided we were going to eat there and put an extra thermal base layer on before we left.

Fish and chips? Rosie's at Pevensey, sat on the middle bench admiring the view. To be fair, they turned up seconds after we'd finished eating.

We also had a nice lunch at Bistrot Pierre. Again I was done by Mrs MCH. We walked past it one way and it wasn't open yet, then as we walked back the other way, Mrs MCH started stalling, stopping to look at random plants etc until - would you believe it - we arrived at BP just as they were opening for lunch service. I mentioned (already knowing it was pointless) that we only had 30mins of parking left and that we'd planned to grab some stuff from Asda for a sandwich lunch back at the AirBnB only to be told that as I'd paid for the parking by app, I could no doubt extend it by app and that she was going in to see if they had a table. I didn't complain too much though as it was delicious and we were sat in the sun, reasonably protected from the cold wind.

It had been my intention to PM you about the possibility of meeting up for a coffee whilst you were down but as usual, I was too late and it looks as though you didn’t have the spare time anyway.

Maybe next time?

They often work on the beaches at this time of year ready for the summer season, the shingle drifts eastwards and has to be brought back!

Glad you had a good time but it was unusually cold this last week.