closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Carbon Road Bike Wheels

Blog Entries

Carbon Road Bike Wheels

I have a WTB up and didn’t want to clog the cycle thread up hence a new one.

For starters I’m a trainers over tyres chap but really enjoying cycling and over the past ten days, wifey has stepped up to a brand new Liv and I snagged a 5 month old Cervelo S3 at the weekend.

The S3 is running tubular Fastop 50mm carbons with continental tubulars fitted. Super quick and great for nearby speed rides but thinking days out could be problematic with punchers. Therefore I would like to buy a nice set of clinchers.

Where the heck do I start????

Cheers in advance all.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    This definitely belongs in the other thread. GL though.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Due you think someone is likely to punch you for buying a Cervelo?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I have a WTB up and didn’t want to clog the cycle thread up hence a new one.

For starters I’m a trainers over tyres chap but really enjoying cycling and over the past ten days, wifey has stepped up to a brand new Liv and I snagged a 5 month old Cervelo S3 at the weekend.

The S3 is running tubular Fastop 50mm carbons with continental tubulars fitted. Super quick and great for nearby speed rides but thinking days out could be problematic with punchers. Therefore I would like to buy a nice set of clinchers.

Where the heck do I start????

Cheers in advance all.

Pitch
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    malcolm at the cycle clinic is v.knowledgeable https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/pages/wheelbuilding
    Donrt be fooled by brand names (some of them come out of the same far eastern factories). malcolm will talk to you about rims/hubs/spokes https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/rims

or there is Derek at wheelsmith https://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/ both these guys know all about building wheels and if you have an issue/crash they warranty them and can rebuild them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zipp-202-...8&LH_Auction=1
    Last edited by mrushton; 19th April 2021 at 15:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got a pair of Zipp 303S tubeless for £900 which I would recommend; really easy to fit the tyres and as they are nice and wide I can run at a comfortable 60psi.

You can get some very cheap deep sections on eBay from unbranded chinese factories but I want some decent quality control when it comes to wheels.

I'd recommend J bend spokes and visible nipples if you ever want them to be easily serviced.

I've a pair of Edco Umbrial 45s and a pair of Prime 38s, both of which were second hand and very reasonably priced (the Primes owe me approximately £107).
    The Edco's arre ever so slightly heavier than the DT Swiss aluminium wheels they replaced, but they are more aero and did immediately shave time off my test run.

However, I'm still a fat lad of limited ability and I fancied a set of carbon wheels, because I thought they looked nice. As has been said, a lot of the Chinese stuff (including the Primes) come out of the same factory and use the same moulds, however I expect whilst that applies to the rims, the hubs and bearings might be of varying quality (eg Hunt/Winspace comparison).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Due you think someone is likely to punch you for buying a Cervelo?
    1/10 hahaha... I could blame Apple but my 55yo thumb and proof reading are the culprits .

Cheers

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Many thanks all and some good pointers

Pitch

All depends on budget really... I used tubs for a good while, carried a can of Pit Stop and a spare tyre (Tufo make a really light one - it's utter rubbish but will get you home).

As far as clinchers go, I've been on Zipp 303s for several years and they've been fine. There's a lot of debate and gnashing of teeth about carbon rims on descents and in the wet but I've never had an issue. Not sure I'd trust cheap eBay ones coming down an Alp though.

As a bit of a left field option, have a look at Aero-coach. I used their 70mm front and disk on my TT bike for a while but the Zephyr wheel set looks fantastic and tests really quick at a more reasonable price than many.

I suppose it is rather budget dependent?
    I got these recently as an insurance replacement and really like them:
    https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wh...rc-1400-spline