closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pam BMG-Tech durability

Pam BMG-Tech durability

Got a hankering for a 692 and have a watch lined up if I want it... late initial run T series watch; Feb 19 production.

I know there were some failures of lugs and bezels on the very first watches; the case design/production changed for the next series but they also had a dial redesign which is a load more cluttered with printing so, to my eye, less desirable.

Anyone know by any chance at what point in the first series Panerai got on top of making these (if, indeed, they did)?

Have searched the Paneristi fora but would welcome any views from here; thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Sorry no idea but i have one and it’s probably my favourite Pam. Bought December 2019 and not had any issues

Many thanks for the reply... I’m really dithering on this one and today is make your mind up day.

Would hate to regret passing it up if they become sought after as I suspect they might (as well as for the fact it’s gorgeous looking), but equally don’t want a timebomb on my wrist.

You can find one or 2 horror stories,but I’d not let it bother you ,if you like it go for it ,if you don’t because of a couple of negative comments you’ll never buy anything.
    If you don’t bond I’d happily take it off you with a 50% reduction,with it being a risk and all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very generous offer

Craftsman
    I wouldn’t be put off by horror stories . I’ve also got a ceramic Pam which are apparently even more brittle 😬

BMG is a lovely material, it’s hard to explain but has a really warm glow to it .

Let us know if you take the plunge

Thanks; I think it’s staying... actually have the watch and have been dithering as it was sold to me by an AD as if new current production. I went in to look at the 01389 but made the mistake of comparing it to the BMG, which of course won in the heat of the moment.
    Was only after sharing a few pics it was pointed out to me it was one of the initial run so *could* be problematic.
    However a couple of conversations with the AD concerned, one with a Panerai concierge, and I think I’m reassured enough to keep. First instinct was to return but that dial...

Craftsman
    The dial is superb...this thread is useless without pics....get some up !

https://thumbsnap.com/s/KrJDxXmo.jpg

I had put this one in the Pam appreciation thread so hope cross-posting doesn’t annoy.

Will take some better ones later

I’m not at all ‘up’ on Panerai - I was expecting to see some kind of black carbon cased watch in the picture, what exactly is BMG tech? That just looks like a stainless steel case to me?

Pam BMG-Tech durability

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m not at all ‘up’ on Panerai - I was expecting to see some kind of black carbon cased watch in the picture, what exactly is BMG tech? That just looks like a stainless steel case to me?

The acronym means Bulk Metallic Glass... apparently a weird alloy with glass like properties or a glass made with metals (something to do with non-crystalline structure).

It’s more like titanium in appearance but somehow different; not like polished stainless really despite my photography.

Supposed to mark less than either; until the lugs drop off anyhow

https://thumbsnap.com/s/SZUKDToG.jpg

First outing this afternoon...

Craftsman
    Looks great on the blue strap 👌🏻