closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 50th Birthday in 2 years...Rolex buying advice

Apprentice

50th Birthday in 2 years...Rolex buying advice

I’d call myself a fairly casual watch enthusiast...always had an interest and have had busy periods of buying, selling, collecting.

My next purchase will be a BB58, which I’ve been eyeing for a long time and positively lusting over during the latest lockdown. They’re much easier to get hold of in the UK as well so been trying all the combinations over the last few days. Here’s the thing...

It’s my 50th in two years and I’ve always said to myself I’ll get one of my grails when it comes around. For years the shortlist has only had two watches on it, the Moonwatch and the Explorer 1.

I can easily afford either at MRRP but I usually choose to fish in the shallower waters below £2.5k. The problem is how do I go about getting the Explorer, if that’s the one I want?

Rather than rushing off to get the BB58 from wherever has one, would I be better going to a Rolex AD for that and telling them what my plan is? Would that make even the slightest difference? The BB58 is likely my only purchase between now and then...

I really like the idea of treating myself to one Rolex to mark the occasion and to recognise what I’ve achieved (paying off the mortgage, wife and kids set up for the future, successful career etc.). I always thought I’d be pretty much a standard Rolex customer...sadly following the forums over the last few years this seems to no longer hold true.

Any advice would be appreciated, and give it to me straight, even if it’s not what I want to hear.

Oh almost forgot, the other watch that might stand a chance as an alternative Rolex is the 36 OP in blue.

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never compromise ... it always results in regret.

Targeting to buy an Explorer in 2 years time should be achievable.

I'd buy the 58 from a Rolex AD and order the Explorer at the same time ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the explorer will be very obtainable if you are ok to wait and buy when the call comes, whether it’s today, tomorrow or next year!

My advice is to visit your AD, explain the situation and crucially tell them what you DON’T, just as much as what you do want.

If you walk in and say you want any steel sports model they won’t take you seriously. If you say you one want an explorer, not a Hulk, Daytona, Pepsi etc I think most good dealers will see you as a buyer rather than a flipper.

I’ve tried to get on a list for a Pepsi GMT for the last 2+ years for my 50th next year, with no luck. As someone who just have bought over 50 Rolex watches new from AD’s over the last 25+ years, it’s a pain in the ass!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    As it's your 50th and bi metal is a must at that age you should be able to walk in and buy this without any problems.

Visit your nearest AD in person (may require a call to make an appointment - not sure how it’s working just now). Phone calls alone are (almost always) completely ignored. As others have said, tell them the model you seek, when for and why, and I’d be surprised if they fail to deliver.
    Buying the Tudor will definitely help (though ask about the Explorer first/at the same time). Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If I was in your position Steve, I’d be looking at a local Rolex AD, explaining what your thoughts are and see what they say.

Reading some threads on here, it feels like I’m very lucky in having one of those local independent AD’s, who treat all their customers with genuine respect and are happy to discuss honestly what your chances are. I suspect buying a BB58 from them at the same time, along with your personal reasons for buying, i.e. not a flipper, would stand you in good stead. A 2 year wait on and Explorer sounds achievable to me.

Mind you, I suspect that bi-metal Explorer would be even more achievable and is something I really like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Thanks for the replies so far. Encouraging that the Explorer might be doable.

I don’t have a relationship with an AD but have spoken to my local Goldsmiths today. They were helpful but said the Explorer would be an expression of interest rather than going on a list (let alone making an order). They did offer an appointment to discuss.

I also reached out to my nearest independent via email and calls (Mallory in Bath, although I’m the other side of Bristol) during lockdown to enquire about the BB58. They were really friendly but didn’t have the one I wanted in stock and were keen for me to visit in person after lockdown to sort out the Tudor.

This was before the new 36mm Explorer was announced and that changed everything because before that an Explorer was always going to be pre-owned option as I’ve always been drawn to the classic size.

My gut is telling me to book an appointment to go over to Bath and update them on my thinking. Plan being buy the BB58 on fabric, back to them for the BB58 bracelet in a few months (I know that’s the wrong way round to most but I want the strap and the bracelet anyway and the maths isn’t that different) then hopefully wait it out with them for the Explorer.

Does anyone think I’d be better sticking to my nearest AD which would be Goldsmiths?

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    No idea on the new 36 but I was offered a 39 twice in 2019 so didn’t seem that hard to find. They even had one in WOS on Regents Street on display!

Update to my previous comment and based on your last post, I'd recommend the independent over Goldsmiths - they will be far more appreciative of the business and likely far more accommodating on the allocation of an Explorer. Legend has it that desirable model allocations by the big chains are decided by regional management, plus the likelihood of higher of staff turnover makes it all more of a lottery.

Explain this to the independent too - that you'd rather deal with and develop a relationship with an independent. Let us know how it goes for you!

Hopefully the bubble has popped in time for your birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Hopefully the bubble has popped in time for your birthday.
    This.

If only because I'm fifty in a couple of years too.

Grand Master
    ....................don't!

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman
    I treated myself to a Rolex for my 50th...I did not even consider using one of the chains, I contacted by local independant AD and they sourced me what I wanted quickly, only bought one watch from them previously so not a big spender.
    So, I’d say go with the store in Bath, I suspect they will easily be able to get you what you want.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Update to my previous comment and based on your last post, I'd recommend the independent over Goldsmiths - they will be far more appreciative of the business and likely far more accommodating on the allocation of an Explorer. Legend has it that desirable model allocations by the big chains are decided by regional management, plus the likelihood of higher of staff turnover makes it all more of a lottery.

Explain this to the independent too - that you'd rather deal with and develop a relationship with an independent. Let us know how it goes for you!
    Thanks, appreciate the advice on that. Yep very strong instinct to go this route, especially as I’d already talked to them about the BB58 before the Explorer announcement. A genuine reason for going to them about the Tudor in the first place was that I’d rather support/deal with a local(ish) independent, and I explained that to them at the time.

I’m unlikely to buy much between now and the big 50, so also thinking if I buy the BB58 bracelet later that will at least show them I haven’t flipped the Tudor!

Master
    Blog Entries

50th Watch

Put an order request with my local AD for my 50th watch a few years back, GMTc Pepsi. Just have to see in a few month if it’s been filled? Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo39 View Post
    Thanks, appreciate the advice on that. Yep very strong instinct to go this route, especially as I’d already talked to them about the BB58 before the Explorer announcement. A genuine reason for going to them about the Tudor in the first place was that I’d rather support/deal with a local(ish) independent, and I explained that to them at the time.

I’m unlikely to buy much between now and the big 50, so also thinking if I buy the BB58 bracelet later that will at least show them I haven’t flipped the Tudor!

Craftsman

I'm in a weirdly similar situation, and am planning on getting a SMP from Mallory's soon en route to an Explorer 2 down the line. We should probably synchronise visits & compare notes!

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman

50th Birthday in 2 years...Rolex buying advice

Perhaps not you want to hear but buy a JLC Master Control or Polaris instead. Better prettier watch and you will walk out the shop with it on your wrist.

Definitely go to a good independent retailer whatever you buy, they will serve you better.
    Last edited by slever; 17th April 2021 at 00:11.

Craftsman
    I would register with at least one other AD. Otherwise you’re putting all your eggs in one basket.
    That is unless the owner of the AD is aware of your request.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    I would register with at least one other AD. Otherwise you’re putting all your eggs in one basket.
    That is unless the owner of the AD is aware of your request.
    I’d advise against that. My local AD told me again on Friday that they will delete multiple requests for the same model within the same dealer network.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I’d advise against that. My local AD told me again on Friday that they will delete multiple requests for the same model within the same dealer network.
    Correction..Goldsmiths, M&W & WOS are the same group. Then select an independent. Wish I did that back in 2019 as I have a significant event to mark this summer. The sole AD I registered with I doubt will come through.
    Also have my fiftieth in three years time so considering my options

It's my 50th birthday in two years as well.

I purchased an unworn fully stickered Rolex Seadweller SD43 last September from the forum so I am guaranteed my 50th birthday present to myself.

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I treated myself to a polar EXP2 42mm for my 50th. Was a few years ago now so got a discount and no waiting. Memories.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The fact you're even asking the question should prompt you to buy a different brand.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I’d call myself a fairly casual watch enthusiast...always had an interest and have had busy periods of buying, selling, collecting.

My next purchase will be a BB58, which I’ve been eyeing for a long time and positively lusting over during the latest lockdown. They’re much easier to get hold of in the UK as well so been trying all the combinations over the last few days. Here’s the thing...

It’s my 50th in two years and I’ve always said to myself I’ll get one of my grails when it comes around. For years the shortlist has only had two watches on it, the Moonwatch and the Explorer 1.

I can easily afford either at MRRP but I usually choose to fish in the shallower waters below £2.5k. The problem is how do I go about getting the Explorer, if that’s the one I want?

Rather than rushing off to get the BB58 from wherever has one, would I be better going to a Rolex AD for that and telling them what my plan is? Would that make even the slightest difference? The BB58 is likely my only purchase between now and then...

I really like the idea of treating myself to one Rolex to mark the occasion and to recognise what I’ve achieved (paying off the mortgage, wife and kids set up for the future, successful career etc.). I always thought I’d be pretty much a standard Rolex customer...sadly following the forums over the last few years this seems to no longer hold true.

Any advice would be appreciated, and give it to me straight, even if it’s not what I want to hear.

Oh almost forgot, the other watch that might stand a chance as an alternative Rolex is the 36 OP in blue.

Cheers

Steve

I’m sorry Steve, but as you have only made 11 posts on the forum, it’s company policy to not allow you to talk about Rolex.

If you wish, you can talk about other watches and this will then push you up in our standings. If you talk about, say, Omega and Rado for a few posts and maybe discuss some jewellery it might put you up the list.

If you talk about precious metal Rolex, and then maybe the midsize Datejust we will, in time, allow you to discuss stainless sports models (this is not acknowledging a waiting list to talk about Rolex, merely an expression of interest) but in the meantime, please browse the forum at your will, and look at the Rolex threads that other people have started. But you can’t talk about Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’ve tried to get on a list for a Pepsi GMT for the last 2+ years for my 50th next year, with no luck. As someone who just have bought over 50 Rolex watches new from AD’s over the last 25+ years, it’s a pain in the ass!
    That is just a mad situation.

... But do you think its a good investment....

Very sad to read how utterly ridiculous the situation has become.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Bloody Hell no wonder I’m told to bugger of no matter which dealership it is when I enquired about being put on a list!!!
    I’ve given up now, lost interest in playing the game.
    I’ve got a sea dweller unworn since last service. A millguass GV that needs a service and not worn. A offshore professional that is never worn.

I would say to OP buy the Explorer if that’s what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I’m sorry Steve, but as you have only made 11 posts on the forum, it’s company policy to not allow you to talk about Rolex.

If you wish, you can talk about other watches and this will then push you up in our standings. If you talk about, say, Omega and Rado for a few posts and maybe discuss some jewellery it might put you up the list.

If you talk about precious metal Rolex, and then maybe the midsize Datejust we will, in time, allow you to discuss stainless sports models (this is not acknowledging a waiting list to talk about Rolex, merely an expression of interest) but in the meantime, please browse the forum at your will, and look at the Rolex threads that other people have started. But you can’t talk about Rolex.
    Cheers, this post did make me smile. I am meant to be going in to see an AD in a couple of weeks...but I have to admit I am starting to ask myself what the hell I am doing. The experience of buying something to reward myself for all the hard work over the last 48 years shouldn’t feel like this surely.

May just get the BB58 and see where I am in two years time. If I still want (deserve) the Explorer I can just go lightly used.

Master
    Well that just shows how crazy the world of Rolex is now!! They should be rolling out the red carpet for you.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    As it's your 50th and bi metal is a must at that age you should be able to walk in and buy this without any problems.

These are stunning. Can you actually buy from an AD or are they waiting list watches?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smileyguy70 View Post
    These are stunning. Can you actually buy from an AD or are they waiting list watches?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Perhaps ask an AD? Maybe after 50 posts, I guess.