I’d call myself a fairly casual watch enthusiast...always had an interest and have had busy periods of buying, selling, collecting.

My next purchase will be a BB58, which I’ve been eyeing for a long time and positively lusting over during the latest lockdown. They’re much easier to get hold of in the UK as well so been trying all the combinations over the last few days. Here’s the thing...

It’s my 50th in two years and I’ve always said to myself I’ll get one of my grails when it comes around. For years the shortlist has only had two watches on it, the Moonwatch and the Explorer 1.

I can easily afford either at MRRP but I usually choose to fish in the shallower waters below £2.5k. The problem is how do I go about getting the Explorer, if that’s the one I want?

Rather than rushing off to get the BB58 from wherever has one, would I be better going to a Rolex AD for that and telling them what my plan is? Would that make even the slightest difference? The BB58 is likely my only purchase between now and then...

I really like the idea of treating myself to one Rolex to mark the occasion and to recognise what I’ve achieved (paying off the mortgage, wife and kids set up for the future, successful career etc.). I always thought I’d be pretty much a standard Rolex customer...sadly following the forums over the last few years this seems to no longer hold true.

Any advice would be appreciated, and give it to me straight, even if it’s not what I want to hear.

Oh almost forgot, the other watch that might stand a chance as an alternative Rolex is the 36 OP in blue.

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk