closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Booked tickets to a UK outdoor festival

Blog Entries

Booked tickets to a UK outdoor festival

Gone ahead and booked 2 tickets to a small (300 max) festy happening in July. Camping and general frivolity with live music stages and a few tents selling food and drink. Should be very mellow. Dog and kids friendly type place. Can’t wait for some normality and meet old friends

it’s in deepest Oxfordshire!

Enyone else going to festivals this year?

Martyn

I have a few indoor gigs booked, but festivals have never really appealed to me.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Can't be bothered with festivals but will be going to a gig as soon as I can.

I do like a festival, really wanted to see kiss at download but that was cancelled so not sure if I would bother with any others this year.

Got Jake Bugg booked but not till next year.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I've already booked to go to an indoor electronic music event in May and got Glastonbury tickets for next year.

Tickets booked for Goodwood Festival of Speed for me.

I am not really sure how comfortable I feel about actually going though.

Not for me, I've tickets for the Australian Pink Floyd later in the year, not sure that they will come though? Don't fancy a festival though.

Master
    300 is a tiny festival! Is it in somebodies back garden?!

Master
    For me, at least in the year of 2021, all group events are way off the agenda. It's just not work the risk despite being vaccinated. I regard everyone as a potential germ carrier and I hope they think the same about me.

I'm surprised at some peoples level of acceptable risk.

For example, Goodwood Festival of Speed is in July, with the vast majority of the population vaccinated and being outside, I would have thought you have a higher chance of being run over either on your way there or by a participating car than succumbing to coronavirus.

But I guess it comes down to benefit versus risk...if you derive less pleasure from doing stuff and have the mental image that we are germ carriers, then I understand why you might be happy to potter about solo in your own home.

For me, I think we've got to face up to the fact we have to live alongside this and I'm going to make the most of my summer. I'm not 100% convinced this is our last lockdown so I'll be maximising seeing family, friends, eating out, going to concerts whilst I can. I feel like life is too short to lock away for years when the risk and wider population mortality level has become acceptable.

I'm all for what you say Christian but it'll be the middle ground approach for us this Summer, continue to see friends in limited numbers...keep the groups to one or two families at a time, stay outside, enjoy any live music events they permit us but from a safe distance...no bouncing around in the mosh pit this year. We'll continue restaurant dining but outdoors/ terraces as we've been doing, only at the venues we see are observing the rules tbh mostly everywhere is in this area...Most likely avoid the weekend crowds, nicer anyway when they're not heaving.
    Mask's, handwash, space will still be de rigeur for many months yet over here...hopefully the infection numbers will stay low, come down and the vax numbers continue to go up.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th April 2021 at 14:39.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

For example, Goodwood Festival of Speed is in July, with the vast majority of the population vaccinated and being outside, I would have thought you have a higher chance of being run over either on your way there or by a participating car than succumbing to coronavirus.

But I guess it comes down to benefit versus risk...if you derive less pleasure from doing stuff and have the mental image that we are germ carriers, then I understand why you might be happy to potter about solo in your own home.

For me, I think we've got to face up to the fact we have to live alongside this and I'm going to make the most of my summer. I'm not 100% convinced this is our last lockdown so I'll be maximising seeing family, friends, eating out, going to concerts whilst I can. I feel like life is too short to lock away for years when the risk and wider population mortality level has become acceptable.
    Well said that man.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I'm all for what you say Christian but it'll be the middle ground approach for us this Summer, continue to see friends in limited numbers...keep the groups to one or two families at a time, stay outside, enjoy any live music events they permit us but from a safe distance...no bouncing around in the mosh pit this year. We'll continue restaurant dining but outdoors/ terraces as we've been doing, only at the venues we see are observing the rules tbh mostly everywhere is in this area...Most likely avoid the weekend crowds, nicer anyway when they're not heaving.
    Mask's, handwash, space will still be de rigeur for many months yet over here...hopefully the infection numbers will stay low, come down and the vax numbers continue to go up.
    I agree...middle ground is good and I think we'd be stupid to be ignoring the basics like space, trying to stay in fresh air and handwashing. Ignoring that could well put us back to square-one when summer is over.

Craftsman
    Moseley Folk Festival for me, primarily for Richard Hawley.

It’s in September so fingers crossed all is good.

I'm surprised at some peoples level of acceptable risk....
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Well said that man.
    So tell us where you are going then....?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Since you ask: a close friends' wedding, Black Deer festival, Silverstone Classic and an indoor festival later in the year. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Booked for an indoor electronic/DJ music event taking place in May at Ally Pally. Hopefully got Wimbledon tickets depending on how they make their mind up on event size. Wedding in July.

^
    and
    ^^

Sounds great!

The indoor thing is probably the highest risk...we won't even have come out of restrictions by then. It's being run inside Alexandra Palace at socially distanced tables...presumably under the equivalent rules as a restaurant.

I plan on doing a few UK trips too. The only thing I can't see myself doing this year is international travel...which is a shame because I'm one year into a two year staff travel deal on leaving BA last year. Chances are I miss the entire benefit!
    Last edited by Christian; 16th April 2021 at 16:49.

Master
    I've already booked to go to an indoor electronic music event in May and got Glastonbury tickets for next year.
    what festival is this?

have a house music festival at the end of July near St Albans, then going to Croatia for a dance music festival a few days later & then ADE in Amsterdam in October.

Have loads of gigs carried over and rearranged, also booking a few more along the way.

also had tickets for Bluedot in July, which is electronic heavy, but they have cancelled due to no govt support for cancellations. Also had tickets for North Sea Jazz in Rotterdam but that was cancelled too as they are way behind on vax and were heavily reliant on US artists who seem to be staying & touring at home.

- - - Updated - - -

The indoor thing is probably the highest risk...we won't even have come out of restrictions by then. It's being run inside Alexandra Palace at socially distanced tables...presumably under the equivalent rules as a restaurant.

I plan on doing a few UK trips too. The only thing I can't see myself doing this year is international travel...which is a shame because I'm one year into a two year staff travel deal on leaving BA last year. Chances are I miss the entire benefit!
    that answers that question! :)

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    what festival is this? that answers that question! :)
    I'm guessing you worked out it is Sasha Luzoscura. I'm assuming Croatia is Defected Festival? I've definitely missed festivals and music events!

Latitude with the family. I usually try to get to Sziget but I doubt the travel will be easy if it goes ahead, so probably not this year.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I'm guessing you worked out it is Sasha Luzoscura. I'm assuming Croatia is Defected Festival? I've definitely missed festivals and music events!
    yep, that looks good; unfortunately i'm seeing the House Gospel Choir at The Jazz Cafe that night, but might look at the Saturday. Croatia is Defected, my 4th visit; same resort as Suncebeat & Love International along with a few other promoters.

Desperate to get out and where socially able. Start off next week with Shapeshifters at Night Tales, then have a range of events throughout including a few jazz gigs at Ronnie Scotts, Jazz Cafe in Camden, through to some bigger venues later on. Also doing a few Housework events & Claptone at Printworks later in the year which will be the first proper indoors full on event.

Eclectic range of gigs ranging from a few DJ sets, Mica Paris at Ronnie Scotts, RagnBone Man doing an acoustic set at Jazz Cafe, The Specials and then i'm booked at all sorts including a few comedy gigs & club nights too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Latitude with the family. I usually try to get to Sziget but I doubt the travel will be easy if it goes ahead, so probably not this year.
    nearly booked this when Bluedot cancelled but they only have headlines announced so far & something else popped up. Always a good festival though, especially with kids in tow

Master

It's all about risk. I have just returned from a garden centre which was quiet with mainly retirees as customers who are, by nature, very cautious and keep their distance. I actually had a chat with Giles of Gogglebox fame and we both wore masks and kept our distance.

On the other hand, did you see the closeness of the crowds in Soho the other day, they were squeezing past each other, it is that sort of closeness I would dread.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Gone ahead and booked 2 tickets to a small (300 max) festy happening in July. Camping and general frivolity with live music stages and a few tents selling food and drink. Should be very mellow. Dog and kids friendly type place. Can’t wait for some normality and meet old friends

it’s in deepest Oxfordshire!

Enyone else going to festivals this year?

Martyn
    Which Gig Martyn? I spent many years going to Fairport and even though it's really not my music we always had a great time. Festivals seem almost mythical now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Which Gig Martyn? I spent many years going to Fairport and even though it's really not my music we always had a great time. Festivals seem almost mythical now!
    it’s a little known one : https://elementaryfestival.co.uk/ Oxfordshire. The poor organizer (I know personally) has had to fill out 24 pages of risk assessment from the local council.

Just got an email today - they advised him to ask all punters: We are asked to provide a negative - lateral flow - test result on arrival and also test after day two  (bring your own test kits). It’s not going to be easy as not so clean after being in a field for two days and lovely “communial showers” . TBH my phone runs out after 24h and I’ve no backup power for my tent.

In fact I wanted to go rouge and leave my phone behind. Starts Thursday
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th June 2021 at 17:45.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

it’s a little known one : https://elementaryfestival.co.uk/ Oxfordshire. The poor organizer (I know personally) has had to fill out 24 pages of risk assessment from the local council.

Just got an email today - they advised him to ask all punters: We are asked to provide a negative - lateral flow - test result on arrival and also test after day two  (bring your own test kits). It’s not going to be easy as not so clean after being in a field for two days and lovely “communial showers” . TBH my phone runs out after 24h and I’ve no backup power for my tent.

Local Councils are very inconsistent - even before the Covid thing.

Most are poor at risk management and assessing other organisations ability to mange risk.

The difficulty for organisers is that 'advice' and 'guidance' implies that it is potentially possible to acknowledge these situations and continue as originally planned. The trip wire is that should anything subsequently go wrong and end up in court the advice/guidance takes on a quasi-legal status and may ultimately be a serious situation.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 27th June 2021 at 18:03. Reason: typo
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Excellent, it's great that these events are finding ways to go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Sziget definitely cancelled, but Latitude confirmed as going ahead at full capacity as part of the ERP. Similar control measures although no need to test if fully vaccinated and the LFT is to be done at home before arrival at site.

Also booked the the Happyland local festival for September, which has a fairly eclectic line-up.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH