closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tax Question

Tax Question

Can anyone help with this? Several sources of income (though not large) and my personal allowance is split between them.

How do different employers/funds know which tax rate to apply, is it on advice from HMRC or just their guesswork? If been taxed at (too) higher rate can I get refund now (w/o waiting year for tax return), if so who will sort this out HMRC or employer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Several sources of income
    Are you a top civil servant?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Are you a top civil servant?
    I wish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As far a paye is concerned, the employer receives a tax code from HMRC. Once a current tax code is received any overpaid contributions can be refunded in full at the next pay date providing the employer has sufficient liability to deduct from)

I'd be inclined to speak to HMRC. I may have got lucky but have always found them to be very helpful.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    As far a paye is concerned, the employer receives a tax code from HMRC. Once a current tax code is received any overpaid contributions can be refunded in full at the next pay date providing the employer has sufficient liability to deduct from)
    Ive found with friends and family that the income tax element can be fairly easily sorted, but any NI overpayments were a lot more complicated.
    It's just a matter of time...

Your new jobs should give you a p46 to complete which will let them know that your main job is using your personal allowance and they should then just fully tax you. At tax year end HMRC would do an adjustment if necessary

Master
    If your personal allowances are already split then your doing the right thing, just make sure the allowances to each source don't exceed your likely annual pay as otherwise you'll need to wait till after the year end to claim a repayment.

If you're overtaxed at all then you'll always be able to get that back after the year end so it's just a matter of cashflow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'd be inclined to speak to HMRC. I may have got lucky but have always found them to be very helpful.
    Not being sarcastic but you have been lucky. It’s all call centres and scripts now rather than tax office staff with some tax knowledge.

If you do get “advice” from the call centre, keep a detailed note so you have some comeback if you are given duff information.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    As far a paye is concerned, the employer receives a tax code from HMRC.
    Employee should get a copy too and it’s always worth checking because you hear stories of all kinds of random errors.

When my wife took on a 2nd part time job (combined wages still under her tax free allowance) we went on her gov gateway account and chose what split we wanted the tax codes to be so she didn't pay any tax on either job

It’s not so much the tax codes I’m concerned about but the tax rate.
    Does each employer know what the employee is earning in other jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not being sarcastic but you have been lucky. It’s all call centres and scripts now rather than tax office staff with some tax knowledge.

If you do get “advice” from the call centre, keep a detailed note so you have some comeback if you are given duff information.
    Don't know who or what you've been speaking to but I've spoke to the the tax man 3 times in the last few months and every time I have gotten to speak to someone no problem at all.

1st person even said I was due a £700. 00 refund I had no idea about.
    The second guy sorted out my tax codes due to having 2 jobs and the 3rd one just the other day sorted my tax codes for the new financial year.
    I now have a full allowance on my main job and a BR code on my second job as it's just one day a week.

Best to call them I'd say.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Don't know who or what you've been speaking to but I've spoke to the the tax man 3 times in the last few months and every time I have gotten to speak to someone no problem at all.

If you get what you need, all good. I’ve heard some horror stories which is why I say keep a detailed note so nothing can come back and bite you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    If you get what you need, all good. I’ve heard some horror stories which is why I say keep a detailed note so nothing can come back and bite you.
    Perhaps your charming personality rubs them up the wrong way. Based on your previous contributions to tax questions you seem to have a large chip on your shoulder with regard to HMRC. Care to elaborate?

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you do need to contact HMRC and you cannot get through on the telephone there is a web chat option

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...-and-employees