closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who can honestly say they don't like a train set ??

Who can honestly say they don't like a train set ??

Last edited by notnowkato; 14th April 2021 at 19:27.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d LOVE a model railway but am fearful of the financially ruinous nature of my relationship with hobbies.

Thankfully, me. :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Christmas Day 1957 - my first train set : I’ve never forgotten it. Often think about getting one today but my wife gives me that pitying look when I mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I’d LOVE a model railway but am fearful of the financially ruinous nature of my relationship with hobbies.
    I'm in the same boat. As a kid I used to go to the local model railway exhibitions (but could only just afford the entrance fee) . However VERY luckily I haven't taken it any further.

Model trains do absolutely nothing for me, I must have missed that gene. But I can appreciate the nuttiness of those willing to waste that god-forsaken amount of time setting up those part-filled champagne glasses.

They don't really do anything for me either. I just picture an image of a retired gentleman with a Station Master's hat on in his spare room getting excited about it and reminiscing about days when it was a highly respected position that he dreamt of but he spent his working life in a dull office.

Master
    Doesn’t do anything for me, though I suspect Rod Stewart will like it

Master
    I have always wanted a railway set but the wife really put her foot down and even threatened divorce if I brought one home. She said a man who plays with toy trains is a self confessed weirdo. I therefore have never bought one.

Also just to support her theory of it being weird, I would only be interested in a GWR train, the others hold no interest whatsoever.

Interesting thread because it’s crossed my mind recently but I believe I have an alternative. I’ve been volunteering at a full-size railway for adults to indulge their passion, Swanage heritage railway. I’ve learnt so much about railways, history, infrastructure and operations, and I’m refurbishing full size equipment like signals and lamps, and the sense of satisfaction is enormous. Not only that, when I’m doing something else the fruits of my labours aren’t languishing in a spare room or attic, they’re out on the track (hopefully) being enjoyed by all.

That’s my thoughts on a model railway, go full size.

I've got the Hornby Santa Express which comes out at Christmas and pootles round the base of the tree. Cant imagine having a full set permanently up somewhere, the novelty must wear off pretty quick

Last edited by Brighty; 15th April 2021 at 11:29.

wonder if model railway enthusiats think of watch collectors the same way having small containers with things going round and round inside going tick tock , instead of choo choo LOL

I can honestly say I've never liked a train set.

Craftsman
    Me neither, I was a Scalextric kid

Master
    Rod Stewart is an avid railway modeller

I had a large train set as a kid, it soon became boring. I preferred Scalextric and still have a set. (for the neices and nephews obvs)
    The Miniatur Wunderland is a place I would like to visit, they have a model airport that is just bonkers, now that I would have loved as a kid

I had some further thoughts about this. I think one of the biggest benefits for me was working with other people. On the grounds that it's not what you're doing that's important, but who you are doing it with, I think if the model railway is a club or group project it's a great idea, but as for shutting yourself away in a spare room then it's definitely not for me.

There are train sets, and then there are model engines.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I am in process of building a layout in my loft, 28ft by 8ft, but am also a member of local club so the social side is good for meeting people.
    A definite money pit unbelievable how expensive some bits are.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I was given a nice Hornby train set when I was about 10 and I still have it in my attic gathering dust (I am now muuuuch older!). I seem to recall that you could put some oil in the funnel and it smoked as it went along. I've think I've kept it for sentimental reasons.

A good few years ago I put it all together and I thought it was quite good fun but sadly it didn't engage me like it did as a child so I put it away again. Only last week I unearthed it once more - I think I'll sell it to an enthusiast and use the money for a new watch....................

I also have a Scalextric set but most of my cars are knackered so I looked at what was available as replacements and was supprised at their cost bearing in mind that within a week I will have trashed them as they fly off the end of the track and barrel roll across the room!

I had a Hornby set when I was young, I think most boys would have liked one back the day.

I think they definitely appeal to chaps of a certain vintage. A musical deity of mine, Neil Young owns a massive collection and still owns part of Lionel Trains in the US.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Indeed there are:

Master
    Blog Entries
    What a delightful video :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Do you mind me asking what this is? My Grandad was a huge train enthusiast and he had lots of model trains but a couple very similar to this.

Journeyman
    Just got my Hornby Goods Master set off ebay

Can't wait to build a layout

Sent from my SM-N975F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Do you mind me asking what this is? My Grandad was a huge train enthusiast and he had lots of model trains but a couple very similar to this.
    LNER Class A4 4468 Mallard - The A4 class was designed by Nigel Gresley to power high-speed streamlined trains in the late 1930s. That fully functioning LE Hornby model R2684 was released to mark 70th Anniversary.

Mallard resides in the National Railway Museum, York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_C...4_4468_Mallard
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH