closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Isnt it time someone told Phillip Schofield the truth

Master

Isnt it time someone told Phillip Schofield the truth

His claim that selling to wbac and getting discount for no PX .....it might have been partly true 10 yrs ago but these days trying to negotiate a discount with or without a PX has become a non starter. In fact most dealers lately seem to welcome a PX as it’s the only likely profit element of the deal.
    Phrases such as “what will you do for cash” or “with no PX” just don’t cut it these days. His giddy somersaulting over cars must be based on the income he gets from the ads rather than the factual correctness of them

Craftsman

Isnt it time someone told Phillip Schofield the truth

Not quite true in my experience. I bought a new car on 1st March and got a decent discount when I ordered it (without part ex)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Well that was a surprise.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well that was a surprise.
    So said his wife.

He might do a(nother) runner.

Craftsman
    Disappointed, I was hoping this particular truth would be that nobody wants to see his smug mug on tv anymore.

I'd be smug too if I was getting all those discounts....

Schofield Doesn’t give a toss about the truth, his integrity went down the toilet when he started advertising WBAC , if you listen to the dialogue like most advertising on TV it’s all might and could and If, it’s the way of blatantly lying that the ASA find acceptable.

Yep, total bs from Scofield, most dealers want a PX as they know they can buy it cheap and sell it on for a hefty profit.

Master
    Currently in the market for a used car and I'm getting the impression that dealers are using wbac to find the value to offer on tradeins.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Yep, total bs from Scofield, most dealers want a PX as they know they can buy it cheap and sell it on for a hefty profit.
    Depends on the car being offered in px......and the condition.

i went yesterday to look at a car , quite frankley the dealer was taking the **** with his offer for my car as a trade in and this was also with me paying the rest in cash - dealers make their money from the finance these days , this was an evans halshaw dealership - greed lost them a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    So said his wife.
    😎😎

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    dealers make their money from the finance these days.

This. We couldn't negotiate a cash deal on my wife's last car at all. They offered 800 quid for her old Clio which was worth closer to £3k so I told them to leave that out of the equation, and they flatly refused to knock more than 3% off the peugeot she was looking at (12 months old, car on the forecourt, not a special order).
    I got fed up in the end so told them we'd just go back and buy another Renault we'd looked at, then they started looking at ways to discount for us (surprise!)

Best way to save was to fully finance the car, we got close to 10% taken off the sticker price. We made three monthly payments then paid the balance in full (penalty free).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Currently in the market for a used car and I'm getting the impression that dealers are using wbac to find the value to offer on tradeins.
    Or buyers are using a WBAC price as a guide to the value. When I bought my last car, the dealer offered 2K less than the WBAC valuation as a part-ex. When I showed them the WBAC valuation on my phone they matched it straight away (and the figure on my phone was before WBAC would have driven the final offer down because of stone chips etc).

I worked for a wbac competitor and they rarely make money from the car they buy from the general public and they hope to break even . They are mostly owned by auction houses and they are sourcing stock they would never have had first access to.
    And there is big money turnover involved for the auction companies .
    As we all know the only figure that matters is the cost to swap and there are many avenues that will get you there .
    Some will pay extra for the ease of a deal .
    Some will go the extra mile to maximise there position .

Master
    I’ve nearly always got something to trade, and I don’t like the private selling thing, especially since covid.

The car I purchased last November, I used WBAC and Carwow quotes with the dealer. I asked them to match the carwow quote I’d obtained which was better than they were offering, which they agreed. I then waited to see what they offered for the trade in, which was a bit lower than WBAC, but again they matched it.

I also got a £2.5k dealer manufacturer contribution for taking out a PCP, which I settled with a small admin fee inside 30 days.

I’m not a particularly clever bloke, I thought that’s what everybody was doing these days, using WBAC and broker quotes etc to help you? If I had no trade in, I’d just use a broker like Carwow anyway.

But yes, the adverts are rubbish!

Craftsman
    Maybe time to be honest with himself (again).

You never know, it could lead to another £££ ten page 'Hello' magazine spread. 'My PX Heartache' with Phil looking forlornly into the bonnet of an Ecoboost Fiesta.

WBAC are part of BCA (British Car Auctions) who own Cinch and The DVLA Registration number business

https://www.bca.co.uk/ it’s a huge business

When I bought my T6 campervan last year the dealer/converter said he would take my car in px and he would give me whatever quote wbac came up with at that moment, which we did on my phone and he honoured it. Easy and hassle free for both of us.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 14th April 2021 at 08:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    When I bought my T6 campervan last year the dealer said he would take my car in px and he would give me whatever quote wbac came up with at that moment, which we did on my phone and he honoured it. Easy and hassle free for both of us.
    I sold an MX5 a couple of years ago WBAC offered £2550, I sold it for £6600, last year I sold a Mini WBAC offered £7750, I sold it for £14000.

They are crooks and chancers,

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I sold an MX5 a couple of years ago WBAC offered £2550, I sold it for £6600, last year I sold a Mini WBAC offered £7750, I sold it for £14000.

I'm sure they could be. However, I had done my research beforehand and the wbac quote was commensurate with the value of my car (which was a very common model) on local forecourts and online so I was very happy with the easy deal.

If you believe PS does all those tricks and stunts you should also believe him.

Adverts are not supposed to be objective reviews. I am sure he gets good money for it, so why should he say no?
    The advert's tone itself means maybe you should not take it too seriously. YIMV
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If you believe PS does all those tricks and stunts you should also believe him.

Adverts are not supposed to be objective reviews. I am sure he gets good money for it, so why should he say no?
    The advert's tone itself means maybe you should not take it too seriously. YIMV
    To a point, but who is the advert aimed at, the educated and informed or the lazy and desperate

WBAC should be categorised with pay day lenders

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Maybe time to be honest with himself (again).

You never know, it could lead to another £££ ten page 'Hello' magazine spread. 'My PX Heartache' with Phil looking forlornly into the bonnet of an Ecoboost Fiesta.

Those figures are shocking. They are supply and demand business. If the auctions are full they don't really want to buy your old car and the figures will reflect that but again those figures are an eyeopener.

Schofields been rubbish ever since Gordon the Gopher decided enough was enough.

Pal of mine got offered £4,700 more PX (on a BMW 530) for a Volvo XC90, than BMW offered him against an X5

On a whim, after he had agreed the Volvo PX - he contacted WBAC. They gave him £1,700 more than the Volvo PX!

Drove down to the local inspection unit - got the money transferred, and walked home!

Master
    just been thinking about changing my wife's BMW X1 - it's a xdrive Sport 2 Litre diesel with 11,000 miles on the clock - 68 Reg and 3 years old next August so still under warranty. The car has been serviced by BMW and is unmarked inside and out and has leather seats....... it needs nothing as even the tyres have only done 5,000 as we use winter wheels for half the year - similar cars are being advertised by BMW Dealers for £22,500 - they offered me just over £16k in part exchange for a similar condition 68 Reg X3 that is advertised at £35,000. The original list price of the X1 was just over £37k.

If their margin on the X3 is similar to the X1 they would be making at least £10k on the deal and maybe more.
    Last edited by BillN; 14th April 2021 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Pal of mine got offered £4,700 more PX (on a BMW 530) for a Volvo XC90, than BMW offered him against an X5

On a whim, after he had agreed the Volvo PX - he contacted WBAC. They gave him £1,700 more than the Volvo PX!

Drove down to the local inspection unit - got the money transferred, and walked home!
    Friend of mine got £1400 more for a Focus ST from them than the best px offer they had. A bit of a lottery it seems.

WBAC offered me more a couple of months ago for my Golf than I paid for it 8 months earlier.

The latest offer (I'm not really interested in selling, I was just interested in what I could get at the time) has dropped below that price now, but not bad for 10 months use.

I was surprised at how much they offered, but I don't imagine they're ever going to be on the generous side!

If you're buying new or newly new, dealers seem far more interested in you taking out a finance deal than paying cash, in my experience.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

If you haven't got the sales manager over your knees with his pants down, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    If you haven't got the sales manager over your knees with his pants down, you're doing it wrong.
    this is just what im not interested in tbh, im there to look at buying a car and want to get in and out in the fastest time possible i dont want to spend time messing about going backwards and forwards on prices.
    i told this to the sale guy yesterday when i went to look at a car , i dont want the sales patter bull - just give me you best price and if its good enough i'll take if not i'll walk away - frankly they took the **** on the trade so lost a sale - when i indicated this he started off 'maybe we can..... ' at which point i was already half way out the door as i'd already told him i was not interested in the salesman shite.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    this is just what im not interested in tbh, im there to look at buying a car and want to get in and out in the fastest time possible i dont want to spend time messing about going backwards and forwards on prices.
    i told this to the sale guy yesterday when i went to look at a car , i dont want the sales patter bull - just give me you best price and if its good enough i'll take if not i'll walk away - frankly they took the **** on the trade so lost a sale - when i indicated this he started off 'maybe we can..... ' at which point i was already half way out the door as i'd already told him i was not interested in the salesman shite.
    Exactly the correct policy - half of the last dozen cars I've bought came from 400+ miles away, sourced via internet. I always offer the deal to the locals and if they can't match in five minutes it's a button click and go collect or have delivered.

Totally changed world nowadays.

Master
    Blog Entries
    WBAC offered me £9250 for my 5 series estate. I ended up trading it against a 18 month old 5 and they gave me £12500.

WBAC have just offered £19,720 for our GLC. Based on this thread that probably means almost £24k in the real world.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Very true. I recently sold my Amarok. I was offered a measly px with lots of excuses from multiple VW garages. Decided to try my luck private, recouped 6k more and to cap it all a VW dealer still bought it from me and still made a handsome profit. Just highlighted to me how much profit and greed is on the dealers forecourts

Master
    I think WBAC do indeed buy any car, but not at any price.

Sometimes the offer will be a ‘we’ll buy it, but we don’t really want it’ price.

Because of the nature of the owners, they only really offer proper money for in demand vehicles. Some EVs are fetching good money, even from WBAC, as are other in demand vehicles.

It’s just another option when shifting a car on isn’t it, personally I don’t like selling cars privately and the one time we used it the price was ok, not amazing, but ok.

Thought this was about something important for a second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk