closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Look at what I've been playing with

Journeyman
    STOP THE PRESS!!

I just put on a Tudor BB 58 (black and gold) on the wrist, and I was floored by how beautiful the rose gold colour was. I previously did not consider this watch, because in pics it doesn't look that great, but I was amazed by how beautiful it was on the wrist.

Point is: Eddie, please do not use yellow gold on this watch! Trust me on this, rose gold looks much much much nicer. Please consider switching if you can.

I had so many black dial/black bezel watches which is why I am in line for a blue version when the AD gets it, but I am seriously considering switching to the black just because of how beautiful the rose gold looks on a black watch. Of course, if your watch has rose gold, then I don't feel the need to get the black/rose-gold BB58.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 18th October 2021 at 03:41.

Craftsman
    They should be available early in the New Year, there's too much else going on in the run-up to Christmas.

Eddie

Something lovely to look forward to as the dark nights draw in, saving the pennies for this one - whilst wearing a Smiths Navigator.

Apprentice
    Still can't wait!

Frankly, I'm amazed at my own patience!

Journeyman
    I just received my BB58 black and my I must say, it is one of the prettiest sports watch I've ever seen. The adoration of this watch is well deserved. What makes this watch work is the rose gold - not pink gold; I put the watch next to a Breitling that was 2 tone and used pink gold, and the BB58 definitely is lighter on the reds, but to my eye is better looking. Also what I really like is that the matte dial matches the matte bezel and the bezel markings are rose gold too so it gives the watch a more dressier appearance.

Anyway the reason I wanted to share this is because I think these elements can make the Smiths a nicer watch: using a subtle rose gold, rather than yellow gold and making the bezel a rose gold too as opposed to using lume fillings.

This is how much I love the look: I have a BB58 blue, and I bought the black just because the rose gold looks so beautiful. Pictures just don't do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    STOP THE PRESS!!

I just put on a Tudor BB 58 (black and gold) on the wrist, and I was floored by how beautiful the rose gold colour was. I previously did not consider this watch, because in pics it doesn't look that great, but I was amazed by how beautiful it was on the wrist.

Point is: Eddie, please do not use yellow gold on this watch! Trust me on this, rose gold looks much much much nicer. Please consider switching if you can.

I had so many black dial/black bezel watches which is why I am in line for a blue version when the AD gets it, but I am seriously considering switching to the black just because of how beautiful the rose gold looks on a black watch. Of course, if your watch has rose gold, then I don't feel the need to get the black/rose-gold BB58.
    Not sure I see what you're getting at - where is there any gold on the Smiths? I'm not seeing any yellow or rose or any other sort.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Not sure I see what you're getting at - where is there any gold on the Smiths? I'm not seeing any yellow or rose or any other sort.
    are you a troll or colour blind?

STOP THE PRESS!!

Maybe I'm colour blind too, but is that really rose gold? Looks like normal (yellow) gold TBH.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe I'm colour blind too, but is that really rose gold? Looks like normal (yellow) gold TBH.
    well the previous poster was talking about the Smiths. If you read all the reviewers reviews on the BB58, they all say it's rose gold. I myself thought it was yellow gold until I saw it in person. In person, like I just said, isn't a "pink gold" - it is halfway between yellow and pink so it's a less red rose gold. It's a stunning colour in real life.

are you a troll or colour blind?

Gosh you're a little angry thing aren't you. I saw this as the latest one, which apparently it isn't.

Be calm. It's a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post

Inspired me to mess around in Lightroom. Wrong hands of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Gosh you're a little angry thing aren't you. I saw this as the latest one, which apparently it isn't.

Be calm. It's a watch.
    How do you construe emotion in a post without any punctuation?

Anyway, I'm taking a closer look at my BB58, and it appears that the dial text/markings are a subtle rose gold, and the bezel markings are a subtle rose gold, but the hands and hour markers are a rich yellow gold. So the combination together gives the appearance that the entire package is rose gold, when it is in fact a combination of 2 gold colours. This may be why so many people like this watch, because the combination of 2 gold colours is really nice. Sometimes a watch with too much yellow gold is too "yellow gold" and a watch with too much rose gold can also sometimes be too much "rose gold"; but the BB58 pulls gilt off so nicely because of using 2 different colours.

Just watched the mini review of the mono pusher Eddie, superb piece once again.

Any update on the release of the commander??

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Just watched the mini review of the mono pusher Eddie, superb piece once again.

Any update on the release of the commander??

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    The Commander isn't even in production yet, I'll pt that and the Tranglobal into production early in the new year.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Looks much better without the Commander word, which was much too big a font on the prototype, and made the dial look unbalanced (dominating the Smiths logo in the top half)

I think that if you are going to do an Oyster bracelet without rivets, then it needs also to ditch the end plates that the rivets would sit on.

I don't get the obsession (not just Eddie's products) with rivet-look bracelets. A nice quality, regular oyster will always go down a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Looks much better without the Commander word, which was much too big a font on the prototype, and made the dial look unbalanced (dominating the Smiths logo in the top half)

I think that if you are going to do an Oyster bracelet without rivets, then it needs also to ditch the end plates that the rivets would sit on.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I don't get the obsession (not just Eddie's products) with rivet-look bracelets. A nice quality, regular oyster will always go down a treat.
    +1, I don`t get it either and I much prefer a straightforward oyster design.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1, I don`t get it either and I much prefer a straightforward oyster design.
    And another +1, what's the point of faux rivets?

Same here. A plain oyster draws the attention to the watch and enhances it.

Hum I guess I’m in the minority here. I’ve always liked the black bay faux rivet bracelet, I like how it has a stepped type of taper. I have enough watches with a standard oyster so I suppose it’s always nice to have something different and a bit of a throwback to older rivet bracelets. Either way Eddie will be changing it.
    Last edited by theflyingfisherman; 30th November 2021 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    Hum I guess I’m in the minority here. I’ve always liked the black bay faux rivet bracelet, I like how it has a stepped type of taper.
    That was the first thing I noticed when I got the Expedition with the faux rivets. It did take me back. To be honest, day to day I hardly notice the rivets. It must be another of those things like "the date" where 50% will hate it and 50% will love it.

Gorgeous.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Wow, lovely indeed.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Gorgeous.

R
    Love that old school gilding, apart from Smiths and NTH, do anyone know of other brands doing it?

I have just got myself a Helson Sharkmaster 300. Usually these are a Seamaster homages, but this one is an Eberhard Scafograf homage (the 60s Eberhards used a very similar case to the Seamaster 300), with gilded hands and indices. It's great (but sold out, sorry).

Picture by joey_c001 in Instagram

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I do not need anymore watches
    I do not need anymore watches
    I do not need............

Eddie you are ruining my attempts to exercise some measure of self control.

This is going to be a great watch...classic size and looks.

This really does look very nice. Looking forward to seeing the final version in photos and, fingers crossed, the flesh as well!

Release date anyone??

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

A possible future model of the Commander could have a tinted glass dial as per the Spinnaker Croft Mid-Size Skeleton Automatic above. The darker the tint the better. The tint above is about right but some pics show it to be much clearer.

Picture by ablogtowatch
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Blog Entries
    Ouch, that’s ugly.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Sorry, not feeling that in the slightest.
    I see the Commander as a classic re-imagined, with modern specification updating classic looks.
    Putting a tinted clear dial on that is like putting a table-top spoiler on an E-Type

Craftsman
    That's definitely not to my liking I'm afraid but as they say, each to their own and all that...

Master
    Is there any update on this? Of the new models coming its the one im most looking forward to

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Is there any update on this? Of the new models coming its the one im most looking forward to
    Same here. So much that I compiled as many smiths commander photos I could and dive into them every couple of weeks. Here's hoping it's still called "Commander".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Is this fume dial version likely to happen, and if so when?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiken View Post
    Here's hoping it's still called "Commander".
    I agree, that’s a great name, and one that’s as appropriate for a Skindiver watch as Everest is for an Explorer type.

With the water resistance upped to 300 meters, has the overall thickness of the watch increased? I believe it was originally implied at around 12.1mm sometime during the initial posts.

Sorry for the poor photos, finger prints, dust and lighting, the professional shots will be getting done soon.

It’s slightly thicker, around 13mm due to the 300m update.

Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

Thanks for the clarification and additional images . While I did appreciate the "Commander" on the prototype for its aesthetic, the "300 Meters" does give it a slightly cleaner look. I can't wait to see proper photos of this beauty to really show off that dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post

Sorry for the poor photos, finger prints, dust and lighting, the professional shots will be getting done soon.

It’s slightly thicker, around 13mm due to the 300m update.

Looks pretty much perfect to me!

The caseback medallion is a surprise.
    Will there be a lume shot in the finalised pictures?
    And where in the line-up is this one's release date likely to fall?

Yes there will be a lume shot.

It should be around October I believe but may be brought forward depending on how other models are received.

Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The caseback medallion is a surprise.
    A very welcome one for me. :-)

Thanks, I just read that on the other thread (which I didn't think would hold any Commander info).
    Shame about the name being relegated, it looked so much more unique with its name on the dial, everyone puts the depth rating where it is now.
    I understand that the more expressed opinions wanted it gone, but I had hoped that a simple reduction in font size might have appeased them.
    Am I right in thinking that the lume (on both dial and bezel) has also gone a lot more vintage (coloured) than the prototype?

Yes it’s the vintage lume.

Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

Vintage lume compared with an Everest.

Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

That looks like it has been applied quite well. Is the vintage color of the numerals on the dial the same color as the numbers on the bezel?

Welp… that clinches it. Count me in! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post

Vintage lume compared with an Everest.

Thanks for the lume shot, looks good

Craftsman
    The lume looks great, it's shame that the COMMANDER text was replaced as I rather liked it however, the WR rating is a nice touch but the text just looks a little small, it could be larger, leaving too much negative space on the dial in my opinion, but that's just me.

Another massive seller I'm sure when it is finally released.