closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Look at what I've been playing with

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    How about "Rotoplot". ;-)
    I reckon those three would be way too close to Turn-O-Graph.
    I agree, they’re probably a bit cheeky.

That said, when the time is right I’d like to see Commander II with the Turn-O-Graph style gilt dial, a white bezel, and a jubilee bracelet, and I don’t mind what it’s named.

Master
    Knock at the door this morning. First impressions are very good. Overall size is good and the height isn't an issue but I probably would have preferred reduced WR for a slimmer case but that's a minor moan.

The value for money on Eddie's offerings continues to amaze me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

There’s one for sale on the TF Facebook page at £379.90 which is the cost of the purchase plus a fiver towards RMSD. Bracelet is removed, unsized and stickered.

I don’t know or have any affiliation to the seller.

Master
    UPS is pissing me about with my delivery. Was supposed to be delivered yesterday but had to be in the office. Tried to change the delivery address or to pick up at local access point - computer says no. Get home to find the missed delivery note and will be delivered today. So, work at home today. Get the out for delivery email this morning. Then an hour ago I got another one saying that a change in delivery has been requested and that it won't be delivered today but tomorrow. Now waiting for a phone call from the local UPS depot in Sheffield as I need to be in the office for the rest of the week.

...and finally delivered.
    Last edited by markbannister; 12th October 2022 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Reading the thread you quote it appears to be the small 36mm case size and the fact that Eddie has looked into using the Turn-O-Graph name and noted that Rolex has continued registration to it which stopped an homage being made closer to the vintage Rolex design.

As far as the 36mm Everest was concerned, at the time Eddie was playing with different dials and hands so I thought why not put a bezel on it as a quick variation (and I proposed the 6202 as an example of a 36mm with a bezel). When Eddie showed a 38mm variant starting from scratch then who is to argue with that. A 38mm makes much more sense.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Knock at the door this morning. First impressions are very good. Overall size is good and the height isn't an issue but I probably would have preferred reduced WR for a slimmer case but that's a minor moan.

The value for money on Eddie's offerings continues to amaze me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I agree I don't think the height is an issue and I like the bezel size. Fantastic value for the money........... mine also arrived today....... and also in Chelmsford!

Such versatility. It plays so well with the light.

Look at what I've been playing with

Just popped in to flag up that my review is now live, but I have been beaten to it. Thank you for putting that up.
    Sorry it is a little late, WG have a queuing system for their content. This bumped the queue, but not enough to be published before the Commander got its release.
    I hope it adds a little to the anticipation for this. It is an extraordinarily versatile watch, and great value.
    I am hoping to get one this weekend, good luck to all that go for it on Sunday,
    Dave

Journeyman
    wow, great review. It sure made me want to get one. Let's see if I can get in on time.

Mine is still stuck somewhere between ups and it subcontractor office ...need to call them again this Monday to clarify it...

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I got it! I think it took me 30s? :-)

I got #7262
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 16th October 2022 at 14:50.

Looks like I’ve snagged one too!

Me too

I missed out, too slow

Apprentice
    Yes, I got one, ordernr 7367. Took me about 90 secs, incl creditcardcheck in bankapp.
    Looking forward to unboxing.

I was lucky enough to get one today....order number 7273

I really look forward to recieving it.
    Last edited by Plinky; 16th October 2022 at 15:42.

Great news for those that missed their opportunity, alongside more opportunities for black, white, and gilt dial Everest (and the cozy Expedition ).

Maybe, we will even see some updates to the Commander...

Craftsman
    -6 seconds in a week whilst my Commander has been welded to my wrist.
    This wears very well and has excellent light play.

Of possible interest is that my Weishi 1000 shows that the movement has quite huge variation according to the tilt, however it all averages down when actually worn to as accurate as you really can ask a mechanical watch, certainly more accurate that my Omega Co-axial.
    Obtaining +0 when face up is not necessarily the way to go. Going to let it settle down over a week more and then give it a very slight nudge, face up is currently +8 sec. Will move to +7/6. Or leave well alone if things settle down. (bit of a fanboy of JDM atomic wave watches so a little spoilt in terms of timekeeping)
    Last edited by wallyuk; 16th October 2022 at 21:17.

UPS France has now confirmed they have lost my package ! no more smith commander for me !
    Quote Originally Posted by oca9i View Post
    Mine is still stuck somewhere between ups and it subcontractor office ...need to call them again this Monday to clarify it...

UPS France has now confirmed they have lost my package ! no more smith commander for me !

Gutted for you.

Terrible news! Very sorry to hear that :(

Journeyman
    @oca9i - sorry to hear about your loss, that sucks.

I want to give a short review of this watch as I wear it:
    1. The gilt printing on the dial is extraordinary. It is the first gilt printing that shines, with an effect I can only describe as it is as if the entire dial is gold, and the black part of the dial is painted over it. For those familiar with sunburst finish will observe that the charm of the sunburst finish is that the reflection of the light rotates around the dial in a circle as you rotate your wrist - this same sunburst effect carries over to the gilt printing as if the gilt printing is also sunburst. This gives the appearance of a lighthouse rotating over a gold surface, and it is really really really nice.

So normally with a gilted logo for example, the entire logo will uniformly reflect the light, whereas with this watch, only the sunburst part of the logo will light up, so as you rotate your wrist the light will sweep over the logo. Really, really cool. I promise you you will be rocking your wrist back and forth to see the light reflection sweep over the logo.

2. The bezel is very high quality. The markers appear gold in colour, and maybe that's an illusion because of the gilt dial, but I really like it, and the red paint on the triangle is a rich dark colour that is really nice. Aesthetically I have no complaints about the bezel, but I think the ratchet sounds a little cheap to me - nothing wrong with it functionally (there is no play back and forth), but it's not as nice as say a Tudor bezel. However, it resets perfectly to the markers unlike Seiko. It sounds and feels like it is using a leaf spring ratchet, but because there is no side-to-side play in the movement, I wonder whether it is something much better.

3. Bracelet and case are very high quality. Very pleased. I wish the clasp had an on-the-fly extension or a divers extension though.

In my collection of divers/sports watches, Rolex and Tudor sits at the top, and the $1k-$2k Seiko divers sit below that. I would sit this Commander in between the Seikos and the Tudors - it really is that nice. Aesthetically, they are better than the Seikos and that antimagnetism make it superior functionally to the Seiko. I have Seiko MarineMaster ratchet extension clasps on my 3 Seiko divers, so in that respect the Seiko is better, plus the Seikos have their hard coating on the steel (which is nice to have, but not a must have).

From a value proposition, this watch is hands down THE BEST value sports watch on the market. Period. I cannot emphasize enough how important that 20000A/m antimagnetic protection is. Without it, the Commander would be "just another sports watch", because a billion and one microbrands are coming out with the exact same thing and no way to differentiate them except on how they look, but only the BEST companies in the world bother with antimagnetic protection. Since Smiths bothers to be more than every other brand by adding that magnetic protection, and because the Commander has such high quality features, aesthetically and functionally, for its price, this watch is a 10/10. It simply doesn't have any competition.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 21st October 2022 at 03:25.

Agree 100%! It’s outstanding in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post

this watch is hands down THE BEST value sports watch on the market. Period. I cannot emphasize enough how important that 20000A/m antimagnetic protection is. Without it, the Commander would be “just another sports watch", because a billion and one microbrands are coming out with the exact same thing and no way to differentiate them except on how they look, but only the BEST companies in the world bother with antimagnetic protection. Since Smiths bothers to be more than every other brand by adding that magnetic protection, and because the Commander has such high quality features, aesthetically and functionally, for its price, this watch is a 10/10. It simply doesn't have any competition.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanksteak View Post
    Agree 100%! It’s outstanding in every way.
    Ik kijk er naar uit, volgende week waarschijnlijk.
    I am looking forward to it, probably next week.

Home run

Thanks Eddie for another great watch. Maybe the greatest thing about Britain right now and the favorable exchange rate for us Seppos.

As much as I have I been appreciating the commander on a steveo strap that suits it perfectly, I just can't keep this off my wrist.....

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

There is a solution.

Prefer this on leather and it’s definitely a looker..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Wow, got my Commander today in Arnhem NL. Shipped last Saturday, pretty fast. Sized the bracelet etc.
    Love it, looks and wears great. Thanks Eddie, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiken View Post

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It looks so much different and better on the jubilee.

Mr Platts and Co., would it be possible to have the Traveller GMT on jubilee please?
    From my mouth to God's ears. Thank you.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    From my mouth to God's ears. Thank you.
    Agreed, can't wait for that one! Got a Commando on the way, once that Traveller is released I'll be nabbing rhat and be a happy camper.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Hoping to add one of these to my collection this Sunday. From what I've seen on the Friday and Incoming posts, it looks like it works well on the bracelet or a variety of NATOs.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Last edited by sish101; 31st May 2023 at 22:30.

I managed to get one last month and have kept it on the bracelet (SWMBO says it’s the best combination and who am I to disagree 😂). I like accuracy in a watch and am often disappointed, so until I received the Commander I had been wearing my Mission Timer (-6 seconds in 9 months, worn 24 hours a day apart from showers, etc).
    With some lack of expectation I started timing the Commander, and after a couple of days erratic blips whilst the oils settled, the results have been really good! In 17 days it has gained 4 seconds, being worn 16 hours a day (-3 seconds) and then left overnight dial down for 8 hours (+3 seconds). At the moment it’s “better” than my Submariner and Tudor SG, both of which rum at +1 second a day no matter how they are worn. And it looks really smart as well! 😎