closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Garage Door, Talk to me

New Garage Door, Talk to me

Looking to replace a very old single Garador with something more modern. Doesn’t need to be electric as it is more of a workshop and storage room than anything else. Must be secure as it allows access to the main property. Plus wind and water tight.

Anyone been through the process recently and have any suggestions or recommendations (I’m in Cheshire)

Opinions and thought as always very welcome from the TZ collective .

Cheers

Master
    Hormann all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Hormann all the way.
    thanks for the heads up will have a look now.

worth mentioning its not our forever house, just need replacing and tidying/securing up.
    prices are vast and varied so far....

Master
    Hormann do a whole range from cheaper to very expensive.

Hi OP, I see you are in Cheshire as am I.

I can fully recommend Teckentrup in Warrington, I purchased an insulated sectional garage door from there 10 years ago and it has been perfect. Mine is electric but I assume they do manual door also?
    Last edited by dustybottoms; 13th April 2021 at 13:21.

Another vote for Hormann here - we had a sectional single electric garage door fitted 10 years ago and it still looks brand new, no problems whatsoever. I can't remember the price, but I didn't feel the need to haggle, which is unlike me, so it must have seemed reasonable. [I have no experience of other brands.]

Blog Entries
    Sorry to go OT…. On big old timber doors I assume there’s a contraption you can get that opens them electronically?

Another vote for Hormann doors, especially 40mm insulated sectional, which makes your garage into a heated workshop in the winter with even a small heater.

Had my electric doors 10 years, serviced after 5 years, and still look brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Sorry to go OT…. On big old timber doors I assume there’s a contraption you can get that opens them electronically?
    There is, but they tend to be more fiddly and expensive than the roller versions as you need to deal with both doors (2 sets of rams). Securing the doors closed is also a bit of a faff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    There is, but they tend to be more fiddly and expensive than the roller versions as you need to deal with both doors (2 sets of rams). Securing the doors closed is also a bit of a faff.
    Mmmhh…. Will have a look…. Ideally I want to park my car in my garage and who wants to go through the faff of opening a door?

Might be a job for a pro?

Might be a job for a pro?
    Agreed.

My brother fits garage doors for a living and he hates doing these (paired doors) installs the most!

Master
    I've just had a couple of Hormann Rollmatics fitted. They are excellent. The garage is significantly warmer than it was with the old doors, and definitely more secure. I'm in South Cheshire and used a firm (Kart Industrial Doors) recommended by Hormann.
    Last edited by downer; 13th April 2021 at 20:57.

Master
    Have a chat with Michael and see what he can do for you https://www.snapesgaragedoors.com/ he’s good

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Agreed.

My brother fits garage doors for a living and he hates doing these (paired doors) installs the most!
    Is he in Leicester by any chance?!!

I’ve just done a bit of research - swing gate openers are what I need…. Will be about £300 and then someone to fit…. Anyway, I have so many other projects on the go it’s likely to be on the back burner for a bit…

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed.

I’ve just done a bit of research - swing gate openers are what I need…. Will be about £300 and then someone to fit…. Anyway, I have so many other projects on the go it’s likely to be on the back burner for a bit…

He is Suffolk based, but I don't think it would make much difference anyway as I have tried to get him to do my paired doors in the past and he wouldn't do it!

I think he gets too many call backs when the doors warp/swell/shrink and then the automations or base lock don't work. They can also be a problem when it is windy, as the wind can bend the arms/fixings (apparently) as the doors act like giant sails.

Master
    Also have a look at Seceuroglide. I had one fitted at my old house. It was in place 10 years by the time I moved. Never went wrong and never needed a service etc. It just worked.

Blog Entries
    Hormann excellent doors had a double sectional at the last property and very happy now have a very expensive Garador wood one fitted by the developers at our current property and whilst it’s ok it weighs a ton ( had it electrified as the wife could not lift it) IMO it’s not in the same league as a sectional or a simple roller door.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    He is Suffolk based, but I don't think it would make much difference anyway as I have tried to get him to do my paired doors in the past and he wouldn't do it!

I think he gets too many call backs when the doors warp/swell/shrink and then the automations or base lock don't work. They can also be a problem when it is windy, as the wind can bend the arms/fixings (apparently) as the doors act like giant sails.
    Mmmh…. Fair point…

Need to think this one through!

I've just had a Garolla ( https://garolla.co.uk/) door fitted to replace a very frail Gliderol door. It's really tidy, insulated, available in numerous colours and widths. I think for £895 all in it was good value when compared to other companies offering very similar products.

Apparently Garador are owned by Horman and can offer a better priced but still quality alternative with a more limited range.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Hi OP, I see you are in Cheshire as am I.

I can fully recommend Teckentrup in Warrington, I purchased an insulated sectional garage door from there 10 years ago and it has been perfect. Mine is electric but I assume they do manual door also?
    Morning, thanks for this i will check them out, sure ive come across them in my search.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Hormann excellent doors had a double sectional at the last property and very happy now have a very expensive Garador wood one fitted by the developers at our current property and whilst it’s ok it weighs a ton ( had it electrified as the wife could not lift it) IMO it’s not in the same league as a sectional or a simple roller door.
    think is becoming clear from this thread that Hormann is the way to go. the existing is an up and over old school garador, must be 30-40 years old at a guess and well and truly goosed. im thinking sectional panels for a more modern look, will also replace the front door at the same time, maybe another post on front doors is on the way!

thanks for all your input guys very very much appreciated.

Yep I've had a Hormann up and over wooden sectioned electric garage door as well in the past, very nice quality and they last for years

like this

Last edited by Vanguard; 14th April 2021 at 16:21.

Thanks.. this thread has started me looking as we could do with a new garage and front door….

As usual so much choice … trying to find prices for Hormann is not easy especially for the front doors….I can see this becoming expensive 😀

I have noticed that letterboxes are no longer in vogue…..

cheers

matt

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I recently ordered a new concrete sectional garage, and when I asked about which door I should get they suggested Hormann. I opted for one with a 4 point locking system, I havent got it yet but all reviews are positive so I dont envisage any issues.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I recently ordered a new concrete sectional garage, and when I asked about which door I should get they suggested Hormann. I opted for one with a 4 point locking system, I havent got it yet but all reviews are positive so I dont envisage any issues.

Stuart

Hi Stuart, which company did you use? also what was the pricing like? 4 point locking sounds perfect also cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Yep I've had a Hormann up and over wooden sectioned electric garage door as well in the past, very nice quality and they last for years

like this

very nice indeed, like that a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Thanks.. this thread has started me looking as we could do with a new garage and front door….

As usual so much choice … trying to find prices for Hormann is not easy especially for the front doors….I can see this becoming expensive 

I have noticed that letterboxes are no longer in vogue…..

cheers

matt
    agreed. we also need the from door option...

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

New Garage Door, Talk to me

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Hi Stuart, which company did you use? also what was the pricing like? 4 point locking sounds perfect also cheers

- - - Updated - - -

very nice indeed, like that a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

agreed. we also need the from door option...
    I am using a company called Nucrete. Their pricing was very competitive and I looked at a few. Mine came in at £2519 for a 16’foot3 by 9’foot5 with upvc fascias, and a steel side access door. Hope this helps

Stuart

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just bumping this to see if there is any updated info out there? particularly in Sufolk coastal area.

i have had prices from rolling door concepts ( rdcuk.com ) and Garolla, they come out the same and both have fairly high overall positive reviews on trustpilot but RDC have a few recent negatives that is concerning.i am going to get quotes from horman etc but i am expecting them to be double the price of garolla

---------------

My brother fits garage doors for a living ~~
    He is Suffolk based
    i am also in suffolk, if you have any contact details for him or who he installs for then drop me a PM, thanks.

---------------

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I've just had a couple of Hormann Rollmatics fitted. They are excellent. The garage is significantly warmer than it was with the old doors, and definitely more secure.
    just wondering if you could say what they cost and if you are still happy?

---------------

Quote Originally Posted by JuanKing View Post
    I've just had a Garolla ( https://garolla.co.uk/) door fitted to replace a very frail Gliderol door. It's really tidy, insulated, available in numerous colours and widths. I think for £895 all in it was good value when compared to other companies offering very similar products.
    are you still happy with this, it would be really handy to know, thanks.

Craftsman
    Op .. if you think you need 3 remotes buy 10 … ! And hide the other 7