closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally a new Patek

Craftsman

Finally a new Patek

Finally, instead of tired rehashes, Patek launches an actual new watch. And what a watch it is. Worth waiting for.....

https://monochrome-watches.com/patek...oducing-price/

That movement is a bit special!

Master
    Not feeling the in-line perpetual pictured. But the new hobnail Calatrava 6119R, omg, stunning!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Not feeling the in-line perpetual pictured. But the new hobnail Calatrava 6119R, omg, stunning!

Love that!

The black dial white gold version is my pick:

80D2E554-5623-4432-A440-6AF54A412846 by Berty234, on Flickr
    Last edited by Berty234; 12th April 2021 at 15:12.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Finally, instead of tired rehashes,
    Bit harsh? The new inline perpetual looks great. Sadly, beyond my budget. I need to head over to https://www.patek.com

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Love that!

80D2E554-5623-4432-A440-6AF54A412846 by Berty234, on Flickr
    Oh my, that’s one half of the dream watch collection

Oh my, what a beauty. I love how they've even specified that the Alligator skin has square scales. Impressive and actually, £22,700 is pretty decent for what you're getting.

The black dial white gold version is my pick

Blog Entries
    I see they're using a mini-rotor as Buren used to do back in the 60s. Has this been used by anyone else in the meantime, excepting Hamilton from their previous association with Buren?

Master
    Blog Entries

Me too - I would love one of those. The perpetual calendar is very impressive - though at that price, it should be!

My favourite is still the 5167a. If anyone (Eddie) made a homage to that it would be a best seller I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    I see they're using a mini-rotor as Buren used to do back in the 60s. Has this been used by anyone else in the meantime, excepting Hamilton from their previous association with Buren?
    A few here, but I'm sure there are more:

https://www.watchreviewblog.com/best...-micro-rotors/
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    A few here, but I'm sure there are more:

https://www.watchreviewblog.com/best...-micro-rotors/
    Thank you for that. Very interesting!

New movement in the calatravas, finally, looks very good but unfortunately it looks like the calatrava line will grow to 39mm. Imo too large for a classic dress watch.

Master
    Oh my, that brushed black dial... how I’d like to see that on a watch I could actually afford!

I’m surprised at how much I like these releases. The 5236p is out of my reach but I’ll definitely be trying something of comparable dimensions to the 6119g to see if the size works for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    New movement in the calatravas, finally, looks very good but unfortunately it looks like the calatrava line will grow to 39mm. Imo too large for a classic dress watch.
    I see they've introduced a stop-seconds!

https://static.patek.com/videos/laun...s_08042021.mp4
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 12th April 2021 at 17:48.

I appreciate the craftsmanship but don’t love the look.

Journeyman
    Looks very bland. Expect better from Patek.

The black dial version will be my choice as soon as my long overdue lottery win comes in.

Craftsman
    I was so disappointed when the 5196 was launched with a snap-on case back, so to see a sapphire case back feels like it's about time. I'd agree that they're possibly a couple of mil too big, but the overall look works for me (If only I could afford one).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    I was so disappointed when the 5196 was launched with a snap-on case back, so to see a sapphire case back feels like it's about time. I'd agree that they're possibly a couple of mil too big, but the overall look works for me (If only I could afford one).
    Solid case back is more traditional and it doesn’t get much more heritage than the 5196 Calatrava, being the direct descendant of the original model 96 Calatrava from the 1930s. The movement in the 5196 is also relatively small hence that is another reason for the solid case back. On plus side, you get another hefty piece of gold on the back instead of sapphire crystal. As an owner of the 5196, the 37mm wears quite big already like a 39mm, given its long elegant lugs and as it is mostly dial. I think the new hobnail Calatrava is beautiful and I think 39mm will be ok for this one, Patek rarely gets proportions wrong and it looks like the added diameter is part of the hobnail bezel rather than the dial. Overall, these are much more interesting releases in my mind than the green dial 5711 etc from last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Finally, instead of tired rehashes, Patek launches an actual new watch. And what a watch it is. Worth waiting for.....

https://monochrome-watches.com/patek...oducing-price/
    Love everything about that - details like the microrotor mech and the sapphire disk for the moonphase really float my boat. The day/night indicator seems a mite gratuitous in a non-GMT watch, but at least the calendar isn't in US format! Shame about the price, but then it'd have been beyond me at a tenth of that!

Grand Master
    Whilst I will not deny the quality of a Patek, for me, I've not seen one that appeals .. just don't like 'em!
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Bulgari octo finissimo?

That Perpetual Calendar is georgeous and the hobnail bezel on the Calatrava is a welcome return.

Journeyman

Finally a new Patek

When I saw the new 6119 I thought they’’’’’d announced the perfect watch for me. I’’’’’ve been looking at their 5196 and the 5227 for some time but the former is too plain and the later very expensive (relatively). I’d been keeping an eye on the Vacheron line as well, I really liked the 56 range but the simple reference wasn’t giving me the calibre confidence of a pure manufacture produced movement. There aren’t many classic gent watches to chose from when you look into it because everything is Steel and Sports, the SUVs of the watch world?

The new Calatrava seems to have hit the target - the traditional hobnail bezel and a new movement that is designed for the newer, slightly larger model. I just hope it’s not too big for a dress watch.

Anyway, I spoke to a local AD and put my ‘note of interest’ in for the 6119. Not sure what happens next but I’ve started the slow plunge into buying my first PP i reckon. Although both metals are nice I’m veering towards the rose gold one.

Butterflies in my tummy, I must admit.
    Last edited by slever; 14th April 2021 at 01:51.

Got to admit I like the look and would wear it. Sadly that will not happen, at that price point for me.
    What is the tiny 1,2,3,4 dial bottom right?
    I first thought week 3. But we get some 5 week months.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Got to admit I like the look and would wear it. Sadly that will not happen, at that price point for me.
    What is the tiny 1,2,3,4 dial bottom right?
    I first thought week 3. But we get some 5 week months.

Leap year indicator.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by slever View Post
    When I saw the new 6119 I thought they’’’’’d announced the perfect watch for me. I’’’’’ve been looking at their 5196 and the 5227 for some time but the former is too plain and the later very expensive (relatively). I’d been keeping an eye on the Vacheron line as well, I really liked the 56 range but the simple reference wasn’t giving me the calibre confidence of a pure manufacture produced movement. There aren’t many classic gent watches to chose from when you look into it because everything is Steel and Sports, the SUVs of the watch world?

The new Calatrava seems to have hit the target - the traditional hobnail bezel and a new movement that is designed for the newer, slightly larger model. I just hope it’s not too big for a dress watch.

Anyway, I spoke to a local AD and put my ‘note of interest’ in for the 6119. Not sure what happens next but I’ve started the slow plunge into buying my first PP i reckon. Although both metals are nice I’m veering towards the rose gold one.

Butterflies in my tummy, I must admit.

Were you looking at the VC 56 Date only? The DayDate and Complete Calendar have the in-house caliber and Geneva Seal approved.

I do quite like the new Calatrava although not a big fan of the hobnail design, it looks a bit flashy but I do welcome the open case back. I'll need to try one on if it's available to see (everything seemed to be on waiting lists these days). I'm unsure about 39mm for a dressy watch, it does sound a bit big but I guess a middle ground between Lange's Saxonia and VC's Patrimony.
    TBH for the same money or less, I'd look at VC Traditionnelle too.

Journeyman

Finally a new Patek

Yes I was looking at the date only Vacheron, the others are a lot more expensive and I’m not particularly in need of the calendar complications. the base 56 is a lovely design and I tried one on and was really tempted. I’d expect the VCs to be a better bet used.

Master

Lovely. If all these complications could be had in a reasonably priced, good looking sports watch*... I love the way the day/date/month is displayed. Why haven't other manufacturers done this more widely, sooner?

* cased in a 2000's Breitling professional style case, with a chrono function & GMT. OK, not remotely possible I am sure, but a nice thought! Oh, and chuck a yellow dial on it too :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Leap year indicator.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.
    Thanks yep makes sense now you say that !

Thanks yep makes sense now you say that !
    You always find them on mechanical perpetual calendar.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You always find them on mechanical perpetual calendar.
    First time I’ve ever noticed. But the bare movement pictures made it jump out to me. Thanks for the information.

Master

Finally a new Patek

Yes I was looking at the date only Vacheron, the others are a lot more expensive and I’m not particularly in need of the calendar complications. the base 56 is a lovely design and I tried one on and was really tempted. I’d expect the VCs to be a better bet used.
    I do like the look of the most simple time and date 56 steel but though the price appears good value, it uses the Cartier movement and without Geneva seal that VC normally has, one too many compromise for me even if it the price is compelling, for a VC

Not sure if anyone else noticed, I wonder why is the PP Seal and logo on the reverse side upside down? Surely it would make more sense if it's upright when you flip the watch over.

First time I’ve ever noticed. But the bare movement pictures made it jump out to me. Thanks for the information.

Same here to be honest, you learn a lot on here.

I really like the calatravas. The black is very cool but I''m strangely drawn to the gold, just looks right.

Journeyman

Finally a new Patek

I do like the look of the most simple time and date 56 steel but though the price appears good value, it uses the Cartier movement and without Geneva seal that VC normally has, one too many compromise for me even if it the price is compelling, for a VC
    Exactly what I thought. I would pay the extra if it had a Geneva Seal calibre. If that doesn’t bother you the steel model is a great choice, almost a no-brainer; a very attractive proposition.
    Last edited by slever; 15th April 2021 at 11:48.

Master
    Exactly what I thought. I would pay the extra if it had a Geneva Seal calibre. If that doesn’t bother you the steel model is a great choice, almost a no-brainer; a very attractive proposition.
    Agree, if they had used an in-house with Geneva Seal, add on £2k to £13k and it would still be better value. £10.9k for this one new is ok, it’s probably better watch than the JLC master control date, but that one is much cheaper and in-house (though I prefer the look of the 56). Also agree with your other posts, steel date 56 pre owned could be a great buy.

Craftsman

Finally a new Patek

Quote Originally Posted by Kelv_w View Post
    Not sure if anyone else noticed, I wonder why is the PP Seal and logo on the reverse side upside down? Surely it would make more sense if it's upright when you flip the watch over.

It's not if you are right handed.
    The crown remains on the right when you flip it over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, if they had used an in-house with Geneva Seal, add on £2k to £13k and it would still be better value. £10.9k for this one new is ok, it’s probably better watch than the JLC master control date, but that one is much cheaper and in-house (though I prefer the look of the 56). Also agree with your other posts, steel date 56 pre owned could be a great buy.
    Interesting side thread in the VC’s. The patrimony traditionelle is discontinued it seems, the 40mm Patrimony has too much empty dial for me, the 56 looks great but is very pricey in gold; it’s pushing me more to a Lange Saxonia as a genuine alternative to a plain 5196. This new Patek release is interesting but I’m not not a fan of hobnail dials

Quote Originally Posted by Kelv_w View Post

Wow this watch is magnificent. Apologies I didnt get the price but I assume around £20k?

Have they ended the 5146J/G/R?

Journeyman

Finally a new Patek

I noticed the upside down writing as as well. The UK retail is £22,7770 for both the white gold and rose gold models. There isn’t a yellow gold one.
    Last edited by slever; 15th April 2021 at 22:54.

I noticed the upside down writing as as well. The UK retail is £22,7770 for both the white gold and rose gold models. There isn’t a yellow gold.
    Ah ok thanks. Hmmm. A lot of money of course but could have been more

Journeyman

Finally a new Patek

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Interesting side thread in the VC’s. The patrimony traditionelle is discontinued it seems, the 40mm Patrimony has too much empty dial for me, the 56 looks great but is very pricey in gold; it’s pushing me more to a Lange Saxonia as a genuine alternative to a plain 5196. This new Patek release is interesting but I’m not not a fan of hobnail dials
    Same here yet again. I tried on a Patrimony and it was too big for me. Thought the same, I wouldn’t pay the extra for the gold fifty-six base model although it looks fantastic - without a manufacture movement it’s too costly. I went on to look at the Lange Saxonia and big date in gold. I tried on a rose gold big date and if my wife wasn’t with me I’d l have bought it (I went in for a demagnetisation)!. The black with gold details on the wrist was stunning. You have to try these things on; you know in about three seconds if it’s ‘you’ or not. I really appreciate the Bulgaria Octofinisimo technically but I tried one in steel and in gold and it looked hideous on me. My wife reacted the same straight away. Such a shame.

So it’s down to the Patek Phillipe 6119 and the Lange. The fact that the new Calatrava is from an independent company and not one of the conglomerates is important to me as well. Swung it for the PP - its ’only taken three years to decide.

The thrill of the chase and choice narrowing is part of the enjoyment, and it’s extra special when you have to save hard for years and think long and hard about where to place your order, without a premier league footballer’s income it makes you take your time.
    Last edited by slever; 15th April 2021 at 22:28.

Journeyman
    Hang on a minute, the movement writing is only upside down if you turn it over left to right. Turn it over top to bottom and its the right way up. It depends if you’re a portrait or landscape sort of person. Am I correct?

Craftsman
    Hang on a minute, the movement writing is only upside down if you turn it over left to right. Turn it over top to bottom and its the right way up. It depends if you’re a portrait or landscape sort of person. Am I correct?
    Yes

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    The 82172 @ 38mm
    &
    The 43075 @41mm

Are still in the collection.

The Traditionelle & Historiques ranges sit hidden away in the world of VC.

The 56 is an auto calibre, forget about that range.

Is anyone getting one of these? I'm really tempted with the WG Calatrava, I hope there are no games at the AD/Boutique.