closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TZ Gym Rat Thread

Grand Master
    Struggling to get the enthusiasm to return to the gym, I need to bite the bullet and get back to it. Had my second covid jab a couple of weeks ago so I can’t use the risk of infection as an excuse! After over 7 months away it’ll be hard to get back into it, that’s putting it mildly.

Getting older doesn’t help, can’t change that, I guess it beats the alternative.

Just take it easy and ease back into it.

I’ve had too many set backs from trying to do too much too soon. Much strength is still high, but my body just doesn’t seem to like me using it too quickly after a lay off.

About 3 weeks back in here, and training is going well - diet needs a tweak or two, as I’ve maybe been enjoy the restaurants and cafés being open a little too much :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Back to the home gym over the last two weeks or so, lost a fair chunk of my peak performance, my own fault entirely.

I used to to the stronglifts 5x5 program but didn't like the back squat at all, so I've modified it slightly. I figured I'd stick to it for longer if I did the things I enjoyed (relatively).

Latest stats:

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

What do you do for triceps or do you do as a secondary from ohp and bench?is this routine every workout? Not done full body workout for years have a reasonable home gym interested to know how you get on

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    What do you do for triceps or do you do as a secondary from ohp and bench?is this routine every workout? Not done full body workout for years have a reasonable home gym interested to know how you get on
    what you see on the board is what i do, it is normally supplemented with a walk or jog on the days im not lifting, nothing more. I do this 3x per week and will progressively add weight till i fail.

i only have a squat rack and barbell hence why most of the moves are compound. my view is its better to do something than nothing, so if i do the exercises i enjoy ill stick to it for longer.

close grip bench press is a great triceps exercise (just touch the tips of your thumbs and grab the bar)

Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    Opinions vary but I've seen some experts say isolation exercises are pretty much a waste of time. My own view is they're good to maintain interest and to work around injuries, but it's the compound movements that do most of the work.

Master
    Back in the day my excecises were based on hypertrophy and size, now its based on strength. for me personally core lifts tend to ease back pain, dont know if its scientifically linked but it works for me.

While compound movements will always be more efficient at increasing strength/hypertrophy, there is definitely a place for isolation movements and personally I think they should be incorporated into workouts.

For example (let's take the discussion about triceps) - it's beneficial to thoroughly warm up the elbow joint and triceps with light cable pushdowns, rope extensions, etc before hitting lying tricep extensions/ french press which can easily cause tendon issues.

Want to pre-exhaust the muscle? Do isloations first.

Isolation exercises (when done correctly with a sensible weight) will also mean better mind-muscle connection and a better negative phase.

At the very least they're great for pumping the blood into the muscle and hopefully preventing injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Opinions vary but I've seen some experts say isolation exercises are pretty much a waste of time. My own view is they're good to maintain interest and to work around injuries, but it's the compound movements that do most of the work.

I think this is too close - it puts a lot of stress on the elbows (it might work for you - I'm not saying you cannot do it)

But I would take a grip about 12 inches wide and make sure the elbows are tucked in instead of flaring out. You will also be able to lift a lot heavier. Or use an E-Z bar which is easier on the wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    close grip bench press is a great triceps exercise (just touch the tips of your thumbs and grab the bar)

This is me getting back into it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk