closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JLC Polaris Bracelet Adjustment

JLC Polaris Bracelet Adjustment

Evening all,

I’ve been meaning to introduce myself (as having been a lurker not poster for a while!) but I knew that I was going to be making some changes to my small collection so thought I’d wait until that had happened.

So, basically I’m in the middle of selling an ultra-thin JLC to make room for a Polaris instead. The logic being that I’d get much more daily use from the latter.

The thing is I’d appreciate some advice on sizing the bracelet when it arrives. I bought it from Watches World but they don’t resize or adjust. I don’t have a JLC AD near me and don’t trust the local jeweller after he scratched my speedmaster case (I assume in some form of clamp).

Is this something that I can do myself? Does anyone know what type of pins the bracelet uses and what I would need? I’m quite used to changing straps etc but not bracelet links.

Many thanks

(Hopefully I’ve attached an image of the watch in question when I tried one on previously. Although I’ve gone for the blue face!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome! I believe JLC use screw link bracelets (rather than pin and sleeve) so you’ll need the correct sized screwdriver to remove some links. You can buy sets of jewlers screwdrivers online for about £20 or less. Amazon or eBay. It’s worth getting half decent brands not ultra cheep ones which will break.

I bet there are YouTube videos online. Take your time and use the size that is correct - too small will strip the head - use the one that just fits.

Hope that helps?

if I’m wrong with the type of attachment - do say - as you need different tools for collar and pin fixtures

Thanks Martyn,

That’s much appreciated and is really helpful. I’ll have a look when it arrives (hopefully today!). Not sure I’m brave enough to have a go at screw links though. Aagh.

Thinking back to my speedie, I bought a decent set of screwdrivers then actually, but couldn’t get one or two screws to budge and took it to the jeweller before I slipped or stripped the head, as you said. That was my fear then too.

I’ll have a tentative go but I might need to cast my net wider looking for a competent watchmaker who’ll be willing to work on JLC. YouTube is a good idea though. I didn’t think of that!

Thanks again. Right, I’m off to wait by the door for that postie!......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Don’t use crappy Chinese tools from Amazon or Ebay because you’’’re much more likely to damage screws. Why spend all that money on a lovely watch and risk damaging it. You’’’ll need the tools again in future anyway - trust me you will - so buy good ones.

You might find the screws have thread-lock applied to them - AP brackets certainly have. Check first how to release the thread lock and reapply it when re-assembling.

I love JLCs watches so enjoy it when it arrives
    Last edited by slever; 12th April 2021 at 10:32.

Thanks for the advice.

I’m pleased to say that it is actually simple pins and I have a basic pin pusher and rubber pin hammer and it all worked out perfectly! Luckily everyone in the house was out so I was able to concentrate on it, take my time and be very careful.

Bracelet adjusted and no damage to the watch! Phew!

I’’’m a happy boy!
    Last edited by the_gazelle; 12th April 2021 at 15:11.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gazelle View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I’m pleased to say that it is actually simple pins and I have a basic pin pusher and rubber pin hammer and it all worked out perfectly! Luckily everyone in the house was out so I was able to concentrate on it, take my time and be very careful.

Bracelet adjusted and no damage to the watch! Phew!

I’’’m a happy boy!
    That looks lovely. Good catch. Simple symmetry and from a respected watchmaker. I like that. Oh - it fits your wrist very well too after your successful adjustment.

Journeyman

Glad is worked out well. That’s a serious looker that is; JLC make some of the best watches out there. Pips any Rolex in a game of Watch Top Trumps; far better value for money; a notch above. Really nice; congratulations.

Thanks very much slever,

I appreciate the welcome and the support!

I’m not going to pretend it wasn’t nerve wracking to work on a brand new (expensive) lovely watch, but I’m glad it went well as now I don’t have to wait for a special trip into London just to be able to wear it.

And I’m really enjoying staring at that dial! It’s a lovely watch and everything that I hoped it would be. It wears really well.

I had considered the recent Polaris Mariner Date too but after waiting since it was announced last year it seemed to be going for about the twice the price of this one and I couldn’t justify that.

I’m thinking of getting a nice JLC leather strap and/or rubber with deployant for it also for that multi-use look. Not cheap though! That might have to wait a while.

Beautiful watch and one I have lusted after for a while, enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by the_gazelle View Post
    Thanks very much slever,

I appreciate the welcome and the support!

I’m not going to pretend it wasn’t nerve wracking to work on a brand new (expensive) lovely watch, but I’m glad it went well as now I don’t have to wait for a special trip into London just to be able to wear it.

And I’m really enjoying staring at that dial! It’s a lovely watch and everything that I hoped it would be. It wears really well.

I had considered the recent Polaris Mariner Date too but after waiting since it was announced last year it seemed to be going for about the twice the price of this one and I couldn’t justify that.

I’m thinking of getting a nice JLC leather strap and/or rubber with deployant for it also for that multi-use look. Not cheap though! That might have to wait a while.
    All you need now is one of their Atmos clocks. Unique and beautiful they are. Keep damned good time as well. Their customer service is excellent so they’ll help you look after it in the years ahead.

Here is my Reverso they recently serviced at the factory.
    Last edited by slever; 15th April 2021 at 23:18.

Journeyman

No one else makes anything comparable. Stick it in the hallway and forget about it. I only adjust it a few tine a year. Its ace!
    Last edited by slever; 15th April 2021 at 23:21.

Man you’re dangerous to be around! That is stunning!

I do admire some of the things that JLC do. I can’t think of another mainstream watchmaker that are still doing clocks? And their almost minimalist style is something worth appreciating.

Amazing concept too really. “I know, we’ll just use the air around us to power the thing!”