closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky Q issues

Sky Q issues

Recently got Sky Q box installed and a mini box for a second room. Have got a couple of recurring issues - wondered if anyone has also had them and has a solution?

Firstly we get sudden periodic connection issues - where it says we are not connected to the network, despite all other devices in the house working fine, so I don’t think it’s an internet or router issue. The second thing is when you wake in the morning the box seems to have switched off / reset and we have to reconnect before we can watch anything which is a bit of a faff. Anyone had these issues and got a solution?

There was a thread on this a while ago. Depends on if you use WiFi or your main box is hardwired. Or just call sky out they will fix it. It’s basically that the sky box tries to join your normal WiFi but can’t find you main box.

Try turning off Eco mode. We found that if we woke up early (say 5.30am) and put the mini box on, it had lost its connection but turning it on at 7.00am it worked without issue. After some trial and error, Mrs Sish found that turning off Eco mode fixed it.

I couldn't find a way of controlling what constituted Eco hours.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    There was a thread on this a while ago. Depends on if you use WiFi or your main box is hardwired. Or just call sky out they will fix it. It’s basically that the sky box tries to join your normal WiFi but can’t find you main box.
    It’s using wifi. It’s really annoying when it just drops connection mid program

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We have Sky Q with mini box and both are always dropping connection or super slow, but all other devices are fine.

I talked to them before and they tried to blame WiFi (it was at the time with there internet and box) and said talk to provider, so I said funnily enough it’s your. There response was oh internet is working fine,

the issue must be interference from router to main sky box, not our problem etc

Still not resolved but cba to do anything in typical fashion

Had Sky Q for about a year now alongside BT broadband - so the sky Q has its own 5GHz WiFi mesh in parallel with the home WiFi.

Suffered this problem a lot so tried changing to a powerline network for the minis rather than WiFi and that didn't improve things much.

Then went back to WiFi and tried changing the 5GHz frequency band in the installer menu and that, whilst not 100%, is better.

That we still had the problem wired suggests that there's as much of a server issue on the Q box as a network issue

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Had Sky Q for about a year now alongside BT broadband - so the sky Q has its own 5GHz WiFi mesh in parallel with the home WiFi.

Suffered this problem a lot so tried changing to a powerline network for the minis rather than WiFi and that didn't improve things much.

Then went back to WiFi and tried changing the 5GHz frequency band in the installer menu and that, whilst not 100%, is better.

That we still had the problem wired suggests that there's as much of a server issue on the Q box as a network issue
    Interesting - what did you change the 5GHz to?

Since I’ve had a mesh fitted the connection in the house has been great however over the last few weeks my son has been cussing the TV as it was dropping out and freezing whilst he was watching some football matches . The Mini HD box is connected directly to the Q box on the local network and it suggested to reboot the Q box, this fixed it instantly and has been fine ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Since I’ve had a mesh fitted the connection in the house has been great however over the last few weeks my son has been cussing the TV as it was dropping out and freezing whilst he was watching some football matches . The Mini HD box is connected directly to the Q box on the local network and it suggested to reboot the Q box, this fixed it instantly and has been fine ever since.
    At the risk of being a simpleton - is reboot just switching off at the wall and back on again ?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    That was me...it kept dropping the internet connection for no apparent reason.

I updated the main box with the latest software and then did the same with the mini box upstairs. This seems to have cured the issue (fingers crossed/touch wood)

Master
    Mine used to do this until I changed a setting withing the Sky Q menu.....can't blooming remember what I changed but totally fixed it. Found it after having to Google it. I'll have another look and see if I can find what I did..........not much help I know😳

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    At the risk of being a simpleton - is reboot just switching off at the wall and back on again ?
    Thats all I did yes

Recently got Sky Q box installed and a mini box for a second room. Have got a couple of recurring issues - wondered if anyone has also had them and has a solution?

Firstly we get sudden periodic connection issues - where it says we are not connected to the network, despite all other devices in the house working fine, so I don’t think it’s an internet or router issue. The second thing is when you wake in the morning the box seems to have switched off / reset and we have to reconnect before we can watch anything which is a bit of a faff. Anyone had these issues and got a solution?
    Welcome to SkyQ, it’s crap, saying it can’t find the box or freezing is completely normal, if you decide it’s faulty and phone Sky be ready for a long wait and some idiot then telling you there is nothing wrong with it. When it works well it’s great, but it never works well for long, oh and when they commissioned ours they gave up and hard wired all the boxes.

Interesting - what did you change the 5GHz to?
    Default is 80MHz Ch 36, with options of 40MHz Ch 36 or 40MHz Ch 44.

Currently on 40MHz Ch 44, with 2.5GHz turned off

Master
    Have it all the time but our internet is absolutely terrible! Improved by hardwiring main box to the router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Have it all the time but our internet is absolutely terrible! Improved by hardwiring main box to the router.

Router upstairs box downstairs so I doubt I’d resort to that

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Mine used to do this until I changed a setting withing the Sky Q menu.....can't blooming remember what I changed but totally fixed it. Found it after having to Google it. I'll have another look and see if I can find what I did..........not much help I know😳
    That would be great

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Welcome to SkyQ, it’s crap, saying it can’t find the box or freezing is completely normal, if you decide it’s faulty and phone Sky be ready for a long wait and some idiot then telling you there is nothing wrong with it. When it works well it’s great, but it never works well for long, oh and when they commissioned ours they gave up and hard wired all the boxes.
    Here it all the time working for an ISP

Our internet keeps dropping

No.... you move just had sky q and it’s shit

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Here it all the time working for an ISP

Our internet keeps dropping

No.... you move just had sky q and it’s shit

I’m sure this means something but I have no idea what.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I’m sure this means something but I have no idea what.
    Two customers this morning

Both calling with “issues” with their internet

Both have recently had sky q installed
    It’s no coincidence

All broadband diagnostics completed with no faults
    All parties advised to Ethernet main boxes of poss s d call sky if not happy with their set ups

How does Sky Q work if you introduce your own mesh routers? Does the additional Sky mini box need to be on a special Sky network or can it just join the other devices on the New mesh network?

Think it’s on the same one

Technically it’s possible for SkyQ and mini boxes to join a mesh WiFi, or any non-Sky WiFi for that matter. When you reset network settings it appears as an option alongside wired Ethernet and WPS setup.

In practice it’s a nightmare trying to get it working and keep it working. Wired is perfectly decent though if you have mesh WiFi with Ethernet sockets, Powerline, or Ethernet cabling through the house.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Technically it’s possible for SkyQ and mini boxes to join a mesh WiFi, or any non-Sky WiFi for that matter. When you reset network settings it appears as an option alongside wired Ethernet and WPS setup.

In practice it’s a nightmare trying to get it working and keep it working. Wired is perfectly decent though if you have mesh WiFi with Ethernet sockets, Powerline, or Ethernet cabling through the house.
    Thanks, I have to do it for my aunt at some point as she's in a 3k sq ft house and the WiFi signal is pants.

It would normally be an easy job but I know the Sky box will be the thing to turn it into an all-day nightmare.

Hoping I can just plug their additional mini box in using ethernet from one of the mesh access points but I saw some people online keeping their existing sky network running just for the mini box and running a mesh alongside. Sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

We have a decent sized house with solid walls - main box and two mini boxes.

On WiFi they were rubbish, so I hard wired them, and haven’t had a drop out since. The main box occasionally needs rebooting to see the internet but that’s a different issue.

Sky devices will communicate on their own mesh network, independent of (but using the same channels as) your own WiFi. Sky will provide booster boxes for WiFi, but these seem to cause as many issues as they fix.

My main complaint is that sky won’t allow us plebs to see what each of their boxes is actually connecting to on WiFi, despite the fact that some of us were working in networking before most of their support people were a glint in the milkman’s eye.

Tbh, I’ve been so bored with their support script-readers on occasion that I’ve started discussions about packet shaping and the various benefits of CSMA/CD over token passing. It’s never helpful, tends to end the call fairly quickly and has the rest of Family Browne rolling their eyes in anticipation of another network support rant.

Don’t even get me started on BT...

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks, I have to do it for my aunt at some point as she's in a 3k sq ft house and the WiFi signal is pants.

It would normally be an easy job but I know the Sky box will be the thing to turn it into an all-day nightmare.

Hoping I can just plug their additional mini box in using ethernet from one of the mesh access points but I saw some people online keeping their existing sky network running just for the mini box and running a mesh alongside. Sounds like a headache waiting to happen.
    This is what I had to do with one of my Sky Q Mini's. Ethernet into a BT (mesh extender) access point. It improved things to a point - previous wi-fi connection dropping and reconnecting on a very regular basis in spite of Sky fitting an extender of their own next to the BT Router which is maybe 6 Mtrs or so from the Sky Q Mini. Now, with the ethernet connection to the BT extender, the dropouts have all but stopped, to be replaced after many hours of viewing by the occasional "lost connection to your Sky main box......." type message, (usually at an important part of the program were watching), and the only solution is to power the Sky Q Mini off using the controller and back on again, TWICE!

Strangely, our other Sky Q Mini, which is connected wirelessly, works faultlessly even though it's further from both the BT and Sky extenders! We've swapped the two Mini's round and the problem stays with the location, not the box - go figure!

Not really impressed with Sky Q.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Sky Q issues

Sky helpline suggests WiFi might be struggling because my box is sitting on a glass shelf tv cabinet
    And now the main box sky menus just freeze all the time - so can’t use control to do anything. What a piece of crap. Seriously not fit for purpose

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Strangely, our other Sky Q Mini, which is connected wirelessly, works faultlessly even though it's further from both the BT and Sky extenders! We've swapped the two Mini's round and the problem stays with the location, not the box - go figure!
    That all sounds like such a headache, especially power cycling the box twice. I'd be convinced it's a bad unit and be asking for a swap.

It doesn't matter how much money you spend on WiFi or what type of network you have, nothing beats a £2 ethernet wire plugged in.

Master
    My sky q has not been connecting to my WiFi for several days. This thread is making me think the problem is not local.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    My sky q has not been connecting to my WiFi for several days. This thread is making me think the problem is not local.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Google search sky Q connection or WiFi and there are forums (fora?) full of people with similar issues. Unfortunately no definitive answers or one solution for all ?

That all sounds like such a headache, especially power cycling the box twice. I'd be convinced it's a bad unit and be asking for a swap.

It doesn't matter how much money you spend on WiFi or what type of network you have, nothing beats a £2 ethernet wire plugged in.
    Not a bad unit, it's in our conservatory and I swapped it round with the one in the other room that works faultlessly and the problem remains in the conservatory whilst the ex-conservatory one now works faultlessly in the other room! The power cycling is a pain, but as it is done from the Sky controller it only takes about 30 seconds or so. I'm going to turn the sky extender off later to see if that makes a difference.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Totally agree, we are on our 3rd SkyQ main box, as the others kept freezing, that just got worse requiring several re-boots a day. Picture would freeze then the colours would go all weird and or the fan would be full on and the box become unresponsive.

The current one has frozen a couple of times in the two weeks we have had it.(We had high hopes for this one, as the mains lead connects directly to the unit and looks to be a newer model. The previous two had external “brick” power supplies).

Both our Mini boxes have been replaced too, after they stopped responding to their remote controls.

There are loads of threads about freezing boxes on the Sky forums :(

We don’t have network issues as they all connect through our Deco WiFi mesh and each deco is connected to a Homeplug (belts and braces)

Just to add that there is a webpage where you can book a new box and the DPD courier gives you the box and takes the old one away. No farting around on the phone :)

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sk...-help-articles
    Last edited by odyseus10; 14th April 2021 at 17:50.

The stopping responding to the remote control happens if you reset the box you need to pair them again.

Craftsman
    I've had a Sky Q box for maybe 18 months to couple of years. I recently connected a Sonos Beam for the sound. Shortly afterwards the sound bar developed a really stuttering sound which got unusable after a couple of days. I was just about to box it up and return it to Sonos when my TV picture became 'blocky' and intermittent.

After a bit of research I suspected a faulty Q Box. Filled in the online form at 9pm and by 7.30am the following day had a new one delivered. Up and running within half an hour. No problems thus far...................Good service from Sky with a follow up call as well but then I guess they want to retain customers with an easy fix?

How does Sky Q work if you introduce your own mesh routers? Does the additional Sky mini box need to be on a special Sky network or can it just join the other devices on the New mesh network?
    The SkyQ box provides its own WiFi network in parallel to anything else you might have in the home. We found that although the Sky mini boxes were connected to the SkyQ box WiFi, they kept connecting to our home Mesh WiFi network, the system deciding it had a better signal, so we configured the SkyQ and mini boxes to connect to the home WiFi mesh.

The stopping responding to the remote control happens if you reset the box you need to pair them again.
    No the boxes had gone deaf. You could turn it on or off front the front button and that’s all, as you could not navigate through any of the menu’s. We could still change the volume on the TV, so we knew the remotes were working. The first failure was confirmed by the visiting Engineer and the second one we swapped using the online form.

I’m not sure how you could pair them if they don’t work from restart. Normally, I only have to “pair” the remotes to select the make of the TV to control the TV volume and or Soundbar. I also had to do this to get the voice control search function button to work.

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    The SkyQ box provides its own WiFi network in parallel to anything else you might have in the home. We found that although the Sky mini boxes were connected to the SkyQ box WiFi, they kept connecting to our home Mesh WiFi network, the system deciding it had a better signal, so we configured the SkyQ and mini boxes to connect to the home WiFi mesh.
    Perfect, thank you

The answer is go back to the old style sky plus box
    Avail for less than £20 on various sites online eBay etc
    My sister has Q but only the Main box abd it’s hard wired so no issues but she still hears the issues from her friends all the time who have extra boxes