closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replicating a cheap printed clock dial?

Replicating a cheap printed clock dial?

For very many years, we have had a cheap "Pepsi" wall clock in our kitchen.

It cost us about £20 in Boots, has a cheap quartz battery movement etc, but it fits the space where it hangs perfectly and the colours nicely match the room. Or they did.

The dial has faded badly, especially the red, so it's now a pale pink.

I've found several for sale on ebay, all of which are faded in one way or another. I have picked up one that looked slightly better - it's not. This means I do have one to strip for refurbishment!

The dial is a thick glossy printed paper, circular and 322mm in diameter. Like heavy weight printer paper.

Because replicating it would need A2-sized scanners and printers, it's not something I can do properly at home. So any suggestions of where I could go to get it scanned, touched up, colour corrected and printed on similar paper? I'm guessing I'd get a few copies done so I can put a new one on every 10 years or so.

Craftsman
    I think most high street print shops would do this - scan it in, fix the colouring, and then print some copies. If you can find one still trading in the high street....

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I think most high street print shops would do this - scan it in, fix the colouring, and then print some copies. If you can find one still trading in the high street....
    That was my thought

Master
    Surely this is Mrs Gyp's fault, no?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Surely this is Mrs Gyp's fault, no?
    Well, my preference is to replace it.

Her preference is that I get it refurbed.

I guess you are right!

Craftsman
    As long as you keep the original you can always refurbish it later. My guess is it will be much cheaper to get some copies made.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    As long as you keep the original you can always refurbish it later. My guess is it will be much cheaper to get some copies made.
    The original clock is still on the wall, ticking away nicely.

Mrs Gyp is unaware of the imposter clock, which is dismantled and ready for a copy dial (and fitment with a radio controlled movement).

Once I've created the pristine version, I will simply swap them over and see if she ever notices.

I contacted a local print house over the weekend - let's see if they get back to me :-)

Local print shop have taken the job on.

Planning to recreate the dial on 1mm plastic with a (long and complicated name) ink so should outlast me.

Check out some sign shops. Can print it on vinyl and apply it to the face.

Today with inkjet large format printers. Easy job to do.

DON