closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Used camera sellers?

Used camera sellers?

Anyone recommend a secondhand camera place-looking for a DLSR with decent lens for wildlife
    cheers
    FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 11th April 2021 at 11:45.

Craftsman
    I’ve used MPB a few times for both buying and selling.

They seem to have pretty high standards for grading their equipment, good customer service and when I looked the other week, a really good stock of equipment.

Canon/Nikon is an argument older than iOS/Android - I’ve owned both, preferred the Nikon. Had a D300S with a variety of lenses.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Cheers- I’ll take a look.

Master
    MPB, Mifsuds, LCE and Ffordes I’ve used all in the past with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    MPB, Mifsuds, LCE and Ffordes I’ve used all in the past with no issues.
    I've used all of the above without issue. Also, I recently traded in 3 DSLR bodies and 2 lenses againsta new (to me) body with MPB, they arranged pick up of my kit and delivery of the new body. The whole process was fast and efficient. I've bought used from Sheffield Cameras (12 month warranty on used gear), who were good to deal with, and recently WEX for a used RRS L plate for the new body, their price was excellent.

PS. MPB described the body I bought as "Excellent", in fact it was pretty much as new.
    Last edited by magirus; 11th April 2021 at 12:24.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

MPB

After a recommendation on here my son used MPB to get a camera and lens, he has since traded the lens up also with MPB, absolutely transparent and professional.

Master
    Used MPB and LCE. Wouldn’t use Camera Jungle though.bought a used Sony and wasn’t really as described (worse condition than stated and incorrect battery and strap sent)

Craftsman
    +1 for WEX, used a few times for used equipment, always been good. Cheers, John B4

Craftsman

Used camera sellers?

MPB are very good, used the several time with both buying a new selling

Also Talk Photography is a great friendly forum, you will sell their with ease and forums are moderated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post

Also Talk Photography is a great friendly forum, you will sell their with ease and forums are moderated

Think you need a certain number of posts before you can use the classifieds and it looks like the forums may close soon (announced this week)

Master
    Do you have a specific Canon in mind? Take a look at camerapricebuster and see who has the particular model available in the 'used' section.

By the way I have the 150-600 for my Nikon and I'm more than happy with the results for the price paid
    good luck with your search

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Do you have a specific Canon in mind? Take a look at camerapricebuster and see who has the particular model available in the 'used' section.

By the way I have the 150-600 for my Nikon and I'm more than happy with the results for the price paid
    good luck with your search
    Yeh I’m looking at a 7D Mk2 which seems a great choice for wildlife photography. Watching the reviews on YouTube it seems to outperform later cameras in a similar range.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Yeh I’m looking at a 7D Mk2 which seems a great choice for wildlife photography. Watching the reviews on YouTube it seems to outperform later cameras in a similar range.
    looks like Park cameras may be worth considering for a used example of the Canon....
    I've only used them for new gear including my sigma lens so can't vouch for their used services

Master
    Apologies if you are a camera expert and what I’m about to say annoys, but the range you are looking for will result in a trade off in aperture.

I used canon L series and a good 70-200 coupled with a x2 extender gave good results with minimal trade off.

Again apologies if you know all this.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Apologies if you are a camera expert and what I’m about to say annoys, but the range you are looking for will result in a trade off in aperture.

I used canon L series and a good 70-200 coupled with a x2 extender gave good results with minimal trade off.

I’m no pro 🤣
    Theres so much choice that’s the problem and research and reviews is all I’ve got. Could you explain the above a little more please
    Cheers

I don’t really know much about wildlife photography but I imagine this might be a case where you should work back from the lens you want to use and get a body to suit.

I would have thought that you will need a really long and pretty high quality lens. And long, fast lenses are usually a lot of cash.

I used to be a Canon user (now switched to Fuji) and the Sigma “bigma” (50-500) got good reviews for a reasonably priced lens or for more £££ the Canon 100-400L ... however I am not up to date with the Canon world.

In terms of where to look - as already mentioned MPB are good and very fair prices - have used them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

I’m no pro 藍
    Theres so much choice that’s the problem and research and reviews is all I’ve got. Could you explain the above a little more please
    Cheers
    I have a Canon 70-200L f2.8, and also a Canon 2x TC. The f2.8 is the maximum aperture of the lens through all of it's 70-200mm focal zoom length. Put a 2x TC on to double the focal length of the lens and that f2.8 becomes f5.6 ie it slows the lens down by 2 stops of light (f2.8-f4-f5.6). Of course the upside is that your lens is now a 140-400 zoom, and with the 7DII you mention this has a sensor with a 1.6x crop factor so your lens is effectively a 224-640mm lens. On a camera with full frame sensor such as I have, ie a sensor the same size as a frame of 35mm film, then with the 2x TC the lens will still be 140-400 as there is no crop factor involved. There's also a 1.4x TC which only slows the lens by 1 stop ie f2.8 becomes f4. A long zoom such as a Sigma 150- 600 has an aperture of f5.6/f6.3, which means it's f5.6 when unzoomed and will change to f6.3 at some point in the long end of it's range, which is where you'll likely use it for wild life. Once you get into the long fixed length Canon L lenses , 400mm and up then the cost becomes rather high also. They do a marvellous 70-200 with a built in TC, if only . . . ;-).
    Last edited by magirus; 12th April 2021 at 08:11.
    F.T.F.A.

Sure you want a DSLR over a mirrorless camera?

Sony has a decently priced 200-600mm lens which has received excellent reviews.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Think you need a certain number of posts before you can use the classifieds and it looks like the forums may close soon (announced this week)
    Just seen this, that would be a shame if it did close

Have used both Wex and MPB and both were really good.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Whats your budjet and what do you want to photograph

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Do it, I've had the 7d mkII body since it came out. There's not a body around I'd chop it in for even now, the AF is otherworldly. Short of winning the lottery anytime soon and buying something like a 1dx mkIII I wouldn't trade the 7d mkII in for anything.

I'm also extremely fortunate to have a 70-200 mkII IS f2.8, and the 100-400 mkII f4-5.6. I love the 100-400, but the 70-200 at 2.8 really is something else. I was also pretty much blessed to have ready access to a Canon 500mm f4 prime for a number of years. Honestly, the 500 was great for birding when you need reach, but if you could only have one lens I'd take the 70-200 2.8 IS in a heartbeat. It really is as sharp as they say, and the speed is unbelievable. Quite often I used to just go out with the 70-200 2.8 and my aforementioned friend's old canon tc 1.4x and be good to go in most situations. I literally love the extra reach out to 400, but I'd already had the 70-200 for a couple of years and that f2.8 is a killer.
    Put it this way, my friend who had the Canon 500mm f4 at the moment has all my kit. When he goes out 95% of the time he takes the 70-200 2.8.

Last year he sold the 500mm f4 to MPB and said they were excellent (I'd been the only one using it for some time). I don't know how much you know about photography, so I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but the best advice I ever heard was 'it's all about the glass'. Trust me, I learnt through experience over time it is. For wildlife get the fastest (best aperture) quality lenses you afford, then start looking at bodies. Years back I pumped all my money into a decent (at the time) semi pro body, the FPS and AF were great, but then used to get frustrated at the quality of my snaps with a slow, dark (ish) f5.6 300mm. If you’re lucky enough to be able to stretch to it (at the time I was), the L series stuff is literally life changing.

I'd go for a second hand 70-200 f2.8 IS mkII, apparently the only real difference between the mkII and mkIII is the fluorite coating on the elements. You'll save £££ and from what I understand the performance is comparable. With that and the 7d mkII body you'll be good to go. Chuck in the 1.4tc if you're feeling frisky. 😄

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    Whats your budjet and what do you want to photograph

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Do it, I've had the 7d mkII body since it came out. There's not a body around I'd chop it in for even now, the AF is otherworldly. Short of winning the lottery anytime soon and buying something like a 1dx mkIII I wouldn't trade the 7d mkII in for anything.

I'm also extremely fortunate to have a 70-200 mkII IS f2.8, and the 100-400 mkII f4-5.6. I love the 100-400, but the 70-200 at 2.8 really is something else. I was also pretty much blessed to have ready access to a Canon 500mm f4 prime for a number of years. Honestly, the 500 was great for birding when you need reach, but if you could only have one lens I'd take the 70-200 2.8 IS in a heartbeat. It really is as sharp as they say, and the speed is unbelievable. Quite often I used to just go out with the 70-200 2.8 and my aforementioned friend's old canon tc 1.4x and be good to go in most situations. I literally love the extra reach out to 400, but I'd already had the 70-200 for a couple of years and that f2.8 is a killer.
    Put it this way, my friend who had the Canon 500mm f4 at the moment has all my kit. When he goes out 95% of the time he takes the 70-200 2.8.

Last year he sold the 500mm f4 to MPB and said they were excellent (I'd been the only one using it for some time). I don't know how much you know about photography, so I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but the best advice I ever heard was 'it's all about the glass'. Trust me, I learnt through experience over time it is. For wildlife get the fastest (best aperture) quality lenses you afford, then start looking at bodies. Years back I pumped all my money into a decent (at the time) semi pro body, the FPS and AF were great, but then used to get frustrated at the quality of my snaps with a slow, dark (ish) f5.6 300mm. If you’re lucky enough to be able to stretch to it (at the time I was), the L series stuff is literally life changing.

I'd go for a second hand 70-200 f2.8 IS mkII, apparently the only real difference between the mkII and mkIII is the fluorite coating on the elements. You'll save £££ and from what I understand the performance is comparable. With that and the 7d mkII body you'll be good to go. Chuck in the 1.4tc if you're feeling frisky. 
    I’m having lessons at the moment for which I’m using a Canon SX70HS which as some know is a bridge camera. When I moved back in 19 we were fortunate enough to have moved on to the edge of an open field which overlooks some decent countryside. Deer, all manner of wild birds, foxes are all common place and so I naturally assumed that a decent point and shoot camera would suffice. The chap giving me the lessons has said that my bridge is an amazing bit of equipment but clearly the zoom capability lets down the final product. Within a few lessons it was clear to see that zoom capability isn’t the be all and end all and actually getting closer to the subject and putting yourself in the area where the wildlife is is most important. The pic quality of my camera at about 30 ft is just as good as the guy who’s giving me the lessons £20k set up however even I can see the limitations of the bridge beyond that.
    I will never be a pro however I want decent enough kit that will see me through rather than having to upgrade again once I’ve more experience.
    I’d prefer to stick with canon as their operating systems and menus all seem to be the same.
    Thanks for all the info.

Master
    As suggested by many above, MPB are really good to deal with as are WEX, for both used and new gear. I have also had great experience with Mifsuds, Park Cameras and other camera outlets. Depending upon what you are looking for, it might also be as cheap to buy grey as to buy used. Just a thought.

As for lenses, the mighty white Canon lenses are indeed excellent. I have owned a lot of Canon 400, 500 and 600 mm f4 lenses and they are super fast focussing and allow low light photography etc... I have though tested my toy Sigma 150-600C lens against a good copy of Canon's 400f4 and it is just as sharp. The Tamron equivalent can also be top drawer if you get a good copy. So, if on a budget do not discount these excellent lenses new or used. They do have limitations in terms of focus speed and tiny aperture, of course, as both seem to work best stopped down a bit.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

you have lots of options but for wildlife and birds in Flight the Af on the latest canon and sony Mirrorless are in a different league . go for the longest reach Lens you can afford for birds as said above the sigma Lens is an exellent Lens for the money, i now use the sony 200-600 which is a cracking Lens For the Money, have a look at the grey market suppliers panamoz, einfinity etc i have a few pics in the birds thread in the digital camera forum some taken with the sigma and some with the sony.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app