closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Restaurant food at home

Restaurant food at home

Anybody else tried it ? Any recommendations?
    We’ve recently had food delivered from Gymkhana , a Michelin starred Indian in London and from Baratxuri, a Spanish restaurant in Colne.
    They send you a box with all the ingredients in along with a cooking method .
    Really good way of getting great food at home . The Gymkhana one was far more labour intensive , but yielded a great dinner. The Baratxuri one was so simple and amazingly tasty.
    I’m hoping to order from Tommy Banks in York this weekend .
    www.ambassadorgeneralstore.com
    www.levanterfinefoods.co.uk

Kind of, we’ve had Rick Stein’s Lobster at home which was a real faff and disappointing, they accidentally sent us the Dover Sole option a few weeks back and that was worse so went in the bin.

Had burgers from Libertine last night which were fantastic

Master
    Bocca di Lupo, Smokestak, Bancone all excellent. There's also an Indian called Mandira's Kitchen which supplies dishes frozen. Doesn't sound like much of a concept but the food was really, really nice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a Harvester style meal at home the other day.
    Overcooked the steak, forgot the sauce and made sure the desert was sh!t.

To add to the illusion, every time I got a beer from the fridge, I stood by it for 15 minutes occasionally shouting ‘Yes please mate?’.

I also p!ssed all over my toilet floor before I went in.

All in all, very authentic.

Did home made donner kebab tonight, if that counts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post

To add to the illusion, every time I got a beer from the fridge, I stood by it for 15 minutes occasionally shouting ‘Yes please mate?’.

That is probably the only funny post on the forum today
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Journeyman
    If you like curry I would recommend Aktar at home... Michelin starred curry and all you have to do is warm it up.

Good value as well... the meal for four is 8 curries... between two of us we have had three meals so far with one still to go!

Had a few, Tommy Banks Roots which won a Michelin Star this year was good but if you’re in Yorkshire a catering company called Blakefields have been doing exceptional heat at home meals. We’ve had a few of those and all been fantastic.

Master
    I may be the odd one out but I can’t really see the point of these sort of restaurant meals at home kits (and to be fair I’m not a big takeaway fan either...).

Don’t get me wrong, I am a big restaurant fan and get various emails from those I have been to trying to flog these things. Part of the appeal of a restaurant for me is someone else (who is good at it!) does the cooking and washing up and I am somewhere other than my own kitchen to eat it. From the emails, the price of these things seem not far off what it costs at the restaurant sans booze without half the benefit.

I understand people don’t want to cook all the time and there is a demand for takeaway but paying a full service price for it doesn’t make sense. Fortunately, all those savings I’ve made are ready for restaurants opening, first one booked for Monday...!

I thought this had promise until I saw the prices - £100+ for a meal for 2 ?! I guess I'm just not used to Michelin prices - never having been to one. Is it really worth 5x + the amount of a normal good restaurant / takeaway meal ?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I thought this had promise until I saw the prices - £100+ for a meal for 2 ?! I guess I'm just not used to Michelin prices - never having been to one. Is it really worth 5x + the amount of a normal good restaurant / takeaway meal ?
    From my experience, no. As mentioned above, most of the appeal for me is having it cooked and not dealing with washing up etc.

The 4 x burgers from Libertine for £35 (inc shipping) were so good that I’ve ordered another lot for next weekend

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    From my experience, no. As mentioned above, most of the appeal for me is having it cooked and not dealing with washing up etc.

The 4 x burgers from Libertine for £35 (inc shipping) were so good that I’ve ordered another lot for next weekend
    Is this the Leamington and Rugby Libertine of which you speak? Is it really that good then? How far will they do delivery do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post

I understand people don’t want to cook all the time and there is a demand for takeaway but paying a full service price for it doesn’t make sense. Fortunately, all those savings I’ve made are ready for restaurants opening, first one booked for Monday...!
    A couple of reasons. I've tried to support local businesses in very difficult times, especially those that have had to change their entire business model to survive.

Another, cooking a couple of meals a day, every day is draining, especially if kids are eating something different. And then unless you're a trained chef there's no way you'd be able to create some of the dishes, sauces, breads and desserts we've enjoyed (after you've finished work on a Friday night), so treat now and then is nice.

So thank those that have supported your local restaurants over the past year, it's because of us many restaurants are able to accept bookings and continue to trade.

Who would want stuff like this at home anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Is this the Leamington and Rugby Libertine of which you speak? Is it really that good then? How far will they do delivery do you think?
    That’s the one, they deliver home kits nationally by DPD. We went for the #007 kit and cooked them on the bbq last night.

Master
    The point about supporting local businesses is definitely the best argument for this restaurant food at home so with you on that. I took the opportunity to do that fairly extensively between July and November in the actual restaurant though as whilst restaurants weren’t the same there was definitely enough of the experience to make it worthwhile.

I’m not against the idea of takeaways for the reasons you mention about not wanting to cook all the time but as an above poster said, I just don’t see the value in these upmarket ones (despite not being a stranger to a super sized restaurant bill sadly!)

That’s a proper belly laugh, well done I applaud you. You have won the TZ forum and internet today with this comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    That’s a proper belly laugh, well done I applaud you. You have won the TZ forum and internet today with this comment.
    Indeed, it brightened my day no end.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Thats really funny Dave, most realistic

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Very good, Dave!

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Fantastic stuff! This makes me remember why I will also be the first the queue up for the Spoons when it reopens. The enlightened ruminations at the bar enjoyed by a captive audience, the heady, enrapturing smell of vomit and 57 varieties of urine every time you need to spend a penny. And of course, that tried and tested classic pub game...count the missing/extra limbs or mutations of your fellow patrons. Joking aside, I do miss Wetherspoons. The lure of the cheap burger and pint is too hard to resist.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kozza6 View Post
    Fantastic stuff! This makes me remember why I will also be the first the queue up for the Spoons when it reopens. The enlightened ruminations at the bar enjoyed by a captive audience, the heady, enrapturing smell of vomit and 57 varieties of urine every time you need to spend a penny. And of course, that tried and tested classic pub game...count the missing/extra limbs or mutations of your fellow patrons. Joking aside, I do miss Wetherspoons. The lure of the cheap burger and pint is too hard to resist.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Must admit I do like a spoons and at least you get some exercise going to the loo which is usually in another post code.
    On a serious note,we’ve been getting a few take outs from our local Italian,but I’m not sure I’d of bothered if I had to cook it myself.

We tried HelloFresh recently for a couple of weeks. I highly recommend it. The food and flavours reminded me of eating at restaurants. Worth a try folks - you can get free trials for a week too!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Had a few, Tommy Banks Roots which won a Michelin Star this year was good but if you’re in Yorkshire a catering company called Blakefields have been doing exceptional heat at home meals. We’ve had a few of those and all been fantastic.
    I saw the Blakefields one but they only deliver locally. If I’m in the area any time soon , I’ll make a stop. The Tommy Banks is ordered for May.
    I understand people’s reluctance to pay this much but the food is more than a cut above a normal takeaway . Plus, it gives an insight into how the dishes are prepared in the restaurant and you can learn from this. Also, the ingredients will generally be of a much better quality than you might source yourself.
    I was chatting to the guy who brought my Baratxuri meals and he told me that the delivery option was the main reason they’d continued to survive. That’s good enough for me to continue the support. Who knows how many one man bands have gone to the wall during the last 12 months.
    But, by all means, fill your boots with a Wetherspoons microwaved meal if that’s your preference.

Craftsman

Restaurant food at home

Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

Did you buy the elephant in or shoot one locally?
    F.T.F.A.

Yesterday’s lunch. We have been only cooking from ingredients for months now - no pre-prepared food. Very tasty

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I did that too! A real game changer.