I got to try on an MB&F HM9 for the first time on my birthday back in 2019. The salesman who showed me the watch at the M.A.D Gallery commented when I posted a photo of it on Instagram: “Not easy to give up what you want for something you want more”...

I managed to keep the Rolex 6542 GMT with the Bakelite bezel that I had listed on SC but have given up a number of watches over the past couple of months. However, today I am in absolutely no doubt that it was the right thing to do as my grail has arrived in the form of the HM9 Road Edition and I couldn’t be happier with the decision!

I’m going to steal from the post I’ve just made on Instagram as I’m pretty lost for words...

Here’s a quote from one of my best friend’s Instagram stories on what buying what you like actually means: “If you had to spend all your time off Instagram and just carry on with your life without showing it to anyone or flaunting it at watch meet-ups... you’d still be over the moon with that purchase. You’d still get joy from looking at it. You’d still be amazed by the movement, or the functionality it offers... whatever your rationale was for buying it - that would continue to apply to you - alone.” That is exactly what this watch does for me.

Another good friend of mine is also the guy who sourced this watch for me and he summed up my thoughts on the HM9 with this comment: “It’s honestly art not a watch. It just happens to tell the time.”

Here are a couple of quick photos, along with a comedy one...

All the best,

Paul