closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 50 of 50

Thread: MB&F HM9 Grail Arrival

  1. #1

    MB&F HM9 Grail Arrival

    I got to try on an MB&F HM9 for the first time on my birthday back in 2019. The salesman who showed me the watch at the M.A.D Gallery commented when I posted a photo of it on Instagram: ďNot easy to give up what you want for something you want moreĒ...

    I managed to keep the Rolex 6542 GMT with the Bakelite bezel that I had listed on SC but have given up a number of watches over the past couple of months. However, today I am in absolutely no doubt that it was the right thing to do as my grail has arrived in the form of the HM9 Road Edition and I couldnít be happier with the decision!

    Iím going to steal from the post Iíve just made on Instagram as Iím pretty lost for words...

    Hereís a quote from one of my best friendís Instagram stories on what buying what you like actually means: ďIf you had to spend all your time off Instagram and just carry on with your life without showing it to anyone or flaunting it at watch meet-ups... youíd still be over the moon with that purchase. Youíd still get joy from looking at it. Youíd still be amazed by the movement, or the functionality it offers... whatever your rationale was for buying it - that would continue to apply to you - alone.Ē That is exactly what this watch does for me.

    Another good friend of mine is also the guy who sourced this watch for me and he summed up my thoughts on the HM9 with this comment: ďItís honestly art not a watch. It just happens to tell the time.Ē

    Here are a couple of quick photos, along with a comedy one...







    All the best,

    Paul

  2. #2
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    10,179
    Blog Entries
    20
    Certainly interesting Paul. Can you say more about it? Looks kinda steam-punk style and art indeed!

  3. #3
    Thanks Martyn!

    Max Busser says it a lot better than me if you have a few minutes to spare:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=qfFe28pccvs

    It really is an incredible piece of engineering!

    Cheers,

    Paul

  4. #4
    Superb Paul. Really takes some balls to go for a piece like this, but certainly worth it. Congrats!

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    691
    Wow! I love all the horological machines by MB&F. Congrats on the purchase!

  6. #6
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,760
    Congratulations on obtaining a grail.
    It is a fantastic piece of engineering.

  7. #7
    That`s not engineering, it`s mechanical magic.

  8. #8
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    2,179
    Congratulations,that really is bold and glorious.

  9. #9
    Journeyman theancientmariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Newcastle, U.K.
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    ďItís honestly art not a watch. It just happens to tell the time.Ē
    I love that quote and couldn't agree more. What a fantastic piece.

  10. #10
    Thatís just a piece of art, and one you can wear and enjoy or have on a shelf when you get home too :)
    It's just a matter of time...

  11. #11
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    23,520
    That is absolutely outstanding. Max Busser is a genius and so are his friends. The result is always spectacular and this one certainly is that.
    I hope you will treat us to more photos in the weeks to come.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Yorkshire at the moment
    Posts
    2,870
    Fabulous, love them, remember looking at them in Singapore a while ago.

  13. #13
    Absolutely first rate... not something we see everyday!

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Essex, innit - know what I mean.
    Posts
    2,693
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love MB&Fís work, particularly their collaborations with Blackbadger. This is, without doubt, one of the most special watches I have seen on here in many years. You are a lucky man and I wish you well wearing, and enjoying, what can only be described as a spectacular piece of art and horological excellence.
    Iíd like to say Iím not jealous but I would be lying.

  15. #15
    Master daveyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,832
    Congratulations on following your dreams

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    1,322
    Huge congrats.
    MB&F go beyond watches and into the realms or art/sculpture on a number of their pieces. As with all art it is really individual some thing are blah, some you get, but some you love. Looks like you have been lucky enough to get a piece of art you love, that you can wear and take with you ! Something very special.
    Enjoy !

  17. #17
    Fantastic, congrats on the acquisition of a watch / piece of mechanical art you clearly love! Look forward to seeing it on the Friday thread :)

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Superb Paul. Really takes some balls to go for a piece like this, but certainly worth it. Congrats!
    Cheers! I know youíre a fan of independents too so that means a lot!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Wow! I love all the horological machines by MB&F. Congrats on the purchase!
    Thank you! I love both the HMs and the LMs but this one has always been my favourite!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Congratulations on obtaining a grail.
    It is a fantastic piece of engineering.
    Thanks! The attention to detail is just mind-blowing.

    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    That`s not engineering, it`s mechanical magic.
    Mind-blowing... or magic!

    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Congratulations,that really is bold and glorious.
    Much appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I love that quote and couldn't agree more. What a fantastic piece.
    It sums it up nicely!

    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Thatís just a piece of art, and one you can wear and enjoy or have on a shelf when you get home too :)
    Cheers Scott! That was my thought - it will make an even more expensive version of the Hodinkee clock when Iím working from home...! Looking forward to seeing your automotive art soon my man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That is absolutely outstanding. Max Busser is a genius and so are his friends. The result is always spectacular and this one certainly is that.
    I hope you will treat us to more photos in the weeks to come.
    Merci S-J! Iíll definitely add some more pics in the next few days!

    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Fabulous, love them, remember looking at them in Singapore a while ago.
    Itís a shame there is no AD in the UK anymore. I know Pragnell were talking about becoming one at one stage but apparently thatís not happening anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Absolutely first rate... not something we see everyday!
    Cheers! Agreed - I had to keep remembering what it felt like having it on my wrist to convince myself I was doing the right thing!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    I love MB&Fís work, particularly their collaborations with Blackbadger. This is, without doubt, one of the most special watches I have seen on here in many years. You are a lucky man and I wish you well wearing, and enjoying, what can only be described as a spectacular piece of art and horological excellence.
    Iíd like to say Iím not jealous but I would be lying.
    I think the Blackbadger HMX is an awesome piece! Thanks for such a lovely comment - I can promise you I havenít stopped grinning since I picked it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Congratulations on following your dreams
    Thank you - it still feels like Iím in a dream right now!

    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Huge congrats.
    MB&F go beyond watches and into the realms or art/sculpture on a number of their pieces. As with all art it is really individual some thing are blah, some you get, but some you love. Looks like you have been lucky enough to get a piece of art you love, that you can wear and take with you ! Something very special.
    Enjoy !
    Cheers! This is definitely one of those watches that people either love or hate! What I would say in all the craziness is that it is actually a really wearable size when on the wrist!

    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Fantastic, congrats on the acquisition of a watch / piece of mechanical art you clearly love! Look forward to seeing it on the Friday thread :)
    Thank you! Iím sure there will be plenty of pics to come over the next few weeks!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Huge congrats.
    MB&F go beyond watches and into the realms or art/sculpture on a number of their pieces. As with all art it is really individual some thing are blah, some you get, but some you love. Looks like you have been lucky enough to get a piece of art you love, that you can wear and take with you ! Something very special.
    Enjoy !


    Think you nail it there.


    It's great that stuff like that is imagined and incredible it's made. I can see myself just staring at it in wonder.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    3,044
    Blog Entries
    1
    That is a marvel of engineering, I guess itís not really wearable out many places.

    Iíd love to see one in the flesh.

  21. #21
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    35,914
    Absolutely marvellous. The HM6 Space Pirate is my lottery win present to myself.

  22. #22
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That is absolutely outstanding. Max Busser is a genius and so are his friends. The result is always spectacular and this one certainly is that.
    I hope you will treat us to more photos in the weeks to come.
    Couldn't have put it better myself!

  23. #23
    Grand Master AlphaOmega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Trinovantum
    Posts
    10,422
    Love that he has a picture of a Mosquito in his video.

    No, not that kind. One of the most beautiful aircraft ever.

    Glad someone has the artistic guts to make their dreams real. Well done OP.

  24. #24
    Master tiny73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in Blighty
    Posts
    3,451
    Holy Crap Paul, you weren’t kidding when you said it was something special. That is absolutely stunning. Nice work indeed.

    I follow MB&F on Instagram and am always amazed by their pieces but never thought I’d see one in the wild as it were.
    Last edited by tiny73; 11th April 2021 at 10:36.

  25. #25
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    9,391
    Bonkers beautiful!

  26. #26
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    250
    That is just a crazy piece of engineering. Love it!

  27. #27
    I saw this on Instagram and was hoping you'd start a thread on TZ. What an absolutely incredible, beautiful, bonkers, interesting watch.

    Well done for achieving your true grail of grails. Not many of us have the balls to decimate our collections to achieve what we really want.

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,327
    Wow never even heard of these, awesome and a great back story thanks for posting up.
    Whatís it actually like to wear?

  29. #29
    Master TKH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hot Tub
    Posts
    2,232
    Awesome on so many levels - to watch the dual balance wheels is mesmerising..

    for those old enough to remember - it reminded me of the 1960 Film 'Time Machine' and also '20'000 Leagues'

    Enjoy - how could you not...
    Last edited by TKH; 11th April 2021 at 09:46.

  30. #30
    Journeyman Caminos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    110
    Incredible watch. The video is really good. Thanks for sharing


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    That is amazing and love the passion of the owner.

    Also love those robot watch holders!

  32. #32
    Salute. A bold but a great choice.
    We need more pics though.

  33. #33
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    230
    Absolutely stunning. Congrats.

    Iíve lusted after an MB&F since watching the video below. It is a panel discussion on the future of high end watchmaking with the Gronefeld brothers, Roger Smith and Max Busser. Busser is basically a superstar. (The video is a must watch for anyone who missed it btw.)

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-HtSi8OC0

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,145
    When I first looked at these pictures I couldn't make out the watch until I realised what I thought was the head of the robot was actually the watch.

    A wonderful melding of engineering and art. Many congratulations on getting it.

    I have also spent the a happy couple of hours learning more about MB & F. A company who are on the bleeding edge of watchmaking.

  35. #35
    That is an absolutely phenomenal watch!

    I realise this is hardly the point but how do you find erading the time at a glance?

  36. #36
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    23,520
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    That is an absolutely phenomenal watch!

    I realise this is hardly the point but how do you find erading the time at a glance?
    There is no such a thing as glancing at this watch anyway. The challenge is in looking at the dial because the rest of the watch is mesmerising
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  37. #37
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    16,219
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thats nuts in the best possible way!
    Glad you got to keep the gmt AND get it.

  38. #38
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,135
    That's enthralling and quite brilliantly bonkers. Congratulations.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    2,161
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good grief - that's fantastic. A completely unknown brand to me - a quick google and they clearly make some creative, beautiful and technically amazing watches.

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    That is an absolutely phenomenal watch!

    I realise this is hardly the point but how do you find erading the time at a glance?
    Phenomenal piece!

    Reading the time should be easier than most watches, there's a plain dial face on the front that would face you with the wrist in a more natural position than regular watches.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Think you nail it there.


    It's great that stuff like that is imagined and incredible it's made. I can see myself just staring at it in wonder.
    I have certainly been doing a lot of that over the last few days!

    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That is a marvel of engineering, I guess itís not really wearable out many places.

    Iíd love to see one in the flesh.
    Itís been food shopping and out looking at other watches with me so far (the look on watch salespeopleís faces has been entertaining...!) but it is unlikely to be one Iíd put on for a night on the beers...!

    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Absolutely marvellous. The HM6 Space Pirate is my lottery win present to myself.
    Thank you! HM6 you say? And people thought this one was bonkers... (I salute you, sir!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Couldn't have put it better myself!
    Cheers - More photos below!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Love that he has a picture of a Mosquito in his video.

    No, not that kind. One of the most beautiful aircraft ever.

    Glad someone has the artistic guts to make their dreams real. Well done OP.
    He dropped me a message on Instagram after I posted the picture and then sent me his mobile number so we can meet up next time Iím in Dubai. Iím very much looking forward to meeting him in person.

    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Holy Crap Paul, you werenít kidding when you said it was something special. That is absolutely stunning. Nice work indeed.

    I follow MB&F on Instagram and am always amazed by their pieces but never thought Iíd see one in the wild as it were.
    Haha! Cheers Tim - I promise to wear it when we meet up for that beer... as long as it doesnít turn messy!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Bonkers beautiful!
    Cheers Jason!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    That is just a crazy piece of engineering. Love it!
    Amen to that!

    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I saw this on Instagram and was hoping you'd start a thread on TZ. What an absolutely incredible, beautiful, bonkers, interesting watch.

    Well done for achieving your true grail of grails. Not many of us have the balls to decimate our collections to achieve what we really want.
    Cheers! I did let quite a few go but rationalised it by the fact that they were relatively easy to replace if I missed them too much. At one point, I was considering letting the Octa Lune go and then it was the 6542 so Iím glad common sense prevailed and I still have those in the collection!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Wow never even heard of these, awesome and a great back story thanks for posting up.
    Whatís it actually like to wear?
    It wears surprisingly well! I mean, you want to be careful of door frames and the like(!) but the way the lugs are designed means it actually fits comfortably on my girlie wrists, as shown in the pics below.

    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Awesome on so many levels - to watch the dual balance wheels is mesmerising..

    for those old enough to remember - it reminded me of the 1960 Film 'Time Machine' and also '20'000 Leagues'

    Enjoy - how could you not...
    Iím sure Max would be pleased to hear all of that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Caminos View Post
    Incredible watch. The video is really good. Thanks for sharing


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Youíre welcome. I bloody love that video!

    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    That is amazing and love the passion of the owner.

    Also love those robot watch holders!
    Thank you! Iím waiting on them releasing the Robodog too as the HM9 looks awesome on that too!

    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Salute. A bold but a great choice.
    We need more pics though.
    I promise to keep them coming!

    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Absolutely stunning. Congrats.

    Iíve lusted after an MB&F since watching the video below. It is a panel discussion on the future of high end watchmaking with the Gronefeld brothers, Roger Smith and Max Busser. Busser is basically a superstar. (The video is a must watch for anyone who missed it btw.)

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-HtSi8OC0
    Cheers! That is also a great video and youíre absolutely right that Max is a superstar (but also comes across as an incredibly nice guy too).

    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    When I first looked at these pictures I couldn't make out the watch until I realised what I thought was the head of the robot was actually the watch.

    A wonderful melding of engineering and art. Many congratulations on getting it.

    I have also spent the a happy couple of hours learning more about MB & F. A company who are on the bleeding edge of watchmaking.
    That made me smile! From what I hear, thereís plenty more to come from MB&F too!

    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    That is an absolutely phenomenal watch!

    I realise this is hardly the point but how do you find erading the time at a glance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There is no such a thing as glancing at this watch anyway. The challenge is in looking at the dial because the rest of the watch is mesmerising
    S-J is correct...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Phenomenal piece!

    Reading the time should be easier than most watches, there's a plain dial face on the front that would face you with the wrist in a more natural position than regular watches.
    But this is also true, especially when it is being used ďas intendedĒ as a drivers watch!

    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Thats nuts in the best possible way!
    Glad you got to keep the gmt AND get it.
    Thanks Celia - on reflection, I would have been crazy to let the 6542 go over the others that were sacrificed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That's enthralling and quite brilliantly bonkers. Congratulations.
    Cheers Matthew - the closest it will get to water will be if I revisit that underwater restaurant...!

    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Good grief - that's fantastic. A completely unknown brand to me - a quick google and they clearly make some creative, beautiful and technically amazing watches.
    Thank you! Iím glad to hear this thread has brought the craziness and ingenuity that is MB&F to the attention of a few more watch enthusiasts!

    Now for a few more pics...

    I took this one when I first tried on a HM9 in the M.A.D Gallery back in 2019 to prove it didnít look stupidly big on my wrist..



    Hereís one showing the way the positioning of the lugs mean it does actually sit well, even on my stupidly small wrist...



    A properly posed shot in the car just so I could get the Power Station in the background(!)... but you get the idea of how clever the time display is for drivers...



    And finally a gratuitous one from the window of my place!



    And for those of you who want to see the watch photographed properly, hereís a link to my good friend Shawnís website, with his pics of the watch after he sourced it for me...

    https://www.watch4moi.com/product/mbf-hm9-ti-road/

    All the best,

    Paul

  42. #42
    Congrats Paul, clearly something your passionate about but if Iím honest it does nothing for me. I can appreciate the technical mastery but wouldnít buy one personally. But thatís what makes this place interesting, Iíd never heard of MB&F before so every days a school day.

  43. #43
    That is amazing.

    If I imagined the most futuristic watch possible, I still could not reach the imagination level of this watch.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Congrats Paul, clearly something your passionate about but if Iím honest it does nothing for me. I can appreciate the technical mastery but wouldnít buy one personally. But thatís what makes this place interesting, Iíd never heard of MB&F before so every days a school day.
    Cheers Ben - I appreciate weíre all different and this isnít necessarily what the majority of people would buy if given the choice with the same budget... but Iím so glad it exists for the mentalists like me!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    That is amazing.

    If I imagined the most futuristic watch possible, I still could not reach the imagination level of this watch.
    Thank you! Hereís another pic from a different angle...


  45. #45
    Absolutely incredible piece. Congratulations.

  46. #46
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    5,192

    MB&F HM9 Grail Arrival

    I love the engineering and horology and Iím sure I would be mesmerized by it if I seen it, but to own it is another question, I doff my cap to you for buying such and out there watch.

    Personally, I prefer your 6542 Bakelite GMT!

  47. #47
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    185
    That is crazy (in good way!)

  48. #48
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,149
    Tried on the Bulldog today. Not something Iíd wear personally, but a wonderful piece of engineering nonetheless-









    Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

  49. #49
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    691
    The bulldog is def a very impressive feat but not sure I could pull it off personally. The HM3 and HM4 were always my favourites although if i ever found myself in a position to buy would go with the HM3 as looks a bit more wearable.

  50. #50
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    milk n beans
    Posts
    86
    That is an incredible timepiece, I skipped to the pictures, read the thread and had to go back and stare at the pictures again, and then some more!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information