timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audemars Piguet RO Concept ‘Black Panther’

Audemars Piguet RO Concept ‘Black Panther’

Yep...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love AP, I am not liking that at all.

Master
    Not to my taste at all, but good job we don’t all like the same thing.

Craftsman
    Ap really don't have a clue anymore apart from the royal oak

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

It’s depressing to see such great engineering which has taken centuries to reach this point, being belittled by a partnership with a cartoon character.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    It’s depressing to see such great engineering which has taken centuries to reach this point, being belittled by a partnership with a cartoon character.
    Couldn’t agree more, we look at some Victorian items and wonder what were they ever thinking.

I don’t get the fascination with Marvel Movies. I think Alan Moore said it best when he noted it’s kind of grotesque to make them for an adult world. They were fine for 1930s kids but they’re not relevant now.

Blog Entries
    No

I would agree but AFAI all the money from the sale went to charity. Completely changed my opinion of it.

Also there's the very small possibility of a TZ connection to the watch which to me makes it really quite cool.

Edited to add: just realised there are also a limited run of 250 tourbillons. Hmm...
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 10th April 2021 at 19:08.

And we thought the tropical Datejust was bad

Master
    If you see the picture on hodinkiee, the work that must of gone into it is astronomical the detail is immense, but what a shocker they’ve had there, still at least is doesn’t look as bad as the TT explorer

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I would agree but AFAI all the money from the sale went to charity. Completely changed my opinion of it.

Also there's the very small possibility of a TZ connection to the watch which to me makes it really quite cool.

Edited to add: just realised there are also a limited run of 250 tourbillons. Hmm...
    What’s the connection to TZ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Kevin Hart is a member here - Mick P I think 🤔

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Kevin Hart is a member here - Mick P I think 🤔
    Ah ok, thanks.

Craftsman
    When the AP x Marvel collaboration was announced i was initially suprised and felt it would just cheapens the brand. Sadly I think that is the case. You couldnt imagine PP collabroating with a hollywood franchise!

I'm not into watch knicknames, but I christen this "The Pube".

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Being 7 years old* I unironically love the whole Marvel Universe shebang, brain-out nonsense in a World gone tits-up.... And I love fancypants wristwatches, too, but this thing baffles me: BP was hot property 3 years ago, and the passing of Chadwick Boseman at such a tragically young age added a certain poignancy, but both events have slipped away into recent history, so this seems - questionable taste aside - hopelessly mistimed, to the point of bizarre.

I'd be very interested to know if they all sell.

* +50

Angry

feel I am witnessing one of my favourite brands committing suicide in front of my eyes

Code 11.59 was a miss yes great quality and movement...but.

Now this ridiculous garbage Francois needs to be voted out by the rest of the board
    Complete egotistical megalomaniac who is trying to make himself buddies with Hollywood

Sorry but just so sad to watch it’s like Eurovision ..
    Last edited by TKH; 11th April 2021 at 08:07.

Absolutely incomprehensible. Beyond awful.

I know that at some point the money is just a show of wealth but who in their right mind spends over 5M on that?

Journeyman
    Celebrity endorsement can sometimes send a brand in a wrong direction. If I were in the market for a holy trinity watch, I'd be looking at Vacheron nowadays.

Very disappointed to see this.

Master
    The more I look at this watch, the more I’m starting to like it, a lot, apart from the gear wheel popping out from the bottom of his crotch

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    feel I am witnessing one of my favourite brands committing suicide in front of my eyes

Now this ridiculous garbage Francois needs to be voted out by the rest of the board
    Complete egotistical megalomaniac who is trying to make himself buddies with Hollywood

What a wild overreaction for a limited edition watch that they're only making a handful of and you'll never see in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    If you see the picture on hodinkiee, the work that must of gone into it is astronomical the detail is immense, but what a shocker they’ve had there, still at least is doesn’t look as bad as the TT explorer
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/au...e-pics-pricing

Of course, Hodinkee published an article on it (same day of its release...)

"To be frank, you're either okay with the idea of an AP Marvel watch or you aren't. If you aren't, then nothing's going to change your mind – no matter how well-executed the piece turns out to be. Which in a way is too bad. Because this watch is very well-executed indeed."

"Watches (especially at this level) take years of planning and R&D. This particular watch isn't even based upon the Black Panther movie from 2018, but rather on the character's comic book, and the watch was conceived before the film became a landmark cultural event and grossed $1.3 billion worldwide."

$5,200,000

I shall not comment further...

Master
    I am a big AP fan but this is a complete disaster/mess. No idea how this got signed off. There is one pic on another forum with hand at 10-2 and it looks like the panther is grabbing a huge penis!

AP CEO personally was directly involved in this and the launch of the CODE. Next launch has to be a big a success of he should be out, if he is not already because of this.

Totally agree. I used to think he was trying to be another Jean-Claude Biver but he's running the brand into the ground.

Come on guys....

You know it’s brilliant

Unpopular opinion here, but I love it. I think it looks fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    A TZ member designed the Black Panther suit for the movies.

That is awful, and I was looking at acquiring my first AP, if this isnt a late April Fools joke, it seriously contributes to me changing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    For clarification, the watch in this thread isn't $5,200,000, a one off white gold version sold for that at a charity auction. This one is six figures. (according to the Hodinkee article anyway)

like earlofsodbury, I find the release of this more than a little bizarre in both taste and timing. I understand that these projects take time but it just seems to be putting a hugely expensive watch with a Marvel graphic novel character out there for no real reason other than just being an expensive watch with a Marvel character. I'm not sure whether I do or don't like it but it seems slightly pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    What a wild overreaction for a limited edition watch that they're only making a handful of and you'll never see in real life.
    I just feel that un-checked by the owners, Francois could be on a personal mission of self-gratification he’s like a 8 year old trapped in a 55 year old body with the company chequebook paying millions to celebs to like him and rub shoulders with him, I am seeing Tom Hanks in “Big”....(great film)...

Watch the first 5 minutes of this and tell me you aren’t cringing?

AP are an incredible watchmaker and based on product deservingly one of the Trilogy...since 1875.....15300 is quite possibly my favourite watch..

Some people will remember Gerald Ratner...this is feeling similar if different in execution.....

But ....time (no pun) will tell...maybe I am completely wrong and Francois is truly a genius and the Marvel and 11.59 initiatives will propel AP to new heights

But I stand by my words the new watch all 251 of them are a hideous monstrosity and some things once seen are forever unseeable
    Last edited by TKH; 11th April 2021 at 08:50.

Journeyman
    But enough about Speedmasters...

kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    That is awful, and I was looking at acquiring my first AP, if this isnt a late April Fools joke, it seriously contributes to me changing my mind.
    Why ? You were thinking of buying this particular model??
    I think the watch is jarring aesthetically and am not fond of Marvel or the tie up but a lot of people are getting bent out of shape over a limited run of 250 watches when there is plenty of other models which most people admire. I am sure they will have no problem selling these 250 at 150,000 CHF each but eventually it is a misstep and an unfortunate tie up. AP doesn’t need it.

Watch the first 5 minutes of this and tell me you aren’t cringing?

Fast forward to the end and the closing hugs, when Francois is left hanging. Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post

Why?? As a for instance rolex make, in my eyes, some horrendous watches - garish jewel-encrusted, leopardskin print strap befouled monstrosities - and, despite softening my view on it a little over the last couple of years, I still think that the "cyclops" stops some of their models being as good as they could be...

...didnt stop me buying my SD4000, which is, again in my opinion, one of the most perfect watches ever made.

Brands are allowed to cater for all tastes and also allowed to have a bit of fun now and then. One trick ponies soon get boring. You ever find yourself buying something for the main reason that the purchase is "safe" then you no longer enjoy it as you should.

The more suckers they can lure to this model, the more decent RO watches available for the rest of us. Win-win-win.

Master
    Some of the overreactions in this thread are hilarious.

Journeyman
    This is really ugly eh.

https://www.invictawatch.com/watches.../black-panther

Who would have thought AP would release a homage?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

That’s quite funny!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hahaha, oh dear

I prefer the Invicta.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Haha

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    A TZ member designed the Black Panther suit for the movies.
    is this true?

Master
    I wonder if it’s made out of vibranium

I would expect this kind of tie up with Hublot not AP