closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "New with tags" - yeah right!

"New with tags" - yeah right!

Ever since I spotted a guy sporting a G-Shock GW-B5600AR I've wanted one - I just love the red LCD. One recently came up for auction on the bay. It was listed as 'New with tags' but I've been around long enough to know that often means it's had a little use before being packed back into it's original box before being sold on - but if the price is right I can overlook the sellers porkies.

The pics the seller put up showed the watch in the G-Shock tin - the face and bezel looked fine and all bits and pieces you get (instructions, warranty etc) were there. What wasn't pictured and I didn't event think about it was the watch band.
    I won the auction at a price I was happy with and today the watch was delivered.

On opening the package I was happy that the watch was at least 'as new' and better than I had expected - it took me a minute or two until I realised that the watch was fitted with a V2 combi bracelet from the GW-B5600BC and not the resin strap it should have been fitted with.

Putting the watch on it fitted me almost perfectly - slightly loose but there were 3 holes left in the micro adjustment to take care of that. Then I realised that for it to come anywhere near to fitting me out of the box links must have been removed and indeed 3 links were missing (new ones have 10 links) which is exactly what I would have had to remove to get a new one to fit my 7.25 inch wrist.

Strangely, a couple of days ago I was looking at the fake combis on Ali Express and thinking about getting one for this watch but decided to hold off in case I could find a genuine one at a decent price - seems like I can forget about that now.

Now I'm in a quandary.

Do I leave 5 star feedback with a glowing recommendation for the seller for not only supplying me with a product that surpassed my expectations but who also went to the trouble of finding out my wrist size and adjusting the bracelet ready for me to wear.

Or do I leave 1 star feedback and warn others that the seller's goods may not be "new with tags" as stated and may not be exactly as they should be.

What would you do?

If that's a legit G-Shock combi then you've done well out of this. Seller was telling major porkies, but it doesn't make much sense for them to have given you a more expensive bracelet. I wonder if they put the watch on the combi for themselves, decided to sell and forgot to switch back?

If you like the watch and it's better spec than expected, then enjoy it. Who knows, maybe he sent the wrong one. I would give him good feedback and carry on enjoying it. If you give bad feedback then it will only taint your purchase. Lifes to short to worry.

Wouldn’t leave any feedback either way if I was conflicted, you only get about 20 characters to write something, take your winnings home and forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If that's a legit G-Shock combi then you've done well out of this. Seller was telling major porkies, but it doesn't make much sense for them to have given you a more expensive bracelet. I wonder if they put the watch on the combi for themselves, decided to sell and forgot to switch back?
    Yep, it's legit alright - and there's not a mark on it, no wear scuffs or anything, it's just missing 3 links. I'm also curious as to why the seller left it on the watch, he/she could have sold it separately no problem as even with 3 missing links it'll fit a 7.5 inch (or less) wrist which is probably the majority of people. I've messaged the seller asking they still have the links - no reply yet. Not so long ago these were selling for over £100 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    If you like the watch and it's better spec than expected, then enjoy it. Who knows, maybe he sent the wrong one. I would give him good feedback and carry on enjoying it. If you give bad feedback then it will only taint your purchase. Lifes to short to worry.
    'Now I'm in a quandary' was a tongue in cheek comment, don't worry, I've every intention of leaving good feedback - I'd be too nervous of bad karma coming my way if I left negative feedback especially as the seller knew my wrist size.

Quote Originally Posted by eyespy View Post
    'Now I'm in a quandary' was a tongue in cheek comment, don't worry, I've every intention of leaving good feedback - I'd be too nervous of bad karma coming my way if I left negative feedback especially as the seller knew my wrist size.
    I would just wait and see if he replies or not.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Wouldn’t leave any feedback either way if I was conflicted, you only get about 20 characters to write something, take your winnings home and forget about it.
    This, just let it go if your happy.
    I’ve got a theory that some flippers/sellers take photos when their items are brand new and then sell them as ‘like new’ or ‘in new condition’ making you think they are brand new due to their subtle wording

I don't know. Having thought about it, I think the OP has done the right thing by messaging the sellor. If the sellor has sent the wrong item then it gives him a chance to explain himself and make whatever amends he can. If he has knowingly discribed the item wrongly, then Hell bend him. The OP is being honest with him. If it were me, I would feel happier with that rather than just a 'grab and go' attitude. Perhaps I'm just being niave.

It's a difficult one.

i) You could have had a bigger wrist and needed those spare links it should have come with
    ii) You could have wanted the proper bracelet and not the other model's one
    iii) You could have been wanting it to be new with tags, when it clearly isn't

Therefore, on multiple counts the seller has not sold you what the seller said it was. However, you're not displeased with this outcome.

Therefore, I'd give the seller a chance to make good with the spare links and the proper bracelet if you want those, but I'd still suggest it's a 'neutral' feedback job as it's not at all as described, so future buyers should be warned. You can state the seller made good in your feedback, if the seller does indeed do so.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It's a difficult one.

i) You could have had a bigger wrist and needed those spare links it should have come with
    ii) You could have wanted the proper bracelet and not the other model's one
    iii) You could have been wanting it to be new with tags, when it clearly isn't

Therefore, on multiple counts the seller has not sold you what the seller said it was. However, you're not displeased with this outcome.

Therefore, I'd give the seller a chance to make good with the spare links and the proper bracelet if you want those, but I'd still suggest it's a 'neutral' feedback job as it's not at all as described, so future buyers should be warned. You can state the seller made good in your feedback, if the seller does indeed do so.
    He was given a bracelet worth about five times the value of the generic resin strap. I don't think the OP is feeling aggrieved here! Likely a mistake by the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    He was given a bracelet worth about five times the value of the generic resin strap. I don't think the OP is feeling aggrieved here! Likely a mistake by the seller.
    I do understand that, but it's not what was advertised. For collectors, that sort of originality matters and it could have mattered to the OP, and therefore is worth flagging to future buyers. It could have easily been a non-original strap worth less than the original one, if this seller is as careless as it seems.

Need to see how the seller addresses the OP's queries - might want the bracelet back!

Craftsman
    If your a collector, you may want to check out the lugs where the strap a]has been changed as those Casio spring bars tend to chew up the plastic if your not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    If your a collector, you may want to check out the lugs where the strap a]has been changed as those Casio spring bars tend to chew up the plastic if your not careful.
    My thoughts exactly! Try as I might I’ve never been able to fit a bracelet to a resin cased g shock without leaving some kind of mark (and that’s having experience, the right springbars and the right tools!) - the back of the plastic lugs are a matt finish and if the steel bar touches it, there’s a mark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk