closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Friday Watches - March 2021

Master

Friday Watches - March 2021

A little bit later than intended but unfortunately I had a kitchen to redecorate.

You might be upset to learn that, this month, I can offer you neither pies nor doughnuts, however I can offer you worms. Lots of lovely worms, but plenty more of them later.

March. It. Was. Massive.

I don't know what got into us, perhaps the joys of spring, or the promise of the first steps to the relaxation of lockdown restrictions. What ever the reason we wore watches, lots of watches. March saw a grand total of 737 watches posted across all four Fridays. This is by the far the most shown in a four week month and it gave the worst five week month a run for its money (January 2020 with 753 in case you were wondering). The result was a weekly average of 184.25, comfortably the highest yet.

To produce such a large monthly figure required some pretty big weekly numbers. We had not just one but two record weekly figures with the 12th of March seeing 190 watches posted and then the 19th we posted a stonking 198 watches. This makes me wonder if we can break the 200 barrier. I don't think it will take long if we carry on like this.

Looking at individual brands there were records galore too. Rolex recorded its highest weekly count for the year, equalling this year's highest weekly score from a brand (Seiko's 28). G shock, Timefactors, Tudor, Panerai and Vacheron also recorded their highest weekly counts for the year. Damasko, Moser and Timex went one step further recording their highest weekly scores (6, 3 and 2 respectively) since I started counting. Damasko and Moser translated their weekly highs to new monthly highs (17 and 5). Panerai and Tudor also became the 5th and 6th brands respectively to score more than ten in a week this year.

These record numbers translated into a healthy 134 brands, 29 new for the year and a further 10 new ones to the Friday thread. Among those new to the year were our first Stowa and Tutima as well as two Breguet and even a Rodiana. This month we welcomed Marc & Sons, 6B and even a mighty Emperor to the Friday thread.

The battle amongst the top three lacked some of the drama of previous months with Rolex taking first place each week, Seiko in second and Omega in third. But, as ever, there were a few surprises further down the table. Tudor have had quite the come back this month with a new monthly record of 39. Linde Werdelin's popularity seems to be on the increase as they too have also scored a new monthly high of 6. On the flip side Brietling are seeing a bit of a decline as are Grand Seiko which started the year off with a new record of 22 have now slipped to only 13. It is a similar story with IWC but they had an outstanding start to the year so this month's figures put them firmly in middle of last year's territory.

We had some lovely timepieces gracing the Friday threads in March. For me the notable ones were Alfat33's electronic Helvetia, Tetlee's Alexander Shorokhoff Regulator, Redwolf's vintage GP quartz, Bootsy's Lemania "Silverstone" and, perhaps the pick of the bunch, Kamakazie!'s 6B MkIII.

Well, that is the pre-amble over now to the numbers:

1 Rolex 110
    2 Seiko 90
    3 Omega 69
    4 Timefactors 42
    5 Tudor 39
    6 Panerai 32
    7 G Shock 17
    8 Damasko 17
    9 Breitling 14
    10 Sinn 13
    11 Grand Seiko 13
    12 IWC 11
    13 CWC 9
    14 Heuer 9
    15 Zenith 8
    16 Hamilton 7
    17 Vacheron Constantin 7
    18 Citizen 6
    19 Linde Werdelin 6
    20 Oceanx 6
    21 Newmark (Modern) 6
    22 Moser 5
    23 Vostok 5
    24 Glycine 5
    25 Sterile 4
    26 Blancpain 4
    27 Apple 4
    28 Oris 4
    29 Christopher Ward 4
    30 Jaeger-LeCoultre 4
    31 Audemars Piguet 4
    32 Tag Heuer 3
    33 Bulova 3
    34 Bell & Ross 3
    35 Garmin 3
    36 Hanhart 3
    37 Lorier 3
    38 Steinhart 3
    39 Yema 3
    40 Borealis 3
    41 Helson 3
    42 Ming 3
    43 Mondaine 3
    44 Universal Geneve 3
    45 Patek Philippe 3
    46 Tissot 3
    47 Habring 3
    48 Lemania 3
    49 Orient 3
    50 Helm 3
    51 Breguet 2
    52 Maurice La Croix 2
    53 6B 2
    54 Dunhill 2
    55 RLT 2
    56 Schofield 2
    57 Bremont 2
    58 Longines 2
    59 Melbourne Watch Co. 2
    60 Zelos 2
    61 Zeno 2
    62 Aevig 2
    63 Mido 2
    64 Wolbrook 2
    65 Timex 2
    66 Dekla 2
    67 Luminox 2
    68 Glaschutte Original 2
    69 Helvetia 2
    70 KMK 2
    71 Muhle 2
    72 Fortis 2
    73 Baume et Mercier 1
    74 Ebel 1
    75 Eterna 1
    76 Fit Bit 1
    77 Halios 1
    78 Jacques Le Mans 1
    79 Le Monde 1
    80 Maranez 1
    81 Movado 1
    82 Nodus 1
    83 Obris Morgan 1
    84 Ollech & Wajs 1
    85 Peerex 1
    86 Rodania 1
    87 Scurfa 1
    88 Seasonal 1
    89 Skmei 1
    90 Suunto 1
    91 Alba 1
    92 Baltany 1
    93 Benrus 1
    94 Breil 1
    95 Casio 1
    96 Certina 1
    97 Cronos 1
    98 Dan Henry 1
    99 Delvina 1
    100 Emperor 1
    101 Favre Leuba 1
    102 H2O 1
    103 Kingston Observatory 1
    104 L U Chopard 1
    105 Marc & Sons 1
    106 Neuchatel 1
    107 Steeldive 1
    108 Synchron 1
    109 Addiesdive 1
    110 Alkin 1
    111 Anordain 1
    112 Cartier 1
    113 Corum 1
    114 Doxa (modern) 1
    115 Ginault 1
    116 Laco 1
    117 Larsson & Jennings 1
    118 Pinion 1
    119 Pobeda 1
    120 Smiths 1
    121 Squale 1
    122 Alexander Shorokhoff 1
    123 Anonimo 1
    124 Archimede 1
    125 Briston 1
    126 Flotsam & Jetsam 1
    127 Girard Perigeaux 1
    128 Graovana 1
    129 Gruppo Gamma 1
    130 Jean Marcel 1
    131 MWC 1
    132 Nethuns 1
    133 Stowa 1
    134 Tutima 1

As mouth watering as the pies and doughnuts were they didn't really tell us much about how our preferences for watch styles changed over the months so I have reverted to the standard bar chart.

, on Flickr

As you can see there have only been minimal fluctuations over the last three months. I'll keep recording but I may not show this so regularly.

I know you have been eagerly waiting for them so here, finally, are the worms (no not those ones)(or those ones either). Any of you who has watched T20 cricket on the TV will be familiar with the Worm chart. This is a comparison of the two teams run rates throughout the innings. What with some brands seemingly starting off this year slower and other faster I thought I would compare this year's "wear" rate of some popular brands with last year's. Below are the results for some of the more popular brands. I hope that you find it interesting reading.

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

And now for something really interesting and more than a little bit strange. While compiling the Rolex worms I accidentally selected the weekly data instead of the cumulative data and it threw up this graph:

on Flickr

Which I thought was rather uncanny (at least up until Week 9). I thought I ought to investigate whether or not other brands displayed a similar pattern. Seiko seemed to although the 2021's pattern is advanced a week. As did Tudor if you ignore the outlier in Week 5 of 2020. Even Timefactors displays a similar trend.

, on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

Not all of the brands I looked at display similar traits.I can't explain what is going on. If anything it feels a little spooky. Perhaps a more experienced statistician will have an explanation. Or maybe most of us are creatures of habit and it is just an display of how mad this hobby is.

Anyway, time for a proper pie (Chicken Madras so perhaps not "proper" but at least it won't have worms).

Fabulous analysis. Thank you Sir.

Great work as always - I always look forward to these posts.

Am I alone in seeing if my watches sneak into the 1 category? I certainly spotted a couple in there.

I was quite surprised, though, to see Certina right down in the 1s as well! I thought they'd be better represented.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Thanks as always!

Love it! Thanks for doing this Wimm

Master
    Excellent analysis Wimm. If its any consolation I cant fathom the similarity in appearances in the year by year analysis. Pleased to see Timefactors performing strongly this year too.

Steve

Love this.

What I also find a little odd is that given we're all staying indoors far more we're actually all still wearing watches - and maybe even more. Although I guess it could just be that more of us have time on a Friday to take a pic and post it on here!

Either way thanks for the analysis. As a sports geek I love this sort of nonsense.

Great analysis Wimm and I love the charts.

In the spirit of Raffe’s financial analysis I have been trying to find explanations for the various weekly peaks and troughs that you discovered. The fact that they occur in an annual pattern, which is different for each brand, must mean something. So far I have discovered that:

Rolex: The big peak in Week 7 is just after Valentines Day. Clearly forumites are puffing out their chests with statement Rolexes as a display of the loved-up afterglow of their romantic trysts.

Seiko: The obvious explanation is the Sakura festive season which marks the seasonal cherry blossom. This starts in Okinawa in late January (Week 4) but really gets going on the mainland in early March (Week 9). The exact dates vary each year according to the climate.

Tudor: not so obvious to most of us, but Week 11 is a period of great significance to Tudor acolytes. Every year they remember March 15th as the day that Lady Mary Tudor (later Queen Mary I) rode through London with her retainers in a public display of her Catholic faith. At the time Catholicism was regarded as the junior branch of the Christian faith in England. In the same way, proud Tudor owners parade their watches in defiance of conventional belief that Tudor is somehow the junior branch of Wilsdorfism.

I haven’t tackled the last chart yet, but I’m hopeful that someone else has the balls to find that connection.

Excellent read - thanks for the continuing effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Great analysis Wimm and I love the charts.

In the spirit of Raffe’s financial analysis I have been trying to find explanations for the various weekly peaks and troughs that you discovered. The fact that they occur in an annual pattern, which is different for each brand, must mean something. So far I have discovered that:

Rolex: The big peak in Week 7 is just after Valentines Day. Clearly forumites are puffing out their chests with statement Rolexes as a display of the loved-up afterglow of their romantic trysts.

Seiko: The obvious explanation is the Sakura festive season which marks the seasonal cherry blossom. This starts in Okinawa in late January (Week 4) but really gets going on the mainland in early March (Week 9). The exact dates vary each year according to the climate.

Tudor: not so obvious to most of us, but Week 11 is a period of great significance to Tudor acolytes. Every year they remember March 15th as the day that Lady Mary Tudor (later Queen Mary I) rode through London with her retainers in a public display of her Catholic faith. At the time Catholicism was regarded as the junior branch of the Christian faith in England. In the same way, proud Tudor owners parade their watches in defiance of conventional belief that Tudor is somehow the junior branch of Wilsdorfism.

I haven’t tackled the last chart yet, but I’m hopeful that someone else has the balls to find that connection.
    Alfat , I just wish I had known you when I was presenting my monthly sales reports. You could have woven such an intricate web of distraction to explain why I was down 45% in certain markets :):):):)

I do love a good stat. Many thanks for this.

Oooh, graphs. Love em.

Great work as ever Wimm.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Alfat , I just wish I had known you when I was presenting my monthly sales reports. You could have woven such an intricate web of distraction to explain why I was down 45% in certain markets :):):):)
    You must have tried...we’re focusing on margins...bank holiday in key markets pushed sales into next quarter...look at the pacing in the last two weeks...or in desperation ‘we’ve just hired a new biz dev leader who is making real progress’.

Craftsman
    Thanks Wimm - loving the additional charts.

I'm very glad Alfat has found a rock solid explanation for the annual patterns, I was beginning to think something odd was going on!

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Excellent as always. Thank you :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Very interesting thanks

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Interesting analysis Wimm, and thank you for the effort.

Craftsman
    Thanks for compiling this analysis Wimm. Always interesting and appreciated.

Love these posts. Thank you.

Brilliant! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Nice one Wimm. Interesting as always and glad to see some appreciation for the 6b, it's a beaut.

Master
    I am glad you all enjoyed the analysis. I was a little worried I had gone overboard with the charts but it seems that, some of you at least, can't have too many.

I don't think you are far from the truth there. St. Valentine's in 2020 was on a Friday which shows as the large Week 7 peak in 2020. You have probably hit the nail on the head.

I've had another look and I wonder if the slightly cyclical nature of the peaks is related to the shop opening in some way. Perhaps the highest peak occurs a week after shop opening as members show off their latest purchases. Something to look into.
    Last edited by Wimm; 11th April 2021 at 21:11. Reason: SPAG

Best breakdown ever. Loving those stat graphs.

Hey and thanks for the special mention of my Regulator, happy you liked it.

Great work!

A fantastic breakdown as ever.
    Thank you for taking the time to collate the stats.

Excellent analysis, thank you so much for taking the time to do this.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Great stuff - always enjoy reading this.