closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP Royal Oak advice

AP Royal Oak advice

Hi,

I am hoping to get some thoughts from owners/past owners as I have not been able to handle one. I have been keen on trying one for a number of years. I am considering consolidating my collection and am now in a position, subject to a number of sales, to buy one thanks to an inheritance.

I would be looking second hand, would want the bracelet and think I prefer the blue dial.

What are they like to live with? I appreciate they are not big watches, I am generally happy with 36-40mm. I have had numerous Rolex, Omega, etc but not this brand.

They don't seem to come up on SC often, any advice on where I should be looking, other than the usual suspects?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Mark

Master
    As a disclaimer I do like AP !
    Key considerations for me are
    1) the finishing - makes the Rotal Oak. Real great, but does scratch up. Some see this is making it ‘yours’ others that it detracts from the look. Only you know which side of that you are in
    2) servicing not cheap
    3) not as robust as a Rolex but then how offer do you really abuse a watch anyway

Given size you are after it looks like a 15450 or 15300 is what you are after. I would go 15300, but for a blue one it is going to get a bit painful to source . Price going up and waiting list at AD’s

Good luck with the chase

Being someone that uses his watches and believes they should stand up to just as much abuse as the arm they are attached too, They’re just as robust as any other watch.

7.5 years on my 3120 Diver is going fine despite looking a little worse for wear being abused daily, (not just sat at a desk either), although i'ts daily duties have been superseded by another scratch magnet.
    F.piguet power 26300 worked perfectly fine for 5 years until i had the foolish idea to sell it to fund another watch.

Yes expensive to service but we are talking watches where the entry point is 20k now, so relatively speaking no more expensive than servicing an omega.
    AP list their servicing costs and maintenance schedule on their website (and have the savvy to list recommend service intervals based on wear, rather than time)
    Last edited by endo; 9th April 2021 at 19:07.

They are beautiful watches and hugely comfortable on the bracelet.

Scratches through wear go with the territory.

Whilst specs can indicate a fairly mainstream size, they do wear larger than their specs. I have a 15300 and it wears like a typical 41mm watch at the case and dial and bigger still at the lugs. Because of the integrated bracelet design you need a bigger wrist than the specs would suggest to allow the bracelet to sit and form correctly, otherwise it will look too big for the wearer. The majority of my watches range between 41-45mm and the 15300 at 39mm is the right RO for me with a 7" wrist.

Prices for all RO's are constantly moving upwards. I bought mine used but freshly AP serviced 2 years ago, I would need to pay at least double what I paid if i were looking to buy it now. Your preferred blue dial choice will require you to budget for the top end of whichever model reference you decide upon and will mean slimmer pickings regards availability.

Chrono 24 is good place to look.

Good luck with your search, you won't regret it, they are magnificent!
    Last edited by dustybottoms; 9th April 2021 at 21:59.

Master
    I have just been through a similar process where I sold two Rolex and put the funds towards a 3 week old 15450st, and don’t regret it one bit. As has been mentioned they wear bigger than their stated size, my 36mm is perfect for my 16cm wrist. The finish of the watch is just amazing, the bracelet is a work of art and the way the light catches and shimmers off it makes it look great. Feels great on the wrist too. My only word of caution would be if this is your only watch it definitely doesn’t feel as robust as a Rolex sports model which I just wear in every situation and not worry about. With the AP at the mo I take it off when doing the dishes!! Good luck with your search and please post pics when you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    I have just been through a similar process where I sold two Rolex and put the funds towards a 3 week old 15450st, and don’t regret it one bit. As has been mentioned they wear bigger than their stated size, my 36mm is perfect for my 16cm wrist. The finish of the watch is just amazing, the bracelet is a work of art and the way the light catches and shimmers off it makes it look great. Feels great on the wrist too. My only word of caution would be if this is your only watch it definitely doesn’t feel as robust as a Rolex sports model which I just wear in every situation and not worry about. With the AP at the mo I take it off when doing the dishes!! Good luck with your search and please post pics when you get it.

Very nice, looks superb!

Thanks for the comments.

Realising that I am going to struggle to find one. I must be out is touch on price, thought I would be able to get one c.£15k !

I like this one on Chrono24...

But suspect it may be the black sheep of the family. While I like the dial , does military work on a RO ? It dial seems to lack the texture which is a feature of the brand? Is it the cheapest one for these reasons?

Mark

I love the RO and it is the defacto SS Sports watch.

Love the industrial brutalist looks. Comfortable to wear although the braclet has no microadjustment. The level of detail and finishing is extraoprdinary and it looks like a special watch even to those without watch interests.

I have a 41mm Chrono on a 7 1/4 inch wrist. Wears big enough. If you are a 36mm man the 39mm is a good bet but very popular. This watch is supposed to be big on the wrist.

Michael’s thread has got me interested in the simple RO 3-handers again, but a quick check of C24 prices has cooled my interest. Maybe as I remember trying one on 10 years ago when RRP was closer to £10k, I should have nabbed one then. The exposed crown still makes me feel uneasy as do the poor WR, the scratch-magnet risk and AP’s servicing costs. But, I’ll still keep looking...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I’m looking now too! Maybe the ROO Diver - one slipped through my collection, but will try and source one again. The new ones have an new movement - but an equally new upward MRP (I think - I see they are 23K - gulp).