closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Phew! Watch resurrection success. Vintage Citizen 800m

Phew! Watch resurrection success. Vintage Citizen 800m

A couple of years ago my Citizen 800m Ti diver stopped working, I assumed a new battery was needed, but no, a new cell did nothing, a Google search made my heart sink, the 5503 Miyota movement is long obsolete and the movement was specific to the watch so no crappy donor watches out there, a lot of stories of people having these and no way to bring them back, there is a 5500 series of 4 movements that have common parts but all different for crown positions, day date functions etc.
    I recently sent it to Steve Burrage with the tale of woe and he wasn't optimistic, I just heard from him that its on its way back fully functional and fixed! A strip down and service has fixed whatever it was that had stopped it, a great relief, its one of my favourites and was a gift from a good friend.
    I also changed the cells in a pair of Hyperaqualands that have needed new batteries for many many years, they sprang right back to life, I wasn't optimistic they would as its been so long, the default year on them is 1990 We used to use these diving in the early 2000s before kids curtailed that activity.
    So Im pretty happy.

Last edited by JasonM; 9th April 2021 at 15:57.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Great news! I've always admired the 800m, an absolute classic in Citizen's back catalogue. Glad to hear yours has been fixed and you can enjoy it again.
    Wish Citizen would do a reissue...

That 800m is a great looking watch, great outcome

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I still use my Hyperaqualand for its intended purpose but the battery needs changing now and Citizen UK will no longer do the battery swap and reseal as they say they can't get the parts, I guess i need to find the tool for the caseback but the seals bother me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arcam; 9th April 2021 at 16:23.

Good result. I’ve always been tempted to source the 300m variant, but the worry of a failing movement has seen me pass on two or three over the years. Shame as they are cracking looking watches.

Thanks all, they are great watches, the 1300m in the family is the one to find, but extremely scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    I still use my Hyperaqualand for its intended purpose but the battery needs changing now and Citizen UK will no longer do the battery swap and reseal as they say they can't get the parts, I guess i need to find the tool for the caseback but the seals bother me.

The caseback is a standard diver back so a Jaxa style opener will do fine, and the seal shouldn't be a problem, pretty standard O ring, but I know what you mean. ( the battery is a CR2016 ) There is a weird battery clamp spider thing that is a little tricky to ping off but not too bad.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Thanks all, they are great watches, the 1300m in the family is the one to find, but extremely scarce.

The caseback is a standard diver back so a Jaxa style opener will do fine, and the seal shouldn't be a problem, pretty standard O ring, but I know what you mean. ( the battery is a CR2016 ) There is a weird battery clamp spider thing that is a little tricky to ping off but not too bad.
    I thank you sir.

Great news👍

Great looking watch. Glad it's back up and running. Always wanted once, hope they do a reissue of sorts like they have with the soon to come 1300m reissue.
    May I ask who did the work, I have an aqualand jp2000 that needs a new battery and reseal and it would be great to know it was in safe hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM35F View Post
    Great looking watch. Glad it's back up and running. Always wanted once, hope they do a reissue of sorts like they have with the soon to come 1300m reissue.
    May I ask who did the work, I have an aqualand jp2000 that needs a new battery and reseal and it would be great to know it was in safe hands.
    My watchmender guy is pretty much retired I’m afraid, he does the occasional piece for old customers but isn’t taking on new ones, he did the 800m, I did the digitals myself as it was just a battery and I don’t really need a reseal and test.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Great job on the 800m - I've also got one but the spring has gone on the bezel and to date I've not been able to find a spare.

Master
    Great news
    Superb tool watches

Thanks, I understand the bezel is accessed through the screws in lump at the 9 o’clock? I’ve never had to look at it. If it’s snapped, could it be laser welded?

Good news Jason.

It's amazing what some chaps can do nowadays to fix previously unrepairable quartz watches.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Cheers Neil.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Great piece. I had the 800m also, L2L is 48mm (like width) and narrowing toward the bezel tip so it was quite wereable for a big watch. Great looks with that mate titanium and black-gold combo, locked bezel, ...
    Mine had a problem with poor service from previous owner (second hand was way off) and the crown was all chewed up (only maybe ¾ of a screw left) so it was hard to find a spare one. My colleague contacted Citizen and managed to get a steel crown that fitted. He did a review on youtube-u and sold the watch afterwards...

And yes, 1300m is the grail but very very rare find, especially in good condition.

Wish the 300m is a little bigger, 41 for a tool diver (for me) is small, 44 is my sweet spot. But for anyone looking for a quartz beater in this size, I d say, go for 300m, watch looks great and can be found

Two phottos I still keep...

New reinterpretations coming...not true true divers (only 200m) but are inspired by the looks of 800m Citizen Promaster (bezel and machined numbers on bezel insert). On the other hand, duratec titanium, sapphire crystal and new antimagnetic Citizen/Miyota 9051 28800bph seems quite interesting for a nice casual beater

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koriste?i Tapatalk

Certainly some of the DNA in those, thanks for the post.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    New reinterpretations coming...not true true divers (only 200m)
    How deep are you planning on going?
    200m is plenty waterproof, and divers on the dial indicates iso diver...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    How deep are you planning on going?
    200m is plenty waterproof, and divers on the dial indicates iso diver...

Dave
    Well, 50m is then more then enough I guess...

Or why getting a 1000m diver?
    Last edited by martyloveswatches; 19th May 2021 at 06:53.