closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s your most exciting recent watch purchase?

What’s your most exciting recent watch purchase?

For a lot of us it seems that the huge thrill of earlier purchases can be a little lacking. Indeed with lockdown, and a lot more online buying there’s somewhat of a disconnect in the purchase compared to being offered Champagne and treated well, especially for some luxury brands, but much more budget friendly purchases, or finally tracking down a particular watch/model can be equally exciting for their own reasons.

So...

I was just wondering what recent watch purchase ignited that old excitement, and why.

I’ll hopefully be able to add my own in the next week :)

Nothing that would excite those who get the call, but it is pleasing when a WTB turns something up. It wasn't on here, but on Watchuseek from a UK seller who had been a member for 11 years but had only managed 4 posts in all that time. I had done a WTB for the Steinhart Ocean Two first incarnation which was discontinued several years ago.

This guy contacts me and was the dream 'one owner', who had bought the watch new direct from Steinhart in 2014 and when given the choice between bracelet and black leather strap with Steinhart buckle he had paid extra for both. He had kept everything together and the whole package was in superb condition. He claimed to have only worn it a few times and that certainly showed.

I couldn't believe the condition and after wearing it for 24 hours checked the timing and it was less than half a second out. I don't think I've had Rolex that accurate. Just a perfect purchase and at a very good price too.

Not to everyone's taste, but it ticked my boxes which is all that matters. A very happy camper as they say and it proves that decent watches and deals are still out there.

I have used the last year in lock down 'constructively' and tracked down a few watches I have been after for a while, I have looked forward to each of them arriving for diffrent reasons. - rarity, gap in collection, thrill of the chase, impulse buy...

However, I have been looking forward to todays arrival for a while. The Synchron Army diver. This is the first brand new watch I have had for a few years (I collect vintage mostly) and it was quite nice to be the first to open the box, open the straps etc. I have not done that for a while.

Over the last year of lockdown, I've sold up my 2 Rolex watches and now have only a collection of Omega watches....Globemaster, Seamaster 300 Coaxial and a Speedmaster Mk 2. Think I'm done...for now!

This one, the Fortis Cosmonauts Chronograph.
    My first time handling a watch with the Lemania 5100 movement, something I've wanted in my collection for years now.
    It's not perfect, but I got it at a decent price with box and papers. Put it on the time-grapher yesterday and pleasantly surprised to see +2/+4 spd.

it's also exciting because, for the first time in a long time, I feel a theme forming at the core of my collection: pilot / tool style chronographs. Gives the hobby a bit more purpose and passion.

Blog Entries
    Following a recent Seiko dress watch purchase, I found myself looking at loads of YouTube videos and decided I had to satisfy my long-held desire for a GS. What really surprised me was that I thought I wanted a Spring Drive or possibly a High Beat but, after seeing videos extolling the virtues of their HAQ movements, I wanted one of those more than any other. Also decided it had to be in the GS44 case and so a new SBGP001 arrived Wednesday and I'm chuffed to bits with it. I simply cannot believe the finish which is better than anything I've had before including Panerai and Rolex.

However, my excitement for that pales by comparison to the anticipation I have for the Damasko DC86 orange that should (hopefully) be with me within the next couple of weeks. I'm like a child on the night before Christmas for that one.

Craftsman
    The 6B Scramble I got from here after a prospective PM. I missed the original run and have been looking for one since I first saw it.
    It's such a good, low production piece I wasn't expecting to see any come up - And to top it off, it was a solid case back version and basically looked unworn!

They are all exciting when I get them but definitely lose their allure once I have owned them a few weeks.

It was ever thus.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    They are all exciting when I get them but definitely lose their allure once I have owned them a few weeks.
    Strangely, I've found that a little with the last two watches I've bought during lockdown - I wouldn't say I'm disillusioned but the excitement hasn't lasted very long.

I suspect (and hope) it's temporary and due to lockdown fatigue contributing to this, that and the fact that some days, I don't even wear a watch, something I would never have considered 12 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

I’ll hopefully be able to add my own in the next week :)
    Not sure an Aston Martin counts !

I'm still waiting on my first exciting watch purchase, hopefully next year.

Craftsman
    Speedmaster with Hesalite. Bought about a month ago. Still haven’t worn, waiting for shops to open to get bracelet sized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Not sure an Aston Martin counts !

I'm still waiting on my first exciting watch purchase, hopefully next year.
    Oh, it’s watch related. Nothing too fancy, but something I’ve commented on a lot when ones been shown or for sake, and a watch I’ve wanted badly since I first saw it, fingers crossed - I’m excited now, but I have to wait until/if it actually arrives :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    MrsV bought a silver dial oysterquartz on easter Monday.
    I shall bore you with the story.

I had a Buckley dial OQ that I quite literally never got to wear because as soon as I arrived home with it, magpie features descended so it was immediately sized to her wrist, but she wasn't a fan of the dial.
    She wore it for the length of my ownership but then wanted a Chanel J12 for herself "to go with my handbag"
    I took the opportunity to pounce on a J12 that Paul had listed on SC for her, and at the same time extricate MY OQ as I wanted to part ex it against the 16610 spider that I still have.
    She's worn the J12 for ages but hasn't forgotten, or stopped moaning about the Oysterquartz going.
    She's just sold some of her Chanel bits and bags so had a watch pot ready.
    She had a very specific remit of wanting a silver dial all steel classic 17000 so I fired off some messages to folk I knew who had one, but nobody was selling.
    Mithering intensified and I had a look on eBay to see what the state of some of the ones on there were in.
    Found a fresh listing of an oq that I recognised. It was KeithT's old one that had the movement and dial replacement that had been on SC ages ago.
    The ebay seller had his phone number on the listing so MrsV rang him and it was still available.
    At this point I just got into the shower.
    Cue long conversation with MrsV while im in the shower and having to constantly wipe a steam porthole while she's freaking out because she's never bought a watch before that wasn't from Next (god forgive her) and is having a total panic and doing the "what if I bottle it when we get there?" "its a 4 hour drive!" "YOU DO THIS I DONT DO THIS" etc etc while im standing there starkers and covered in shower gel trying to get her to a) calm down and b) stop flapping and c) get out of the bathroom.

Bundled her into the car along with an Easter egg to calm her nerves and also stfu and drove to Lincoln where she met up with the fella and came home with Keiths old OQ.

(Wasn't a tz-er, eBay guy had taken it in part-ex for one of his watches and valued it just under where it was on SC so there was no profiteering involved just in case the forks come out)

She's spent all of this week gazing at it lovingly and prinking. And announcing random OQ facts she's got from youtube videos.

Its lovely to see actually, and reminds me of the days when jumping in a car to drive hours and meet up with strange blokes in shady places was a novel experience :D

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Nothing particularly exciting to report personally, but that was a great story Verv - got a good couple of lolz reading it!

Master
    All this points to what I’ve seen with my partner.....a tendency to see watches as accessories which match other fashion items.

But then my partner chose her car for the colour, and still doesn’t know what size the engine is. I wonder how much manufacturers are aware of this view of the world.

Yesterday in a random conversation with an AD I was told they still had a Tudor North Flag.
    This morning I went to buy it... and was quite excited. I wasn’t expecting to be but the old buzz was there.
    A new, discontinued watch and with a discount. I even bought an expensive coffee and had a cigar to celebrate!
    Felt like old times.

Craftsman
    I haven't bought a watch for I think well over a year, possibly 2! I've been really happy with what I have and anything I'd want to add to my collection seems out of reach - namely from a brand that would require me buying a load of things I don't want to get on a waiting list, or requiring me to pay substantially above RRP.

However I recently started a new job with a better salary and a commission scheme which is more lucrative than bonus in previous role. I closed my first deal and had one thing in mind - a Rolex GMT. Ideally I wanted a Rootbeer, but would.habe settled for any version as I love them all! Having the extra money and sold my Tudor GMT, I had enough to pay RRP. However having asked around I got nowhere (unsurprisingly). However I was offered a 126234. At 36mm it's a great size for me and I LOVE the blue dial. I've also been really impressed with the way the AD has dealt with my initial enquiry (absolutely no snootiness, just been really nice) around the Rootbeer and offered alternatives. I am now booked in to collect my new 126234 in a couple of weeks when stores are allowed to open. I'm really excited and sure it will be have been worth the wait! The best part is, it is not so expensive that I need to sell or p/x my Tudor 79280 to get it, which I really didn't want to do.

So, in short - I don't have a recent exciting purchase, but expect to have one very soon!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    It should be this...deposit paid and confirmation from my local AD that one has been reserved for me.

The last email i got was middle of Feb stating it should be here by the end of March however no sign so just keeping my fingers crossed as they have never let me down before.

Last edited by mjc1216; 9th April 2021 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    All this points to what I’ve seen with my partner.....a tendency to see watches as accessories which match other fashion items.

But then my partner chose her car for the colour, and still doesn’t know what size the engine is. I wonder how much manufacturers are aware of this view of the world.
    I can think of one very famous Swiss brand who most certainly are. "Movement? What's that? I want the olive dial."

Master
    I’d been buying Omega product for years, always had one since prob 2000- Realised that I was buying them out of boredom rather than actually looking forward to the next incoming. Had always admired Panerai from afar and decided to take the plunge- Not evryones cup of tea but picked up this 2007 daytime model, been in a private collection, Alligator strap not even been worn, literally could of passed as a new watch.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Master

I had a Buckley dial OQ that I quite literally never got to wear because as soon as I arrived home with it, magpie features descended so it was immediately sized to her wrist, but she wasn't a fan of the dial.
    She wore it for the length of my ownership but then wanted a Chanel J12 for herself "to go with my handbag"
    I took the opportunity to pounce on a J12 that Paul had listed on SC for her, and at the same time extricate MY OQ as I wanted to part ex it against the 16610 spider that I still have.
    She's worn the J12 for ages but hasn't forgotten, or stopped moaning about the Oysterquartz going.
    She had a very specific remit of wanting a silver dial all steel classic 17000 so I fired off some messages to folk I knew who had one, but nobody was selling.
    Mithering intensified and I had a look on eBay to see what the state of some of the ones on there were in.
    Found a fresh listing of an oq that I recognised. It was KeithT's old one that had the movement and dial replacement that had been on SC ages ago.
    The ebay seller had his phone number on the listing so MrsV rang him and it was still available.
    Cue long conversation with MrsV while im in the shower and having to constantly wipe a steam porthole while she's freaking out because she's never bought a watch before that wasn't from Next (god forgive her) and is having a total panic and doing the "what if I bottle it when we get there?" "its a 4 hour drive!" "YOU DO THIS I DONT DO THIS" etc etc while im standing there starkers and covered in shower gel trying to get her to a) calm down and b) stop flapping and c) get out of the bathroom.

Bundled her into the car along with an Easter egg to calm her nerves and also stfu and drove to Lincoln where she met up with the fella and came home with Keiths old OQ.

(Wasn't a tz-er, eBay guy had taken it in part-ex for one of his watches and valued it just under where it was on SC so there was no profiteering involved just in case the forks come out)

She's spent all of this week gazing at it lovingly and prinking. And announcing random OQ facts she's got from youtube videos.

Its lovely to see actually, and reminds me of the days when jumping in a car to drive hours and meet up with strange blokes in shady places was a novel experience :D
    I traded the oysterquartz against a non date sub with the same guy in Lincoln (Michael) I also saw your WTB and your Sorted post. I thought to myself I wonder if he has struck a deal in Lincoln with the same guy!! Small world.

Master
    That is bloomin' lovely, & the green Toshi? suits it superbly.
    If you ever....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    I’d been buying Omega product for years, always had one since prob 2000- Realised that I was buying them out of boredom rather than actually looking forward to the next incoming. Had always admired Panerai from afar and decided to take the plunge- Not evryones cup of tea but picked up this 2007 daytime model, been in a private collection, Alligator strap not even been worn, literally could of passed as a new watch.

[IMG] [/IMG]
    Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Had been looking for a 590, saw this advertised and instantly was hooked, really is a stunning watch in the flesh.

Black/blue stitching is a Toshi also, both straps look stunning on it- Just ordered an OEM rubber strap in military green, should look lovely.

Can’t see it going anywhere but you never know

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    That is bloomin' lovely, & the green Toshi? suits it superbly.
    If you ever....

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The last watch I bought was a Casioak. Oct 2019 I was in Bangkok for work and had a day spare. I mapped out every watch shop I wanted to stop at for a general browse but also mapped in some shops that sold Casio. I trapsed across most of Bangkok and my final stop was the Casio shop in Central World. I managed to get the last Casioak they had, which was on display. So nothing too exciting but a great way to end a fun day.

Journeyman
    Recently purchased a Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Moonphase (42mm).

Last edited by kostal2093; 9th April 2021 at 21:10.

Two words. Linde Werdelin. Got my first a few weeks ago (brand new old stock GMT biformeter) and loved it so much it was followed by a second GMTshortly after. I have never done that before. They are very different from my usual preference and much bigger than what I'm used to but they are certainly exciting to me and dare I say good value?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    I traded the oysterquartz against a non date sub with the same guy in Lincoln (Michael) I also saw your WTB and your Sorted post. I thought to myself I wonder if he has struck a deal in Lincoln with the same guy!! Small world.
    That's the fella! He was really pleasant.
    Small world indeed, I did initially wonder if he was a tzer on ebay but no.
    Glad it's back in the microcosm :-)

Hate to admit but the most exciting purchase is always the next one for me...

I’ll know in few days when it’ll arrive.

I have caught the Seiko bug again after many years. I would equate the brand to Mercedes who make small vans to hyper cars and everything inbetween, all with a well perceived level of quality and reliability.

I bought an sbdx001 off sales corner recently and then bought a Sbnn015 to make the perfect pair of Marinemaster 300s.

I also think there is something cool about having an expensive watch with Seiko on the dial, the ultimate two fingers to brand snobbery.

Great story C. I agree, it’s nice when the novelty of tracking something down hasn’t worn off!

Simon

I haven’t bought a watch for about 6 months, but the last one I purchased is certainly something I’m still quite excited by.

The watch in question is an OceanX Sharkmaster 1000, which is a dead ringer for a James Cameron Deepsea Sea Dweller. I principally bought it to find out if I wanted a JC - what I had not expected was that it would punch so far above its weight.

Always nice when something so thoroughly exceeds one’s expectations!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    I was always the same, but a lot of the time there was very little excitement, just an impulse to buy. I’m determined to change that - at least from next year onwards lol

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I’ll know in few days when it’ll arrive.
    I’m in exactly the same boat. I’ll see if my expectations are reached or exceeded :)

I’m loving some of these anecdotes. Some great stories and experiences.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    As I buy most of my watches second hand and usually from auction sites there is always a frissant of excitement when buying them. Firstly during the auction with the uncertainty of winning and secondly on arrival when discovering whether or not the watch is any good.

Most of my purchases have been fairly impulsive, if there is money in the pot and I like the look of it I'll have a go. However, like Derivative above, there is a distinct theme (or perhaps sub collection) developing. The latest purchase (currently languishing in the sorting office waiting for me to pay customs charges) is the most exciting as it fills a gap I had created two years ago. It is a yellow dialled Seiko H556-510B, sometimes referred to as a baby Arnie due to it's similarity to the original Arnie. Although Silverwaves tend to be slightly sportier versions of standard Seikos their style tends to be slightly conservative. This model caught my eye as it is a long way from that with a bright yellow dial (there is also a mint green dial but those are really quite rare) and thus the gap in the collection was created.

This model doesn't appear very often and because of the association with the Arnie prices are strong even for the tattier ones. So after a year or two of patiently waiting for the right one this one pops up. Advertised as junk as it isn't working but it looks to be in very good nick so I took a punt in it. I won it without getting to my limit which allowed me to buy a different model but with a working movement. Sometimes with these junk watches it is just a case of popping in a new (or correct battery) but I have the means and ability to swap out the module for a working one if required.

It'll arrive on Monday and the excitement is building. The anticipation of discovering just what I have bought is higher than with most of my other purchases. Now I need to go and do something to take my mind off of it.

Blog Entries
    My most recent exciting pick up was October last year, my 126655. Bought from an AD with no buying history. Very pleasant experience and they ensured I had the correct blades fitted ready for me for pick up in store.

I have bought (and sold) some watches since then, but the YM40 RG has been my recent highlight. I probably won’t ever be happy, but am gradually consolidating numbers down as my pieces seem to be becoming more costly.

My next hope is a AP RO or AP ROO diver (latest version). I think the only cure would be cold turkey from this website.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Lol, I'm only a fairly recent watch enthusiast, but this is me definitely.
    Bought 5 last year which was more than I had in the previous 10 years altogether but always looking at the next one

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Have a few new incomings recently but this one really got the pulse rate up.

20210403_154939 by ataripower, on Flickr

For me it’s this.

Not a CW fan previously but I think the fact that I paid a price that I thought was a lot of watch for the money plus lockdown boredom all added up to much excitement!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Not a CW fan previously
    Neither was I until recently, but CW has stepped up its quality game. And I’ve warmed up to them (enough to buy one). While every micro-brand and his dog can make watches look good online, I was delighted at CW’s exceptional finishing in the metal. CW is a brand on the up.

And your SuperCompressor has got to be one of CW’s hits from the last year.

Sinn EZM1

I previously owned one back in early 2000s my girlfriend at the time, now the missus, went halves with me as I didn't have enough money. My interest in watches dwindled after our first born as my priorities had changed so sold most of my collection with just Rolex GMT remaining.

I never lost my interest in watches but now that the kids are pretty much grown up & we are in a much better financial position, for the past 2 years I re-started building a up modest collection.

I should have got one of these earlier when they were much cheaper but, hey ho, I've got it now & can't wait till it's back from service.

The only picture I have of me wearing my previous EZM1. Sorry I had to crop our faces, wifeys orders, plus you probably wouldn't want to see my ugly mug...

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Neither was I until recently, but CW has stepped up its quality game. And I’ve warmed up to them (enough to buy one). While every micro-brand and his dog can make watches look good online, I was delighted at CW’s exceptional finishing in the metal. CW is a brand on the up.

CW have never gotten their due. From early days, I find them quite well made.
    Am glad finally they are getting the appreciation they deserve.

This one. After a lifetime wearing big heavy watches, something this light and comfortable has come as a welcome surprise. I love it.

Craftsman
    This one that arrived last month.

Missed out on picking up the non limited edition only to be able to pick up this week's later.

Since then I've been hunting others ones from the Chronometre Royal series over the year.

Though when the Minute Repeater arrives, not sure anything will top that.

Master
    Last one in a few months back. Saw these when they were first released and waited a few years for a decent used one to come along. Something a little different. Very solidly built and has a feel of quality. Miyota 9015. Even though the rotor only winds in one direction, it seems to wind as quickly if not faster than a 2824 or 4r35.

These, the Damasko DC56 and Sinn U1

Both brands I avoided as they were mid price, so still expensive by normal standards and potentially an opportunity cost for something better.

The DC56 is unexpectedly perfect in all respects. The U1 fits svelte wrist me, and pulls off the trick of being a diver of original design, and I love its finishing and heft

Dave

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post

The ever moving logo is their one major fault. Their watches for the money are pretty hard to beat. Bought my 6th last night

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Seiko SRPC 91

I miss the number of shady deals done round mine :(

Watches were all great, i enjoyed the banter and gossip more LOL.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    I miss the number of shady deals done round mine :(

Watches were all great, i enjoyed the banter and gossip more LOL.
    Im coming up soon to see if I can get Laings to sort my Mil bracelet for me now the world has opened for a while, coffee/beer!

Im coming up soon to see if I can get Laings to sort my Mil bracelet for me now the world has opened for a while, coffee/beer!
    Nice, just shout me :)
    I'll either pop down into town, or feel free to stop by a re-create some car park magic.