closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP Prince Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    One of the last WWII veterans and certainly did his bit in the war.

An old school Gentleman and a rock to HM the Queen.

RIP.
    +1

RIP

Master
    I am 72 years of age and I just cannot remember any part of my life without the Queen and Prince Philip being on the throne. Indeed one of my first childhood memories was my parents taking me to the cinema to see the coronation on an extended Pathe News.

Life will not be the same without the Duke being around.

RIP.

RIP Prince Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    You really haven't come out of this well. I'd keep your head down if I were you.
    If you actually review this thread, one person told another person to be more respectful.

I stepped in and questioned why I needed to be respectful to a person who had made numerous racist and xenophobic comments throughout his life. Something my father or grandfather would have never done or contemplated.

No matter what you think of my attitude to the Royals, I have free speech to call a spade a spade whether you like it or not.

Now trot along and not try to casually censor me please.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If you actually review this thread, one person told another person to be more respectful.

I stepped in and questioned why I needed to be respectful to a person who had made numerous racist and xenophobic comments throughout his life. Something my father or grandfather would have never done or contemplated.

No matter what you think of my attitude to the Royals, I have free speech to call a spade a spade whether you like it or not.

Now trot along and not try to casually censor me please.
    No I was trying to casually point out that your post was crass and also pitiful since 90% of it wasn’t remotely racist just a bit dull. Oh and I just don’t believe you if you claim that you grandfather didn’t use language and express views that today would raise eyebrows. On that point you are either blinkered or lying. Different times. Or perhaps Phil was a contemporary of your great grandfather. Who knows.
    Last edited by Padders; 9th April 2021 at 23:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Oh and I just don’t believe you if you claim that you grandfather didn’t use language and express views that today would raise eyebrows. On that point you are either blinkered or lying. Different times. Or perhaps Phil was a contemporary of your great grandfather. Who knows.
    I really don’t give a crap what you believe.

But don’t tell me that in the old days my relatives were casually xenophobic, and hence my respect is due.

As mentioned earlier, do not casually try to censor me.

RIP Prince Philip

Nobody is trying to censor anyone. Your views are your views. However posting such views on what is basically a condolences thread on the date of his death beggars belief. Genuinely staggered that you think that’s fine.

If you felt the view you hold needed aired then sure crack on. Just maybe think twice before doing so on his RIP thread.

Monarchy and religion : two parasitic cancers, repressing mankind.

No human is majestic. No human is royal. No human should be considered higher than another, neither by accident of birth nor by marriage.

A privileged royal has died. So what? Another one will be along shortly, having lived a long, happy life on public money.

Res publica.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Blog Entries

But don’t tell me that in the old days my relatives were casually xenophobic, and hence my respect is due.

I don't think many would give a crap what you believe, going on the comments on here. You just sound like someone taking cheap shots at somebody who has died to be honest.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

RIP Prince Philip

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I don't think many would give a crap what you believe, going on the comments on here. You just sound like someone taking cheap shots at somebody who has died to be honest.
    You are a bore.

As I have told you in the past I have received PMs telling me you are a bore.

I agree with them.

Now butt out.

Blog Entries
    You are a bore.

As I have told you in the past I have received PMs telling me you are a bore.

I agree with them.

Now butt out.
    I've received a few about you as well. They were right as well. Butt out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Monarchy and religion : two parasitic cancers, repressing mankind.

No human is majestic. No human is royal. No human should be considered higher than another, neither by accident of birth nor by marriage.

A privileged royal has died. So what? Another one will be along shortly, having lived a long, happy life on public money.

Res publica.
    Enjoy your Vostoks ... and your Rolexes ;) ... surprised you have the latter ... surely a little too ostentatious for someone with your 'one size fits all' view of the world?
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

My favourite Royal by a country mile - RIP Fella

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    RIP Prince Philip
    My condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and her family.
    I have no doubt that she will greatly miss her "Shadow" in life.
    As an ex Guardsman and a strong believer in our Monarchy, I shall raise a glass and wish him "Bon Voyage"

To those of you who have shown nothing but disrespect and bad mouthed him, I say SHAME on you
    Well Said Sir, thank you for your service.
    Shame on those who have no morals.
    One should Never speak ill of the Dead.
    If it wasn’t for His Royal Highness and the likes of my Dad who fought in the war, you wouldn’t be able to be saying such disrespectful things about him.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My favourite royal.

Met him years ago when I completed my gold DOE. So much interest in what we all did through our skills & expeditions. Great man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    RIP.
    I understand that he was both approachable and down to earth.
    Both my parents were proud to have met him, though it did help that my father was at that time a station commander in the RAF.
    And they were also proud to display pictures of themselves with him at home.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Bye bye Phil, you big daft racist – I won't miss you.
    Being called a racist, especially in these strange, tilted "woke" times, is highly offensive. Shame it can't be made a "hate" crime.

So easy to say, so little substance or education needed...

Thanks Stephen & Mick.

It's sad, but not surprising, that only a very small minority have to ridicule a person who has now died and can't reply back.
    Though, I strongly suspect he would give far better account of himself than the few narrow minded individuals who have replied on this thread.

And let's not forget, that if it hadn't been for Prince Phillip and hundreds of thousands like him, who fought and died for this country, that these individuals are able to express themselves without fear of retribution. In some parts of the world, to slang of a "Head of State" or President may well result in them disappearing forever, or sentenced to life of hard labour!

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Being called a racist, especially in these strange, tilted "woke" times, is highly offensive. Shame it can't be made a "hate" crime.

Very true. The trouble is, these days you (or in this case Philip) can be an important link for improving the infrastructure, education, medical services etc etc to many small island and Commonwealth countries, thus improving the lives of millions. But it will all be ignored by the wokerati if you make the odd uncomfortable remark.
    Unfortunately it's what you say, not the countless good things you do that matters to these poor shallow creatures.

A lot of his comments were racist, ergo …

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Enjoy your Vostoks ... and your Rolexes ;) ... surprised you have the latter ... surely a little too ostentatious for someone with your 'one size fits all' view of the world?
    Especially with the little crown being proudly displayed!!!

Prince Philip was not afraid to speak his mind or offend people.

His comments after the Dunblane Massacre were nonsensical and very insensitive to the parents of the children who died.

The only person I've known that spoke to him said he was the rudest person they'd ever met.

I very much doubt he cared what people said about him when he was alive and I doubt he'd have worried what they'd say about him after his death.

He had a great innings at 99 and lived a life of great privilege. He also worked until his mid 90s and sacrificed a lot in service to this country in WW2 and as the Duke of Edinburgh. His achievements should be rightly be recognised.

He grew up in different times and had a very difficult start in life. Still some of his comments were beyond justification but others I find quite amusing and refreshing. I hope his dry sense of humour was taken in the right way in these instances.

This thread is not the place for a one sided character assassination of Philip but if you don't want to risk being offended then I would recommend avoiding the bear pit.

RiP Philip and thank you for your service.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 10th April 2021 at 14:58.

Craftsman
    He was a marvellous gent. Greatly loved by his family and the nation. RIP.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Prince Philip was not afraid to speak his mind or offend people.

His comments after the Dunblane Massacre were nonsensical and very insensitive to the parents of the children who died.

The only person I've known that spoke to him said he was the rudest person they'd ever met.

I very much doubt he cared what people said about him when he was alive and I doubt he'd have worried what they'd say about him when he died.

He had a great innings at 99 and lived a life of great privilege. He also worked until his mid 90s and sacrificed a lot in service to this country in WW2 and as the Duke of Edinburgh. His achievements should be rightly be recognised.

He grew up in different times and had a very difficult start in life. Still some of his comments were beyond justification but others I find quite amusing and refreshing. I hope his dry sense of humour was taken in the right way in these instances.

This thread is not the place for a one sided character assassination of Philip but if you don't want to risk being offended then I would recommend avoiding the bear pit.

RiP Philip and thank you for your service.
    No doubt the usual people are having a field day there.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    No doubt the usual people are having a field day there.
    How does one cease to be a member in that section?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    How does one cease to be a member in that section?
    Get banned for 'playing the man' is one reason apparently.....

Master
    Shame his last years were marred by one of his useless sons getting exposed for being closely linked to a peodohile.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Shame his last years were marred by one of his useless sons getting exposed for being closely linked to a peodohile.
    At least try to spell it correctly if you really need to introduce it, although I can't see why it's relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    A very apt picture I feel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Link..."I recognised that it was a human moment. She was giggling like a little girl and he was laughing too."

The man is innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Thanks Stephen & Mick.

It's sad, but not surprising, that only a very small minority have to ridicule a person who has now died and can't reply back.
    Though, I strongly suspect he would give far better account of himself than the few narrow minded individuals who have replied on this thread.

And let's not forget, that if it hadn't been for Prince Phillip and hundreds of thousands like him, who fought and died for this country, that these individuals are able to express themselves without fear of retribution. In some parts of the world, to slang of a "Head of State" or President may well result in them disappearing forever, or sentenced to life of hard labour!
    You’re most welcome Fella
    Yep easy to be keyboard warriors. With no fear of retribution.

Master
    [QUOTE=Yorkshiremadmick;5722315]You’re most welcome Fella

Why should there be retribution for expressing one’s opinion? Should freedom of speech only apply to those who echo your views?

Being called a racist, especially in these strange, tilted "woke" times, is highly offensive.
    Being a racist is highly offensive.

If the cap fits...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    The man is innocent.
    So certain?

Are you innocent or are you guilty of being a previously banned member with the username Ally, now returned under a different username but spouting the same old bile?
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 10th April 2021 at 21:52.

Master
    I think you may be right on the "useless" part, but possibly not on the assumption that Andrew is one of Philip's sons. I would say that he's at least innocent until proven guilty, though.

Some random facts about Prince Philip.

The Duke learned to fly all types of aircraft. He gained his RAF wings in 1953, his helicopter wings in 1956 and his private pilot's licence in 1959. Prince Philip achieved 5,986 hours in 59 types of aircraft. The Duke's final flight was on 11th August 1997 from Carlisle to Islay, following which he has stopped flying.

The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme and International Award were founded by the Duke to introduce young people to new experiences, including physical, skills-based and community challenges. Since 1956 more than four million young people from over 90 countries have taken part.

The Duke of Edinburgh is a prolific writer on environmental, technological, equestrian and animal subjects. His books include: Selected Speeches 1948-1955 (1957); Birds from Britannia (1962); Down to Earth (1988); and Survival or Extinction: A Christian Attitude to the Environment (1989). Down to Earth is even available in Japanese.

Prince Philip has accompanied The Queen on all 251 of her official overseas visits.

To date His Royal Highness has fulfilled over 18,567 official engagements excluding those accompanying The Queen, an average of 371 each year. In 2001 he undertook 363 solo engagements in the UK and abroad.

The Duke of Edinburgh takes a hands-on approach to the organisations which he represents. He has chaired over 1,454 meetings.

Science and technology are a major interest. Prince Philip has been Patron of the Industrial Society since 1952 and has visited research stations, laboratories, and every kind of workplace throughout Britain. In 1976 he initiated the Fellowship of Engineering, now the Royal Academy of Engineering, which promotes engineering excellence and education.

Care of the environment has long been one of The Duke of Edinburgh's greatest interests. The Duke was the first President of the World Wildlife Fund-UK from its foundation in 1961 to 1982, was International President of WWF (now World Wide Fund for Nature) from 1981 to 1996, and is now President Emeritus. He has visited WWF projects in over 40 countries on five continents.

The Duke of Edinburgh is a veteran public speaker. His Royal Highness has made 4,632 speeches at meetings, conferences and receptions - an average of around eight speeches a month for 50 years.

Prince Philip is Patron or President of 814 organisations. The longest-standing association is with the Federation of London Youth Clubs, of which His Royal Highness became Patron in 1947. He has been President of the National Playing Fields Association since 1948.

The Duke of Edinburgh has undertaken 223 solo visits to 67 Commonwealth countries, and 385 visits to 74 other countries; an average of 12 countries per year.
    By any measure he has worked extremely hard and met literally innumerous people in his public service of over 70 years. To denigrate him for having made some gaffes during that time is a very sad reflection on how some people regard the man.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Being a racist is highly offensive.

If the cap fits...

R
    ...but only if the cap genuinely fits.
    It's easy to accuse someone (anyone) of being one thing or another (racist, anti LBGT, a bully etc.) and it can be difficult to disprove, particularly while we live in times of such heightened sensitivity that almost anything that someone disagrees with can, apparently, cause offence.
    Last edited by Stanford; 10th April 2021 at 22:18.

59 aircraft types? That is remarkable. OCU’s couldn’t have been what they are now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Bye bye Phil, you big daft racist – I won't miss you.
    Your ignorance is stunning....His work with the Commonwealth over the last 70 years has done more for race relations than anyone I can think of.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Some random facts about Prince Philip.

By any measure he has worked extremely hard and met literally innumerous people in his public service of over 70 years. To denigrate him for having made some gaffes during that time is a very sad reflection on how some people regard the man.

R
    That is irrelevant. Sad no-marks everywhere are right to ignore his achievements and focus on his occasional verbal overshare since every single thing in his life should be held up to ridicule in the more enlightened and perfect society in which we now live. Thank heavens that we no longer need people with a sense of collective duty or service since now it is everyone for themselves and the entitlement culture is king.

Blog Entries

Frankly, you don't need be censored, your colours on the mast come out loud and clear.....
    We have indeed free speech, but some just come across ''less nice'' than others..
    Get it ??
    Last edited by ingenioren; 11th April 2021 at 18:00.

[QUOTE=seabiscuit;5722320]
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    You’re most welcome Fella

Why should there be retribution for expressing one’s opinion? Should freedom of speech only apply to those who echo your views?
    I am all for free speech. But the vile nature of people’s comments on an R.I.P is wholly distasteful and very disgusting. By all means start a new thread by saying
    Why I hate .......
    But honestly on a Rest in Peace one. No.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Frankly, you don't need be censored, your colours on the mast come out loud and clear.....
    If you read this particular thread through from the start you will see that one person asked another person to be respectful, because they didn’t like a particularly edgy comment.

I didn’t make that comment, but took umbrage at this and asked why I needed to be respectful to a person who had been so disrespectful to others on many occasions throughout his life. And then listed his disrespectful quotes to back that up point of view up.

I have read nothing on this thread that is vile or out of order. And I do not see that we have to be mandated to be respectful, as if it is our duty.

The colours on my mast are most definitely loud and clear, and I will state it again, I will not be respectful to a person who had not demonstrated respect himself.

Now calm down and move on.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    ....I will not be respectful to a person who had not demonstrated respect himself.

And you didn’t choke on the irony when you wrote that? Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    And you didn’t choke on the irony when you wrote that? Amazing.
    I see no irony, just even more forum respect police who can’t let it go.

As I said, move on.

Anyone know why his correct title appears to be THE Prince Philip?
    Charles is just Prince Charles.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That is new to me. Do you have a source? Could just be a journalistic slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Possibly because Charles was born a prince, whereas Philip received the title later in life? Don't know if this is right, but makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    That is new to me. Do you have a source? Could just be a journalistic slip.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...e_of_Edinburgh

Or on the bus shelters!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Possibly because Charles was born a prince, whereas Philip received the title later in life? Don't know if this is right, but makes sense?
    He was born a Prince, but not an English one.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    He was born a Prince, but not an English one.
    Yes, he was Prince Philip twice!