closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Prince Philip

99 was a very good knock. My condolences are to our Queen and her family. RIP

Craftsman
    We knew it was coming, but still a shock when it happens.

Craftsman
    Controversial but very impressive, and tough as old boots. Must have been hard work playing second fiddle to the Queen when he’s such a dominant character. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

One of the last WWII veterans and certainly did his bit in the war.

An old school Gentleman and a rock to HM the Queen.

RIP.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

RIP Sir.

Master
    RIP Prince Phillip.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    No state funeral, no lying-in-state. At his request.
    State funeral always unlikely. Queen Mother didn’t have one.

A very apt picture I feel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    One of the last WWII veterans and certainly did his bit in the war.

An old school Gentleman and a rock to HM the Queen.

RIP.

This!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

RIP sir .

Craftsman
    RIP showed the young people how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    RIP

I've been reading through his history of totally non pc gaffe's, whilst grinning from ear to ear.

I usually stay out of RIP threads and am not too interested in royalty, but Prince Philip was different. May he rest in peace and my condolences to the Royal Family and the people of the commonwealth.

Never met the man but I got quite choked hearing the announcement. I liked the way he never seemed to take himself seriously and his curmudgeonly manner made me laugh over the decades.

RIP

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    RIP to a true gentleman.

Some here should be ashamed of themselves for their comments.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Why should I? He never did.

1963: While visiting Paraguay in 1963, he told dictator Alfredo Stroessner, "It's a pleasure to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people."

1966: Despite being married to Queen Elizabeth since 1947, he quipped, "British women can't cook," a line that has gone down in history as one of his most memorable.

1967: When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union that year, he replied frankly, "I would like to go to Russia very much—although the bastards murdered half my family," referencing the many royals who were executed by the Bolsheviks in 1918 during the Russian Revolution.

1969: After Tom Jones performed at the 1969 Royal Variety Performance, the Duke shared a joke with the singer, asking, "What do you gargle with, pebbles?"

1976: During a trip to Canada, he bluntly stated, "We don't come here for our health—we can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."

1981: During the recession, unemployment rose from about 5% to 11%. Philip's response? "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."

1986: While visiting a British student in China in 1986, he quipped, "If you stay here much longer, you'll go home with slitty eyes."

His controversial remarks were taken a bit further that same year during a World Wildlife Fund meeting when he said, "If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an airplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."

1988: He provided some interesting commentary upon seeing the Duke and Duchess of York's Sunninghill Park home, noting, "It looks like a tart's bedroom."

1994: During a trip to Belize in 1994, the Duke interrupted a conversation between the Queen and her hosts, yelling from the deck of the Britannia, "Yak, yak, yak! Come on, get a move on."

1997: When welcoming German Chancellor Helmut Kohl at the trade fair that year, he referred to him as "Reichskanzler." The last German leader to use that title was Adolf Hitler.

During that same year, he also called an elderly park attendant a "bloody, silly fool" when he did not recognize the Duke.

1999: While meeting British politician John Taylor—whose parents are from Jamaica—the Duke asked, "And what exotic part of the world do you come from?" Just so you know, Taylor replied that he was from Birmingham.

2001: A 13-year-old boy expressed his dreams of traveling to space one day to which Philip responded, "You're too fat to be an astronaut."

At Sir Elton John's Royal Variety Performance that same year, he was heard muttering, "I wish he'd turn the microphone off."

2002: The family of Stephen Menary, a teenage army cadet who was blinded in an IRA bombing, was invited to meet the Queen and her husband at a tree planting event in Hyde Park. After the Queen asked the 15-year-old how much sight he had left, the Duke of Edinburgh responded: "Not a lot, judging by the tie he's wearing." Oof!

That same year, he asked Australian aboriginal leader William Brin, "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

2003: The Queen and Philip attended a Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Abuja, Nigeria, which marked the Queen's first visit in 47 years. They were greeted by Nigeria's President Olusegun Obasanjo, who was wearing a traditional robe. Philip quipped: "You look like you're ready for bed."

2009: During a Buckingham Palace reception to honor 400 influential British Indians, he told an Indian executive named Atul Patel, "There's a lot of your family here tonight," after seeing his name badge.

2012: The Duke met David Miller, a disabled man who was driving a mobility scooter at the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge in March 2012. He asked Miller, "How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?"

2013: He met Malala Yousafzai, who survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban due to her desire to gain an education and has now dedicated her life to promoting girls attending school without fear. Despite her history, Philip told her, "[Children] go to school because their parents don't want them in the house." Cringe.

2017: He paid a visit to the Charterhouse almshouse for elderly men earlier this year, and when he met one pensioner, he quipped, "You look starved."

On Marriage: Finally, one of his undoubtedly most famous quotes was about marriage in which he stated, "When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife."
    Now list what you've done for the county.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using TZ-UK mobile app

A story my grandad, who was of a similar age and outlook to Philip told me.

He worked in Rail manufacturing many years ago and at one point in his career a the Duke of Edinburgh was coming to the factory where he worked on an official visit. For weeks leading up to the visit my grandad and others were told to repaint, and improve up the main entrance to the plant. Pretty cheesed off they they begrudgingly did as told, following orders from above. Vast amounts of money and time was spent to give Prince Philip the best impression of the place.

On his arrival the Price decided he would rather choose his own entrance to the factory asked to be shown in via another entrance, and never saw any of the grand entrance that had created for his arrival. Much to the delight of my grandad who seemed to dislike factory management and quite enjoyed 'go where I want' attitude of the Duke.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    A true war hero and gentleman. A very sad day for the Royal family and the country.
    RIP Philip.
    ( Despicable and unwarranted comments by some on here)
    Hear hear, R.I.P.
    A great man & character - brought much 'colour' into the Royal family

( there are always some clueless dumbos in class ! )

Giant of a man, and in addition to his service to Queen and country he was decades ahead of the rest of the world when it came to conservation and climate change. I'm not a royalist, but I felt this - RIP, Prince Philip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    He clearly divided opinions, but however dated his views may have been, there is no doubt whatsoever that the man led a long life of devoted service, to his family, the Royal Family as an institution, and the country as a whole.
    There are very many that would do well to learn from such dedicated, steadfast service.
    RIP
    I could not have possibly put my thoughts into words any better than this,

RIP Prince Philip

Master
    RIP Prince Philip.

What a great chap.

I believe that the title of Duke of Edinburgh will fall on Edward's shoulders eventually.

scooter

RIP Prince Philip
    My condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and her family.
    I have no doubt that she will greatly miss her "Shadow" in life.
    As an ex Guardsman and a strong believer in our Monarchy, I shall raise a glass and wish him "Bon Voyage"

To those of you who have shown nothing but disrespect and bad mouthed him, I say SHAME on you

Master
    I never saw him as a royal, just an old school gentleman. His “gaffes” were the result of doing something utterly boring and a way of injecting some humour in to the day. People don’t like it then fuck them 👍. RIP indeed.

You might want to remove that....GD not BP

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    RIP Prince Philip.

What a great chap.

I believe that the title of Duke of Edinburgh will fall on Edward's shoulders eventually.

scooter
    Well if that is the case I hope my daughter will finish her silver DoE before it happens
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Well if that is the case I hope my daughter will finish her silver DoE before it happens
    Why?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    RIP Prince Philip
    My condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and her family.
    I have no doubt that she will greatly miss her "Shadow" in life.
    As an ex Guardsman and a strong believer in our Monarchy, I shall raise a glass and wish him "Bon Voyage"

To those of you who have shown nothing but disrespect and bad mouthed him, I say SHAME on you
    Very well said Tony.

RIP Prince Philip.

I read that he did over 21,000 solo engagements. Fantastic commitment. I fondly remember doing the DoE scheme at school along with many of my classmates.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post

scooter
    Phew, there’d be a few nervous teenage girls completing DoE awards if Randy Andy got the gig.

It will not happen Marc - Princes Trust has been changed significantly on the back of the scandal and the title will probably be taken by Prince Edward (according to commentators).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It will not happen Marc - Princes Trust has been changed significantly on the back of the scandal and the title will probably be taken by Prince Edward (according to commentators).
    Isn't that what was said?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I think my daughter greatly admired HRH Prince Philip and was excited she could have met him on completion. While this will not happen now, I think she may want to get her Silver under the "real DoE", so before the title is reattributed.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

RIP Sir.
    I hope you still have a damn big grin on your face when you rock up to the pearly gates, you've given enough of us cause to smile over the years. True class.

RIP. They don’t make them like him anymore.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Very well said Tony.

RIP Prince Philip.

I read that he did over 21,000 solo engagements. Fantastic commitment. I fondly remember doing the DoE scheme at school along with many of my classmates.
    As an ex Rifleman he was our colonel in chief for many years, I'll raise a tot to him tonight.

Craftsman
    RIP His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

A real gent and character ahead of his time for environmentalism, industry and opportunities to the young. A naval hero too, a committed husband and great servitude to the U.K.

Some on here need to hang their heads in shame for their despicable comments. We all seem to love posting up RIP posts and celebrate the lives of all manner of people, but never before has it been more apt to say if you have nothing decent to say don’t say anything at all.

Master

1963: While visiting Paraguay in 1963, he told dictator Alfredo Stroessner, "It's a pleasure to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people."

1966: Despite being married to Queen Elizabeth since 1947, he quipped, "British women can't cook," a line that has gone down in history as one of his most memorable.

1967: When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union that year, he replied frankly, "I would like to go to Russia very much—although the bastards murdered half my family," referencing the many royals who were executed by the Bolsheviks in 1918 during the Russian Revolution.

1969: After Tom Jones performed at the 1969 Royal Variety Performance, the Duke shared a joke with the singer, asking, "What do you gargle with, pebbles?"

1976: During a trip to Canada, he bluntly stated, "We don't come here for our health—we can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."

1981: During the recession, unemployment rose from about 5% to 11%. Philip's response? "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."

1986: While visiting a British student in China in 1986, he quipped, "If you stay here much longer, you'll go home with slitty eyes."

His controversial remarks were taken a bit further that same year during a World Wildlife Fund meeting when he said, "If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an airplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."

1988: He provided some interesting commentary upon seeing the Duke and Duchess of York's Sunninghill Park home, noting, "It looks like a tart's bedroom."

1994: During a trip to Belize in 1994, the Duke interrupted a conversation between the Queen and her hosts, yelling from the deck of the Britannia, "Yak, yak, yak! Come on, get a move on."

1997: When welcoming German Chancellor Helmut Kohl at the trade fair that year, he referred to him as "Reichskanzler." The last German leader to use that title was Adolf Hitler.

During that same year, he also called an elderly park attendant a "bloody, silly fool" when he did not recognize the Duke.

1999: While meeting British politician John Taylor—whose parents are from Jamaica—the Duke asked, "And what exotic part of the world do you come from?" Just so you know, Taylor replied that he was from Birmingham.

2001: A 13-year-old boy expressed his dreams of traveling to space one day to which Philip responded, "You're too fat to be an astronaut."

At Sir Elton John's Royal Variety Performance that same year, he was heard muttering, "I wish he'd turn the microphone off."

2002: The family of Stephen Menary, a teenage army cadet who was blinded in an IRA bombing, was invited to meet the Queen and her husband at a tree planting event in Hyde Park. After the Queen asked the 15-year-old how much sight he had left, the Duke of Edinburgh responded: "Not a lot, judging by the tie he's wearing." Oof!

That same year, he asked Australian aboriginal leader William Brin, "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

2003: The Queen and Philip attended a Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Abuja, Nigeria, which marked the Queen's first visit in 47 years. They were greeted by Nigeria's President Olusegun Obasanjo, who was wearing a traditional robe. Philip quipped: "You look like you're ready for bed."

2009: During a Buckingham Palace reception to honor 400 influential British Indians, he told an Indian executive named Atul Patel, "There's a lot of your family here tonight," after seeing his name badge.

2012: The Duke met David Miller, a disabled man who was driving a mobility scooter at the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge in March 2012. He asked Miller, "How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?"

2013: He met Malala Yousafzai, who survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban due to her desire to gain an education and has now dedicated her life to promoting girls attending school without fear. Despite her history, Philip told her, "[Children] go to school because their parents don't want them in the house." Cringe.

2017: He paid a visit to the Charterhouse almshouse for elderly men earlier this year, and when he met one pensioner, he quipped, "You look starved."

On Marriage: Finally, one of his undoubtedly most famous quotes was about marriage in which he stated, "When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife."

You sound like some sort of champion of the snowflake generation. Clown

RIP Sir.

I was fortunate enough to meet him twice, both eventful. The first occasion was when he presented new standard (flag) to the RAF Sqn I was flying with. Following the ceremony, and late in the afternoon, there was a Meet & Greet in the Officers' Mess. I was in the toilets when he came in and I happened to mention that their was a 24hr bar known as the Scruffs Bar (where we aircrew types could go in our flying suits after flying and debrief over a beer); he simply replied, 'I need to see that and approve it.' We went and as he was finishing his half-pint one of his security staff entered in a huge panic and 'suggested' he should re-join the Meet & Greet. He was great fun and engaged with everyone.

The second occasion was when he was staying in the Station Commander's house at a Scottish RAF base. His security detail went to his room to wake him at an un-Godly early time to find his bed empty. A major security incident ensued and he was found about 2hrs later walking along a huge expanse of beach on his own and unbothered. He joked that it was the longest he's been on his own in decades and was just enjoying the freedom and scenery.

My experience of him was as an extremely engaging, humorous individual who was clearly an unbelievable support to the Queen and dedicated to public service and wasn't afraid to, occasionally, cut his own detail.
    Last edited by Skier; 10th April 2021 at 00:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    You sound like some sort of champion of the snowflake generation. Clown
    Au Contraire. I piss myself laughing every time I read them.

It is like a Bernard Manning guilty pleasure.

Craftsman
    A sad day indeed. RIP and commiserations to Her Majesty and family.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    A real gent and character ahead of his time for environmentalism, industry and opportunities to the young. A naval hero too, a committed husband and great servitude to the U.K.

Some on here need to hang their heads in shame for their despicable comments. We all seem to love posting up RIP posts and celebrate the lives of all manner of people, but never before has it been more apt to say if you have nothing decent to say don’t say anything at all.

Very much this.

Some of the comments on this thread are shocking and a small reflection of the type of people that live amongst us. All quite sad really.

RIP.

I think my daughter greatly admired HRH Prince Philip and was excited she could have met him on completion. While this will not happen now, I think she may want to get her Silver under the "real DoE", so before the title is reattributed.
    I think he may have stopped presenting the DoE awards. My son did his Gold a couple of years back and got to meet Edward. Imagine his disappointment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Bye bye Phil, you big daft racist – I won't miss you.
    What a crass and ridiculous thing to say.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Some of the comments on this thread are predictably offensive, and hypocritical as they show the same disrespect they accuse Prince Philip of, a man who served his country with distinction in WWII, and did so much afterwards for many causes, including young people through the Duke of Edinburgh scheme, and help to found the WWF.
    This. Those being nasty will never do as much for others as he did.

Blog Entries

What a sad life you must have.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What a sad life you must have.
    I wondered when Victorian Dad would turn up to chastise the non-believers.

Master
    You really haven't come out of this well. I'd keep your head down if I were you. Or as already noted, feel free to list your achievements that exceed his. You don't have to be an ardent Royalist to see a life of service when you see it.

Master
    I’m a Republican, I see no justification for the Royal family. But whatever I think of them, I also feel sorry for an elderly woman faced with the loss of her husband of seventy-odd years. Doesn’t matter if it’s the Queen or one of my neighbours. Loss is loss.

Blog Entries
    I feel sorry for you chap. You must have a pretty poor outlook on life. I hope things improve for you.