closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Prince Philip

RIP Prince Philip

A colourful character who will be much missed. RIP

Colourful, indeed. R.I.P. Philip. We'll miss your gaffes.

Our roads are a little safer today...

Seriously though, definitely one of the more interesting Royals, and I feel sorry for the Queen who will miss him dearly. RIP, and condolences to his family.

Not unexpected but I feel for the Queen, especially after Harry and Meghan have been giving the family a good kicking recently, RIP Prince Philip.

RIP I always liked him, my sincere sympathies to the Queen.

Philip was great so this is genuinely sad news. Good innings though and he did the U.K. proud over the years.

May he rest in peace.

Bye bye Phil, you big daft racist – I won't miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Even if true - that’s surely a bit crass saying that on a RIP thread?

Shame on you. Show some respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Far too young. RIP

Journeyman
    Rip. Interesting character, he will be remembered.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Far too young. RIP
    lol

Queen's single, lads.

Nicely written tribute by the Beeb. Presumably prepared in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Far too young. RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    lol
    Queen's single, lads.
    Tw@ts.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 9th April 2021 at 17:22.

Funeral should be interesting for a few reasons

RIP Prince Philip.

A true war hero and gentleman. A very sad day for the Royal family and the country.
    RIP Philip.
    ( Despicable and unwarranted comments by some on here)

A good age and I will miss him, his unwavering loyalty and support to the Queen was a credit to him.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

RIP Prince Philip

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Show some respect.
    Why should I? He never did.

1963: While visiting Paraguay in 1963, he told dictator Alfredo Stroessner, "It's a pleasure to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people."

1966: Despite being married to Queen Elizabeth since 1947, he quipped, "British women can't cook," a line that has gone down in history as one of his most memorable.

1967: When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union that year, he replied frankly, "I would like to go to Russia very much—although the bastards murdered half my family," referencing the many royals who were executed by the Bolsheviks in 1918 during the Russian Revolution.

1969: After Tom Jones performed at the 1969 Royal Variety Performance, the Duke shared a joke with the singer, asking, "What do you gargle with, pebbles?"

1976: During a trip to Canada, he bluntly stated, "We don't come here for our health—we can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."

1981: During the recession, unemployment rose from about 5% to 11%. Philip's response? "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."

1986: While visiting a British student in China in 1986, he quipped, "If you stay here much longer, you'll go home with slitty eyes."

His controversial remarks were taken a bit further that same year during a World Wildlife Fund meeting when he said, "If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an airplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."

1988: He provided some interesting commentary upon seeing the Duke and Duchess of York's Sunninghill Park home, noting, "It looks like a tart's bedroom."

1994: During a trip to Belize in 1994, the Duke interrupted a conversation between the Queen and her hosts, yelling from the deck of the Britannia, "Yak, yak, yak! Come on, get a move on."

1997: When welcoming German Chancellor Helmut Kohl at the trade fair that year, he referred to him as "Reichskanzler." The last German leader to use that title was Adolf Hitler.

During that same year, he also called an elderly park attendant a "bloody, silly fool" when he did not recognize the Duke.

1999: While meeting British politician John Taylor—whose parents are from Jamaica—the Duke asked, "And what exotic part of the world do you come from?" Just so you know, Taylor replied that he was from Birmingham.

2001: A 13-year-old boy expressed his dreams of traveling to space one day to which Philip responded, "You're too fat to be an astronaut."

At Sir Elton John's Royal Variety Performance that same year, he was heard muttering, "I wish he'd turn the microphone off."

2002: The family of Stephen Menary, a teenage army cadet who was blinded in an IRA bombing, was invited to meet the Queen and her husband at a tree planting event in Hyde Park. After the Queen asked the 15-year-old how much sight he had left, the Duke of Edinburgh responded: "Not a lot, judging by the tie he's wearing." Oof!

That same year, he asked Australian aboriginal leader William Brin, "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

2003: The Queen and Philip attended a Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Abuja, Nigeria, which marked the Queen's first visit in 47 years. They were greeted by Nigeria's President Olusegun Obasanjo, who was wearing a traditional robe. Philip quipped: "You look like you're ready for bed."

2009: During a Buckingham Palace reception to honor 400 influential British Indians, he told an Indian executive named Atul Patel, "There's a lot of your family here tonight," after seeing his name badge.

2012: The Duke met David Miller, a disabled man who was driving a mobility scooter at the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge in March 2012. He asked Miller, "How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?"

2013: He met Malala Yousafzai, who survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban due to her desire to gain an education and has now dedicated her life to promoting girls attending school without fear. Despite her history, Philip told her, "[Children] go to school because their parents don't want them in the house." Cringe.

2017: He paid a visit to the Charterhouse almshouse for elderly men earlier this year, and when he met one pensioner, he quipped, "You look starved."

On Marriage: Finally, one of his undoubtedly most famous quotes was about marriage in which he stated, "When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife."
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 9th April 2021 at 13:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Nicely written tribute by the Beeb. Presumably prepared in advance.
    RIP indeed

I suspect he outlived some of those who wrote his obituaries!

RIP. A solid stalwart to the Queen, quite measured when it came to some the problems the family has faced. He served his country and will be missed by the Queen.

I rarely comment on others posts and stay away from the BP as that place seems to bring out the worst in people, but some of the comments about his passing are particularly crass, if not offensive.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gerard; 9th April 2021 at 13:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Funeral should be interesting for a few reasons
    Funeral at sea? It's what he would have wanted, probably.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Rest in Peace Sir.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

1963: While visiting Paraguay in 1963, he told dictator Alfredo Stroessner, "It's a pleasure to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people."

1966: Despite being married to Queen Elizabeth since 1947, he quipped, "British women can't cook," a line that has gone down in history as one of his most memorable.

1967: When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union that year, he replied frankly, "I would like to go to Russia very much—although the bastards murdered half my family," referencing the many royals who were executed by the Bolsheviks in 1918 during the Russian Revolution.

1969: After Tom Jones performed at the 1969 Royal Variety Performance, the Duke shared a joke with the singer, asking, "What do you gargle with, pebbles?"

1976: During a trip to Canada, he bluntly stated, "We don't come here for our health—we can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."

1981: During the recession, unemployment rose from about 5% to 11%. Philip's response? "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."

1986: While visiting a British student in China in 1986, he quipped, "If you stay here much longer, you'll go home with slitty eyes."

His controversial remarks were taken a bit further that same year during a World Wildlife Fund meeting when he said, "If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an airplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."

1988: He provided some interesting commentary upon seeing the Duke and Duchess of York's Sunninghill Park home, noting, "It looks like a tart's bedroom."

1994: During a trip to Belize in 1994, the Duke interrupted a conversation between the Queen and her hosts, yelling from the deck of the Britannia, "Yak, yak, yak! Come on, get a move on."

1997: When welcoming German Chancellor Helmut Kohl at the trade fair that year, he referred to him as "Reichskanzler." The last German leader to use that title was Adolf Hitler.

During that same year, he also called an elderly park attendant a "bloody, silly fool" when he did not recognize the Duke.

1999: While meeting British politician John Taylor—whose parents are from Jamaica—the Duke asked, "And what exotic part of the world do you come from?" Just so you know, Taylor replied that he was from Birmingham.

2001: A 13-year-old boy expressed his dreams of traveling to space one day to which Philip responded, "You're too fat to be an astronaut."

At Sir Elton John's Royal Variety Performance that same year, he was heard muttering, "I wish he'd turn the microphone off."

2002: The family of Stephen Menary, a teenage army cadet who was blinded in an IRA bombing, was invited to meet the Queen and her husband at a tree planting event in Hyde Park. After the Queen asked the 15-year-old how much sight he had left, the Duke of Edinburgh responded: "Not a lot, judging by the tie he's wearing." Oof!

That same year, he asked Australian aboriginal leader William Brin, "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

2003: The Queen and Philip attended a Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Abuja, Nigeria, which marked the Queen's first visit in 47 years. They were greeted by Nigeria's President Olusegun Obasanjo, who was wearing a traditional robe. Philip quipped: "You look like you're ready for bed."

2009: During a Buckingham Palace reception to honor 400 influential British Indians, he told an Indian executive named Atul Patel, "There's a lot of your family here tonight," after seeing his name badge.

2012: The Duke met David Miller, a disabled man who was driving a mobility scooter at the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge in March 2012. He asked Miller, "How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?"

2013: He met Malala Yousafzai, who survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban due to her desire to gain an education and has now dedicated her life to promoting girls attending school without fear. Despite her history, Philip told her, "[Children] go to school because their parents don't want them in the house." Cringe.

2017: He paid a visit to the Charterhouse almshouse for elderly men earlier this year, and when he met one pensioner, he quipped, "You look starved."

On Marriage: Finally, one of his undoubtedly most famous quotes was about marriage in which he stated, "When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife."
    Did you prepare this in advance, ‘in case of...’ or did you quote another writer. If you’ve written this all since he passed away... Well, in that case I would guess that you’re obsessed with the shortcoming of this man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    A true war hero and gentleman. A very sad day for the Royal family and the country.
    RIP Philip.
    ( Despicable and unwarranted comments by some on here)
    My thoughts also - RIP His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

Blog Entries
    Sad news for the Queen and the family. She must be devastated. A good innings, but a family loss is always painful.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    T***s.
    You might want to edit that, this being a public area of the forum.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Some of the comments on this thread are predictably offensive, and hypocritical as they show the same disrespect they accuse Prince Philip of, a man who served his country with distinction in WWII, and did so much afterwards for many causes, including young people through the Duke of Edinburgh scheme, and help to found the WWF.

If you are not capable of showing respects to a person on their passing you are not in a nice place.
    God help if people on your passing only outline your faults not your service.
    So again SHOW SOME RESPECT.

Master
    RIP Sir.

Long live the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    but some of the comments are particularly crass, if not offensive.
    I know, Phil never had the best way with words.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    A colourful character who will be much missed. RIP
    Already posted here https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hilip-Has-Died

R.I.P Prince Philip
    You said what you thought.
    Though not everyone would always agree.
    Good innings Sir 1921~2021 at least Covid dint get you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I know, Phil never had the best way with words.
    I have edited my post. My words were not in anyway aimed at Philip.

Enough of your mischief making.

Master

Some of these have actually endeared him to me slightly. Most of them are harmless and good-humoured.

Not surprised but saddened for our Queen.

Unquestionable service and duty to our monarch, country and Commonwealth.

I will raise a glass and smoke a cigar tonight from the wedding gift he never received.

RIP Prince Philip

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Twats.
    If I'm making off-colour remarks and slightly offensive jokes, please console yourself with the fact that it's what he would have done.

Rip - although a controversial public character. He was still a long standing husband, father and grandfather who will be dearly missed I'm sure. Let's not forget one of the few remaining veterans of ww2 as well.

RIP Phillip

Genuinely sad to hear this, so close to his 100th too. For me he was the Royal I really admired.

RIP old fellow you'll be sorely missed by many.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Not surprised but saddened for our Queen.

Unquestionable service and duty to our monarch, country and Commonwealth.

I will raise a glass and smoke a cigar tonight from the wedding gift he never received.

RIP Prince Philip

I think I will join you Jason,in spirit, though sadly I don't have such a fantastic humidor.
    Best
    G.

I'm not sure what to think, 99 is a good life (well lived in his case) and he's not been well for a while.

Although, it's always a little sad not to reach 100 when you get that close, wouldn't you have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Liz's card arrived?

I suspect the Queen will miss him greatly, though.

Interesting to see TV's response - BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C5 - wall-to-wall coverage of his passing (not sure both BBC channels need to be covering the same thing, along with BBC News, I assume)

C4? Pro-Celebrity Shag Island Gold or somesuch - Fairly clear how they stand on the Monarchy... I seem to recall them being launched to promote quality commercial TV and the arts, obviously that remit is long since forgotten.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 9th April 2021 at 14:05.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm not sure what to think, 99 is a good life (well lived in his case) and he's not been well for a while.

I suspect the Queen will miss him greatly, though.

Interesting to see TV's response - BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C5 - wall-to-wall coverage of his passing (not sure both BBC channels need to be covering the same thing, along with BBC News, I assume)

C4? Pro-Celebrity Shag Island Gold or somesuch - Fairly clear how they stand on the Monarchy...

M
    Agree, not sure why has to be on BBC1 and BBC2, if people want to see the coverage they can always use the remote. Hope Eastenders is still on.

A good all round horse man too.
    Driving his steeds here.
    IMG_3154.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Given the current situation it'll have to be a small ceremony, immediate family and a limited number of friends won't it...just 30 people according to the guidance so it would seem.
    Last edited by Passenger; 9th April 2021 at 14:16.

My favourites quotes from him are two-fold:
    - The first one, to a driving instructor in Scotland: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?"
    - the second one was told by a long serving servant in Windsor Castle who had just written his memoirs, on the radio: when he was younger and waitering his first official dinner, he was so nervous that he lost his balance for a fraction of a second and the dish he was holding to HRH the DoE tilted and spilled some of its content onto the table. He was completely mortified and felt that everyone was looking at him. But before he had even started to apologise Philip took the blame for the mishap by saying "Oh, how clumsy of me!" (from memory, the actual words may have been different), thus saving the young waiter from further humiliation and a serious dressing down from the head of staff. I thought it was a real classy move.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Given the current situation it'll have to be a small ceremony, immediate family and a limited number of friends won't it...just 30 people according to the guidance so it would seem.
    No state funeral, no lying-in-state. At his request.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    No state funeral, no lying-in-state. At his request.
    Good man and a good innings too.

A very good innings and real character to the end; a sad day for the Queen.

RIP.

I think he had a great sense of humour. One of the few royals I had a little respect for.

He clearly divided opinions, but however dated his views may have been, there is no doubt whatsoever that the man led a long life of devoted service, to his family, the Royal Family as an institution, and the country as a whole.
    There are very many that would do well to learn from such dedicated, steadfast service.
    RIP