closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Prince Philip Has Died

Master

Prince Philip Has Died

Didn't think he had much longer left. Never a fan myself, but important news.

Craftsman
    Quite a shock actually, I thought he would get to 100.

Master
    Yes that is a shame, I must say. Only had a couple of months to go.

Master
    not a fan but a father and husband and served in the forces. My daughter will prob find the funeral interesting if it is a State one. Coffin on a gun carriage and horse with the riders boots reversed in the stirrups or is that used for other occasions? Might be a quiet affair at Balmoral or sandringham. these things are thought about in advance

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Yes that is a shame, I must say. Only had a couple of months to go.
    Yes, looking forward to a card from the Queen.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 9th April 2021 at 18:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, looking forward to a card from the Queen.
    Didn't even need a stamp, or just a stamp by itself would have done.
    Shame he didn't hit the ton. My Dad would have been 100 in Feb as well.

Master
    I must say I'm surprised by the extent to which this news has dominated the broadcast media in the UK today. From a few minutes after the news broke every BBC radio station I'm aware of switched to a simultaneous obituary programme lasting hours. Perhaps the Radio 1Xtra listeners enjoyed their opportunity to be listening to Sir Nicholas Soames' memories of Prince Philip from the 1960s, but they could always have switched to Radio 4.

Of course it's big news but I expected extended news programmes and an obituary programme in the evening, not absolutely nothing else for hours on end. Even when R2 and R6 switched back to playing music in the early evening they were playing sombre tunes with presenters speaking in subdued reverent tones.

Can't imagine what it will be like when the Queen passes on. Anyway I hope that won't happen for a good few years.

The beeb have went OTT on this.
    Sad news and a great military man but he had a bloody good innings.
    I'm pretty sure most of the population are not royalists too....

Cheers,

Adam.

Blog Entries
    What a sad thread full of sad comments by sad people.
    About a man who fought in the Second World War, who supported the Queen throughout their marriage, who did so much for young people, who did more for this country than they ever will.
    Sad.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Some of the ‘jokes’ and memes I’ve seen about this already just shows the world, and the people in in for what it is nowadays.
    Just trying to get likes, for what they are worth (nothing) and trying to impress.
    Not everyone I know, but still very disappointing.
    If you didn’t think much of him, just say nothing and move along.
    RIP From me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What a sad thread full of sad comments by sad people.
    What, this one? I don't think anyone's been disrespecful in this one. The other one has some unfortunate remarks though, I must say.

On the point I raised earlier about the entire BBC Radio network covering the Radio 4 broadcast - it's been suggested elsewhere that this might have been a protocol to prevent a gaffe by a presenter, or an inappropriate record. People can be very sensitive at times like this. I recall that when he read the news about the Queen Mother's death, Peter Sissons was hammered for wearing the wrong colour tie.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    The beeb have went OTT on this.
    Sad news and a great military man but he had a bloody good innings.
    I'm pretty sure most of the population are not royalists too....

Cheers,

Adam.
    It's the world's population more than the UK's ... today, £millions worth of UK royal photos will have been sold to the world's media for worldwide publication ... including syndicated images not previously published. I recently attended two fascinating ZOOM presentations by Paul Sanders ... former 'The Times' Picture Editor ... Paul explained in detail how the news photo market works worldwide. It's big, 'box office', business. https://www.lightandland.co.uk/photo...w/paul-sanders
    Last edited by sundial; 10th April 2021 at 00:19.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A genuinely great and inspirational man. More importantly, big enough to be the great man behind a great woman. I doubt we will ever see another example of consistent service and duty like it. I worry and feel for Our Queen now he has gone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    A genuinely great and inspirational man. More importantly, big enough to be the great man behind a great woman. I doubt we will ever see another example of consistent service and duty like it. I worry and feel for Our Queen now he has gone.
    Well said.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Nicely put. I also worry for the Queen, but, given her sense of duty and stoicism, I sense she will soldier on for a good time yet. I certainly hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Very true, and well said.

Beautifully said and a statement that I agree 100%

Very well put. Our Queen has been and is an incredibly strong lady who has consistently steered the right course whatever fate has thrown at her, but has always known she only has to turn her head and he would be there for her. Now of course, sadly he won't be.
    Her current family troubles with the social media couple in America and of course Andrew will be a very different problem for her to handle without him. I wonder if maybe she'll think it's time to hand the baton on?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Very well put. Our Queen has been and is an incredibly strong lady who has consistently steered the right course whatever fate has thrown at her, but has always known she only has to turn her head and he would be there for her. Now of course, sadly he won't be.
    Her current family troubles with the social media couple in America and of course Andrew will be a very different problem for her to handle without him. I wonder if maybe she'll think it's time to hand the baton on?
    I wouldn’t blame her one bit if she did

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    I wouldn’t blame her one bit if she did
    Quite, she's certainly put the hours in.

Craftsman
    Quite, she's certainly put the hours in.
    Yep, not a job/life I would want.

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Yep, not a job/life I would want.
    Yes, they weren't expecting the roles they had to take on until they were in their forties at least, probably fifties. But when The King died young she was I think 25 and Philip 30 and their lives as they knew them were over. Remarkable what they have both achieved, we wont see the like again.

Craftsman
    Yes, they weren't expecting the roles they had to take on until they were in their forties at least, probably fifties. But when The King died young she was I think 25 and Philip 30 and their lives as they knew them were over. Remarkable what they have both achieved, we wont see the like again.
    There’s a documentary on this morning about his life.
    It looks really interesting, copying it now and will watch later.
    One bit I did see was, he expected their children to have his surname (Mountbatten) but it was made clear to him that would not be happening! He said something like, I’m the only man in the country who’s children aren’t allowed to have his name.
    I bet his royal life was very frustrating at the start!

One bit I did see was, he expected their children to have his surname (Mountbatten) but it was made clear to him that would not be happening! He said something like, I’m the only man in the country who’s children aren’t allowed to have his name.
    I bet his royal life was very frustrating at the start!
    To start with Mountbatten was a chosen name, a direct translation from the German original.
    But yes, the first years must have been challenging. And may explain his taste for off the cuff remarks that was beyond the reach of those in charge of vetting what was said and done.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    To start with Mountbatten was a chosen name, a direct translation from the German original.
    But yes, the first years must have been challenging. And may explain his taste for off the cuff remarks that was beyond the reach of those in charge of vetting what was said and done.
    Was certainly a ‘character’
    Fair play to him I say

Master
    I hadn't seen this image until yesterday. I digitally removed a logo from the top right so it's not entirely the original. What a brilliant photograph. Sorry I can't credit the photographer, I don't know who that is.

I do find people's reaction to his death fascinating in particular the anger to those who raise objection to the ensuing news circus or make an irreverent joke. If you've nothing nice to say then shut up! Well yes but his death is being shoved down our throats from on high & you can't get away from it. It wasn't so long also that the media were reporting on his racist & sexist remarks commenting that he was a man out of time. This with the undertones that a monarchy is all a bit silly & we should grow up & consign it to history.

Philip was a remarkable man who led a remarkable life. It is a life he didn't choose & I doubt many would've persisted. No way would I have swapped his for mine. Whilst he had a life of privilege it was, let's be honest, a cell with gold bars & it appears he railed against it for the benefit of himself & The Firm. He had personality & character that is so rare nowadays certainly with the bland persona's of the politically correct younger generation of royals & celebrities in general. I will miss that.

Given his personality though & in particular his irreverence, I would argue that a joke or meme about his death would be something he may have chuckled over rather than condemned. So long as it was about him & not his Queen. RIP Prince Philip.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I hadn't seen this image until yesterday. I digitally removed a logo from the top right so it's not entirely the original. What a brilliant photograph. Sorry I can't credit the photographer, I don't know who that is.
    The photographer is Yui Mok, he's with PA Media (I expect the logo you removed identified that).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Great image that - weirdly it doesn't appear when you go into the thread on tapatalk.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Master
    He was, I believe, 96 at the time of that photo. Out in the pouring rain, unflinching, nearly ramrod straight, with Royal Marines proudly marching in front of him. The young and old Booties there will treasure that moment (even though they probably whinged at the time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk