closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos: Tangente neomatik now available in in midnight blue

Craftsman

Nomos: Tangente neomatik now available in in midnight blue

I am really taken with this new colourway from Nomos for their Tangente neomatik. It has a date ring, with the current date shown by neon green markers:

This was announced by Nomos as part of their promotion for the Watches and Wonders Geneva show which is going on now.

What I really like about Nomos watches is although their cases can be fairly big (40 mm plus), they are really thin and light. The Tangente is only 7.8 mm high. It has Nomos' own DUW 6101 caliber, which itself is only 3.6 mm high, remarkable for a movement with a (quick set) date complication. Nomos use almost the full width of the case to flatten the movement. I hope they continue to innovate with further complications - for example, I would love to see what they could do with a chronograph.

Not sure it fits the Bauhaus aesthetic but an impressive design nonetheless.

Have they had the date markers for a while? The white one works best imo.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Not sure it fits the Bauhaus aesthetic but an impressive design nonetheless.

Have they had the date markers for a while? The white one works best imo.
    Yes they've had models with this style of date for a while. I think it fits well with their overall aesthetic even though it is a bit more busy, and offer some differentiation to other brands + the splash of neon colour.

I'm a massive fan of Nomos designs in general though and really should get the Metro Gangreserve I've been eyeing up since release. I was kind of hoping for a new colourway for that one but it seems to be extremely popular still so perhaps they are just sticking with a good thing.

Sort of looks more like a Muhle Glashutte than a Nomos.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Sort of looks more like a Muhle Glashutte than a Nomos.
    I sort of see the resemblance; I owe one of both brands, but Nomos definitely are superior in terms of the quality of the movement, which means the cases are much thinner and lighter, and thus fit in better with the minimalist design.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the look and colour. Although I generally prefer no-date watches, that is a neat solution to having a readable but inconspicuous date.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I sort of see the resemblance; I owe one of both brands, but Nomos definitely are superior in terms of the quality of the movement, which means the cases are much thinner and lighter, and thus fit in better with the minimalist design.
    There is always something about a Muhle Glashutte watch that puts me off buying usually it is the large case and tiny movement. That being said as much as I try to like Nomos (And some of their designs I really like) I just cant bring myself to buy one I just regard them as a thoroughly dislikeable company.

The dial is a very interesting concept though and I do like how they are willing to try and do things a bit different.

Journeyman
    wow that date setup is fantastic. no confusing extra hand, no distracting window, easy enough to read

are there other manufacturers who use such a date arrangement? I'm surprised it's not more common.
    Last edited by bitt3n; 9th April 2021 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by bitt3n View Post
    wow that date setup is fantastic. no confusing extra hand, no distracting window
    And best of all, each number actually shown, rather than just 1 3 5 etc.

Craftsman
    I just cant bring myself to buy one I just regard them as a thoroughly dislikeable company.
    How come?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    How come?
    Yes, I am curious too. I have always found Nomos customer service to be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    How come?
    A few reasons to be honest, one what they did to Mulhle, second what they tried to do to Stowa, third bad experience with their customer service and fourth ironically because for all their guff the name is a zombie company.

A few reasons to be honest, one what they did to Mulhle, second what they tried to do to Stowa, third bad experience with their customer service and fourth ironically because for all their guff the name is a zombie company.
    What did they do to Mühle and what did they try to do to Stowa? I'm intrigued!

Also, would you mind sharing your experiences with customer service? I am keen on owning one someday, and any user experiences are invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    What did they do to Mühle and what did they try to do to Stowa? I'm intrigued!

Also, would you mind sharing your experiences with customer service? I am keen on owning one someday, and any user experiences are invaluable.
    Have a google and you will get more detail I think watchuseek has much of the information. But to keep it brief took Muhle to court over the use of ETA movements and the Glashutte name and they went bankrupt. Tried to go after Stowa over their Antea dial (Stowa that would be the company with a long history of using that art deco style!) and they agreed to use a different font on their watches. Nomos were a German watch company at the early part of the last century that imported Swiss movements for their watches and ironically got taken out for it.

To me they just seem like a bunch of bullies throwing their money around (Muhle are a family owned company, Stowa was bought from the original owner by a genuine watchmaker and enthusiast) I just dont like them I have more respect for Muhle and Stowa to be honest.

I bought a Nomos strap because at the time they were one of the few brands that sold cordovan straps with quick change spring bars. The strap arrived with spring bars that were too small for the strap (How they managed to do that I dont know) Got little help from Nomos (Send it back at my cost for my money back) £70 watch strap never again.

Have a google and you will get more detail I think watchuseek has much of the information. But to keep it brief took Muhle to court over the use of ETA movements and the Glashutte name and they went bankrupt. Tried to go after Stowa over their Antea dial (Stowa that would be the company with a long history of using that art deco style!) and they agreed to use a different font on their watches. Nomos were a German watch company at the early part of the last century that imported Swiss movements for their watches and ironically got taken out for it.

To me they just seem like a bunch of bullies throwing their money around (Muhle are a family owned company, Stowa was bought from the original owner by a genuine watchmaker and enthusiast) I just dont like them I have more respect for Muhle and Stowa to be honest.

I bought a Nomos strap because at the time they were one of the few brands that sold cordovan straps with quick change spring bars. The strap arrived with spring bars that were too small for the strap (How they managed to do that I dont know) Got little help from Nomos (Send it back at my cost for my money back) £70 watch strap never again.
    Good enough for me.

Down with Nomos!

Craftsman
    It seems that Nomos sued Muhle for the latter’s use of the prestigious “Made in Glashütte” claim, which requires at least 50% of the watch to be actually manufactured in Glashütte, whereas Muhle were using Swiss movements. Muhle lost the court case and consequently a lot of money, and nearly went under.

The court clearly decided that Muhle were in the wrong, so I am not sure why Nomos should be painted as the bad guy in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    It seems that Nomos sued Muhle for the latter’s use of the prestigious “Made in Glashütte” claim, which requires at least 50% of the watch to be actually manufactured in Glashütte, whereas Muhle were using Swiss movements. Muhle lost the court case and consequently a lot of money, and nearly went under.

The court clearly decided that Muhle were in the wrong, so I am not sure why Nomos should be painted as the bad guy in this.
    Because Nomos are some no mark zombie company that used to use Swiss movements themselves and their Alpha movement is based on one. Funny they didnt go after Union that also use ETA movements but then its a world of difference going after your price bracket competitors when they are a small family owned business and the other is owned by the Swatch group.

AFAIK Muhle went bankrupt over it. So what was Nomos excuse going after Stowa for their Bauhaus design? You know the design thats in their museum, sorry but whenever I think of Nomos I just think of the phrase "Money cant buy you class"

Craftsman
    Not really sure I see the issue - Nomos has made a big effort to make a range of in house calibres which they manage to sell at very good prices considering the quality. They used to use Swiss movements but stopped. I don’t see why other companies shouldn’t make the same effort to obey the Glashutte rules.

No idea about the Stowa issue, but if they had to change their design as a result it sounds a bit fishy, so not surprised Nomos wanted to protect their designs.

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    Not really sure I see the issue - Nomos has made a big effort to make a range of in house calibres which they manage to sell at very good prices considering the quality. They used to use Swiss movements but stopped. I don’t see why other companies shouldn’t make the same effort to obey the Glashutte rules.

No idea about the Stowa issue, but if they had to change their design as a result it sounds a bit fishy, so not surprised Nomos wanted to protect their designs.
    Stowa made the design first not the zombie company.

Because Nomos are some no mark zombie company that used to use Swiss movements themselves and their Alpha movement is based on one. Funny they didnt go after Union that also use ETA movements but then its a world of difference going after your price bracket competitors when they are a small family owned business and the other is owned by the Swatch group.

AFAIK Muhle went bankrupt over it. So what was Nomos excuse going after Stowa for their Bauhaus design? You know the design thats in their museum, sorry but whenever I think of Nomos I just think of the phrase "Money cant buy you class"
    I don’t believe Muhle went bankrupt. My understanding is, the outcome was that they made sufficient changes to their production to ensure 50% of the watch was made locally and therefore able to bear the Glashutte name. They did have to pay a settlement to Nomos but it was MUCH less than the suit was for.
    Basically Muhle can now legally have the Glashutte name on their watches, which is better all round IMHO.

I own a watch from both brands and they are superb watches in their own right.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/m...1/#post-833800
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 10th April 2021 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I don’t believe Muhle went bankrupt. My understanding is, the outcome was that they made sufficient changes to their production to ensure 50% of the watch was made locally and therefore able to bear the Glashutte name. They did have to pay a settlement to Nomos but it was MUCH less than the suit was for.
    Basically Muhle can now legally have the Glashutte name on their watches, which is better all round IMHO.

I own a watch from both brands and they are superb watches in their own right.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/m...1/#post-833800
    Yes I read the threads at the time

"In 2005 it came into a legal dispute with a different manufacturer (Nomos Glashütte) about whether the movements go along with the so-called "Glashütte rule" (i.e., 50% of the adding value of the movement has to be realized in Glashütte). The dispute escalated and Mühle had to file for insolvency in October 2007."

Not sure where I am supposed to feel any less disgusted with the behaviour of a no mark zombie company with a few quid in their back pockets who started off using imported Swiss movements and took their name from a company that went bust for guess what? Importing Swiss movements. As opposed to a family owned business with a long standing tradition.

Sorry but the whole thing seems to me company with money go after smaller competitors to bully the market and for that there is not a chance I will touch one of their watches. Its not a question of the quality of their watches its a moral question for me and as much as I like their designs and movements I just view them as a horrible company I want nothing to do with.

Yes I read the threads at the time

"In 2005 it came into a legal dispute with a different manufacturer (Nomos Glashütte) about whether the movements go along with the so-called "Glashütte rule" (i.e., 50% of the adding value of the movement has to be realized in Glashütte). The dispute escalated and Mühle had to file for insolvency in October 2007."

Not sure where I am supposed to feel any less disgusted with the behaviour of a no mark zombie company with a few quid in their back pockets who started off using imported Swiss movements and took their name from a company that went bust for guess what? Importing Swiss movements. As opposed to a family owned business with a long standing tradition.

Sorry but the whole thing seems to me company with money go after smaller competitors to bully the market and for that there is not a chance I will touch one of their watches. Its not a question of the quality of their watches its a moral question for me and as much as I like their designs and movements I just view them as a horrible company I want nothing to do with.

And you’re 100% entitled to feel that way. I’m very glad Muhle was spared from bankruptcy. I have the utmost respect for the brand and quite a soft spot for their watches.

I’m also speaking without knowing all the facts but if, in the past, Muhle were using the Glashutte name without meeting the criteria for doing so (criteria which probably can also be debated in itself), it’s now better that they do meet that criteria and their watches are even better because of that. All in my opinion of course and I acknowledge others will disagree.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 17th April 2021 at 20:22.

I'd like to dislike Nomos for whatever shenanigans they were involved in, but instead have been drawn into admiring their watches...

The minimatik is intriguing but at 35.5 might be too small for my old eyes and luscious 7.5 inch wrist. If anybody has pics on a thicker wrist I would be most grateful.

Also really like the Metro gangreserve and Worldtimer models. They're a bit different but not gaudy. Slim and tasteful, unlike my good self it has to be said.

Show/sell me your Nomos!

Craftsman
    I suspect a lot of companies has committed morally questionable acts at some point in their business dealings, in just we don't normally get to hear about them. As the Nomos/Muhle dispute was quite a while ago, and I wasn't into watches at the time, I think I will just go on their current standing in the industry.

I don't know anything about the legal disputes, but do love that date display.