closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Barker & Stonehouse Sofas

Barker & Stonehouse Sofas

Hi all

In the market for some new sofas and now the kids are a bit older and out of the jam finger stage, we fancy getting the chesterfields we've fancied for a while.

Sat in one at Barker & Stonehouse a while back pre covid and liked the look and feel of it

Anyone got one of their sofas, how did you find it compared to the usual DFS etc? Anyone got or had the 'Ullswater' leather chesterfield?

I would think they don't sell mediocre furniture given their prices. I've been in the store a few times and they always have quality items. I buy most of my furnishings at Barker's in Northallerton or John Lewis, Newcastle.

We have one of their large sofas - great quality.

Makes the DFS stuff appear a bit cheap and flimsy.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

We’ve got a big L shaped sofa from there (and a bed and two of their mattresses). The quality is way above DFS (nothing wrong with DFS, had a couple of sofas from there in the past) but the overall workmanship is of a higher standard, it doesn’t creak or groan when you sit on it, 5 years old now and the (well filled) cushions still have their shape, the material hasn’t marked up or pilled and it’s as comfy as the day we got it.

Blog Entries
    Do they actually make them? I understand that there are a few actual sofa makers who make to certain specs supplied by various brands

Don’t an outfit called tetrad supply a load of brands? John Lewis etc.

Could be a myth though ?

Master
    Both are made to a price point it’s just a higher price point with B&S stuff.
    I’m getting rid of a pair of suite chairs from B&S tomorrow they are great and so comfy, I bought the suite in 1997 when I got divorced and they will last another 20 years at least.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cheers all

Good to know they're well thought of. We'll go for a sit on one when stores open again

Had a look today at similar styles at the likes of SCS and DFS and was surprised to see they are pretty much the same price, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I would think they don't sell mediocre furniture given their prices. I've been in the store a few times and they always have quality items. I buy most of my furnishings at Barker's in Northallerton or John Lewis, Newcastle.
    I wondered why you were going to Northallerton rather than the one in town, but have just realised the Barkers in Northallerton you refer to is Barkers and not Barkers&Stonehouse, different companies. Looked on the Barkers site and no prices are listed, which makes me think I cant afford it, lol. Interestingly, Barkers have a very similar sofa to the B&S one, in fact it looks identical, same studding, same feet, exactly the same dims, so i'm thinking they're from the same place. Guess i'll try both and compare prices

Cheers

Brighty

Two of my mates have made furniture for them and have been less than complimentary of the materials used. Maybe slightly unfair as they've both also worked for George Smith and Delcor which are obviously of a higher standard.

I paid a visit to their store in Hove when it opened.
    I won't be going back in hurry, overpriced and mediocre described the better stuff, hideous and tasteless the rest.
    YMMV,

Edit: If you think a Mini with a Union Jack roof is what you expect to find in a furniture shop you will probably love the place.
    Last edited by Kevin; 11th April 2021 at 01:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Cheers all

Good to know they're well thought of. We'll go for a sit on one when stores open again

Had a look today at similar styles at the likes of SCS and DFS and was surprised to see they are pretty much the same price, if not more.

I wondered why you were going to Northallerton rather than the one in town, but have just realised the Barkers in Northallerton you refer to is Barkers and not Barkers&Stonehouse, different companies. Looked on the Barkers site and no prices are listed, which makes me think I cant afford it, lol. Interestingly, Barkers have a very similar sofa to the B&S one, in fact it looks identical, same studding, same feet, exactly the same dims, so i'm thinking they're from the same place. Guess i'll try both and compare prices

Cheers

Brighty
    Barkers in Northallerton are good. But the one thing about all of these places is that the majority just stock products from the few manufacturers that are about but some do get specific shop deals. I went into one before this last lockdown and was basically told, forget the prices just ask and we’ll work something out.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

OP did you buy one in the end, any thoughts?

Went into DFS and Sofology the other day. Sofology was full of awful looking tat. DFS had some ok looking options but the last sofas we got from them weren't great long term.

Have looked at the B&S website and they have a shop in Battersea. Not an ideal location but happy to get down there if it's a step above DFS. Not sure what to think of Loaf or MADE, would rather something with more history behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    OP did you buy one in the end, any thoughts?

Went into DFS and Sofology the other day. Sofology was full of awful looking tat. DFS had some ok looking options but the last sofas we got from them weren't great long term.

Have looked at the B&S website and they have a shop in Battersea. Not an ideal location but happy to get down there if it's a step above DFS. Not sure what to think of Loaf or MADE, would rather something with more history behind it.
    No, was put on hold. Boss told me we need a rear extension, new flooring all downstairs and a new kitchen first, so sofas can wait till all that disruption is done

I furnished my pad in Newcastle almost entirely from Barker & Stonehouse.

I’ll keep it brief: never again.

Blog Entries
    Went into Sofology a few years ago and I came out with sore eyes, there will not be a second visit.

Barker and Stonehouse do sell some good/high quality furniture but it is the more expensive branded items. The day to day stuff is nothing special in my opinion. It may be on trend but isn’t built to last and isn’t that comfortable. The more expensive items can be bought at most decent furniture stores.

Ross

I think there is a directly proportional relationship between how much you should spend on furniture, and how soon your wife will want to change it. Unless money is literally no object, of course.

Master
    We bought a couple of sofas about 8 years ago from Arigi Bianchi that have lasted very well.
    SWMBO has made a couple of low key remarks about replacing them but it would be purely because we’re decorating and stuff, she’s no chance!