closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking of buying a Volvo

Master

Thinking of buying a Volvo

Hi I am thinking of buying a year and a half old Volvo S60 petrol t5 r design does anyone on here have one and have any words of wisdom particularly seats as I have arthritis in my back and neck and find it hard to find a car with comfy seats but I obviously can’t try one a the moment ?

Master
    I've had a few different Volvo models, along with the other usual suspects from BMW, Audi etc. In my opinion, the Volvo seats are probably the most comfortable and supportive. Currently sharing an XC40 with my wife and can't fault it for comfort.

We still have a 2001 V70 in the fold, we mostly use it for journey's from Yorkshire to Mallorca via Barcelona, no problems with the seats.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Car dealerships are opening up next week, so you can take a test drive from then

Master
    Blog Entries
    Worth considering that the r design is the 'sporty' set up so worth checking the stiffer ride as compared to the mainstream offering. I suspect the S90 will be more comfortable either way? And assume you are opting for auto box...
    Last edited by Suds; 8th April 2021 at 19:43.

Can you wait a week or so?

Volvo are decent cars in general, i used to know met office engineers who had them and they were putting crazy mileage on them every week going to fix weather stations all over the place.
    They were diesel though and it was 4 or 5 years ago.

Blog Entries
    Just stay away from everything with 'D2' on the back.

We’re a Volvo family, have owned an XC90, V60 (R Design), wife currently has an XC60 which we’re looking to swap for an XC40 just now.

R Designs have sports seats, which have more lateral support but not excessively so in my experience, unlike certain German sports variants like the Audi S Line variants. Slightly stiffer ride than normal Volvo variants, however normal Volvos are fairly comfy setup anyway so no biggy. I’d concur that Volvo seats are the best I’ve tried in my 30 years driving, ergonomics and controls are also excellent - designed for use in Swedish winters with gloves on.

You *may* be better looking at one of the models with higher suspension like a V60 Cross Country or an XC60 as they’re easier to get in and out of but you should be able to at least sit in the S60 in a forecourt to get an idea soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Worth considering that the r design is the 'sporty' set up so worth checking the stiffer ride as compared to the mainstream offering. I suspect the S90 will be more comfortable either way? And assume you are opting for auto box...
    The s90 is too big the r design is the only one in my price range it will be an auto as I can no longer drive manuals thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    We’re a Volvo family, have owned an XC90, V60 (R Design), wife currently has an XC60 which we’re looking to swap for an XC40 just now.

R Designs have sports seats, which have more lateral support but not excessively so in my experience, unlike certain German sports variants like the Audi S Line variants. Slightly stiffer ride than normal Volvo variants, however normal Volvos are fairly comfy setup anyway so no biggy. I’d concur that Volvo seats are the best I’ve tried in my 30 years driving, ergonomics and controls are also excellent - designed for use in Swedish winters with gloves on.

You *may* be better looking at one of the models with higher suspension like a V60 Cross Country or an XC60 as they’re easier to get in and out of but you should be able to at least sit in the S60 in a forecourt to get an idea soon.
    Will be interested in what the seats are like sat in my mates audi s line and the seats were horrid narrow hard things seems like a lot of car makes fit car seats with all the give of granite these days thanks

Master
    Volvo have become good again. My eldest uses a xc90 hybrid at work, it out accelerates there x5 up to 90 then the bm leaves it, there’s are up at nearly 3 ton.

Youngest just gave back an XC40 and loves it, and has bought an S90 also a spectacular car.

You need to go and try them and and decide on spec, I know some are really hard to get hold off.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had a very comfy XC60 D5 AWD (not the R design) and when it was in for a service had an S60 for a couple of days which I found very uncomfortable for reasons I can’t really fathom. The XC60 really had the nicest seats I’ve ever driven in, the S60 gave me lower back pain which really surprised me - I fiddled with the settings to no avail, got back In the XC60 and the pain was gone! - I’d test drive one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I had a very comfy XC60 D5 AWD (not the R design) and when it was in for a service had an S60 for a couple of days which I found very uncomfortable for reasons I can’t really fathom. The XC60 really had the nicest seats I’ve ever driven in, the S60 gave me lower back pain which really surprised me - I fiddled with the settings to no avail, got back In the XC60 and the pain was gone! - I’d test drive one.

Was this the latest shape s60?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Was this the latest shape s60?
    It was about 18 months ago so the previous model

I have a V90 D5 r design which i am just about to sell. It’s a fantastic car and I’ve really enjoyed driving it. Has plenty of poke and fuel economy is good. In general all modern Volvos are excellent. Volvo dealerships are still a bit patchy but getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    Volvo dealerships are still a bit patchy but getting better.

And too effing expensive. Last time I looked a couple of years ago they were up a £160/h, and god knows what they are at now. All for a bit of spannering.

I have the same car as you and take it to a Volvo Indy (ex Volvo tech) who charges me one third of the stealership going rate.

The D5 V70 is a great bit of kit. I’ve had mine approaching 13 years from new, and apart from consumables, all that has gone wrong, is one suspension spring, child booster seat mechanism and battery pole cracked and need to be replaced for a tenner. That said it is still low mileage for its age and I have serviced religiously only with Volvo parts and approved fluids.

Master
    My wife has an XC60 and I find that they have the least comfortable seats of the three cars we have, and the other two cars are not meant for comfort
    No substitute for going out for a drive in the specific car (or specific seats) that you will buy when you have a back issue

Master
    The most positive aspect of my xc90, apart from safety for the kids, is the comfort of the front seats. Also great seat warmers for those cold mornings.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Between my folks and I we've had 4 Volvos. My father got into a serious accident a few years ago in his XC90, the car was so badly damaged that it was scrapped, but he walked out nearly unscathed except for a broken rib and bruised wrists. Cannot praise the safety of Volvos enough.
    Last edited by tommyzzj; 9th April 2021 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Between my folks and I we've had 4 Volvos. My father got into a serious accident a few years ago in his XC90, the car was so badly damaged that it was scrapped, but he walked out nearly unscratched except for a broken rib and bruised wrists. Cannot praise the safety of Volvos enough.
    I bought my first Volvo on the recommendation of a friend - who as part of his job was involved in attending serious fatal road traffic accidents. He was a bit of a lad in his late 20’s at the time so a Volvo seemed an odd choice, but he said he’d seen so many accidents where people had walked out of a Volvo unscathed - including mutiple pile-ups where Police V70’s or 850’s were involved. My wife was pregnant with her second child so safety was ‘front of mind’ at the time - I took one for a test drive and was smitten - felt solid, chunky and lots of room for buggies etc, but also lots of power. Proved reliable too - and the same friend had a mate who ran a cheap Volvo Independent. I was also able to do a fair few jobs on it myself as
    there was room in the engine bay to work without skinning your knuckles!

My dad has had a bad back for most of his life and is now on his 4th sports Volvo since 2012.

I have my dads old 2011 Volvo, a S60 T6 AWD R design 3.0. It's my first Volvo and I absolutely love it, it is massively more comfortable than any of the sports VW's or Audi's I've had. The only problem I have is it can be a little awkward to get in when the seat is in my preferred driving position.

My dad now has the new S60 Polestar and it is another level, amazingly well equipped and comfortable and uncomfortably fast if that is possible !

I think once you drive one you may be sold on it :-)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    Had a V70 and XC60 Rdesign.

Love the brand, love the cars and the seats are superb, most comfortable of any car I've owned or had access to.

My next car will be a Volvo, just not sure what yet!!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I currently drive a V60 cross county T5, it’s a fantastic car. I will be sad to see it go when my lease ends in November.

I do occasional long (300+ mile) journeys in it, nonstop when it’s just me in the car and I find it incredibly comfortable. I don’t know if the seats are the same as the R-design though.

The engine is very good, gearbox isn’t the best if you’re want to drive quickly but it’s ok.

Blog Entries
    After 16 years of BMW and Audi my last car was a new diesel XC90 RDesign which I had for two years.

Great car with loads of bits better the the Germans but from 18 months it did start developing the odd rattle and I began questioning the quality. Having said that it was put together far better than my Model 3 Tesla.

Pitch