closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wedding watches

Master

Wedding watches

I hate this kind of “you’re into watches, sort this out for me” quest, but here I am, asking for help.

A friend of mine wants to buy his daughter and future husband matching his / hers watches as a wedding present.
    Budget is £2-£5k, must be new or new as possible and must be a “premium” known Swiss brand, no wis stuff, as they wouldn’t be into explaining “this is better” or “this is the alternative” etc

My mind jumps straight to Tag, possibly Omega. Rolex is definitely out of the price bracket.

Any thoughts?

Journeyman
    Longines would be worth checking out, you could easily get both within budget.

Craftsman
    Shame they have to be new. A couple of Cartier tanks or tank/santos combo would be in budget if S/H.

Master
    The chances of an old man choosing two watches that both his daughter and her future husband will enjoy wearing is virtually zero.

If he wants to go ahead with this, let them do the choosing.

I bought my wife a YG 31mm Datejust a couple of years ago and I let her choose it and she is delighted with it. However there is no way I would want a YG Rolex to match it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The chances of an old man choosing two watches that both his daughter and her future husband will enjoy wearing is virtually zero.

If he wants to go ahead with this, let them do the choosing.

I bought my wife a YG 31mm Datejust a couple of years ago and I let her choose it and she is delighted with it. However there is no way I would want a YG Rolex to match it.
    I agree, I also think the ‘his and hers’ matching watch look is a bit naff.

Whilst its a very nice gesture, I think if the couple are happy with the gift idea they should choose; if its a surprise gift then get them something else...
    If any thing this place shows us that one mans beauty is another mans horror show (just take a peek at pits 'n' pelts) The father will invariably spend a large sum of money on something that will not get worn because tastes differ, plus who wants to dress like the Mrs?

For a pair of similarly styled watches in budget - Tudor 1926 or Style or Glamour Date+Day.

Titoni do a whole range of couple watches and now you can buy them online! https://www.titoni.ch/en/collection/couple-watches.html

Master
    Thanks for the replies.

And! I agree, the choice is a personal one as everybody’s taste differs. His ‘n’ Hers anything is naff.
    But,
    It’s what he wants to do.

I’m going to steer him towards a couple of brands within budget and let him do the rest. Certainly won’t be recommending any specific model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Titoni do a whole range of couple watches and now you can buy them online! https://www.titoni.ch/en/collection/couple-watches.html
    Nice, but too niche for the people in question.

It’s got to be the obvious bigger brands I’m afraid, more into brand bling than the actual product thing

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post

It’s got to be the obvious bigger brands I’m afraid, more into brand bling than the actual product thing
    I thought they probably would be but I just like to mention Titoni whenever the opportunity presents itself :D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post

If it's got to be an obvious brand, you're basically limited to Rolex, Omega, TAG and Cartier. Rolex is too expensive, Omega and TAG are a bit too sporty for a wedding watch IMO.

You could get a pair of Tank Solos. Extra large automatic for the groom and small quartz for the bride.

https://www.cartier.com/en-gb/tank-s...l#dept=EU_Tank
    https://www.cartier.com/en-gb/tank-s...l#dept=EU_Tank

That's a shade over £5k for the pair, you'll easily get a discount I would have thought.

Given the brief, it’s TAG carrera 3-hander or Cartier Tank. I can’t think of any other big name Swiss brand where you can get two watches under £5k

I was going to suggest Montblanc - it's a well-known brand, but not necessarily for its watches! However, they do very few women's watches & none that are his & hers...

There's always Hermes: they've a rather nice looking Arceau watch (quartz) available in 28mm, 36mm & 40mm. You can get two for £5k.

HERMES ARCEAU RANGE
    ______

​Jim.

Are they the sporty type? You could pick up a pair of Breitling Superoceans from a UK grey dealer for less than £5k.

42mm & 36mm:

Other colours available.
    Last edited by Lampoc; 8th April 2021 at 15:28.

Is Cartier really a good choice?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...e-like-Cartier

I know nothing about them (and there's nothing wrong with being older, homosexual or European in my view - Live and let live), but the title of that thread always springs to mind when Cartier are mentioned!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Longines Legend diver pair?

Craftsman
    Have you thought about Oris?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Given the requirements, I personally think Tag is his best bet.

If he's determined to do this why would he ask you for advice? He'd know what to get. Asking someone for advice regarding a tool for a job you don't know much about is one thing but watches are a very personal thing and should be chosen by them. Get them a £5k WOS voucher if he's insistent the gifts should be watches

I just think of couples like this when I hear the word matching -

Omega De Ville? Not sure there is a matchy-matchy option but plenty of choice in the models and usually good discounts from new.

Otherwise Longines or TAG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I just think of couples like this when I hear the word matching -

Or Howard and Hilda from Ever Decreasing Circles in matching cardigans.

For a wedding Longines or Cartier are classy options. Bb41 and 36 might be options too.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Longines Legend diver pair?
    I was going to suggest this. One 42mm and one 36. Very classy, versatile and one of the most recognised names out there. Also within budget for both even new.

I’ve had my LLD since it’s release but I’m picking up a Pearl dial 36mm for my wife on weds.

Jlc Reverso ?
    (maybe out of budget )