closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Odds of Dying from a preventable death

Odds of Dying from a preventable death

I came across the NSC website, which appears to be the American equivalent to ROSPA. I found their 'Odds of Dying from a preventable death' page very interesting and surpriding: https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-inju...odds-of-dying/ - Note: obviously based on USA statistics.

I’m very surprised by a lot of those figures. In fact I can’t get my head around quite a few of them, especially those between the 1 in 88 and 1 in 1250 range.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m very surprised by a lot of those figures. In fact I can’t get my head around quite a few of them, especially those between the 1 in 88 and 1 in 1250 range.
    Is that because they are lifetime odds? I.e. spread over the average lifespan (78.8 years according to the notes).

Some bizarre numbers but you can prove anything with statistics so they say. Having a %age chance of dying to an accidental opioid overdose would be almost nil when you are not a user and in middle age. I can understand the stats if you are young and not YET an opioid user. I’m sure the stats are well researched but I do find the numbers somewhat surprising.

Depends where you live and if you are a twit that is careless or doesnt look after themself.

Gun assault 1 in 289

Where i live you have more chance of getting hit by lightning twice in a row than getting shot, never happens here except the odd farmer who shoots themself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    never happens here except the odd farmer who shoots themself.
    Accidentally or on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Is that because they are lifetime odds? I.e. spread over the average lifespan (78.8 years according to the notes).
    I appreciate that they are indeed lifetime odds, but I can only die once and it just seems that some present a very high probability- certainly higher than I would have otherwise expected.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    As a cyclist, motorcyclist, pedestrian then theirs nowt down for me! Never mind a family history..............

Good job I enjoyed today and plan an even better day tomorrow:)

Steve