closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New TAG Heuer Aquaracer

Master

New TAG Heuer Aquaracer

Not sure about this one, those faceted hour markers are a design element too far imho and those hands, what have they done ? Much prefer my current Aquaracers. Don’t these manufacturers do any market research?
    Image1617832038.933582.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Kill it with fire. Cyclops at 6 is a huge eyesore IMHO

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’ve got a current version AquaRacer in grey 41mm and have said many times it’s a highly underrated watch most likely due to TH’s position as a bit of a marmite brand. I’ve actually got the 41mm white dial auto on order from a US dealer, they were the only ones I could find who could source a new one after it had been discontinued.

I’m not loving the new version though. I don’t mind the hands, but what I really don’t like is the circle cyclops over a square date window. It looks so off that it ruins the watch. Also, they’re only offering them in 43mm which is pretty big, the previous line had the choice of 43 or 41 and I can say that the proportions of the 41 are superb.

Looks like they’ve upgraded the clasp to have on the fly adjustment which is welcome, but they’re still an ETA based watch but RRP is now £2500? Sorry but they just aren’t worth that, I got mine for a grand less than that and at that price it’s a solid offering, but if I’m spending £2.5k on a dive watch I’m looking at the Tudor BB or BB58 with an in house, 70hr PR movement.

I defend TAG where possible as I think they get some unnecessary stick, but for me they’ve made the AquaRacer not as nice to look at and far too expensive for what it is.

For reference, my 41mm in grey

And the 41mm in white I’m waiting on (credit to dannys.watches on IG)

As you can see, previous line kicks the backside out of the new releases and, given there’s no upgrade to the movement I’m not sure how that price hike is justified at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Looks like they have been looking at microbrands and seeing that people gobble them up. New and shiny but kinda out there and maybe a bit ugly really does sell pretty well for microbrands so why not copy them.

Turns out the cyclops is on the underside of the dial, which is better but it still looks not great. Take that away and it’s a nice watch, but still too big and too expensive.

It looks like the Baume & Mercier models from the early 2000s. Nothing really new here

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

As you can see, previous line kicks the backside out of the new releases and, given there’s no upgrade to the movement I’m not sure how that price hike is justified at all.

I’ve come full circle on Aqua racers and have been thinking about picking one up recently.

I thought the white in 41mm would be ideal: nice choice.

I really like the previous Aquaracers....this one though looks horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’ve come full circle on Aqua racers and have been thinking about picking one up recently.

I thought the white in 41mm would be ideal: nice choice.
    They are really solid built and well finished watches. The bracelet is so supple, the proportions of the 41mm are perfect, it’s so slim for a 300m diver, great lume. I really think it’s an excellent watch if you can get one for around £1500.

The white in 41mm (auto) is nearly impossible to get hold of now, unless you find a good second hand one on C24 or something. The blue, grey and black 41’s are still knocking around new though, worth it if you can get a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Kill it with fire. Cyclops at 6 is a huge eyesore IMHO
    Agreed , it just doesn't look right at all .

I fully expected to hate everything about it, especially the barnacle at '6' but you know what, I don't. I actually quite like it. It's different enough to not be another version of a generic diver and I love the sword hands. The fact is has a C5 movement and high quality bracelet for £2300 is pretty decent I think. However, when compared to a used, previous model like those owned by davidj54 at around the £1500 mark....well there's no competition really. Another plus is that you can actually buy one, unlike other brands discussed at length yesterday.

OP’s pic is quite crappy. Sorry
    Here are some more representative pics.
    I like it. It seems more refined and still toolish. Bracelet has micro adjustment, bezel is much nicer. Lugs are slimmer and shorter and watch is overall lighter. Choice of Ti as well. The only thing is Caliber 5 with a power reserve of only 38 hours.

Craftsman
    Those pics look a lot better but I'm still not a fan. I prefer the bezel without the raised markers as I've never really liked those, but it was a real design feature on Tags and losing that makes the rest of the watch a bit more generic which is always a shame.

I think they'd have been better losing the horizontal lines on the dial and go for a brushed finish of some sort as I think it makes the whole thing too busy now the indices are octagonal. Finally, a circular or octagonal date window.

Quite like them, I have an aquaracer 300m chrono from 5 years ago and it’s still may favourite watch.

The date at 6 is the thing I’m not keen on, everything else I think is good! Still fancy one of the GMT aquaracers :-)

Master
    On viewing the initial reviews I thought they were a good update, would like to see the rumoured 41mm if it appears.
    Not sure about the 844 LE though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

I agree, that White is a lovely watch and good value at £1500-ish.
    I’d like to see a bit more clarity and structure to the Tag Heuer range, but you need to consider the target customer.
    I’ve suggested previously that I think the Heuer branded models should be marketed separately, looking at most AD displays theres a bit of a scattergun approach.
    But here’s the thing, if you like them you can walk in and try (from Monday), maybe have a haggle and actually buy one. No lists, no nonsense.
    They obviously sell, so someone knows what they are doing !

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I agree, that White is a lovely watch and good value at £1500-ish.
    I’d like to see a bit more clarity and structure to the Tag Heuer range, but you need to consider the target customer.
    I’ve suggested previously that I think the Heuer branded models should be marketed separately, looking at most AD displays theres a bit of a scattergun approach.
    But here’s the thing, if you like them you can walk in and try (from Monday), maybe have a haggle and actually buy one. No lists, no nonsense.
    They obviously sell, so someone knows what they are doing !

Apparently they aren’t being released until September? But yeah, you’re right in what you’re saying and yep, they are a popular line.

I got into watches via TAG. Got a promotion with a good pay rise at work about 5 years ago and decided I was gonna treat myself with my first ‘proper’ watch. I didn’t know anything about watches really, to me as a layman Rolex, Omega and TAG Heuer were the ‘best’ brands and of the three the TAGs were in my budget! So off I went to Goldsmiths in my lunch break and got an F1. I think I was typical of the mindset of a lot of punters that buy a TAG.

Had a good salesman who steered me away from the overpriced quartz I wanted to a similarly priced automatic, took the time to talk to me and educated me quite a bit on watches, rather than just sell me the thing I thought I wanted as quickly as possible.

I loved the watch but it sent me down this rabbit hole! And I ended up coming full circle to TH with the AquaRacer which is a really solid watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    OP’s pic is quite crappy. Sorry
    Here are some more representative pics.
    I like it. It seems more refined and still toolish. Bracelet has micro adjustment, bezel is much nicer. Lugs are slimmer and shorter and watch is overall lighter. Choice of Ti as well. The only thing is Caliber 5 with a power reserve of only 38 hours.

None taken. Not my pic to be fair, pinched from the Calibre 11 article on the fly, looked better in their article.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by emgee; 9th April 2021 at 11:06.

The only Aquaracers I ever liked were this generation from the early Noughties

Everything since has been bloated and ugly IMO

Master
    Love those! And the 2000 series

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The only Aquaracers I ever liked were this generation from the early Noughties

Everything since has been bloated and ugly IMO