closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Nice! I keep reading your rather excellent review https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...on-MSAR-Review)
    I now have the urge to buy a GSAR! I have a nice CWC divers but my watch collecting 'rule' will only allow me to own one or the other.
    Decisions, decisions.......................!
    It’s a close call, to be brutally honest the CWC is easier to wear daily as it’s thinner. (As long as you like a NATO)
    You won’t see another Marathon on another’s wrist though…

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s a close call, to be brutally honest the CWC is easier to wear daily as it’s thinner. (As long as you like a NATO)
    You won’t see another Marathon on another’s wrist though…
    Yes, I do find my CWC to be very easy to wear because of its slim height. I think the GSAR is 14mm thick? - I have a 14mm/40mm diver and on occasions it seems a tad tall but after a while I rather like the 'heft' of it. I have a 7 inch wrist but yours looks bigger if you don't mind me saying (!) so the larger Marathon is easier to wear maybe?

Yes, I do find my CWC to be very easy to wear because of its slim height. I think the GSAR is 14mm thick? - I have a 14mm/40mm diver and on occasions it seems a tad tall but after a while I rather like the 'heft' of it. I have a 7 inch wrist but yours looks bigger if you don't mind me saying (!) so the larger Marathon is easier to wear maybe?
    Mine is about 7.5 (snigger snigger) the JSAR / CSAR is about as big as I can comfortably wear, the MSAR (GSAR) wears very well due to shortish lugs. I prefer a rubber though (snigger snigger snigger) as it reduces the height when compared to a NATO.
    The marathon does wear a bit more compact compared to the CWC, again helped by the smaller dial and short lugs. There is bu99er all in it though.

I love the look of Marathons and have had a couple of GSARs but have always moved them on. Something about the proportions just doesn’t work (similar wrist size to you) - quite a small dial, but very thick and just always felt slightly off to me.

I find the CWC is much better fit, visually just works on the wrist, and is nice and slim so never feels unwieldy. Still keep thinking about buying another marathon tho, which will no doubt go the same way as the others cos i never learn!

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post

I find the CWC is much better fit, visually just works on the wrist, and is nice and slim so never feels unwieldy. Still keep thinking about buying another marathon tho, which will no doubt go the same way as the others cos i never learn!
    We've all been there. Sometimes you have to put up with the differences in order to wear something different. My mind changes every six months.

Craftsman
    Mine is about 7.5 (snigger snigger) the JSAR / CSAR is about as big as I can comfortably wear, the MSAR (GSAR) wears very well due to shortish lugs. I prefer a rubber though (snigger snigger snigger) as it reduces the height when compared to a NATO.
    The marathon does wear a bit more compact compared to the CWC, again helped by the smaller dial and short lugs. There is bu99er all in it though.
    That's useful - thanks. I also wear my larger diver on a rubber for the same reason as a NATO gives it too much height and, as mentioned elsewhere, becomes a magnet for bashing door frames!

I do like the CWC a lot although mine has the 60 click bezel which, whilst I never use it for anything apart from 'fiddling', it hasn't got such a positive click as my other diver which has a much more positive/obvious click. Also, because the bezel on the CWC has a lower profile it requires a very firm grip on the knurling to turn it. All very minor I know but I guess that is all part of the hobby? I feel that the Marathon might be a bit 'more' in that area?
    Last edited by Eddiex; 12th December 2021 at 20:15.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    I love the look of Marathons and have had a couple of GSARs but have always moved them on. Something about the proportions just doesn’t work (similar wrist size to you) - quite a small dial, but very thick and just always felt slightly off to me.

I can see how that happens! Research, research, decisions, decisions, get all excited, buy it, delivered, open the box, try it on and next day put in the Sales Corner!

I can see how that happens! Research, research, decisions, decisions, get all excited, buy it, delivered, open the box, try it on and next day put in the Sales Corner!
    Thing is, I know I’ll end up with another one! Even talking about it here has got me thinking again, maybe I should give it another go? If I could pick one up on the bracelet I’d probably bite as it makes a big difference to the height (as does rubber), but the bracelet bulks up the size a bit as well.

Had a bracelet on a TSAR once but stupidly sold it. Could never bring myself to spend almost £200 on another one - and so began my journey of flipped marathons!

Craftsman
    Nice! I keep reading your rather excellent review https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...on-MSAR-Review)
    I now have the urge to buy a GSAR! I have a nice CWC divers but my watch collecting 'rule' will only allow me to own one or the other.
    Decisions, decisions.......................!
    Go with the GSAR, somehow I've ended up with 3 of them (don't ask) of all my watches this is the one that gets 90% of my wrist time and when you wake up at night and look at it you will see why. endless
    strap variations, superb movement.

https://uk.marathonwatch.com

It’s good to see they are pushing their profile
    They currently in their 2nd year of sponsoring a driver in the Porsche Cup and are also official time keeper of this weekends round the island race.

I would love to see them become a bit more well known.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th June 2022 at 13:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    MSAR arrived yesterday,not keen on rubber straps so changed for a nato.I had a TSAR a few years back ,regretted selling it.
    sleeping dogs winston

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    MSAR arrived yesterday,not keen on rubber straps so changed for a nato.I had a TSAR a few years back ,regretted selling it.
    What are your initial thoughts?

Master
    Blog Entries
    What are your initial thoughts?
    I’m pleased with it,36mm wears well on my 7.5 inch wrist.The lume is amazing,the rubber strap is well made ,bezel has a nice solid feel .20% discount from Marathon Uk made it £590.00 good value imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I’m pleased with it,36mm wears well on my 7.5 inch wrist.The lume is amazing,the rubber strap is well made ,bezel has a nice solid feel .20% discount from Marathon Uk made it £590.00 good value imho.
    That is a good price.
    I have not tried the medium SAR should get around to it one day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    That's one lovely example! I've got it on my shortlist, Marathon or an Adanac, not too fussed about which, as long as it's issued
    Like these

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Like these

What contract is the SAR?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    What contract is the SAR?
    It's October 2001, low 40's serial number

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    It's October 2001, low 40's serial number

Steve
    i think that might be the first contract. Mine is the same & with a '50's serial number