closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Introduce The Big Pilot 43

IWC Introduce The Big Pilot 43

Introducing the IWC big pilot watch 43 . I like this watch very much , but unfortunately its way over my budget .

https://revolution.watch/introducing...ilot-watch-43/

Last edited by Tazmo61; 7th April 2021 at 07:55.

+1 on all your comments. Halve the price and I’d be buying it.

IWC has also brought out a 41mm Pilot Chronograph with their in house movement. I like this a lot.

There isn’t a black dial version yet, and I see it is no longer antimagnetic, with an open case back. It’s thinner than the Spitfire version, probably due to the soft iron core being removed.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how big pilot's retain value but could be a good used buy in a while? Their quick release strap system looks fantastic. Would be great if more manufacturers followed suit by offering this feature.

It feels to me as though all higher-end brands are becoming less and less affordable every year. The new IWC Pilot at £9k feels around double what it would have been four or five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    +1 on all your comments. Halve the price and I’d be buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It feels to me as though all higher-end brands are becoming less and less affordable every year. The new IWC Pilot at £9k feels around double what it would have been four or five years ago.
    Absolutely. There will be those who say ‘it’s just inflation’ - but when a pretty average Swiss watch costs the same as a small hatchback imho it’s all got a bit silly. I have to admit I don’t even bother keeping up with new releases from Omega, Rolex, Panerai etc any more, as there isn’t a watch in the world I like that much even if I could afford it!! - I don’t think it’s a coincidence that micro brands have appeared to satisfy the WIS who doesn’t own a private jet ;)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Not sure how big pilot's retain value but could be a good used buy in a while? Their quick release strap system looks fantastic. Would be great if more manufacturers followed suit by offering this feature.
    Decent, especially for IWC. I’d be wary of this though. While I like it, it seems over priced and there’s the chance that this will suffer if it’s perceived as more as Big Mark, rather than a full fat BP.

I really like the dial without the date window and simplicity of the dial and the case.

But not so sure about this new strap system and the lug width of 21mm.....

Craftsman
    I think the chronograph is my favourite out of this lot too. The Big Pilot's (https://www.iwc.com/gb/en/watches-an...-watch-43.html) are £7200 with leather strap , or £8000 on a steel bracelet, which makes them some of the cheapest IWC watches. Strangely, the pilot chronograph's are even cheaper (£5500-£6500) considering they have more complications. How about the Chronograph Spitfire (£6000):

I think you're right about the rise of the micro-brands and long may that continue. For example, a 40mm diver with 500m water resistance, super legibility, screw-down crown, drilled lugs and a decent quartz Ronda movement can be had for less than £250 (or even less on SC currently) from Scurfa and there's also Eddie's fantastic watches.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Absolutely. There will be those who say ‘it’s just inflation’ - but when a pretty average Swiss watch costs the same as a small hatchback imho it’s all got a bit silly. I have to admit I don’t even bother keeping up with new releases from Omega, Rolex, Panerai etc any more, as there isn’t a watch in the world I like that much even if I could afford it!! - I don’t think it’s a coincidence that micro brands have appeared to satisfy the WIS who doesn’t own a private jet ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The blue dial BP is lovely, as is the black.
    But. I think it loses its Big now they've shrunk it to 43mm. More like Medium Pilot and the big for me was some of the appeal.

Craftsman
    The only thing big about this now is it’s price.

Master
    Still a little too big, 42mm might do the trick. I suspect the age of great big watches is gone....the simplicity is nice.

I have a 47mm Pilot watch and while it would be nice to have an IWC, it wouldn’t actually look all that different for the price. Pretty agricultural design from an aesthetic standpoint. Suppose you could say that about other watch designs.

Might stretch to a Laco or Stowa.

43mm great for the smaller wrist crowd.

It’s an odd choice. The Mark XVIII wears fairly large as a 40mm, I’m not sure a near identical looking watch at 43mm brings much to the table.

Having said that, the 46mm big pilot looked monstrously large so maybe this is for people who want a big bold watch, just not THAT big and bold? Quite a small market, I would think. Then again, what do I know...

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    IWC has also brought out a 41mm Pilot Chronograph with their in house movement. I like this a lot.

There isn’t a black dial version yet, and I see it is no longer antimagnetic, with an open case back. It’s thinner than the Spitfire version, probably due to the soft iron core being removed.

D

I'm quite interested in this too. It's still a bit thick and the lugs are quite long but overall, given the smaller diameter, I think it will wear ok. The bracelet looks great too. Whilst I could do without the polished links, I think the quick release, tool free link removal and tool free micro adjust on the clasp make it a really well designed bracelet. I wish more brands would incorporate those features.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

D

I really like that! I wanted the current model but at 43mm its too big for my wrist, the 41mm could be perfect for me! I wonder when they will appear in AD , so I can try on for size.

Craftsman
    I like the chronograph ,used to have an older model about 8 years ago ,I would like to get into the iwc brand again ,I wonder if they will do anything interesting with their divers models

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Worth noting that the 43mm really conveys the spirit of the original IWC fliegers with time only complication although they were 55mm! But this watch is IMHO the essence of the flieger more so than the 46mm BP

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like that the numerical indices on the dial aren't cut off. That always looks like a lack of planning or bodging it to me.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Worth noting that the 43mm really conveys the spirit of the original IWC fliegers with time only complication although they were 55mm! But this watch is IMHO the essence of the flieger more so than the 46mm BP

GLWTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    GLWTS!
    Arrives tomorrow so SC is safe for now ;)